Running #2 PF is a pain in the calf

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cadence is how many steps you take in a certain time frame. @laughing if you’re asking about technique just don’t land on your heel 😀

Otherwise don’t think too much about it

Sometimes companies like to change something about the shoes between each version. Sometimes even a fabric change can cause big issues.
I’ve got hoka arahi at the moment and the 6 is coming up wider than the 5, have to pull them tight. It’s annoying because I find them super comfortable, even with this change. But if the laces loosen off I get a blister :rolleyes: my 5s still have some life in them so I’ve kept them for longer runs and the 6s for my shorter ones for now. It’s a pain!
View attachment 1195447
It’s just the one shoe though 😂

Anyone ever had a pair of running shoes where one seemed to have a smaller toe box than the other? I've gone back to Brookes Adrenalines for my marathon at the end of May and whilst they are really lovely to run in, like they normally are, I am getting about 5 or 6 blisters after every run on my left toes. Sometimes during a run I get a stabbing pain in my left middle toe for a few strides. I've taken these shoes up to 16 miles and generally they're pain free 95% of the run so I'm not planning to change them but was just wondering if I'm being silly or it's something actually real lol. I've never had this problem with Brooks before and have run many miles in my last two pairs without a single blister.

I actually have a second brand new pair of the same model (had to return my Sauconys as they were too small and could only do an exchange, by which point I'd already ordered a pair online) so I suppose I could try those once or twice and see if it helps but it's just a bit odd.
Brooks 21 seem to be odd. I've had problems with my heel in them, nothing major but I probably won't buy another pair unless they return to the 20's in which case I'll buy a few pairs. I don't get on with ONs sadly, they are too high around my ankle area. Not sure what i'll get next.

Brooks 21 seem to be odd. I've had problems with my heel in them, nothing major but I probably won't buy another pair unless they return to the 20's in which case I'll buy a few pairs. I don't get on with ONs sadly, they are too high around my ankle area. Not sure what i'll get next.
I had a pair of Ons a while ago, the sole design is the most irritating thing in the world - so much crap gets stuck in them from! Last pair pre-Sauconys (which I returned as they made my feet go numb) were Mizunos which were ok but a bit bland and had a really high instep that wasn’t very comfy. Other than that I’ve always had Brooks as I have oddly wide feet so can’t fit in Hokan, Nikes or ASICS.

I had a pair of Ons a while ago, the sole design is the most irritating thing in the world - so much crap gets stuck in them from! Last pair pre-Sauconys (which I returned as they made my feet go numb) were Mizunos which were ok but a bit bland and had a really high instep that wasn’t very comfy. Other than that I’ve always had Brooks as I have oddly wide feet so can’t fit in Hokan, Nikes or ASICS.
I thought the 21s were slightly narrower than the 20's. apparently they have put more cushioning now so that might be the problem and yourleft foot is slightly bigger

I’m the same with wide feet and have only been in brooks for years. But got some new balance recently. Wide fit fresh foam and I’m loving them. Not a high at the back of the heel
Which is great because I have no ankles and just bend in a right angle

Cadence - keeping your feet as near as possible to the ground when you run? Smaller strides? The more steps the better? Therefore hitting the ground with less power?
Is that correct?
Pretty much. Cadence is the number of steps per minute. If you're overstriding and putting strain on your ankle/heel/knee/hip/back/neck/everywhere, increasing your cadence reduces the opportunity to overstride as you're falling onto your mid-upper foot and allowing the PF to do its job safely, rather than pounding down on your heels and transmitting somewhere around the mass of a family car onto a very small area and distributing that greater shock upwards to a knee that isn't straight down but is being pushed to fold in the wrong direction, for example.

Reactions: 1
Today's 10k race would have been better if I hadn't fallen half a mile in.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
So it looks like my last option to cure PF is steroid injection, nothing else has worked :(

• Sad
Have decided overnight to go to a biomechanical podiatrist first, see what they say/recommend.

Hopefully shockwaves will be an option.

Will then book for the orthopaedic surgeon, explore the options, steroid injection is the final route for me, really don't want it.

Reactions: 2
Have decided overnight to go to a biomechanical podiatrist first, see what they say/recommend.

Will then book for the orthopaedic surgeon, explore the options, steroid injection is the final route for me, really don't want it.
Good luck. Sending get well thoughts. ❤

Keeping my fingers crossed you get relief asap! 🤞

I know we’ve got some really great experienced full marathon and ultra runners here so I wondered if I could pick your brains a little.

Did my last long run today before I start tapering (20 miles, marathon is Edinburgh 29th May). I am decidedly slow - aiming for a sub 5 hour finish but based on all my runs over 15 miles I’ll be lucky to go sub 5:10. Does race day really give you much “speed boost” or should I adjust my expectations to sub 5:15 which is very achievable based on how things have gone so far?

Last weeks long run was a bit of a disaster - sat on a bench and cried for 15 minutes at mile 13 😐 - but todays was much better with no tears and no stopping except a quick loo stop because my brain was being dumb and convinced me I needed a wee even though I really didn’t. I tried a bit more of a structured approach today of 3 miles easy running, have a gel (every 3 miles roughly) and some water, a mile or two at marathon goal pace (10:45 but may be adjusted) and then a half a mile walk before I repeated that cycle. Worked well up until about mile 14 where I wanted to cut the marathon goal pace efforts and just drudge along but was quite aware that this massively dropped my pace. Found this quite hard mentally.

Finally, I am struggling to actually run the first 15 miles now - I’ve done several half marathons and only ever walked the water stops, or not at all if it wasn’t a race, the 15 miles I did at goal pace went really well and I was bang on pace all the way around but in the last three or four weeks when training has ramped up I’ve felt pretty dead quite early on. Is this normal?

Also a random period question - I am not underweight and refuel appropriately. I’ve had some issues with spotting in between my periods (I’m on the 3 week pill pack) and my Dr has basically said it’s just because I’m marathon training. I kinda thought that was just a low weight thing 😳 is that normal?!

Also a random period question - I am not underweight and refuel appropriately. I’ve had some issues with spotting in between my periods (I’m on the 3 week pill pack) and my Dr has basically said it’s just because I’m marathon training. I kinda thought that was just a low weight thing 😳 is that normal?!
Have you been keeping an eye on BMs? Running causing looser or issues with that? Coz that can affect absorption. This was an issue for me previously. I now take my pill in the evening instead before bed rather than before a run/early am. But evidence is very anecdotal about how running affects the pill, but my GP thought it was because I kept getting “runners tummy” after long runs, which I’ve worked on a lot. But even though I don’t suffer too much I take things in the evening now.

Not done a marathon and to be honest I've no intention of doing so however last week I did the vitality 10k. I've not been able to complete parkrun without atleast a 30 second walk around km4 however I managed to run the entire 10k at about the pace your doing now with absolutely no prep so I think you'll surprise yourself. It's far nicer being surrounded by loads of other people and people cheering you. I made sure I loaded up with water the night before as I have issues with cooling, no coffee for atleast the 3 days prior, take bog roll with you and pace yourself, my 2nd 5k was quite a lot quicker than the 1st as I really did just plod. I actually could've carried on.

Just to add I really have not enjoyed running the last few months but I quite enjoyed the 10k and I think it was because my main goal was to run the whole thing and to do that I had to not worry about time and just plod round. It's made me stop thinking about going faster so maybe don't think about the time just the achievement of completing a marathon.

Reactions: 2