Sali Hughes #7 Yes I threatened and yes I lie, but can I interest you in beauty pie?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Even a "pleasant" response starts with a "no" or "I always put it in the description". It's much improved from the usual but I can hear her teeth gritting.
hahahaha 100% on the teeth gritting. Being nice just doesn’t come naturally to her, at all. She was born snippy. BUT IS A GOOD PERSON.

the difference with LE is she is classy, a legend in her field and I think most importantly, she appeals to all ages. I bet her viewer demographic ticks virtually every box.

Sali, I am not even sure who she appeals to these days. Her ‘foundation series’ was on products that aren’t new, most have been covered and reviewed several times by various people. Her columns teach nothing. I actually don’t know what her purpose is anymore. Unless you are a sycophant she isn’t interested, she mustn’t be questioned. i used to think she was quite stylish and wore nice things, haven’t seen her wear anything in ages that I would give a second glance.

Reactions: 10
As regards likeability, I started following Esther Coren on Instagram after people mentioned her here and she just comes across as such a likeable person. She just seems very down to earth and and able to laugh at herself etc, just 'normal'.

Sali always seems to be on some kind of (self appointed) pedestal and gives off a 'stay away from me' air. She's not relatable to the average woman.
i also like the way Esther is clear in saying this moisturiser/serum/lipstick or whatever is not going to change your life- it’s just a nice product but it’s not the be all and end all of life or aspirations (do I mean aspiration? I’m muddling in my head what’s aspire word and what’s the breathing word)

ETA- just googled, it’s the same word!

Reactions: 7
Sali, I am not even sure who she appeals to these days.
This. She shot herself in the foot by only appealing to her luvvie little circle. Years ago, Sali would have hooted like an owl if she saw an influencer doing an ad for hair straighteners on a train, whereas now she's doing it. The folk who follow her with a critical thinking mindset must be thinking WTF

I got into Lisa Eldridge after watching her Meeting the Ex video. Something we can all relate to, she was so kind, encouraging and warm. I was going through a horrendous break up at the time and some days, it felt like LE was by my side when I was putting on my slap, as daft as that sounds. Sali Hughes would pretend to be Liz Taylor telling me to put on my lipstick and pull myself together.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Plus, listening to Lisa Eldridge is a soothing experience, whereas listening to Sali has become...well, it makes me kinda nervous. The breathing and all that.

i also like the way Esther is clear in saying this moisturiser/serum/lipstick or whatever is not going to change your life- it’s just a nice product but it’s not the be all and end all of life or aspirations (do I mean aspiration? I’m muddling in my head what’s aspire word and what’s the breathing word)

ETA- just googled, it’s the same word!
I know, right? Apparently there's no money to be made from just saying "this is a nice product" or "does the job". It's always holy grail/life-changing etc. Oh and of course they're always ~obsessed~ with sth.

i used to think she was quite stylish and wore nice things, haven’t seen her wear anything in ages that I would give a second glance.
I know, right? Those weird grenson boots, for one thing. She wears them with everything!! Even dresses. And the the shoes in this ensemble are awful. In fact the outfit as a whole is. Look!! To think she used offer fashion consults!!

174FCE22-9C6D-4DA1-A9DD-5AFD4E1292D2.png

Reactions: 2
This. She shot herself in the foot by only appealing to her luvvie little circle. Years ago, Sali would have hooted like an owl if she saw an influencer doing an ad for hair straighteners on a train, whereas now she's doing it. The folk who follow her with a critical thinking mindset must be thinking WTF

I got into Lisa Eldridge after watching her Meeting the Ex video. Something we can all relate to, she was so kind, encouraging and warm. I was going through a horrendous break up at the time and some days, it felt like LE was by my side when I was putting on my slap, as daft as that sounds. Sali Hughes would pretend to be Liz Taylor telling me to put on my lipstick and pull myself together.
That's when I started to watch Lisa too. Such a calming reassuring voice and presence. She also did one for when you've had flu (I think) and she looked quite ropey to start with (beautiful as always but well, sick) and that too was so relatable. She reminds me of Nigella in that classy intelligent way.

Reactions: 6
I can't top this one but I'm a year older than the snippy one and I have vague memories of the jubilee party. I remember my dad wheelbarrow racing me down the street 😆

I do remember Tito dying mind, it was on BBC News. Also remember Enver Hoxha's death for some reason.

ETA: glad some of you found the scalp thingy link I posted helpful! I just love mine. Funny how little things can make a big difference.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (I don't know why this made me laugh so much)

Although I do have some memories going way back (not of Tito, I was born in 1984, he died 4 years before), she could say she remembered something from when she was 40 and I'd side eye her.

