Running #2 PF is a pain in the calf

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Happy weekend, everybody!

I had a surprisingly productive day today - ended up working on my day off again (but only for half a day and because it's extra, I had the freedom to refuse to do anything I didn't want to on the grounds that 'I'm not here'). Finished at lunchtime and then stopped off at the running shop.

The owner took one look at my Cloudflyers, laughed and said 'Looks like you've been to the moon and back in those' and then sorted out a pair of Cloudmonsters, as he agreed I didn't need stability shoes anymore.

They feel really nice, but I haven't tried them out properly yet - probably do that in the morning.

I might have also rinsed Amazon's cheap as hell sports bras because I've lost so much volume there as well. Hopefully Mr D won't be too shocked when I turn up to the gym wearing a whole new load of gear, especially as he's still in the trackies and top I bought when I first dragged him out of the house over a year ago.

Reactions: 1
First PF back and now covid. The universe is conspiring against me working out (even on the bike) ever again.
Covid recovery tips from fellow runners?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
First PF back and now covid. The universe is conspiring against me working out (even on the bike) ever again.
Hugs. It’s crap.

First time (March 2020) I was an idiot, went back too soon on bike and runs and suffered (LC).

This time, April this year, swallowed the ego (not much left of it to be honest 😂😂). V slow couch to 5k. Repeated runs if I felt rubbish. Stopped halfway through etc. Not spun as much as I find I go hell for leather and it is easier to slow down/walk on runs than do the equivalent whilst being shouted at by Les Mills instructors.

I think if you listen to your body, rest when you need to, stop exercising when it feels bad then that’s the best way. The normal “push through the pain” probably doesn’t apply for a good few weeks/months after you have had it.

❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Take it slow is my best advice. I didn't do any running until around a month after having it and was doing no more than 15/20 mins at a really easy pace, mainly on treadmill. If I ran outside I would use a run, walk, run method and found this really good because I was less likely to go faster than I was capable of and let my heart rate come down a bit between intervals. The main thing I noticed after having Covid was how high my heart rate was at the slightest bit of exercise. Absolutely agree that you need to listen to your body and stop/slow down if you are struggling.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Speaking of recovery, anyone had abdominal laproscopic surgery before and tried to get back to running? I had my bust appendix out on the 10th and I'm wondering how long it typically takes people. I'm not running before the 3 week post op mark and even then I'll only try it if I can properly brace my core muscles. I was planning on doing my first marathon in September.

All the rest occurring for sure. Was more just the return to any form of exercise after resting that I was interested in. Seems the slowly slowly approach is best, will probably have to be C25k as the PF has had me off running for a while. At least I can start it gently on our treadmill.

• Heart
Fingers crossed my PF issues seem to be resolving, haven’t run since mid June (and that was only 3 miles) but have been going to the gym and using the spin bikes for cardio before doing weights. Noticed the most amount of difference after doing my first leg day which makes me wonder if it was complaining because it needed a really good stretch if that makes sense? I’ve stopped using the ball to roll it as well as that seemed to make it a bit more tender. Unfortunately I’m not feeling too great with a cold atm but hoping to try a run again in a couple of weeks IF it continues to be pain free. We’ll see how that goes!

I’ve got two 10ks in mid August that I’m hoping it’ll hold up for, not necessarily going for time any more but just want to finish!

• Heart
Fingers crossed my PF issues seem to be resolving, haven’t run since mid June (and that was only 3 miles) but have been going to the gym and using the spin bikes for cardio before doing weights. Noticed the most amount of difference after doing my first leg day which makes me wonder if it was complaining because it needed a really good stretch if that makes sense? I’ve stopped using the ball to roll it as well as that seemed to make it a bit more tender. Unfortunately I’m not feeling too great with a cold atm but hoping to try a run again in a couple of weeks IF it continues to be pain free. We’ll see how that goes!

I’ve got two 10ks in mid August that I’m hoping it’ll hold up for, not necessarily going for time any more but just want to finish!
My PF is totally linked to my dodgy achilles on the same side!

My PF is totally linked to my dodgy achilles on the same side!
Could be something in that. I’ve got a severe pelvic tilt, dodgy hips on both sides, a dodgy knee and ankle on the right, dodgy calf on the left… and for three days after the marathon had terrible achilles pain in the left (PF side). Getting a little fed up with being injured all the time but it’s my own fault for never doing strength training :eek:

• Sad
Managed to get a second round of shockwave therapy. PF already easing. Will be allowed to run soon 🤞 Hopefully everyone else is ok? @Into_the_tunnel especially 💛
So glad it is working. I honestly think it is the miracle cure. Main thread person was being horrific so I needed time away-these runners though, missed all your craic too much ❤❤.

• Heart
Nearly two months post marathon and I'm still off running with PF. Fed up now. I've been doing a lot of spinning and strength work at the gym but it's just not the same.

Did a self-referral to physio and haven't heard anything... checked in with one of the physios at work and the wait list is 20 weeks :eek: so I'll be calling the private one today and spending the last of my pay there I guess. I've got a 10k in two weeks that I'll have to pull out of, and one at the end of August that I really want to do (it's in our club trail series and I'm currently in my age group top 3 so I need to do two more and hope no-one else does them!). I've also got a half in October with my OH and his sister that I really want to do... especially as...

