Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Poppetta83

VIP Member
Can I join in please? I’m running a 10K on 11th June in memory of my sister who passed away in 2019. I’m doing a couch to 10k app and on week 2 day 1 tomorrow.

I actually used to run regularly years ago and 10k would have been a breeze. But depression took over and although I’ve dabbled in running on and off since, I’ve never had anything to focus on.

So here I am 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Melian

VIP Member
Been injured since May. Got discharged from physio on Tuesday. I ran the whole of my parkrun yesterday

• Heart
Reactions: 9

ChrisMay

Morning! So I decided to sign up to Reading half marathon this morning - its not until April but I a about 6 stone over weight and cannot even run for a bus! Off on my holibobs in two weeks so plan to start training/ cross training / losing weight when im back! Lets see if I make it to the start line!

Reactions: 8

zetta buttons

VIP Member
Just coming on here for a bit of a moan. I properly injured myself last year (hamstring and MCL) and have only just got back into it. Yesterday, it was so lovely I wasn’t concentrating and going too fast and went really flying. I broke (needing surgery) my finger a few years ago running so I think I subconsciously fell oddly and on my side.

Everything is so sore. My ribs hurt when I breathe, one side is swollen. I can barely walk up my stairs and my hand is so grazed and bloody. Nothing’s broken but I’m so cross.

Moan over.!

• Sad
  • Heart

yankydoo

Chatty Member
Thanks for the tips everyone. I ran with a drink and felt good. It was my second half marathon and I beat my previous time 😁

• Heart

bourb0nbiscuits

Chatty Member
Just wondering has anyone any advice about trainers? I’m not sure what I need, I only run on the treadmill - not brave enough for outside yet. I run 4/5 times a week. Recently I have had problems with ankle pain in my left foot - self diagnosed tendonitis. Have a support but mainly running through it. A few weeks later developed a sore knee in the other leg which caused swelling. Found the stairs very difficult etc. Bought a knee support. I think I land harder on my right leg - the one with the knee issue. Ultimately I think it’s a footwear problem. Can anyone recommend a trainer?!
Get your injury checked out first and when that’s sorted out, go to a running shop and ask them about gait analysis. It’s usually free if you buy a pair of trainers from them.

Reactions: 7

FreeSquirrels

I got a 5k PB just before Christmas despite being in my 50s. I’ve got faster with menopause! I had really heavy periods throughout my younger life.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
Nearly two months post marathon and I'm still off running with PF. Fed up now. I've been doing a lot of spinning and strength work at the gym but it's just not the same.

Did a self-referral to physio and haven't heard anything... checked in with one of the physios at work and the wait list is 20 weeks :eek: so I'll be calling the private one today and spending the last of my pay there I guess. I've got a 10k in two weeks that I'll have to pull out of, and one at the end of August that I really want to do (it's in our club trail series and I'm currently in my age group top 3 so I need to do two more and hope no-one else does them!). I've also got a half in October with my OH and his sister that I really want to do... especially as...

We found out I was pregnant at the weekend and now I'm panicking that I'll never run again (or at least won't be able to run for about a year) if I don't start soon 😬 Plus if my dates are correct it also means that my OH probably won't be able to do Brighton as baby would be due at the end of March next year (Brighton's the first weekend of April). 🤷‍♀️

• Heart

Melian

VIP Member
When you've been looking forward to a race for the last 2 years (Covid) and now you're going to have to pull out because you're injured. Flights have been booked so I'm going to have to go over anyway.

• Sad

yankydoo

Chatty Member
I had a busy end of July with work and then switched jobs in August so have a long commute. I haven't run in 2 months. And I just can't even find any motivation to start again. I think working too much meant I could never be consistent (and ADHD means I really struggle with habit formation) so I got really disheartened by lack of progress.
I have a london landmarks half place next year and I don't think I will be in any shape to do it. Also hotel prices have put me off, don't really want to spend lots of money for a race that I won't do well in/enjoy. I think I got carried away with the idea of being able to do a big marathon or half but in reality I hate the thought of being watched, especially when I feel like a crap runner.

