Ruby Granger #37 You can still get one while you can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe it’s the working class in me but I genuinely don’t understand some of these degrees like what job could you possibly get with 1550 literature 💀 To me, they just feel like time passers for the rich and uber privileged.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 49
Screenshot_20230325_171652_com.google.android.youtube_edit_1781009057023548.jpg

New degree, same old phonetic excellence; some things will never change :') all hail the writing spiders of communist question!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
Maybe it’s the working class in me but I genuinely don’t understand some of these degrees like what job could you possibly get with 1550 literature 💀 To me, they just feel like time passers for the rich and uber privileged.
It’s not supposed to get you a job, it’s meant to be a first step towards a career in academia. Tbh, not every degree has to be career oriented and studying the humanities is important. But yeah obviously most people pursuing this are middle class because working class people choose more vocational degrees as they need to get on the career ladder and cant risk failing at academia the same way rich people can.

Reactions: 47
"Gatting rejackted from Oxford was the basst thing fwore me and I lahrrned to face rejacktion head on. It was a wake-opp cwall fwore how moch of moiy oiydantitee oiy based on adadammick socksass!"

This the same Ruby who made a video literally crying for sympathy that she got marked down for her first English Lit essay at Exeter, even though the grade wouldn't count towards her degree?

This the same Ruby who framed that experience as her being punished for "taking chaaahnces" after admitting that she ignored all the assignment instructions?

This the same Ruby who picked fault and complained that all the Firsts she got weren't higher?

This the same Ruby who responds to all constructive criticism online by just deleting comments and avoiding accountability for every scandal?

This the same Ruby who pulled her book from submission and scrapped it the second she started facing publisher rejections?

She didn't learn a thing about dealing with rejection and failure or about changing her stance on the importance of grades.

She hasn't changed one bit since high school. Her going back for another try at Oxford despite having no genuine interest in English or any need of a Masters just shows that she's had the same chip on her shoulder about her rejection that Jack Edwards and Jade Bowler have.

She's clearly terrified about going, too. She's regressed even more since getting her acceptance. Her bedroom becomes more of a shrine to childhood every day:

Untitled5675464645645665756786876775668567 - Copy.png

Untitled56754646456456657556456786876775668567 - Copy.png

And of course she shoved an undeclared ad for BARDEN BLAND and an eyebrow-waggling, head-shaking bootleg AMMA WATSON reading into her acceptance announcement video.

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Oh my I know I've been missing for a long time went back to work as everyone decided to strike was not fun,

But what on earth Did Oxford finally have enough off Ruby sending them tea and random drawings and just say OK let her in

• Haha
Reactions: 23
It’s not supposed to get you a job, it’s meant to be a first step towards a career in academia. Tbh, not every degree has to be career oriented and studying the humanities is important. But yeah obviously most people pursuing this are middle class because working class people choose more vocational degrees as they need to get on the career ladder and cant risk failing at academia the same way rich people can.
if anyone's interested in the intersections of academia and class mobility, there was recently a very good article published on the topic, you can read it here: https://www.economist.com/1843/2023/03/01/oxford-universitys-other-diversity-crisis

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I think the part Ruby will struggle with is that when I went from UG to MA at a standard Russell Group I had to get my head around the fact that the “Marking Level” went up from say 5 to 6 meaning that at UG a 60 would be a 2:1 and really good, but the same essay marked to MA “Level 6” standard would be a 50 and a Pass, still good but you need to get up to the “60 = Merit” and “70 = Distinction” Level. And when you’ve got only one year, in my case 5 essays across a dissertation and four modules that’s a quick, intense mental turnaround.

Oxford, based on my friend who did her Eng Lit Masters there, go an extra level and their Merit mark is 65, meaning the goal posts are moved up again.

Reactions: 20
Not OP, but the irony of you insisting up and down this thread that she's going to suffer(?), have a hard time, do terribly, that she hasn't earned it (all while not knowing anyone who went to Oxford), and then saying this is quite funny. It clearly does makes your life better to think hers is going terribly, compared with other posters just saying that yes she's got problems, but no they don't wish pain and suffering on her, a fairly normal reaction.

And before you come at me calling me a fan, I used to post in these threads, and still occasionally read, so no, I'm not a fan. But I'm certainly not feeling giddy and gleeful at the prospect of her suffering?????