We found out I was pregnant at the weekend and now I'm panicking that I'll never run again (or at least won't be able to run for about a year) if I don't start soon 😬 Plus if my dates are correct it also means that my OH probably won't be able to do Brighton as baby would be due at the end of March next year (Brighton's the first weekend of April). 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Nearly two months post marathon and I'm still off running with PF. Fed up now. I've been doing a lot of spinning and strength work at the gym but it's just not the same.

Did a self-referral to physio and haven't heard anything... checked in with one of the physios at work and the wait list is 20 weeks :eek: so I'll be calling the private one today and spending the last of my pay there I guess. I've got a 10k in two weeks that I'll have to pull out of, and one at the end of August that I really want to do (it's in our club trail series and I'm currently in my age group top 3 so I need to do two more and hope no-one else does them!). I've also got a half in October with my OH and his sister that I really want to do... especially as...

We found out I was pregnant at the weekend and now I'm panicking that I'll never run again (or at least won't be able to run for about a year) if I don't start soon 😬 Plus if my dates are correct it also means that my OH probably won't be able to do Brighton as baby would be due at the end of March next year (Brighton's the first weekend of April). 🤷‍♀️
Oh @WeepingCassandra what great news.

I really hope the physio helps. I’m not back running yet because I’ve got one more shockwave left.

Oh @WeepingCassandra what great news.

I really hope the physio helps. I’m not back running yet because I’ve got one more shockwave left.
Did you find resting helped much? I'm wondering if my job is aggravating the situation as well - I'm on my feet 90% of the work day, walking around a hospital. I do wonder sometimes if just a couple of weeks of proper rest or getting a pair of crutches to rest it at work would help. Or is it just the shockwave that's helped?

Did you find resting helped much? I'm wondering if my job is aggravating the situation as well - I'm on my feet 90% of the work day, walking around a hospital. I do wonder sometimes if just a couple of weeks of proper rest or getting a pair of crutches to rest it at work would help. Or is it just the shockwave that's helped?
Really happy for you re your news❤.

Just a couple of things- maybe off the mark… when I did my Achilles in, I was walking all the time around a school and I had to have my duties regarding that stopped. Physio basically said walking exacerbated it. Also spinning (when I was at my absolute worst) also made the pain worse and I had to stop that too. The constant pressure on calves and dipping toes up and down with the different tracks wasn’t helping. The only thing I was allowed to do was cross train (no lifting foot off the paddle thing- I wasn’t allowed on my toes ) and swim. As soon as the shockwave kicked in spinning was ok again.

I know PF isn’t the same as AT but sometimes weak calves can be the underlying cause of both.

So sorry you are in such a bind. It feels so desperate doesn’t it? Have you got one of those night splints? My friend has those.

Really happy for you re your news❤.

Just a couple of things- maybe off the mark… when I did my Achilles in, I was walking all the time around a school and I had to have my duties regarding that stopped. Physio basically said walking exacerbated it. Also spinning (when I was at my absolute worst) also made the pain worse and I had to stop that too. The constant pressure on calves and dipping toes up and down with the different tracks wasn’t helping. The only thing I was allowed to do was cross train (no lifting foot off the paddle thing- I wasn’t allowed on my toes ) and swim. As soon as the shockwave kicked in spinning was ok again.

I know PF isn’t the same as AT but sometimes weak calves can be the underlying cause of both.

So sorry you are in such a bind. It feels so desperate doesn’t it? Have you got one of those night splints? My friend has those.
Thank you :)

I've actually found that the cross trainer aggravates it immediately whereas the spin bikes don't make it hurt at all. Possibly because I'm terrible at not lifting my foot off the paddle! Swimming round here is so expensive but I hadn't really considered it as an option if I'm honest - might go today!

TBH my calves are the only part of me with any muscle XD

• Heart
@WeepingCassandra congrats on your news. I really wish I'd had running when my kids were younger, I'd have loved to be a buggy runner!

For the PF - have you tried Oofos or similar "recovery" footwear? I've found that mine really keep my PF at bay - I wear them year round as slippers. I have the sliders, so it's proper sexy with socks in the winter! All the usual stuff like, not walking barefoot, no flip flops etc too. If I start being lazy with that, I really notice it creeping back. Can't wear any sort of flat shoe like Converse now either - have you got decent footwear for work?

My knee troubles ended up being patella tendonitus. Fun.

Really not enjoying running at the moment. So bored. And I have New Forest 10k in 5 weeks.

• Heart
Has anyone got any recommendations for insoles for PF? I've figured out my work shoes are definitely a big part of the problem as is running on a treadmill. Today's been really good pain wise so I'm hopeful if I can get some good insoles for my work shoes and my running shoes (as well as a new pair of work shoes!) that perhaps in a week or so when the heats died down I can start Couch to 5k gently

@WeepingCassandra congrats on your news. I really wish I'd had running when my kids were younger, I'd have loved to be a buggy runner!

For the PF - have you tried Oofos or similar "recovery" footwear? I've found that mine really keep my PF at bay - I wear them year round as slippers. I have the sliders, so it's proper sexy with socks in the winter! All the usual stuff like, not walking barefoot, no flip flops etc too. If I start being lazy with that, I really notice it creeping back. Can't wear any sort of flat shoe like Converse now either - have you got decent footwear for work?
Thank you :) Yes, I've got a pair of Adidas knock off recovery slides, so comfy and the only shoes I found for weeks that didn't aggravate it! I wear them around the house a lot now.