Ruby Granger #6 Holes in tights and Victorian delights!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why is it called World Book Day if it's just in the UK?
According to the ever useful wikipedia: "The event is the local manifestation of the original, global World Book Day organized by UNESCO to promote reading, publishing, and copyright, and widely observed on 23 April. Organizers in the UK moved the observance to avoid clashes with Easter school holidays and with St George's Day. Conversely, the World Book Night event organized by independent charity The Reading Agency is held on 23 April."

Reactions: 8
According to the ever useful wikipedia: "The event is the local manifestation of the original, global World Book Day organized by UNESCO to promote reading, publishing, and copyright, and widely observed on 23 April. Organizers in the UK moved the observance to avoid clashes with Easter school holidays and with St George's Day. Conversely, the World Book Night event organized by independent charity The Reading Agency is held on 23 April."
That makes sense, thanks!

Reactions: 1
Hmmmm, costume ideas ... I’m guessing Ruby will dress as one of the following: Alice (home-made pinafore and hairband), Darrell Rivers from Malory Towers (yellow gingham Christmas present school frock and boater), Sara Crewe (home-made pinafore and hairband ...) or Emma from the eponymous Jane Austen novel (because bonnet). Make your bets, you cool cats and kittens!

Reactions: 19
I’m pretty sure in the zoom that she said she’d send a book that she thinks the winner would like. Not just a recommendation 😅

Reactions: 1
Loooool. The WBD tradition of dressing up has been widely criticised because it detracts from the joy of actual reading. It's cute for primary schools but for anyone older?? Just no.
I can attest to this - I worked in a primary school a while back, and most of the children either dressed as celebrities, Disney characters (when they hadn't actually read the story the film was based on), or were clearly dressed up by their parents (i.e. they didn't even know which character they were supposed to be). It's become more of a fancy-dress day than anything to do with reading.

Reactions: 15
I can attest to this - I worked in a primary school a while back, and most of the children either dressed as celebrities, Disney characters (when they hadn't actually read the story the film was based on), or were clearly dressed up by their parents (i.e. they didn't even know which character they were supposed to be). It's become more of a fancy-dress day than anything to do with reading.
Yeah, I'm a brownie leader and on our last Zoom meeting one of our kids said they were dressing up as Harley Quinn- I suppose that that's technically a book since it's a comic book but likely she's just seen the film and thought it was cool

Reactions: 5
Hmmmm, costume ideas ... I’m guessing Ruby will dress as one of the following: Alice (home-made pinafore and hairband), Darrell Rivers from Malory Towers (yellow gingham Christmas present school frock and boater), Sara Crewe (home-made pinafore and hairband ...) or Emma from the eponymous Jane Austen novel (because bonnet). Make your bets, you cool cats and kittens!
Oof you've made it tough! Sara Crewe, though

Reactions: 3
I remember as I got older and didn’t want to do it at school, I dressed up in normal clothes and claimed I was ‘Hermione when she’s not in school’ 😂

Ruby must have some Harry Potter robes somewhere in that dress up box of hers, or is it too cliche if she dressed as Hermione?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I hate this. I know this’ll make me sound like a total snob and I fully support the idea that reading is reading and if someone is engaging with the printed word though comics or graphic novels then that’s not a problem with me, but I live near a primary school and on World Book Day all you see are kids in Disney princess dresses and Marvel superhero costumes - there are very few costumes that are clearly from a book and not a ‘book of the film or tv series’. I’m not a huge fan of schools encouraging dress-up days anyway as I think it can put huge pressure on lower income families, but it does make me sad that so few kids seem to be engaging with books in a meaningful way, which is what WBD was supposed to encourage.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I hate this. I know this’ll make me sound like a total snob and I fully support the idea that reading is reading and if someone is engaging with the printed word though comics or graphic novels then that’s not a problem with me, but I live near a primary school and on World Book Day all you see are kids in Disney princess dresses and Marvel superhero costumes - there are very few costumes that are clearly from a book and not a ‘book of the film or tv series’. I’m not a huge fan of schools encouraging dress-up days anyway as I think it can put huge pressure on lower income families, but it does make me sad that so few kids seem to be engaging with books in a meaningful way, which is what WBD was supposed to encourage.
So basically it's just Halloween but at school lol

Reactions: 8
Yeah I think the masses of children dressed as non-book characters doesn't help those who enjoy reading and want to dress up as book characters becuase they might be seen as "uncool". However when I was in school I did like collecting all the world book day tokens from my friends who didn't like reading :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 12
1614701814176.png

Anyone else think she looks her age for once in her stories today?

• Sick
Reactions: 10
1. She deliberately posed this way in the first picture to make her collarbones stick out.
2. Why is she showing us her socks?!
Oh you know the sock-showing is just to display her bendiness, waist and butt.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Maybe Anne of Green Gables? As long as it's not frickin Hermione Granger

Reactions: 2
I think it‘s great she has a hobby other than reading and studying but she needs to really be careful with her gymnastics. Her front walkover was extremely uncontrolled and not well executed at all. She really should focus on gaining control over her body before attempting to do stuff like that or else she‘s really going to hurt herself.
I know it's not possible right now because of covid but I hope she signs herself up for some real gymnastics classes post pandemic. It'll help her avoid more injuries and also meet new people!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.