Ruby Granger #37 You can still get one while you can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Untitled5675464645645664545477457556456786876775668567 - Copy.png

Christ, even when she's actually declaring gifted products she can't stop herself from muddying the waters with misleading and dishonest tit.

It was gifted, Ruby, so you were paid with a product to advertise it. There is no such thing as 'gifted, but not sponsored'. Whether it's cash, products or services, you got paid by the brand. Just declare it as an ad.

Untitled567546464580980964566454547745709855645678680-=76775668567 - Copy.png

Untitled567546464580980964566454547745755645678680-=76775668567 - Copy.png

The ASA/CAP rules are really clear, she just ignores them every single time.

Reactions: 21
But what books of that period did she say she READ on her personal statement? Surely she would need to include that? 😐

Reactions: 11
Yeah I really wonder why/how she got in tbh. Did they just look at her grades? Were they impressed by the infamous Carroll dissertation? Did her lecturers praise her in their reference letters in a desperate attempt to avoid having her return to Axeter for her master's? Or did the Oxford admissions department remember her interview all those years ago and decided to let her in just to see if she's stil this funny? I mean, Ruby herself probably believes she got in because her head girl position looks so impressive on her CV ^^

• Haha
Reactions: 17
But what books of that period did she say she READ on her personal statement? Surely she would need to include that? 😐
FF267FEE-0C96-4093-B4C8-30882A40B42E.jpeg

From the small glimpse she showed of her drafting her personal statement, she was bragging about attending a lecture by Farah Karim-Cooper who's a Professor of Shakespeare Studies. I imagine Ruby used her usual tactic of just recycling the books and thoughts mentioned in the lecture notes when writing her statement.

I'd be shocked if she actually read anything from the period outside Sparknotes summaries.

Reactions: 13
The 1700-1830 one actually has a higher admission rate and seems more like the kind of literature she likes so it’s all very confusing tbh
It's becoming more and more obvious that she has chosen to study the wrong course as she has done more research on literature that is at a later period whereas in the 1550-1700 course that she is doing she has hardly done any research on literature during this time period apart from reading the odd Shakespeare book and doing the Theatricals module and the Life and Death module at Exeter. It is also quite telling that in her video even her family and friends were surprised that she chose this course to study as even they know that she loves literature from other time periods, it is also telling that Ruby admits herself that she loves Victorian literature yet she chose to study English in the 1550-1700 for the simple fact that she gets to handle used manuscripts.

Reactions: 15
It's becoming more and more obvious that she has chosen to study the wrong course as she has done more research on literature that is at a later period whereas in the 1550-1700 course that she is doing she has hardly done any research on literature during this time period apart from reading the odd Shakespeare book and doing the Theatricals module and the Life and Death module at Exeter. It is also quite telling that in her video even her family and friends were surprised that she chose this course to study as even they know that she loves literature from other time periods, it is also telling that Ruby admits herself that she loves Victorian literature yet she chose to study English in the 1550-1700 for the simple fact that she gets to handle used manuscripts.
Hopefully she will be doing some preparation and reading some of the key texts from that period from now until October. There's quite a few months yet so she could do some ground work now, rather than go to Oxford in October with little to no background knowledge of the period. At least it would giver her legitimate material to study for her vlogs, rather than the busywork she has been doing.

Reactions: 13
The thought of ruby and her dirty hands handling manuscripts bothers me so much as someone who studies history and worked in an archive, as I could see her damaging it with how harsh she is with objects and probably spill her fountain pen ink on it, as she would have to be all dark academia instead of using pencil like anyone else.

I think that the course would be good for her and hopefully will expose her to people who are more.mature than her / had more life experience and force her to grow up a bit.

Also this explains why she has been learning Latin of late.

Reactions: 26
There's so much excellent Shakespeare research, it's such a dense field... she'd better be off choosing a different topic (remember the child actors in Shakespeare plays that interested her?) if she doesn't have much prior research experience for her BA thesis and advanced modules.

Nothing would have prevented her from looking at manuscripts if she had chosen the Victorian period. In fact, there might be more manuscripts and some that are not or lesser-studied.

Reactions: 12
"Before I heard back I didn't know what I'd be doing next year like if I didn't get into Masters I wasn't really sure what I'd be doing next year and there's just so much space ahead when you graduate like academic years like separate everything quite neatly whereas leaving University it's just like this vast expanse of blankness it's quite nice having something something structured in place."

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, I took this quote directly from Ruby's video.

You can clearly see how lost and unsure she would be in the world without Academia to structure her life. Ruby is a young, bright woman who has means to try and explore different career choices. She could put her own structure in her life, but apparently she is unable to do so.
It's quite sad that she calls life outside academia a "vast expanse of blankness". Goes to show how much she closed herself off to the wider world.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Not a book but she had to read The Winter’s Tale for A-Level so I’d imagine that’s the extent of it.
---
Thinking about how she originally applied to Exeter to do English Literature with American Studies, then called and asked them to change it to Philosophy and Theology, then changed to just English Literature after her first year. With this in mind her switching to the Victorian course seems pretty likely and not just a possibility

