Running #2 PF is a pain in the calf

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not walking but I really get on well with my Nike Pegasus. Am male but fairly sure they’re as good cross gender. Use them for running until they die and then (depending on their state) retire them to lazy trainer wear.

Probably get a good 5-700miles out of them before they start to cause me to suffer any feeling of wear. And I’m not a lightly-set runner either so I put some wear and tear in them.

My On Cloudflyers didn't start feeling a bit dull until I'd covered about 650 miles. Now done about 850 and they're going down to big shopping. I reckon another hundred and they're to Friday morning housework.

I'll be switching to neutrals for my new pair, though, as the 35kg weightloss in the time means that I don't need stability shoes anymore, I can have something more flexible/cushioned and put custom orthotics in them to deal with overpronation.

Reactions: 2
I would say be careful about saying that heavier runners need support and lighter can get away without. At my lightest (running 80 miles a week), I was needing the most support and only Brooks adrenaline fitted the bill.

Now, being a much healthier weight, and running a much more sensible 30/35 miles a week, post Achilles injury from hell, my gait has changed and ghosts are fine.

It is always best to seek advice from a small, independent running shop who do gait analysis and aren’t in the pockets of a big brand. Trail running shops are often the best.

(Don’t run 80 miles a week- the cost of replacing trainers and the resulting cost in shockwave therapy when everything goes wrong is not fun 🥺)

I would say be careful about saying that heavier runners need support and lighter can get away without. At my lightest (running 80 miles a week), I was needing the most support and only Brooks adrenaline fitted the bill.

Now, being a much healthier weight, and running a much more sensible 30/35 miles a week, post Achilles injury from hell, my gait has changed and ghosts are fine.

It is always best to seek advice from a small, independent running shop who do gait analysis and aren’t in the pockets of a big brand. Trail running shops are often the best.

(Don’t run 80 miles a week- the cost of replacing trainers and the resulting cost in shockwave therapy when everything goes wrong is not fun 🥺)

It's an easy answer in shops - some see a fat bird with overpronation/tendinosis/itis, the instant response is 'you need stability shoes'. But when you've already got custom orthotics, it can feel rather like you're trying to move in breezeblocks with your foot never working as it should. The loss of proprioception was considerable, too - I had very little feedback either through my soles or through the sides which, as I'm not a fan of the road, meant even a cinder path felt dodgy. They did improve my cadence, as I had no choice but to trot on my toes as that was the only place that had any flex, but running smoothly wasn't possible.

What SSs (especially my other pair, Asics - I also hated the Brooks, as they felt a bit nicer but self destructed within what felt like seconds/all the pressure of movement was put onto the fabric because the sole wouldn't bend) remind me of most are my steel toecap work boots;

- very comfortable for standing up in for hours without moving, protective if you stand on a two inch lump of jagged rock (you won't feel a thing) - but after the initial healing period, you want your foot to flex rather than feel like you're dragging said breezeblocks a couple of millimeters above the ground.

Reactions: 1

Bastards ruined the Adrenalines, 20s were great, 21s not great

• Heart
I have had PF since last June, switched back to Asics about a month ago and can already feel that they are better

I want something with a a reasonable amount of forefoot cushioning - and with a wide toebox. But I haven't found that yet. If I do, I'll probably buy three pairs so I'm not bolloxed when they inevitably improve screw up the next year's version. But the best shop within miles, whilst independent, seems to only have Brooks, Asics and On. There aren't any Innov-8 shops/sellers anywhere feasible to travel to according to their website (the width fittings sound like they might be ideal) and the nearest place that appears to do a lot of trade in wide fittings doesn't seem to be interested in performance, just width - maybe their main clientele are big, tall people who want Dad trainers, not actual shoes for sports?

I want something with a a reasonable amount of forefoot cushioning - and with a wide toebox. But I haven't found that yet. If I do, I'll probably buy three pairs so I'm not bolloxed when they inevitably improve screw up the next year's version. But the best shop within miles, whilst independent, seems to only have Brooks, Asics and On. There aren't any Innov-8 shops/sellers anywhere feasible to travel to according to their website (the width fittings sound like they might be ideal) and the nearest place that appears to do a lot of trade in wide fittings doesn't seem to be interested in performance, just width - maybe their main clientele are big, tall people who want Dad trainers, not actual shoes for sports?
Obviously I don’t know where you are (🔺) but start fitness in Newcastle do a lot of Inov8 shoes (they do online too) and Let’s Run in N. Yorkshire do different styles (Altra have a wide toe box, but a v. low drop so beware!).