Sali, I am not even sure who she appeals to these days. Her ‘foundation series’ was on products that aren’t new, most have been covered and reviewed several times by various people. Her columns teach nothing. I actually don’t know what her purpose is anymore. Unless you are a sycophant she isn’t interested, she mustn’t be questioned. i used to think she was quite stylish and wore nice things, haven’t seen her wear anything in ages that I would give a second glance.
I wouldn't recommend her last IG video if you have a problem with seeing lint on someone's sweater. Or is my screen filthy?

With the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall coming up, wondering how Sali will tediously link onto that?

"At the time, I was a homeless runaway teenager, and whilst on the streets, I saw a wall."
I wore a piano scarf before David Hasselhoff.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I know, right? Those weird grenson boots, for one thing. She wears them with everything!! Even dresses. And the the shoes in this ensemble are awful. In fact the outfit as a whole is. Look!! To think she used offer fashion consults!!

View attachment 54277
Not sure really what is the point of doing ITB in a hotel bathroom? I know it is to chat to a visiting celeb and look at their products but I personally am not too interested in just product and a corporate hotel room, it was seeing inside someone's house that was the interesting part.

Reactions: 8
Is she interviewing someone who wouldn't dream of letting her in their actual bathroom again? I can just imagine the publicist, "we've had this odd request from a British writer who's asking if she can come and talk to you whilst sitting on the john...No, says she doesn't need to come into the rest of the suite, happy to sit on the can for the whole thing...Smacks of desperation to me but I don't think we've got anything to lose by agreeing to this one".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
It's more and more about a product the celebrity is selling than anything else.

Who ever it is, the first set of questions will be: Do you remember when you first got into beauty? Did your nan smell like powder and jasmine (as opposed to cabbage and manure)? What is your go to product? Do you ever rock a red lip?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Why would a four year old have a concept of writing as a job? We wrote stories for school or pleasure but 4 yr olds don’t hope to be in the Sunday Times bestseller list or published by The New Yorker. Jobs for 4 year old girls in the 70’s were teacher or nurse. Such a blatant lie.

Reactions: 3
Why would a four year old have a concept of writing as a job? We wrote stories for school or pleasure but 4 yr olds don’t hope to be in the Sunday Times bestseller list or published by The New Yorker. Jobs for 4 year old girls in the 70’s were teacher or nurse. Such a blatant lie.
4 years old, yes, that's right.
Do you remember when you were a kid and you'd get into that, 'Well I had the idea first!' 'No I did, I had it before I was born! I had it before your Mum was born.' It's like when I read personal statements on UCAS forms and they think saying 'I've adored literature and stories from when I was born' will somehow give them integrity and a place. Inevitably the rest of the PS is weak. As weak as you know what.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Not sure really what is the point of doing ITB in a hotel bathroom? I know it is to chat to a visiting celeb and look at their products but I personally am not too interested in just product and a corporate hotel room, it was seeing inside someone's house that was the interesting part.
She made a point of saying before that she only ever interviews people in their own bathroom

Reactions: 5
She will have been told “we need to work on your likeability” :sick:
What I don't understand is, even if the normies defiling your insta feed with their low-life questions makes you apoplectic, surely you can reign in the rage enough to write a courteous reply? Especially when it's in your own interest to do so? Imagine how irrepressibly mad she must be. Why on earth would you give in to that urge when your choreographed online persona is at stake?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
@Jade Mitzi ive got Born slippy in my head now after your ‘born snippy’ comment 😂.

I love the Lisa Eldridge post break-up video too. That’s an example of the power of make up without overstating it. Rather than waxing long but not lyrical about red lip as knicker pistol she doesn’t talk about it. She just calmly shows an example of it.

The thing I really like about Lisa is that she’s inspiring because she’s so focussed. She’s got the relaxed manner of someone who genuinely loves her craft, not for how she looks to other people whilst she’s doing it. I love that. It makes me want to be in a flow state all the time because it’s just such an attractive quality. Not like sexy attractive but it makes her an interesting person.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
As regards likeability, I started following Esther Coren on Instagram after people mentioned her here and she just comes across as such a likeable person. She just seems very down to earth and and able to laugh at herself etc, just 'normal'.

Sali always seems to be on some kind of (self appointed) pedestal and gives off a 'stay away from me' air. She's not relatable to the average woman.
I like Esther’s humour , even when she was hounded after the Sali pile on she remained bright and cheery online despite her horror at being attacked .
She is also charismatic and finds it easy to communicate, talking into a phone isn’t easy but she does it well , like KJH and Lisa.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.