Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Being liked is not the cool girl ethos.

To clarify - we shouldn't make it a priority (or be bothered at all, to be frank) and this is a whole issue women commonly encounter, but this was more in the vain of what @Handmaid wrote above.
I get the impression SH wants to be admired but more importantly envied. For her impossibly youthful visage, her sassy attitude (no BS) and her cool girl gang. This is the image she is selling that she wants us to buy into. That's how influencers work I suppose, selling a carefully curated lifestyle so we aren't even always aware it is a soft sell. We think they are just being our friend and kindly showing us glimpses of their life. And helpfully on the way showing us items we can purchase to get that life.

Reactions: 19

PoleStar

Chatty Member
Rolexes are ugly, nothing but vulgar status signifiers, and who even wears a watch in 2019?
I wear a Cartier watch every day (going to work on the bus, at work, home, shopping - everywhere), I bought it with some money I inherited when my parents died. I enjoy wearing a watch, I don't feel dressed without it (same goes for earrings). I could never have afforded it on my own salary, but wanted something lovely to remind me of my parents every time I see it. I can't stand Sali, but there's nothing wrong with wearing a Rolex. My dad wore his (bought in the 1960s, a very discreet and non-flashy model) every day until he died, now my brother wears it after inheriting it from dad. I don't think it's fair to assume someone's a dick for wearing a nice watch.

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
“It’s very sad that enough people have woken up and smelt the Chanel so I can’t get away with my usual bullshit anymore”

• Haha

Burnt Toast

I would probably have said something to the woman with the suitcases, although I like to think I would have been more polite and less hectoring. I certainly wouldn't have recorded it and made it public so that I could be told how brave I was. As I head towards 50, I'm embracing my inner grumpy old woman as the teenager in the park who I told to pick up the chewing gum he'd spat out can testify. He did, and put it in the bin I indicated, all bravado vanished. Two coppers heard me and turned to watch, one fingering his taser thoughtfully, but I'm not sure if the chewing gum spitter saw them.

And yes, I saw the mouldy grout on La Hirons post - imagine expecting your fans to pay £290 for that set and not even taking the time to photograph it properly. If I hadn't already decided against it on the basis that I don't like one-size-fits-all kits, the price, the number sent out to "influencers" and so on, I would have decided against it on the basis of the black mould.

This was my first post since finding this site after That Friday and it's been a joy to find a group of such bright, witty sceptics!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I know it is just her manner but SH replies on IG can come across as so snippy. It must be annoying people keep asking where she got her jumper/lipstick etc when it is in the description but she says 'look in the description. It always says there' which takes far longer than 'Ganni'. Just don't reply. Then the person says 'oh sorry' which makes them feel stupid for taking an interest. Sx.
I don't think she has the people skills or personality her job requires. In fact, I don't think she likes... people. She has a very mercurial temperament, is hypersensitive to criticism, is loudly and rigidly opinionated. All fine I guess, but only if you accept that youre naturally going to rub some people the wrong way. Some people wont like who you are, what you do or say and you just live with it, that's life isn't it?

Who knows where that undercurrent of rage, entitlement, resentment comes from. The Train audio is a good example of what I mean - weirdly disproportionate amount of wrath for the situation. Plus, she records herself humiliating a stranger to then post on her professional account? Oddly immature behaviour from a person pushing 50, imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

melfish

VIP Member
Oh god CM's face-pulling is insufferable. Is some kind of tic? Does she do it all the time IRL?

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
That behaviour belies the group description a tad: "A friendly place to talk and learn about all things skincare. This is a safe place for everyone ..."
'Safe place' my arse it's like the fucking Hunger Games in there.

Btw, and this is so petty I am well aware, but why has SH set herself up as some sort of authority on the wonderful Elizabeth Taylor? There are a stream of retweeted quite unremarkable anecdotes about her, fallen upon slavishly by SH and Lauren Laverne as proof of her 'sassiness'. Lauren even thinks 'she could've been our mate' 😂😂😂.

• Haha
  • Heart

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
Oh! I have been blocked on instagram by SH today. My username here is completely different, but I can see how a connection was made via a post I wrote earlier in the week here. Given she has 150k followers, that’s dedication. (I occasionally liked her posts on Instagram but can only remember commenting once, nicely, with a nice reply. Probably about a year ago.)
Her talents are wasted! Lauren, was there a second shooter on the grassy knoll?

• Haha

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
Sali, I am not even sure who she appeals to these days.
This. She shot herself in the foot by only appealing to her luvvie little circle. Years ago, Sali would have hooted like an owl if she saw an influencer doing an ad for hair straighteners on a train, whereas now she's doing it. The folk who follow her with a critical thinking mindset must be thinking WTF

I got into Lisa Eldridge after watching her Meeting the Ex video. Something we can all relate to, she was so kind, encouraging and warm. I was going through a horrendous break up at the time and some days, it felt like LE was by my side when I was putting on my slap, as daft as that sounds. Sali Hughes would pretend to be Liz Taylor telling me to put on my lipstick and pull myself together.

