The Chateau Diaries #69 Thomas, Marie Selmar ... Snorty are you next?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Iā€™m thinking we havenā€™t seen much of Selmar because he was working on tv projects. He restored all of the gilded chairs in the room we ā€œhavenā€™t seenā€ yet. There about four projects we havenā€™t seen so far, I think. She probably put him on tv as he was popular in the vlogs. I think thatā€™s why the loo was put off along with garden stuff, etc. sheā€™s going to pay more attention to the tv stuff because more people will see it. Not defending, but I think thatā€™s whatā€™s been going on. He may be somewhat on the outs, or Amoire can on the scene to improve the projects for tv and the Patreons. I think sheā€™s going to keep doing things at a clip as long as the money is coming in. I think she wants to have musical events on the grounds, etc. whether or not she can hang in there until itā€™s all done remains to be seen.
I don't think he would be what producers would want on t.v. You can't understand him either. Those gold chairs were shown months ago again in a video relegated to a dump pile all dusty and forgotten. And he has been traveling extensively for months. So nope. I don't feel that Selmar has been a contributing element at the Shanty for a good long time. And most of his work is below par IMO.
Of course, my favorite squirrelšŸ™„ does not contribute anything to the Shanty either....

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Interesting to see Bordeaux Life doing a daily vlog in an attempt to get their subscriber numbers up and probably Patreon numbers up as well.
I'm getting tired of the Shatoo gang cleaning rooms and acting like they just completed one of the Labors of Hercules.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Mpk demonstrated his ability to communicate in French when he and Isais (sp?) went to the neighbors on the golf cart to get a bottle of milk.
He said 'Oui' twice and muttered Chateau whilst pointing at the hay.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I'm getting tired of the Shatoo gang cleaning rooms and acting like they just completed one of the Labors of Hercules.
How to make a bed (in France), how to yank down old wallpaper (in France).....these things are not vlog worthy and stupidly uninteresting. They're wasting their time.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Let's not forget there is nothing thoughtful about helping a swindler get even richer by pretending she's doing it all for charity. That chanel should have been shut down before she even started it, it's just all very bad taste, considering the state of the world. Sj has made it very clear, by ignoring all criticism even from the people closest to her, that she will only give to charity if she gets things in return. The uplifting feeling of being able to help others, what should be the true motivation for charity, escapes her if she's not compensated heavily.
Who with a clear mind would do such a thing as that cadeauvlog..i would hate it...there are more ways to give to charity..instead of letting people send her even more crap for her already cluttered madhouse...that book and that fleacircus whats it called princess mouse?? thing...omg...quel horreur.. But Fan is a hoarder...the only thing she doesnt collect are probably knickers :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Interesting to see Bordeaux Life doing a daily vlog in an attempt to get their subscriber numbers up and probably Patreon numbers up as well.
Because they are featured on Chateau DIY this week ( in the uk), so are catering for hopeful new viewers from there. ( they mentioned this last week)

Reactions: 8
OHHH so so true! Events are subject to all that and more. We have had some disasters here. Nobody comes and it is all in place. Everyone comes and the highway is congested and the council goes mad. Weather turns foul and everyone leaves. It is a minefield.We have decided now not to hold too many - one off put in place that runs for a few months - just set up once only. Keep it simple.
This actual business plan talk is of real importance.
So, @Le Comte de Monte Cristo, I took away from your last serving of the nitty gritty that a steady income from gites was more profitable than a B n B business. But you seem now to say gites alone are not enough, you think, to support a chateau? So, if I were interested in preserving the not-very-old or illustrious hunting lodge of the Fleuries -- or even their wonderful barns @Gibson is not the only diehard fan of -- my best bet for keeping them standing for another 200 years would be gites and not events/B n B? What other business should I diversify into?
Honestly I think Anna could make more money giving wallpaper workshops once she's got studio space out there (indoor event, could she charge ā‚¬2500 a pop, as much as Shrek and Fiona wanted to for their Disneybound cosplay workshops?). Phillip could do video workshops for the husbands. Don't know how profitable these are.
I keep going back to Dick and Angel, who repeatedly went over other chateau grifters' "business plans" -- pure :poop: -- and told them that weddings are the only way to make the mortgage money. People tend not to flake on the date even if the weather is bad, etc. Plus I would guess the markup on cheap plonk and wildflowers is massive. (I have to say I FFd Edd and Anna in the new episode of Chateau DIY. She works so hard and he's such a pig.)
I don't know if Brexit is going to affect this British fantasy wedding business in France, which is offensive to me on several grounds having to do with plantation colonialism. If the grifter chateau owners did anything for the locals, or learned French, or directed their guests to buy at local French businesses, I'd be a little less grossed out by the whole vampire wedding business.
I keep thinking how a worker cooperative laundry could work for the chateaux, organized and perhaps housed by the chatelaine, servicing local businesses and enriching its local worker-owners. Stuff like that. Rural France and the chateaux need real economic development plans -- what would work, all you business people? Fish farming? Workshops? George Sand [insert local French icon/hero] conferences? Digital download PDF wallpaper patterns or Tres Riches Heures needlepoint cell phone holder patterns?