I hate the iteration changes. I had about 3/4 pairs of the adrenaline 11s. They were my pride and joy.

• Heart
Yes! I hated the 21s. Loved the 20s.

I’ve just got a new pair of Sauconys.
I keep being told about them. Haven’t had the guts to try. I think I might when my current ghosts bite the dust. Secretly the glycerins feel amazing but they are so expensive

What style do you get? How do you find them compared to other shoes? The ghosts do have support in, but my main issue is the drop, anything below 9/10 sets my Achilles off.

In other news, I seem to have aggravated my piriformis running too fast after a long run day (par for the course really - I never learn) and lifting too many bags at work. Pigeon stretches are 1/2 working. Any ideas for not worsening/improving/helping the issue? Is it weak glutes? I am an Achilles/calf/shin expert but anything else flummoxes me.

Last edited:
I keep being told about them. Haven’t had the guts to try. I think I might when my current ghosts bite the dust. Secretly the glycerins feel amazing but they are so expensive

What style do you get? How do you find them compared to other shoes? The ghosts do have support in, but my main issue is the drop, anything below 9/10 sets my Achilles off.

In other news, I seem to have aggravated my piriformis running too fast after a long run day (par for the course really - I never learn) and lifting too many bags at work. Pigeon stretches are 1/2 working. Any ideas for not worsening/improving/helping the issue? Is it weak glutes? I am an Achilles/calf/shin expert but anything else flummoxes me.
I got the Omnis!

tbh in my experience everything is because of weak flutes 😂

• Haha
I got the Omnis!

tbh in my experience everything is because of weak flutes 😂
I even tried doing a glute bridge but my stomach hurt so I know I am doing that incorrectly. Stupid big “muscle” (mine couldn’t be further from a muscle if it tried) that is really hard to turn on.

Ah, the joys running with a guide - I've constantly got bruised elbows! I've got tunnel vision so I can't see if you're stood next to me.

Does anyone have recommendations for a watch that isn't Garmin? The last 2 I've had have been rubbish after the initial "wow", so time for something else I think!

I've heard good things about Coros
I have a coros and I love it. It is cheaper than the garmin, the battery lasts longer and it syncs well with my phone.

I don’t have the Uber posh one though for really long ultras.

I have never had the upper range garmins either though so…

Does anyone have recommendations for a watch that isn't Garmin? The last 2 I've had have been rubbish after the initial "wow", so time for something else I think!
I think a friend of mine has a Suunto and seems to like it? Know lots of people who just use apple or Samsung watches for tracking sports.

We are a Garmin household though so don’t have any direct experience with anything else.

Running before the second dose of Covid = this is great, I feel good, 20 minutes is fine, 125 bpm and feels like a stroll.

Running two weeks after the second dose of Covid = Uuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm gonna die, each leg weighs about five ton, 2 minutes is a lifetime, 160 bpm and I'm going to fall over if I don't duck it off and limp home.

I utterly bonked out by the time I got in. Mr D was being all helpful and authoritative and I had a pathetic little wispy voice saying 'I don't feel so good' before I'd chugged back a glass of juice and sat down for an hour.

• Heart
Running before the second dose of Covid = this is great, I feel good, 20 minutes is fine, 125 bpm and feels like a stroll.

Running two weeks after the second dose of Covid = Uuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm gonna die, each leg weighs about five ton, 2 minutes is a lifetime, 160 bpm and I'm going to fall over if I don't duck it off and limp home.

I utterly bonked out by the time I got in. Mr D was being all helpful and authoritative and I had a pathetic little wispy voice saying 'I don't feel so good' before I'd chugged back a glass of juice and sat down for an hour.
2 years later and I am still in waves of rubbishness with running. A month goes by and 10 miles feels easy *plans another marathon. Then boom, I can hardly run 3. Starting to think it will never get back to how it was. Saying that, I don’t ever want to do the stupid 80mile/wk but just run without feeling like I was dragging a hippo.

Sending thoughts to those who are on the struggle bus. Chug chug.

• Heart
Did my first post-covid run yesterday on a treadmill. Took it easy and just did a gentle jog for 15 mins. It was fine but I was really taking it easy and my heartrate was around 140bpm which felt high for what it was. Really worried about pushing too hard but also don't want to let my fitness completely go.

I'm just the other side of Covid too. All my stamina has gone, I'm gutted! I don't race, just run for me, but I like the achievement of running a bit further and now I can barely manage 3 miles. Was up to half distance in January :(