Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not that I have a clue about journalism but surely all publications should now be behind a paywall? The current model is not working. You can't rely on people to give donations out of the goodness of their heart

Reactions: 10
Looks like she has lost her column from her retweets. I’m sad to see Guardian Weekend going but Sali’s column has been utter dirge for a long time.

Reactions: 6
It's the best. Far from being a cabal of "broken, beefy faced, tin foil hat mentalists" or whatever Sali and her crew call us, I've found everyone to be so witty and intelligent and I've learned so much
The other thing I'd add is that we are simply nicer to each other than SH is to people she engages with on social media. She's fine if people are complimenting or asking for advice (although not always then) but not if they question or disagree or - it seems - just rub her up the wrong way. We don't always agree here but never disrespectful.

Reactions: 20
Yes I, like many others, found the fb group through the column and am very grateful overall. It’s in recent years things have changed.

I don’t want to see anyone lose their job (or even one of their 5 jobs or whatever) but I think the guardian gig is what gives Sali her reach and “gravitas”. Her own site and forum were a bust. I guess she’ll be in the world of “brand consulting” now. And influencing of course.
Yes, and I could see her getting a traditional product-pushing column in a women's magazine if her Guardian column has been cut. She still has an audience who will follow her to other publications, so any online publication that wants to make that sweet affiliate link cash will surely pay her a presumably high column fee in return.

If she has lost her column, I bet it kills her that her mate India is now the one with the beauty column in a weekend paper when she, the actual "ex-makeup artist" beauty "journalist" of x number of years, has sweet FA.

Yes, and I could see her getting a traditional product-pushing column in a women's magazine if her Guardian column has been cut. She still has an audience who will follow her to other publications, so any online publication that wants to make that sweet affiliate link cash will surely pay her a presumably high column fee in return.

If she has lost her column, I bet it kills her that her mate India is now the one with the beauty column in a weekend paper when she, the actual "ex-makeup artist" beauty "journalist" of x number of years, has sweet FA.
That’s true - she does have a loyal following and - from what I understand - based on what some people in the industry have told me - it is a following brands want to capture (women over 35 with disposable incomes) so she does still have some clout I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I've said it before here, but there *was* something good about her old Guardian columns - we all started reading and became hooked for a reason. She really did seem to be honest, before the weird inconsistencies (squalene, eye cream, etc) started creeping in more and more along with the obvious promotions of big brands. I think put simply she's been a victim of her own success - brands started wanting to 'work with' her because of her big reach, she followed the ££ and compromised her integrity, and got away with it for a while because of the trust she'd built up over years and years of being that 'big sister'. But I had a read of a couple of her old columns recently when I was searching for things, and they're just so different to the dross she tosses out now - the recommendations feel really genuine, I honestly don't believe New Look, NYX or any of those perfume brands would have been paying her, which is not something you can say for most of her columns now.
Also, she clearly put an effort into her early Guardian columns and videos - e.g. the one someone posted here the other day - getting her legs out to show how to apply wash-off tan.

And there was a time when she responded to btl comments and question. It seems to have been her apparent inability to deal with challenge or criticism that led her to withdraw to Instagram where she could control her engagement with readers/followers.

Reactions: 7
That’s true - she does have a loyal following and - from what I understand - based on what some people in the industry have told me - it is a following brands want to capture (women over 35 with disposable incomes) so she does still have some clout I guess.
The ‘Delia’ effect as she says

Reactions: 3
Good point - I'm sure she would get a column somewhere. Most of the other traditional newspapers already have respected Beauty Editors so interesting to see what would happen.

I loved the Mary Quant packaging! Matte black with a flower. As I said I had that glossy brown malteser lipstick and a foundation too. I used to get it from a little chemist, who also sold (if my awful memory serves right) a selection of little BIC perfumes, as in the lighters. They were about 99p and really not bad. Does anybody else remember these?

Oh another 90s staple: Body Shop Colourings by Barbara Daly. I also adored the Miss Selfridge Kiss and Makeup range but remember that as more 80s?

Reactions: 8
Oh another 90s staple: Body Shop Colourings by Barbara Daly. I also adored the Miss Selfridge Kiss and Makeup range but remember that as more 80s?
And Barbara Daly for Tesco! Not sure if that's still going

The other thing I'd add is that we are simply nicer to each other than SH is to people she engages with on social media. She's fine if people are complimenting or asking for advice (although not always then) but not if they question or disagree or - it seems - just rub her up the wrong way. We don't always agree here but never disrespectful.
So true. She probably likes to imagine that there's a lot of in fighting given that we're such a pack of skid mark people but that's not the case at all

Reactions: 5
Barbara Daly really was ahead of the game as a beauty expert and spotting the market in supermarkets. I had a few products from Tesco - a lovely golden highlighting cream one of them. I don't think it is still going.