Sorry for the rant, not sure the point of it except to just get it out.
There’s still a lot of time until the race next year. Why don’t you give it more time and see how you get on?

It’s such a busy race that you will be part of the crowd and I really don’t think anyone will be watching you individually. There will be runners of all skills too.

Reactions: 5

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
First PF back and now covid. The universe is conspiring against me working out (even on the bike) ever again.
Covid recovery tips from fellow runners?
Hugs. It’s crap.

First time (March 2020) I was an idiot, went back too soon on bike and runs and suffered (LC).

This time, April this year, swallowed the ego (not much left of it to be honest 😂😂). V slow couch to 5k. Repeated runs if I felt rubbish. Stopped halfway through etc. Not spun as much as I find I go hell for leather and it is easier to slow down/walk on runs than do the equivalent whilst being shouted at by Les Mills instructors.

I think if you listen to your body, rest when you need to, stop exercising when it feels bad then that’s the best way. The normal “push through the pain” probably doesn’t apply for a good few weeks/months after you have had it.

❤

• Heart
Trainers are all ok (y)

But are your feet OK for the trainers?

(one of my pet subjects)

They might not be worn out, but could be inappropriate for your posture and running gait. I've regretted a purchase of Asics that on paper, should have been perfect, but there's a slight difference that, even when wearing my custom orthotics, means my right hip and tendinitis have flared up after less than a week. But the decidedly knackered (as in done over a million steps in them according to my Fitbit) Ons still have the ability to make that pain/potential repeated injury go away again.

Did two microgym sessions this weekend with Mr D (as in, he can't do as long a session as I can, so it's split over two visits rather than one).

I didn't realise that he was completely unaware of what the core muscles are and how they work - or even feel when activated. Had to put his hand on different parts (WASH YOUR FILTHY MINDS OUT!) whilst I moved to show him on me and then on himself.

No wonder he complains of back pain, pokes his head forwards and pronates on one foot enough to give himself a bunion whilst landing like an obese duck on the other foot; he's never known what it feels like for the entire anterior and posterior chain to be functioning smoothly.

Going to have to get working on those before we do any more running, I think.

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
I've tweaked my bloody ITB again. A few years (4 or 5) ago I had a recurring ITB problem, which was eventually solved with a lot of rest and acupuncture. It was fine for a long time - I ran several halfs and a full marathon with no issues. It's been groaning recently but I put it down to doing too much at the gym and thought it was easing off... until I did some sprints last night and it's started pulling really badly again. With some rest it feels a bit better but I'm worried this will be the start of yet another long time off with an injury.

I don't know what else I can do about this - I've been strength training more than I've been running, I don't run more than two days in a row any more, been slowly increasing my mileage and I only run one 10k since May 2021, which I've built up to slowly over the last 7 months of returning to running post baby. Feels like every time I get on a good streak with fitness I end up injured somewhere. First it was the ITB, then it was my (opposite side) ankle tendonitis, then knee pain, then plantar fasciitis. Fed up!

• Sad
  • Heart

Notworthy

VIP Member
Get your injury checked out first and when that’s sorted out, go to a running shop and ask them about gait analysis. It’s usually free if you buy a pair of trainers from them.
second this, and stop running immediately. You're compensating for the pain and causing other issues. Eventually you'll have hip problems to add to the other ailments.

Melian

VIP Member
I'm just the other side of Covid too. All my stamina has gone, I'm gutted! I don't race, just run for me, but I like the achievement of running a bit further and now I can barely manage 3 miles. Was up to half distance in January :(
My situation is different (I've not had covid; but am living with something affecting my heart / lungs which is making breathing so hard) but I'm in a similar situation. Ran my second best half marathon time ever in February at Brighton and now, I'm lucky if I can over 2 miles. I managed half a mile on Monday and had to walk the rest of the way home. :( Managed slightly further this morning.

Now having to email race organisers as I signed up for a race almost every month this year (apart from May and November) and know I'm going to struggle. Thankfully, a few have shorter distances.

• Heart
Reactions: 4