Secret Celebrity Gossip #104

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i wonder if this will actually change anything. i do feel for her as she’s apparently genuinely good in the role and this all appears to be her agent’s doing but, still. interesting 🤔

I think it was massively cringey the way they all went about it. And Frances Fisher went online and said two nominees were locks (Viola Davis and Danielle Deadwyler) which is against the Academy rules.

Reactions: 4
I think it was massively cringey the way they all went about it. And Frances Fisher went online and said two nominees were locks (Viola Davis and Danielle Deadwyler) which is against the Academy rules.
the puck news article that just dropped about it makes it even cringier too:

“Belloni states that it's "pretty clear" at this point that To Leslie director Michael Morris, his wife Mary McCormack, Riseborough's manager Jason Weinberg, and others directly involved in the campaign, "broke or stretched beyond credulity those rules about harassing-sorry, lobbying-members via emails and calls.

Belloni calls out the perception that this campaign was "grassroots" and "organic" and says that McCormack knew directing an Oscar nominated performance would benefit her husbands bourgeoning film career greatly (To Leslie is Morris's first feature film after decades of directing TV) and so she went overboard.

Belloni exchanged texts with two separate reps of actors who posted about Riseborough and the film on social media the week of Oscar voting. The reps told him that their clients, "were contacted over and over again, with pleas to watch the movie, attend a screening, host a screening, post on social, etc. One [actor] said they were invited to McCormack and Morris's home several times for events/screenings, even though they've never met.”

i know everyone campaigns and networks and tries to charm the voters but 😬
---

Indeed we have one here. I'll bring the toe of frog 🐸.
aw man that’s what i was gonna bring 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 5
How come this thread always comes back to Saville and child abusers?? It’s a celebrity gossip site.
The conspiracy theorists keep breaking containment.

It's the fake "grassroots" of it all. The director's wife is an actress and she just emailed all her friends and gave them copy and paste tweets to post. It was so disingenuous.

Edit: Just seen that @LaBlonde has summed it up with more detail above!

Reactions: 12
I think it's pretty rich that they're acting like no one's ever lobbied for an award before. Harvey Weinstein built an entire mini-industry around creating Oscar bait.

Reactions: 21
the puck news article that just dropped about it makes it even cringier too:

“Belloni states that it's "pretty clear" at this point that To Leslie director Michael Morris, his wife Mary McCormack, Riseborough's manager Jason Weinberg, and others directly involved in the campaign, "broke or stretched beyond credulity those rules about harassing-sorry, lobbying-members via emails and calls.

Belloni calls out the perception that this campaign was "grassroots" and "organic" and says that McCormack knew directing an Oscar nominated performance would benefit her husbands bourgeoning film career greatly (To Leslie is Morris's first feature film after decades of directing TV) and so she went overboard.

Belloni exchanged texts with two separate reps of actors who posted about Riseborough and the film on social media the week of Oscar voting. The reps told him that their clients, "were contacted over and over again, with pleas to watch the movie, attend a screening, host a screening, post on social, etc. One [actor] said they were invited to McCormack and Morris's home several times for events/screenings, even though they've never met.”

i know everyone campaigns and networks and tries to charm the voters but 😬
---

aw man that’s what i was gonna bring 😭
Even Cate Blanchett called out Andrea Riesborough in her acceptance speech

Reactions: 2
I think it's pretty rich that they're acting like no one's ever lobbied for an award before. Harvey Weinstein built an entire mini-industry around creating Oscar bait.
it’s more that they’ve actively broken the rules this time (in a number of different ways).

weinstein is a pos but he got campaigning down to an art form really. you’re meant to charm and network and go to all the luncheons and the dinners - but you can’t directly approach voters and academy members and tell them to watch your movie (which is what’s apparently happened in this case) and you can’t use influence to publicly disparage other potential nominees, which is again what’s apparently happened here.
---

Even Cate Blanchett called out Andrea Riesborough in her acceptance speech
and ed norton randomly tweeted telling people to watch it because riseborough was amazing in it (despite also saying “i never normally do this” 🤣)

you have to admire the gameplan of it all but it has completely ruined what probably should have been a happy occasion for her.

Reactions: 9
My mum died in November of lung cancer, but it was small cell type that's genetic (something turned on a dodgy gene). It is surprisingly common (lung cancer) with women. My mum was diagnosed at stage 4, and told even if the month before they'd have never found it! She lived longer than they expected (she was almost 80 when she died). Diagnosed in May 2021, and they expected she'd not live long after Xmas 2021.

As for the truth on Childline, I don't know, it opens a lot of cans of worms regarding child abuse.
Was the Childline thing the abuse in boarding schools?

Reactions: 2
I remember reading an interview with Michael Douglas and he was saying the weeks before the Oscar vote they spent all day on the phones to their friends begging them to vote for Catherine in Chicago.

i was really shocked as I never thought they did things like that!

Reactions: 17
it’s more that they’ve actively broken the rules this time (in a number of different ways).

weinstein is a pos but he got campaigning down to an art form really. you’re meant to charm and network and go to all the luncheons and the dinners - but you can’t directly approach voters and tell them to watch your movie (which is what’s apparently happened in this case) and you can’t use influence to publicly disparage other potential nominees, which is again what’s apparently happened here.
I guess, but...so what? You can put "For Your Consideration" ads in the trades and go on talk shows and send out screeners but you can't approach people directly? And it doesn't sound like she said "vote for me," or bribed anyone, it sounds like she asked people to watch her movie and those people were impressed on their own.

