Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
So many talented young musicians out there and these spoilt rich kids get it handed to them on a plate 😡 And then they pretend they made it on their own merit
I imagine they will say 'she isn't using her parent's name and did it all on her own'. But music journalist father, and family friend playing your record on a national station? As @melfish says it is nepotism no matter how they try to sugar coat it.

Reactions: 15

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
I think there were a few of us just waiting for the Missoma shill to drop. Right around the time when she started wearing a heap of jewellery that wasn’t her beloved handcuff necklace that she NEVER takes off........unless some influencer brand pays her of course. But hey, don’t question her integrity 🤑 😂 🤑

• Haha

crossword

Just had a flashback how Sali claimed more than once that Clinique Moisture Surge Spray from the fridge helped her through labour! I’d completely forgotten about that. It made a deep impression on me at the time I read about it because she went on about how relatively easy childbirth was at home with the help of a competent midwife and a cold facial Spritz while I was stuck at the hospital screaming my lungs out with my second. Only a good dose of heroin would have calmed me at that point! I remember feeling weak and inadequate in comparison to cool brave Sali. Now all I feel is really stupid about the whole thing. Obviously I was a grown woman at the time, not some insecure teenager.
Just goes to show how much influence someone like Sali can have, doesn’t it?

On a completely different note: can you recommend a matte or semi matte lipstick that isn’t drying @SqualorVictoria @NotDumbBlonde?

Sorry it’s @NotDumbNotBlonde of course

• Haha
  • Sad

Leosworld

Happened to catch her on a Nadine Baggott live. Were your beefy ears burning?

She won't say which greek island she is going to on holiday in case a bunch of 'internet weirdos' say it's gifted 😂 I don't see the correlation personally. Unless she is worried we might all go to measure her top to toe to put an end to the incessant and obsessive speculation about her height.

Yawn.

• Haha

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
I just did the makeup clear out I mentioned in the last thread. Kept some limited edition Nars lips sets and was ruthless with culling everything else. From now on, I will just replace things as I'm finished them. Feel liberated but also a tiny bit sick that excessive spending was so normalised. I also have enough back2mac for two lipsticks

Edit to add: any nude/ pinky beige went straight in the bin. Those colours always looked awful on me

Last edited:
Hope I haven't oversold it. I think the way you're approaching it sounds right - more likely to make a difference than a face cream that promises to 'lift' and without the considerable expense (and other concerns) of injectables.
Don't worry! I'm not expecting a game changing miracle! And there is a good market for secondhand ones on eBay, so I can make some money back if it's not for me. Unlike an expensive serum.

Yes!!! Let us be nu-bies together. I’ll get my coat 😂🙈
ETA I can’t bear the thought of injectables for some reason, fair play to those who have them, and I do debate them, but giving this a crack first
I can't justify the expense and up keep of injectables. And - each to their own, no judgement from me - but I haven't worked out the contradiction I have between wanting to age naturally versus finding certain signs of ageing upsettig. On one hand, my feminist belief that women shouldn't apolgise for ageing and my anger that women are made to feel an expensive cream is better self-care than an investment fund. On the other hand, I'm really self conscious of my jawline because I'm a product of a capitalist patriarchy.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Mazerati

Chatty Member
The best beauty sales experience I had was when I went into the new boots in Covent garden and asked one of the make up girls about under eye concealer and she talked me out of buying anything, telling me she couldn't see dark circles under my eyes. Love that sweet baby angel.

• Heart

Too Much

VIP Member
It is interesting, and no doubt Sali would class it as one of those petty things that happens here, raking over every thing she says looking for discrepancies, but the Clarisonic thing - without @Mselvista remembering that no doubt some of us would be scratching our heads going 'but I'm sure she recommended them on a few occasions? And thought they were wonderful?' - and on the strength of that purchased one for themselves or as a gift.
No doubt the Sali Hughes Beauty agony aunt would find this hilarious - buy something Sali said is good? Because you trusted her? Only to find out she never liked it? Fools.
What next - she never rated Whistles?
It reminds me of high school behaviour, when a certain product/brand is all the rage and your social standing is influenced by whether you have one. Then, at a potentially arbitrary point in the future, someone decides that that thing is no longer desirable, the rug is pulled out and you are sneered at for still having/liking it.

Reactions: 14

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
Yeah the "wonky" top lip got me too- who has ever looked at someone's top lip and thought it was "wonky", much less noticed it? It's also a bit disingenuous. Anyone has the right to get fillers as a personal choice but why not just say it's to make your lips bigger. Why pretend it's for correction purposes. Again, it comes back to Sali trying to appear effortless and cool.
is the wonky top lip the 'deviated septum' excuse for the lip filler?

• Haha
  • Heart

sineadf

There has *got* to be a backlash coming soon against excessive drag queen makeup. The minimalist aesthetic of the 90s was a reaction to the OTT 80s, so surely we must be due a swing in this direction. Although with Insta culture I'm not sure, everyone seems to be doing hair and makeup as though they're about to be photographed under harsh studio lights. Is it here to stay? 🤡 #clownface

• Sad

Warrend

I love it when influencers slag off products they've previously pushed hard, Caroline Hirons has done it several times. Stick around long enough and you'll notice they all slip up and do it.

Carefully chosen collaborations, my ass!

• Haha

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
I was actually being facetious about Missoma there, but out of curiosity checked...they do. Ugg, Fitflop (🌊), Missoma, BINGO!

Ok, it's a hypothetical campaign but even so. The idea that SH is critical.of the beauty industry is hysterical. She now often speaks of herself as *part* of the industry.View attachment 189770
just looking at it properly, best disclaimer ever has to be:

PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 26, 2014
This article was published more than 5 years ago. Some information in it may no longer be current.

• Haha
  • Wow

RayRayJay

This thread has me in a daily battle of just complete acceptance of my face versus OMG I WANT A NUFACE!

I wonder if they have a therapeutic effect on migraines? I wonder if I could pretend they do.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart

Spanner

Chatty Member
Sali can always get a new column, it’s easy isn’t it? Just bad mouth the present incumbent and their output enough publicly, bully them online, tell their editor you could do a better job, then Bob’s your uncle!
Haha, yeah! Watch out India! 🔪

• Haha
  • Heart