Last edited:
Check out Nina Campbells collaboration with Dreweatts for the sale of items from the Sitwells home, Weston Hall, to see how it should be done. Sadly too late for Steph and her young ward!

• Heart
Sep 16, 2021
KyBourbon said:
And another thingā€¦(sorry, I canā€™t help it! šŸ˜„)ā€¦thereā€™s also baby Ernest and now, baby Archie. And all the little animals and pets! Thatā€™s a gold mine of content! The same viewers who love MPKā€™s Spode, AGA, antique shopping, and jam also LOVE kids and animals. Why not set up and film your nephew, baby Ernest, on a picnic outdoors at the chateauā€¦with a Peter Rabbit theme? Your fans would go wild! And throw in a few petsā€¦itā€™s like hitting the lotto!
I posted the comment (above) back on 9/16ā€¦looks like MPK might have taken the advice! His latest ā€œChicken Vlogā€ included baby Ernest AND chickens, turkeys, and baby ducks! Kids and animals! šŸ˜†

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
SJ had put all her money (well not HER money, obviously and definitely not all) on Tatty being a catfish. She was preparing for Selmar to return from his trip with a broken heart so they could comfort him by warmly offering him their support (in return for some jobs he still needed to finish obviously). Tatty being an actual person AND apparently his girlfriend, has made him unreceptive to SJ's natural charm that used to get him going.
I see things are not going as the charlataine wants it to go. Good.

She's thirsty and is living in the middle of nowhere
What are Nutty's hopes and dreams for the future? Wasting her youth and life at a HMN? She's a competent human being, and she has a degree, she could get a job anywhere.

Maybe it's the start of a great homosexual love affair
Oh no. We were after Biffy & Rien's queerbaiting banter. I do not want to see Dan do that with Armoire! :sick:

• Heart
Reactions: 13
i'll have to watch it again and twist things round to see if I would be offended as a woman..... Although I think it's just banter.
Right, you've forced me to watch Dan's video again šŸ„“šŸ˜…. Oops I've been "triggered" at 3 minutes in when he said shopping for some boys stuff (how very dare he!) Must have missed this first time round staring at Amore (soz). Mmm seems to focus his camera on Amore's arse a lot.... Can't say I got triggered by the man bun/bag saga. So basically I personally myself didn't go looking to be offended. Sorry not sorry. xxxxxx

• Haha
Well I'm split between London and farming country in East Anglia and I can tell you the Man bun is well and truly ALIVE in a multi generational way too! I'm unsure where Dan hails from in the UK. No Dan doesn't need to like man buns, but there is a machismo overtone running through his critique of Amaury and I'm not sure why he's even saying it - it's an antiquated way of thinking. This machismo idea that all signs of femininity are to be rooted out and exposed and therefore ripe for mockery is a bit uncomfortable viewing. Blimey, I didn't think I that was particularly woke....

Then again maybe it is jealousy? Maybe it's the start of a great homosexual love affair, watch out Annalise looks like Dan has eyes for tugging on a pocket size stallion's mane instead of yours....
That's reading rather a lot into a bit of typical British male banter. So Dan is a woman hater and in the closet? šŸ¤”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Wow - thatā€™s passive aggressive their retired ??? Fair play to them retiring in their 50s ā€¦ a dream for most

they left their jobs - sold their home bought a dream a heap and renovated in 2 years on a savagely tight budget ā€¦ guess you havenā€™t seen ETTC ā€¦ or youā€™d know šŸ˜‚

not
Never had a job
Bought a heap
Partial Reno over 16 years
Patron
duck all accomplished

flurries are they ā€œnot retiredā€ -
Left their jobs
Bought a heap
Reno .. 2 years

guess it must be the Anglo / Franco situation ā€¦ with you conte ā€¦ yer really not feeling the Anglo s ,ā€¦.,
no i dont watch ETTCDIY.. we have it here too in the afternoon...my mother in law likes it a lott.. ;) but i guess there must be money somewhere...we also have something on tv here..its called.. Ik vertrek...meaning I leave..emigrating......renovating hotels, sometimes a chateau,....only the ones with a nice filled bankaccount servive...its not always mentioned in the show though.... And no i dont have Anglo blood...;) We bought our French house finished...i hate renovating..