• Heart

rosemarina

VIP Member
I think she meant “Thank you! What a nice thing to say. No, somebody else dyes it for me”.

Rude fucking bitch.

• Haha
  • Wow

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
As regards likeability, I started following Esther Coren on Instagram after people mentioned her here and she just comes across as such a likeable person. She just seems very down to earth and and able to laugh at herself etc, just 'normal'.

Sali always seems to be on some kind of (self appointed) pedestal and gives off a 'stay away from me' air. She's not relatable to the average woman.

Reactions: 16

PoleStar

Chatty Member
I was pleased in a way to see SH back on Instagram this week. Not that I was breathlessly awaiting her opinion on the CH kit or to know what she had for dinner but I was glad to see that she had recovered from the upset. I do think the Friday video was a shameless piece of get-your-retaliation-in-first media manipulation but I'm sure the upset was genuine and I don't wish her ill.

I think she does need to re-evaluate what it means to be an honest beauty journalist/influencer. As said upthread, the goalposts have move significantly since she started out. What seemed to be her definition of honesty (I won't say I like a product if I don't) is no longer good enough given her multiple connections with brands, her own use of cosmetic procedures and how readers' and consumers' expectations have changed.

I think she also needs to take Suzanne Moore's advice and find a way of coming terms with the questioning and criticism - and, in some cases, hate and abuse - that comes with being a writer, particularly these days. In the Guardian recently Suzanne wrote about how young women aspiring to be journalists are held back by 'this dreadful need to be liked'. She says 'I wouldn't advise anyone who wants to be liked to write for a living'.
I don't understand this constant need to be liked! Maybe it's a generational thing? I'm in my 50s and I long ago realised it's completely unrealistic to like and be liked by everyone we encounter in life. Everyone likes or dislikes different things or people, influenced by our experiences as we grow up and evolve and, as we all have different experiences, we all end up with our own unique set of preferences. I have met many people in life who I haven't liked, or who haven't liked me, and that's absolutely fine, I can live with that quite comfortably. As long as people are polite and courteous to one another I don't see an issue; it's only when people are unable to maintain a level of civil interaction that problems arise and I think social media has, sadly, done a lot to undermine some people's understanding of what is unacceptable behaviour and what isn't - for instance, I found a lot of the language used by Sali and some of her followers in her recent rant session utterly inexcusable and revolting. I bet these people wouldn't dare speak to someone face to face in such a manner, but from the distance created by social media they seem to think it's OK. It's not OK, and I think it says an awful lot as to the true nature of some of these people.

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
As a new thread is looming, my proposal:

Sali Hughes 8: Lipsticks clickable, recommendations fickle, find me at the Chilli Pickle

• Haha
  • Heart

BettyDoodah

I had never seen Caroline Hirons' face anywhere as I've never followed her on any social media, only knew her name. Imagine my surprise when I saw those pics you lot posted above, I genuinely thought Sally had been pictured with Kim Woodburn.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
I do think she has a point about the suitcase but the way she goes about it gives me palpitations.

You can hear her voice quavering with anger and it suggests instability to me.

Back to the point I always make - it’s not possible to know what a person is going through. For all we know that woman has just got back off a night shift and run away from an abusive partner and has an invisible disability. We don’t know. Yes seats on trains are for humans and it’s very rude to take them up with bags but that can be suggested quietly.

Nimblepimble

I just read this. It starts ok. Yes try not to let failure destroy you but then it turns in to "but if it does it's your own fault". It sounds like something Priti Patel would write. Very Tory..."well I picked myself up by bootstraps....gravel for breakfast...etc".

This is a view often held by people who have never experienced true clinical mental illness for a sustained period....which is what causes many people to have these kind of big life failures.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Ferry

And The Pool's failure to pay its writers either in a timely manner, or at all, predated LL and SBs departure. The pair of them took a decent whack when they sold it and I have heard rumours that the staff weren't told the sale was going ahead until after it had happened.

It's worth pointing out that had some of its writers not gone public, The Pool would likely have continued commissioning new writers (many of them from groups of women who are under-represented in the media) knowing full well it had nothing in the bank to pay them with. Sadly it appears this has been swept under the carpet. What I also find egregious is that the subjects they were encouraged to write about- sexual assault, abortion, body image, eating issues etc - were especially sensitive. To not be paid . . . well.

There is no fucking way senior editors would not have known about payment problems because writers email their editors to ask how they can obtain payment and they do this out of desperation when accounts don't respond. If by any chance SB and LL didn't know, then that is a perfect example of what appallingly incompetent business owners they were. No wonder it folded.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry