Sali Hughes #7 Yes I threatened and yes I lie, but can I interest you in beauty pie?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The NYX primer in today’s column actually sounds really good even though I don’t wear foundation 😂.

I am an advertisers dream

• Haha
Reactions: 6
"When I say posh, I mean expensive. Which isn't to say any of the foundations in this video are cheap, but these are particularly expensive"

Oh goody! :rolleyes:

Katie Jane Hughes' comments about the launch of new foundations recently - i.e. they're the highest grossing category across all cosmetics, hence this series.

Reactions: 5
Most of the women writers I like and follow on Twitter - such as Nigella - tweeted support for Sali after her video/tweets that Friday. I interpreted it as an instinctive gesture of support for a person who was visibly upset rather than, necessarily, an endorsement of her portrayal of the Tattle Life comments.

Anyone who came here - as I did - to understand what had caused such upset would have found that it was not quite the way Sali had described it.
Some of them who tweeted support are people I've massively admired for years, like the actor Sam West, and who I hoped would have seen the subsequent Giles Coren video, or at least heard of it. Or/and come here - certainly the threads get thousands of views so who knows?

No comments again. Must affect things in that I read that once and won't look again. Comments meant I would look a few times mainly for readers cheaper suggestions.
Btw is it common knowledge primers should be left for a couple of minutes before you put on foundation? SH didn't mention it (so I assume it is) but it was a revelation to me, not that I use it that often tbh.
Screenshot 2019-10-26 at 10.36.58.png

Reactions: 2
“It’s very sad that enough people have woken up and smelt the Chanel so I can’t get away with my usual bullshit anymore”

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Morning, trolls!
I see she started the column with loathing, get a thesaurus.
Why does she sign her answer, there's her name and picture, is it common practice on SM? The x stands for kiss? Why put initials? Sorry for the dumb questions. As you've pointed out, all of these foundations have been reviewed thoroughly, but I suppose she thinks people are waiting for her approval before buying anything.
The sweater she's wearing in the video reminds me of socks our grandmothers used to make and you couldn't throw them away, so people would end up with bags of these tossed in the wardrobe. I envy that you're in sweater weather, it's still summer here, I can't deal with it anymore.

“It’s very sad that enough people have woken up and smelt the Chanel so I can’t get away with my usual bullshit anymore”
'We' had to make lolol. As if she had any control over or input into K Viner's decisions. The ego. Every single thing she posts isn't hers until it contains some fib, exaggeration, twisting of events or distortion of some sort.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Well, at least she has a writing style - exhausting repetitiveness followed by unimaginative fabrications.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I remember reading this article which seems to be a typical example of Sali’s tendency to slag off other women. Whilst it’s supposed to be self deprecating, it just comes across as a bitchfest of so called ‘proper mums.’ Almost like reverse snobbery, showing how insecure she really is/was. And although some of did resonate with me, I just can’t believe much of it (did she really used to stand outside the school gates in yesterday’s mascara? I thought not removing make up was the worst?!)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I tried to watch the foundation video but only got about 3 minutes in. I just dislike her too much to listen objectively to what she’s trying to say now. Everything about her irritates me even more than it used to. Plus I’ve seen all those foundations reviewed elsewhere by now.
have actually just done the same thing. I closed it down, she has no credibility to me anymore. She also just isn’t good in these IG videos, she lacks warmth and her breathing really could do with some media training. Oddly her old Graun videos where she sat on a table seemed much more genuine and natural.

plus, she is so behind. These foundations have already been reviewed to death online.

The NYX primer in today’s column actually sounds really good even though I don’t wear foundation 😂.

I am an advertisers dream
Neither do I, but I do wear primer, because I am a bit extra, and because those ‘cones make your skin feel soooo smooth. I don't have pilling problems if I wait a bit after my moisturiser, but I am also not super crazy about putting silicones on my face, so I appreciate the 'cone free alternatives, also because I don't like the REN one so much.

(I also appreciate that the NYX primer is currently sold in a super neat set with a fixing spray and a lip gloss, and yes, I really am my own worst enemy)

• Haha
I remember reading this article which seems to be a typical example of Sali’s tendency to slag off other women. Whilst it’s supposed to be self deprecating, it just comes across as a bitchfest of so called ‘proper mums.’ Almost like reverse snobbery, showing how insecure she really is/was. And although some of did resonate with me, I just can’t believe much of it (did she really used to stand outside the school gates in yesterday’s mascara? I thought not removing make up was the worst?!)

It's cool and edgy to be a slummy mummy, don't you know...

That article doesn't age well, it was an oddly critical read at the time but particularly now we are all constantly being schooled not to judge anyone else at all ever because we don't know what anyone's going through. Organised, on it Mums aren't doing it to cheese anyone off are they? Or are they?

The blue tickers rallying is the 'thoughts and prayers' reaction isn't it? And truthfully none of them are going to take the time to read here nor ever "appreciate it"as some sort of useful feedback. They all have huge online presences and a site dedicated to "scrutiny" (I use inverted commas here because a lot of what's on here (not these threads so much) is bat tit bitchy) is hideous to them. I can't imagine any of this lot are subject to appraisal or review (not that i'm saying that's the function here - that would be quite the stretch) like the rest of us jo shmos. Plus us jo shmos don't have 98% sycophancy following us round most spaces adoring and thanking and complimenting making questions seem like an attack. I'm referring only to the questions about Botox and maybe those lucrative brand relationships etc - I feel uncomfortable reading comments on the husband, particularly his appearance.

Reactions: 4
have actually just done the same thing. I closed it down, she has no credibility to me anymore. She also just isn’t good in these IG videos, she lacks warmth and her breathing really could do with some media training. Oddly her old Graun videos where she sat on a table seemed much more genuine and natural.

plus, she is so behind. These foundations have already been reviewed to death online.
Exactly. She’s not exciting, in fact I find her actually uncomfortable to watch, her ‘opinion’ is suspect to say the least and the subject she’s chosen is already old hat. She’s completely irrelevant

Reactions: 4
Morning Scumsters!

OK, I went to read the column and I honestly couldn't get past the first paragraph.

Until now, silicone-free primers have been hard to find, which is why, when I saw NYX’s silicone-free Honey Dew Me Up primer (£15, 22ml) during idle minutes between trains in Superdrug at Brighton station, I couldn’t get to the till fast enough.
Yeah, you saw it first on a Superdrug shelf. Being a beauty editor. And very likely to be notified of every possible release from every brand, cheap and expensive. I think it deserves a gif, don't you think?

I can't stand the way she takes her readers from granted. She really thinks people are stupid, doesn't she?

ETA: @Tesla's Ghost , your favourite!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Too many
Morning Scumsters!

OK, I went to read the column and I honestly couldn't get past the first paragraph.

Yeah, you saw it first on a Superdrug shelf. Being a beauty editor. And very likely to be notified of every possible release from every brand, cheap and expensive. I think it deserves a gif, don't you think?

I can't stand the way she takes her readers from granted. She really thinks people are stupid, doesn't she?
So many commas,,,,

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.