Ruby Granger #37 You can still get one while you can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I always hold Ruby accountable for her mistakes and thinly veiled tit moral code but come on guys she got accepted into oxford for God’s sake. The best university in the world!!! Surely, no matter how messed up she might be, there is some real brain and material in her because we all know how competitive it is to get into Oxbridge.
It's not the same as getting into Oxford to do your undergrad though. The number of people who want to pursue postgraduate study is quite small in general, never mind for arts/humanities masters specifically. The bar for getting in is lower at postgrad. You just get a 1st in your undergrad and send a CV and some example pieces of work. There's no interview - if there was you can bet she wouldn't have been successful.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I come here a lot in a masochistic way... I have related to Ruby in a lot of ways - the same age, I too do not have a job, and honestly I hate the idea of working 9/5, or even half-time, I also attend one of the best unis in my country and do not use any of its resources, i have only a couple of friends, i live with my parents and rot in my bedroom (as i have failed one of my courses and this final year is only for this course and to write my bachelors) while they nag about that. I am too a shell of my previous self (before COVID). I see a lot of similarities.

But i also see a lot of differences - she lives in a 1st world country, she does YT, she earns money, but hey people here point out her bad writing, poor hygiene, lies, how she fakes productivity. And it all made me feel better about my life. Cause that’s the life I would like to have but she’s BAD at it so it’s not that bad for me!

And now I’m feeling betrayed. Why Ruby? Why can you be bad at productivity, studying, making videos and still get into Oxford? (Here Oxford being the metaphorical life-prize)and why can’t i? I think it better for my mh too unsubscribe from her and to not check tattle😥

No one apart from my therapist will probably understand what am i talking about, so i will leave it here. I hope it’s clear what i wanted to say

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 35
She has known for quite some time that she was accepted. Her taped response was happy, but oddly not overly excited. I think I would have been over the moon if I had got in. The whole vlog has a strange subdued feel to it. If it were someone else I would not question it and simply think they were being mature about their entrance into their dream uni. But with her there is a lot of apprehension written all over her face and in her words. She doesn't seem elated. So maybe the humility is starting to filter in. I am sure the reality of it is. This could be an interesting make it or break it situation. Buckle up; we are in for one heck of a ride.

Reactions: 34
lol that’s definitely the face of someone who’s SYO, SYO happy and excited 😂
I have watched the video and you can tell that she isn't that happy or excited about getting into Oxford as she seems very subdued about the whole thing which seems very strange as normally she would be happy about sharing this kind of news yet for some reason she seems very reluctant to talk about it. It was also telling to me that although she said that she was looking forward to her induction on the course that was on zoom her facial expression said the complete opposite. IMO I still wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't end up going because she looks terrified and really nervous and you can tell that being accepted into Oxford has completely overwhelmed her. I agree with Whisper2Me her reaction to getting into Oxford seems very subdued which is not like Ruby.

Reactions: 16
I come here a lot in a masochistic way... I have related to Ruby in a lot of ways - the same age, I too do not have a job, and honestly I hate the idea of working 9/5, or even half-time, I also attend one of the best unis in my country and do not use any of its resources, i have only a couple of friends, i live with my parents and rot in my bedroom (as i have failed one of my courses and this final year is only for this course and to write my bachelors) while they nag about that. I am too a shell of my previous self (before COVID). I see a lot of similarities.

But i also see a lot of differences - she lives in a 1st world country, she does YT, she earns money, but hey people here point out her bad writing, poor hygiene, lies, how she fakes productivity. And it all made me feel better about my life. Cause that’s the life I would like to have but she’s BAD at it so it’s not that bad for me!

And now I’m feeling betrayed. Why Ruby? Why can you be bad at productivity, studying, making videos and still get into Oxford? (Here Oxford being the metaphorical life-prize)and why can’t i? I think it better for my mh too unsubscribe from her and to not check tattle😥

No one apart from my therapist will probably understand what am i talking about, so i will leave it here. I hope it’s clear what i wanted to say
You're completely right that it's unfair how some people can blag their way into getting what they want while others who are more deserving don't get the same opportunity. Please know that I'm sure everyone in this thread wishes you the best, and you're right to put your mental health first. Definitely look at what wellbeing support there is, because the pandemic has affected everyone and it's nothing to be ashamed of ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I wonder, if the delayed announcement had anything to do with her at least deliberating declining the Oxford offer, because it scared her.

Reactions: 22
I wonder, if the delayed announcement had anything to do with her at least deliberating declining the Oxford offer, because it scared her.
This was my initial thought. It seemed especially odd that despite knowing that she'd been accepted to Oxford finally, she chose to resort to all her usual fabricated timeline vlogs, made-up activities and embellished busywork to try to impress people instead of announcing her Oxford acceptance which would've got the job done much more effectively.