Reactions: 9
Another 90s memory- on a trip to London as a teen I purchased a Boots 17 pinking sheer lipstick (RIP 17) and a blue cream eyeshadow in angel fish. I must have looked a right state

I found a picture of the offending lipstick on Google. That must have looked awful but I probably thought I was the shizz

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9

Any idea what the income from affiliate links might be? I assumed it was fairly minimal but maybe it adds up to something worthwhile.

I don't think I've ever bought anything via an affiliate link - not on principle, but I'd never click on a link and buy something immediately. At the very least I'd check that I couldn't get it cheaper elsewhere.

I also assumed that SH didn't get much of a fee for her weekly Guardian piece but that it was worth it for the prestige (and influencer £££s) of including broadsheet 'columnist' or 'Guardian Beauty Editor' in her cv.

Any idea what the income from affiliate links might be? I assumed it was fairly minimal but maybe it adds up to something worthwhile.

I don't think I've ever bought anything via an affiliate link - not on principle, but I'd never click on a link and buy something immediately. At the very least I'd check that I couldn't get it cheaper elsewhere.

I also assumed that SH didn't get much of a fee for her weekly Guardian piece but that it was worth it for the prestige (and influencer £££s) of including broadsheet 'columnist' or 'Guardian Beauty Editor' in her cv.
Someone said on one of the threads before that the column could be worth 1k a week. Sali if you're reading, it's just a speculation and not a tinfoil hat mentalist conspiracy theory.

In terms of affiliates, I thought that as long as you buy something online within 30 days it counts as your cookies remember it. Not sure though.

• Wow
Barbara Daly really was ahead of the game as a beauty expert and spotting the market in supermarkets. I had a few products from Tesco - a lovely golden highlighting cream one of them. I don't think it is still going.
A long time ago I went to an event with Barbara Daly. She gave a talk and then had a brief consultation with people individually. She looked at my - I now realise - lovely young skin, sort of rolled her eyes (but in a nice way) and told me that I really didn't need to bother with foundation. Can't imagine SH advising someone not to slap on more product.

Reactions: 10
I was just looking at The Guardian and read a piece by Jess Cartner Morley did yesterday all about going to the hair salon after lockdown (George Northwood - not Hersheson's btw). Also about beauty during/after lockdown.
Does she often write beauty pieces? I would've thought it would usually be exactly the sort of thing Sali would do? Not reading anything sinister into it - just curious.

Barbara Daly developed the eyelashes on one eye look for A Clockwork Orange, she worked on a few Stanley Kubrick films before going on to do Princess Diana's makeup. I read this quite recently in Lisa Eldridge interview with her and thought it such a cool fact - like Delia Smith making the cake on the cover of Let it Bleed. But also that is such a truly iconic look and immediately synonymous with A Clockwork Orange - brilliantly simple and efffective.

Here for anyone interested. Unfortunately, Lisa doesn't show us the inside of Daly's bathroom or ask about her must have products.

I was just looking at The Guardian and read a piece by Jess Cartner Morley did yesterday all about going to the hair salon after lockdown (George Northwood - not Hersheson's btw). Also about beauty during/after lockdown.
Does she often write beauty pieces? I would've thought it would usually be exactly the sort of thing Sali would do? Not reading anything sinister into it - just curious.
I've can't remember any at all.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Not sure to be honest - I only know columnists get paid a much higher fee than the equivalent staff writers would make per article, but that's just the name of the game. She's been there so long and commands her own audience so I imagine she's been able to renegotiate over the years, but all speculation.

Affiliate links don't make much individually but I'm sure they add up quickly with the size of the audience - personally I would also check prices across the board but I can imagine a lot of people pulling the trigger immediately if a link took you to, for example, Boots and you had an Advantage card so would be likely to buy there anyway, or any retailer that you trust - or if a product was on offer, or if you were worried about it selling out. Knowing what some of her followers were like from the forum and from anecdotes shared here, I bet there were a few who would buy everything/most things she recommended straight away each week.

Someone said on one of the threads before that the column could be worth 1k a week. Sali if you're reading, it's just a speculation and not a tinfoil hat mentalist conspiracy theory.

In terms of affiliates, I thought that as long as you buy something online within 30 days it counts as your cookies remember it. Not sure though.
Thanks - that interesting. The weekly Guardian article is 400 words - so (have I got this right?) that's £2.50 per word. That seems very high (even leaving aside the question of value for money). From a quick google of freelance rates, even half that would seem to be a very good rate.

On affiliates - presumably that only works if you click on the link and then buy from that same website (even if up to 30 days later).

Last edited:
I always thought that cookies followed you around, like if you check something on Google, you then get sponsored ads on Facebook for the same type of thing. But I could be talking rubbish

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.