• Heart
And also making gĆ®tes and B&B rooms doesn't mean people will come in crowds and rent them. How many want to stay in luxury chĆ¢teau style rooms? Especially at Lalande?
They need to invest a lot first till they can make real money from it. It will take many years till the make a profit. To me it seems quite a risk.
Also it is real work to run a B&B and even the gĆ®tes but they make it seem like something they can do next to renovating all day and running a huge chĆ¢teau with plenty of grounds. There must be much more (and more money behind) they are not telling because earning 7000ā‚¬ a month just to cover the running costs seems really a lot. And only with 4 rooms? And what about their food, clothing, cars, etc? They seem to have an expensive lifestyle.
I wonder how people chose a profession not at all related to hospitality and suddenly are all so eager to host guests and even cook for them. (And I am sure that they hire cheap help to do the cleaning and sheets) all the energy to get permits or do some training to be able to run a B&B but not really being properly educated would stress me out especially when I have a degree and a real profession.
They could earn lots more just working in their original jobs.
I don't see them driving expensive cars or investing in their wardrobes or food. It's her talent to look effortlessly chic and expensive on a budget. I imagine they reserved some money for the renovation and kick-starting their B&B but now the money is gone and they didn't manage to be on budget. One guestroom and a kitchen left unfinished.

Philipp doesn't speak about his father. Maybe he has a chip on his shoulder and needs to show off? Chateau is a statement for sure ;)

Reactions: 4
Check out Nina Campbells collaboration with Dreweatts for the sale of items from the Sitwells home, Weston Hall, to see how it should be done. Sadly too late for Steph and her young ward!
I love the phrase "Steph and her young ward", šŸ˜

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I recognize so much of Selmar's attitude towards Sj and her HMN from when my friends were at the end of their stay. It's like things have gotten really old and boring after having gone through SJ's game play over and over again. There's no real escape on the horizon for him just yet so he has to pretend all is still pretty okay, but the opposite clearly shows. Things are not okay and he should leave a.s.a.p. Big difference with the situation then is that Selmar brought his own house and he can leave whenever he wants to. His biggest mistake though was bringing Tatty over, she might be pushing him to stay, especially now that she seems to have moved inside the HMN.
Yep that is how I got with my sister. And actually on one of my last texts to her back in March was ," I am tired of playing these games". Narcs just wear you out. And they get away with "their games" for SO long with SO many people. I finally had to cut the cord. And for me it is a relief but sad as she is my only sister. My only brother ( I being in the middle) is finally getting his fill of her too...which for me, again, is a relief that he "gets it" now but also sad. My sister is the oldest. I wonder if narcissism is more common in the oldest sibling or just random???

• Heart
Reactions: 9
passive aggressive - can someone explain to me what on earth this means, in plain UK English. Because I found this on google and think is a heap of crap.

Major signs of passive-aggressive behavior include:
  • Always arriving late.
  • Sulking.
  • Sullenness.
  • Procrastination.
  • Intentional inefficiency.
  • Stubbornness.
  • ā€œForgettingā€ to do something.
  • Avoiding people when they're upset with them.
Seriously? Then you are lucky when you only experienced open aggressiveness sofar-at least you can react to someone being directly aggressive and you know who your enemies are.
Arriving late instead of telling right away you can't make it and making you wait is stealing your time, the same like stealing your money.
Sulking and being sullen is plain annoying and is to make you fell guilty which steals alot of energy if you fall for it.
Procrastination and inefficiency - see Steph. Causes direct damage and delays your success, and again so stressful. The adult thing would be to tell right away that you can't do it and you could look for another person to do it. Same thing with forgetting things.

My MIL for example promised to send important letters regarding my visa to authorities which guaranteed that I can stay longer than 6 months outside of Germany (when living in USA). Long story short: she basically wrote (of course way too late, too) something like : my dil who is not supposed to leave Germany longer than 6 months left Germany for longer than 6 months... Later claimed that since she is an old woman (52 at that time!) and she didn't understand how urgent it was ( would lose unlimited right to stay in Germany, this was way before Croatia was in EUšŸ™„)
Such a lie because we made it so clear multiple times. Anyway her job was just to deliver a letter, nobody asked her to write an extra note explaining thingsšŸ˜
I learned my lesson not to trust anybody with important things...
And finally realised that she REALLY doesn't like me when even trying to get me kicked out of the countryšŸ˜‚

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
COMPARE AND CONTRAST

View attachment 784620

JANUARY 18
christiesinteriors
Verified

The Art of Entertaining: The Collection of Mr. & Mrs. John H. Gutfreund 834 Fifth Avenue is dedicated the concept of art de vivre. The extensive domestic offices at 834 included a large butlerā€™s pantry and silver vault brimming with porcelain, silver and table decorations.
Bid on beautiful lots, including porcelain and silver, which is sure to look stunning in any home.
The Art of Entertaining: The Collection of Mr. & Mrs. John H. Gutfreund 834 Fifth Avenue, Online, 14-28 January, 2021

View attachment 784619

SJ's and BJJ's sad attempt at a luncheon table setting. How to make beautiful china look cheap.
That kind of china and silver, not my jam. But it is beautiful and desirable to others and if it were my job to sell it, honest to God I would have committed harakiri before putting such badly styled food on it, butchered with trademark bad knife work, such horrific tablecloth and flowers under/around. Who drinks wine with tea? Or asparagus? Errrrrghhhhhhhhhh.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.