I think she was probably expecting or hoping for a rejection so she could say she tried, was unfairly victimised by a cruel system that doesn't recognise her genius, play the victim and not need to go do the work. And it'd always be there as something she could keep pondering as a superficial pipe dream, thinking she'd never get in.

She's seemed to regress more and has looked lost since getting her acceptance, so she's likely well aware that she's going to be out of her depth at Oxford, especially on a Masters, and will have to be away from home for the better part of a year. It would not shock me if she'd been considering just not going.

Also I find it hilarious that her major explanation for only wanting to go to Oxford was because they were best equipped to support her adoration of learning about manuscripts and the care of them when she's always trashing her books, shoving fragile vintage books in her bag to get destroyed and their family library looks like this:

Untitled678678946465756536356465467676675675667794454543564445456645554797895645668787456356.jpg

Untitled54754756.png

Just not buying it, Rubert.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
This was my initial thought. It seemed especially odd that despite knowing that she'd been accepted to Oxford finally, she chose to resort to all her usual fabricated timeline vlogs, made-up activities and embellished busywork to try to impress people instead of announcing her Oxford acceptance which would've got the job done much more effectively.

I think she was probably expecting or hoping for a rejection so she could say she tried, was unfairly victimised by a cruel system that doesn't recognise her genius, play the victim and not need to go do the work. And it'd always be there as something she could keep pondering as a superficial pipe dream, thinking she'd never get in.

She's seemed to regress more and has looked lost since getting her acceptance, so she's likely well aware that she's going to be out of her depth at Oxford, especially on a Masters, and will have to be away from home for the better part of a year. It would not shock me if she'd been considering just not going.

Also I find it hilarious that her major explanation for only wanting to go to Oxford was because they were best equipped to support her adoration of learning about manuscripts and the care of them when she's always trashing her books, shoving fragile vintage books in her bag to get destroyed and their family library looks like this:

View attachment 2055649
View attachment 2055650

Just not buying it, Rubert.
I agree wholeheartedly. I am really surprised at what she picked as her concentration. Not once I have I heard her rave or even show a mediocre interest over old manuscripts, Shakespeare, that entire time period, reading about the history of that time, nor the literature. There are loads of books about manuscripts and working with them, books on various collections, etc.. I have never heard her talk about any of them or seen them on her shelves. She is going in completely blank, which is not what I expect for someone going for their Masters. Aren't you supposed to have some pretty good knowledge on the subject already? If so, dang, she has a lot of work to do. She should stop twirling in fields and showing us her stupid routines, and instead buckle down with reading up on the subject. If not, then Oxford has a much lower expectation in one's knowledge of things than US Master degrees, which definitely would shock me.

Reactions: 17
No comments from Jack or Jade on Ruby’s Instagram announcement …. 🤭
---
C309186D-BCFE-4742-8455-2BE4E4D25992.jpeg

Also, the acceptance rate for her course is incredibly high. I believe the average admission rate for postgraduate courses at Oxford is 20-30%.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
Maybe it’s the working class in me but I genuinely don’t understand some of these degrees like what job could you possibly get with 1550 literature 💀 To me, they just feel like time passers for the rich and uber privileged.
I agree with you to a point but we should criticize the system where acquiring knowledge became a burden on people's wealth, not the degree. Capitalism has made everything that's not "useful" to "advance" ourselves tit to study but that's not the subjects fault, that's capitalism at play.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Some of these comments have got me thinking. I'm not at all bothered about her studying for the sake of studying. Some people have had the privilege to do that ever since the establishment of The Academy. Its her half-arsed videos and lies that cringe me the duck out.

Reactions: 29
I find it hilarious that she applied for the Early Modern course because she’s interested in the materiality of books.* She basically admitted she likes books as physical objects more than reading them. Studying literature really is all about the aesthetic for her, isn’t it…

(*disclaimer: not to knock it as a field of study, I’m interested in it as well! But we all know what Ruby’s like…)

Reactions: 29
I don’t think she’ll necessary crash and burn. No matter how difficult she’ll find it she’ll never drop out. It means far too much to her. But we will see an obvious increase in her previous bad habits E.g., 15 hour study days and still forcing herself to work on no sleep. There’s bound to be others in her class that will inevitably produce far better work than her and her work itself will be judged to a higher standard than at Exeter, so I am keen to see how she reacts to feedback this time around. Especially since her new found “grades aren’t important” stance.

Reactions: 27
I've just come here after watching the video. She really doesn't seem as happy as I thought she would. In some places it actually seemed more like she was trying to convince herself that she's excited. I agree with others here in that i think her delayed announcement was definitely because she's either scared/having regrets about applying. i think its really hit her that this is a reality and she won't be able to sit at home doing nothing but her pointless routines, especially now she's made it official by announcing it - now she has a load of expectant followers waiting for the oxford content, so she's committed to it.