And I do know people who went to Oxford. And I agree with @gisellejoly. I know of someone who studied a masters there and basically had a handful of projects that were really easy for them because they were around a topic they enjoyed (duh, they paid to go and study it even more).
Idk personally it's just (gonna pull a Roobee and use a word that I'm not sure how to spell or the exact meaning of, German speakers in the thread feel free to laugh at me) Schadenfreude? Like I don't dislike her or want anything bad to happen to her but at the same time I don't feel bad for her either when she makes herself miserable and I find it quite comical in a tragic way. Everything I've learnt about her so far has made me dislike her lol. I don't think anyone here feels strongly enough about her to actively wish to see her suffer. I think we're all here because she's a dumpster fire we can't look away from and it's funny to see someone present herself in a certain way (intellectual, mature, productive, reflective, aesthetic, clean and organized) and then consistently act like the complete opposite everytime they do anything
And personally what I do wish for her is a wake-up call. I want her to realize how miserable she's making herself. It seems to me she's never faced the reality of how other people live and that she could live like that too and be happier without necessarily betraying herself

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Not OP, but the irony of you insisting up and down this thread that she's going to suffer(?), have a hard time, do terribly, that she hasn't earned it (all while not knowing anyone who went to Oxford), and then saying this is quite funny. It clearly does makes your life better to think hers is going terribly, compared with other posters just saying that yes she's got problems, but no they don't wish pain and suffering on her, a fairly normal reaction.

And before you come at me calling me a fan, I used to post in these threads, and still occasionally read, so no, I'm not a fan. But I'm certainly not feeling giddy and gleeful at the prospect of her suffering?????

And I do know people who went to Oxford. And I agree with @gisellejoly. I know of someone who studied a masters there and basically had a handful of projects that were really easy for them because they were around a topic they enjoyed (duh, they paid to go and study it even more).
Yeah I ain't gonna police the thread or tell people what they can and can’t say on here, but some comments are kinda odd imo.
Also not sure why people keep saying that oh she’s going to struggle sooo much at Oxford like that’s something that will be unique to her? Everyone I know who went to Oxbridge (which is not that many people tbf lmao) said it was insanely difficult, they spent many sleepless nights studying and stressing out. It’s not easy at all.

• Heart
Yeah I ain't gonna police the thread or tell people what they can and can’t say on here, but some comments are kinda odd imo.
Also not sure why people keep saying that oh she’s going to struggle sooo much at Oxford like that’s something that will be unique to her? Everyone I know who went to Oxbridge (which is not that many people tbf lmao) said it was insanely difficult, they spent many sleepless nights studying and stressing out. It’s not easy at all.
I think for me the major difference is that most students going to Oxford will have some amount of independence under their belt or will quickly learn to adjust. Ruby's incapable of spending more than a couple of days away from mummy without becoming a complete wreck and only got worse over the past few years. Her gap year was a perfect opportunity to work on that, but she squandered it.

And that's before factoring in that she's doesn't seem to have any genuine interest in studying English (or anything, for that matter) beyond her usual superficial nonsense to impress her young and gullible audience, while most people will go into a Masters actually wanting to learn something. I definitely think she'll find it a lot harder than other students studying at the same level, especially given how little ability she has to think critically or exercise any independent thought.

Idk personally it's just (gonna pull a Roobee and use a word that I'm not sure how to spell or the exact meaning of, German speakers in the thread feel free to laugh at me) Schadenfreude? Like I don't dislike her or want anything bad to happen to her but at the same time I don't feel bad for her either when she makes herself miserable and I find it quite comical in a tragic way. Everything I've learnt about her so far has made me dislike her lol. I don't think anyone here feels strongly enough about her to actively wish to see her suffer. I think we're all here because she's a dumpster fire we can't look away from and it's funny to see someone present herself in a certain way (intellectual, mature, productive, reflective, aesthetic, clean and organized) and then consistently act like the complete opposite everytime they do anything
And personally what I do wish for her is a wake-up call. I want her to realize how miserable she's making herself. It seems to me she's never faced the reality of how other people live and that she could live like that too and be happier without necessarily betraying herself
I get the idea of feeling schadenfreude at her actual errors.

But as to the bolded, I respectfully disagree, and that was what I was really commenting on. I won't start quoting from people, because I don't want this to dissolve into moderating, but a few posters in the past couple pages really do seem to wish that. And I think pushing back is fair game.

Reactions: 4
At least we can enjoy the thought of Jack Edwards smarting about this.

I don't particularly like Jade either but I can imagine her being sincerely happy for Ruby (unlike YouTube's Resident Grifter) since she and Ruby seem to be genuine friends and Jade has deluded herself into thinking Minerva was better for her than a traditional uni.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I always hold Ruby accountable for her mistakes and thinly veiled tit moral code but come on guys she got accepted into oxford for God’s sake. The best university in the world!!! Surely, no matter how messed up she might be, there is some real brain and material in her because we all know how competitive it is to get into Oxbridge.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.