I rather like Christina Ricci's take: "Seems hilarious that the ‘surprise nomination’ (meaning tons of money wasn’t spent to position this actress) of a legitimately brilliant performance is being met with an investigation .... So it’s only the films and actors that can afford the campaigns that deserve recognition? Feels elitist and exclusive and frankly very backward to me."

We all know Blanchett is going to win this year so it feels like it matters even less than it normally does, and it normally matters very little.

Reactions: 28
Was the Childline thing the abuse in boarding schools?
No. Some people claimed that as Esther worked for the BBC along with Savile, and she headed childline that she was covering up for Savile.

It's bloody ridiculous, yes there was suspicion around Savile, but unless you’ve SEEN something how can you report him? He had been dead for a few years before anything came out too.

I guess, but...so what? You can put "For Your Consideration" ads in the trades and go on talk shows and send out screeners but you can't approach people directly? And it doesn't sound like she said "vote for me," or bribed anyone, it sounds like she asked people to watch her movie and those people were impressed on their own.

I rather like Christina Ricci's take: "Seems hilarious that the ‘surprise nomination’ (meaning tons of money wasn’t spent to position this actress) of a legitimately brilliant performance is being met with an investigation .... So it’s only the films and actors that can afford the campaigns that deserve recognition? Feels elitist and exclusive and frankly very backward to me."

We all know Blanchett is going to win this year so it feels like it matters even less than it normally does, and it normally matters very little.
i mean sadly i’m not a member of the academy and don’t make the rules 🤣 i just think it’s a deeply interesting story from all viewpoints, including what christina ricci says above. in all the fuss around the ✨campaign✨ the fact that she apparently gives a genuinely good performance has been lost.

as ricci says, it’s interesting what would have happened if this was a better known actress (say emily blunt, or someone in that level of fame) rather than someone more indie like riseborough is. the same level of analysis should be being done on michelle williams’ ridic nom, or ana de armas even. as it is, riseborough is probably never going to be able to look back on this with any sense of pride, through no real fault of her own.

i wouldn’t say the oscars matter very little either. award shows have lost their prestige in general but everyone still “wants” an oscar, for all its many many faults.
---

I remember reading an interview with Michael Douglas and he was saying the weeks before the Oscar vote they spent all day on the phones to their friends begging them to vote for Catherine in Chicago.

i was really shocked as I never thought they did things like that!
it’s the same way really that people get “consolation oscars” or win the year after the performance they should have actually won for. it’s a big old popularity contest.

Feels elitist and exclusive and frankly very backward to me.
Andrea’s film was backed by some of the most elite people in Hollywood though. And two women of colour ended up not being nominated over a film that made hardly any money and wasn’t well known until all these celebrities started tweeting out, in some cases the exact same thing. People mention Weinstein but we are supposed to be passed his tenure in Hollywood. And the team for To Leslie have just been so sloppy about it but have the gall to call it grassroots.
I think it would be great if people didn’t campaign for an Oscar. Just win it on merit.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The only Oscar I’m interested in this year is if Brendan Fraser wins for The Whale.
colin farrell is probably his biggest competition but i think brendan has it in the bag. the sag awards will be the best indicator in a few weeks but it’s looking good (and he deserves it).

Reactions: 6
I don’t think it’s supposed to be simulating piss.. that’s what I’ve read on Twitter..
Look, I don't want to go on about it, but come on. We've all got eyes. There's two rows of men facing what looks like golden urinals, hands each roughly genital height. Then, next shot, arc of liquid comes spluttering in, straight into Sam's mouth.

Let's not be naive, the bullshit on twitter about 'It's not even piss, you've got a filthy mind, you're the sick one' - is hardcore deflection. We all know understand how imagery works, if you put me in the mind set of 'toilet' with the urinals and postures, and liquid comes in, guess what? I'm going to make assumptions. Everyone would. Simple as that.

1675115686659.png

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
colin farrell is probably his biggest competition but i think brendan has it in the bag. the sag awards will be the best indicator in a few weeks but it’s looking good (and he deserves it).
The Best Actor nominees look strong this year, though I haven’t heard of the films Bill Night and Paul Mescal were in.
I think it would be great if The Banshees of Inisherin won everything they were nominated for.

• Heart
I’m going to make myself unpopular here: Brendan Fraser doing the therapy circuit around Hollywood is also an Oscar campaign. He may have turned in a great performance, and the things he’s saying may be true. That doesn’t make it not a campaign. And it’s worked! I suspect most if not everyone who is rooting for him to win is doing so because they like him and feel bad for him, and the movie is secondary.

As for the women of color who were allegedly shut out, Viola Davis has been nominated four times and won once. I don’t think her career will be affected. As for the other actress, I haven’t seen Till so I can’t speak to whether the performance is more worthy than Riseborough’s.

Reactions: 22
The Best Actor nominees look strong this year, though I haven’t heard of the films Bill Night and Paul Mescal were in.
I think it would be great if The Banshees of Inisherin won everything they were nominated for.
i haven’t seen bill nighy’s either but paul mescal was maybe my favourite performance of the year. i just can’t see him winning as it would be just too out of left field.

banshees will win original screenplay definitely but i think it will miss out in most sadly (best supporting actor is a lock, eeaao is probably getting best picture and best director) but who knows.

(apologies, i should start an awards season thread. i love this nonsense 🤣)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.