I guess in relation to whether we think she deserves to get into Oxford or not - I think she does. She has worked hard, and committed a lot of her time to academics and I would hate to see her fail there and have a miserable time. Yeah, I don't particularly like her, or the 'productive' study bullshit narrative she promotes online, but she is also human, and I think she deserves to be happy. At the end of the day, she isn't an awful person, just incredibly privileged and out-of-touch with the rest of society; and she has made some questionable choices over the years with her content. Whether or not she will cope there, I'm not sure, and I guess we will have to wait and see.

Reactions: 32
It's not the same as getting into Oxford to do your undergrad though. The number of people who want to pursue postgraduate study is quite small in general, never mind for arts/humanities masters specifically. The bar for getting in is lower at postgrad. You just get a 1st in your undergrad and send a CV and some example pieces of work. There's no interview - if there was you can bet she wouldn't have been successful.
It might be a blessing in disguise for her though as people do tend to be more mature at postgrad, less socially obsessed and genuinely interested in their subject. I mean, we've been through how Roob isn't actually interested in literature, out of her depth etc so don't need replies on those themes but I studied humanities and obviously started at age 18 or so. I was so disappointed at how little my peers seemed to care- I wasn't a Ruby type, but genuinely interested in my subject. I was the only one doing the department play who was in the first year for example- all the others just went to lectures, ran out like lightning the moment they finished and just concentrated on the social scene. I'm NOT judging but always dreamed of sitting on a picnic rug in the sun discussing the philosophical ideas we'd learnt in the lecture :)
---
DW I did my fair share of ethanol and shagging but still, I would have liked to discuss my subject with my peers in the first year and they were just typical 18 year olds :)
---
Also hasn’t she got a letter? She’s so into letters I’m surprised she didn’t show herself opening the envelope etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
The thumbnail choice is interesting 🤔 she looks like she's thinking 'tit got real'.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Maybe it’s the working class in me but I genuinely don’t understand some of these degrees like what job could you possibly get with 1550 literature 💀 To me, they just feel like time passers for the rich and uber privileged.
I would say that a degree like this one would be a good start for going into curatorial and research based roles in museums, archives or other historic collections. And in my experience, you are quite correct - it does tend to be people from privileged backgrounds who choose this career path. That is not in any way to say that Ruby would be capable of carrying out said roles, as she seems to have absolutely no capacity for complex or original thought whatsoever. The museum and heritage world is packed to the gills with multitudes of serious, ambitious and brilliant-minded people who know their subjects inside out. They would see through her in an instant and simply would not put up with her academia cosplay bullshit. I would imagine once she gets her MA, she will go straight back to her bedroom to twirl and make pointless lists. Good luck to her, she’s about to try and play with the grown ups, and I don’t see it going well. I think she will probably be struck down with a very bad case of Imposter Syndrome within the first week.

I agree wholeheartedly. I am really surprised at what she picked as her concentration. Not once I have I heard her rave or even show a mediocre interest over old manuscripts, Shakespeare, that entire time period, reading about the history of that time, nor the literature. There are loads of books about manuscripts and working with them, books on various collections, etc.. I have never heard her talk about any of them or seen them on her shelves. She is going in completely blank, which is not what I expect for someone going for their Masters. Aren't you supposed to have some pretty good knowledge on the subject already? If so, dang, she has a lot of work to do. She should stop twirling in fields and showing us her stupid routines, and instead buckle down with reading up on the subject. If not, then Oxford has a much lower expectation in one's knowledge of things than US Master degrees, which definitely would shock me.
There was that time she insisted on wasting a huge amount of time during her dissertation on going on a "solo study trip" with mummy to the historial archives in Surrey:

But she seemed incredibly disappointed by the entire experience and came to the realisation that it was a waste of time after weeks of people telling her it would be a waste of time and her just insisting they were wrong.

She showed only a superficial interest in the whole thing and showed an incredibly simplistic (if not entirely nonexistent) understanding of the value of manuscripts, so the fact that she's trying to make that the entire focus of her Masters is hilarious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
Screenshot_20230325-220121~2.png

Someone in the comments says they are a lecturer who finds Ruby 's content truly inspirational... How have they not seen the glaring errors, bad poetry, bad advice etc?!

• Haha
I am really surprised at what she picked as her concentration. Not once I have I heard her rave or even show a mediocre interest over old manuscripts, Shakespeare, that entire time period, reading about the history of that time, nor the literature.
Her main interest has always been the Victorian period, but looking at the acceptance rate on her course (shared by @yeya upthread), I'm assuming she chose it for the likelihood of getting a place. If Ruby's feeling uncertain about her offer, maybe it's because she's prioritising Oxford over the course content, i.e. she's just not that interested in Early Modern lit.

Her subdued response might be due to the delay between receiving the news and uploading the video. She seemed extremely happy before going to Italy imo. This is when she was posting all of those upbeat TikToks and Wes Anderson clips. Maybe she's just had time to calm down.

Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.