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
there's just so much space ahead when you graduate like academic years like separate everything quite neatly whereas leaving University it's just like this vast expanse of blankness it's quite nice having something something structured in place."
Most adults find this sense of structure in their job, relationship/ family commitments, and pursuit of personal goals. I can't imagine having a life so empty that you describe graduating uni as a vast space of blankness.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Before I heard back I didn't know what I'd be doing next year like if I didn't get into Masters I wasn't really sure what I'd be doing next year and there's just so much space ahead when you graduate
It's interesting that she didn't really talk about the other options she was considering (probably because Oxford was the only option). She said that she put her application to the back of her mind, but didn't she think about what projects she could start if she didn't get in ? The fact that her video is called "I got into Oxford" and not "My plans for the future" or something like that shows that it's not so much about studying or the course for her, it's about the name of the place. I really hope that she is doing this course for the right reasons and not just for the Oxford label (which is a reason, but not sufficient).
Graduating can be daunting, I get that. I agree with her that there is less structure, in that you don't necessarily know what you will be doing in the next couple of years. I went straight into a job after graduating from my masters, but other jobs come up and you question a lot about what you want to achieve. For people who enjoyed uni, graduating is really weird. If you are an academic type like Rubes, doing corporate job is soul destroying, and that limits your options somewhat.

Reactions: 15
She said in her video she found out in ”early February”. She posted this on February 15.

View attachment 2056676

She’s ”struggled to see light and positivity” in the week after she got accepted into Oxford?
Maybe it’s the thought of moving away from home - like she can be really happy about getting into Oxford but struggle with the idea of moving out of home again.
The video was so jumpy - is that just bad editing?
I was also struck by how often she used the word failure about her previous Oxford attempt. Most mature people would be thinking of it as more a learning experience, wasn’t the right time for me, I’ve learnt so much since, I wouldn’t have had my time at Exeter etc. it’s very worrying that she still sees herself as having failed.

Reactions: 18
Good for her and all that, but I’m finding her videos increasingly unwatchable, even for the comedy content. Her ‘serious and thoughtful’ narration just reminds me of trying to bull**it the way through answer to a question in a meeting that you tuned out of shortly after it started …
Same here, I'd rather read @gossip_guy 's summaries than watch the whole thing and hear her oddly pronounced monotone.

Reactions: 10
I must say, when I watched her video and saw she's applied for the 1500-1700 module, I laughed so hard. It is SO obvious she chose it because it's renowned for having a high acceptance rate (so few people apply for that subject. It's insane). She's slick; I'll give her that.

I didn't even consider acceptance rates when applying for my master's. When I was there, they told us on induction day that we were the 35 students out of over 380 applicants. That was a wake-up call.

The fact that Ruby was likely only up against 20 other applicants shows she definitely chose it based on the chance to get in, NOT passion for the subject.

Reactions: 19
I was also struck by how often she used the word failure about her previous Oxford attempt. Most mature people would be thinking of it as more a learning experience, wasn’t the right time for me, I’ve learnt so much since, I wouldn’t have had my time at Exeter etc. it’s very worrying that she still sees herself as having failed.
she should try applying for jobs and than come back to her statement about failure. If I would have seen every rejection after an application as a failure, I'd be really miserable.

Reactions: 18
There was that time she insisted on wasting a huge amount of time during her dissertation on going on a "solo study trip" with mummy to the historial archives in Surrey:

But she seemed incredibly disappointed by the entire experience and came to the realisation that it was a waste of time after weeks of people telling her it would be a waste of time and her just insisting they were wrong.

She showed only a superficial interest in the whole thing and showed an incredibly simplistic (if not entirely nonexistent) understanding of the value of manuscripts, so the fact that she's trying to make that the entire focus of her Masters is hilarious.
Don't you all think she just focused on that particular field because of the acceptance rate? So that she gets that Oxford degree she's been after for so long without having to compete with brighter people who have stronger applications?
---
I must say, when I watched her video and saw she's applied for the 1500-1700 module, I laughed so hard. It is SO obvious she chose it because it's renowned for having a high acceptance rate (so few people apply for that subject. It's insane). She's slick; I'll give her that.

I didn't even consider acceptance rates when applying for my master's. When I was there, they told us on induction day that we were the 35 students out of over 380 applicants. That was a wake-up call.

The fact that Ruby was likely only up against 20 other applicants shows she definitely chose it based on the chance to get in, NOT passion for the subject.
I see there's already at least one person who thinks like me :)
---
Maybe it’s the working class in me but I genuinely don’t understand some of these degrees like what job could you possibly get with 1550 literature 💀 To me, they just feel like time passers for the rich and uber privileged.
In my country, even if you're rich and privileged, this sort of degree will only lead you to being unemployed, so I don't think that's a working class reaction: it's just a "normal world" reaction, as opposed to Roobee's fantasies.

I laughed so hard when reading the comment of a person saying something like "you're joining the likes of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis". A few months ago, someone had to point to Rubeole that Tolkien went to Oxford because "she tought he went to Cambridge" Why do people try to flatter her with comments she won't even care about because she doesn't even know who/what they are talking about?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
she should try applying for jobs and than come back to her statement about failure. If I would have seen every rejection after an application as a failure, I'd be really miserable.
And that’s if they even bother replying 🤣

Reactions: 10
I was honestly shocked like her whole brand is Victorian literature and she's not applying for that? Like if she wanted to work with manuscripts there are plenty of masters degrees that do archival work but I guess Oxford and acceptance rate is all that matters to this girl smh I don't even remember her talking about life and death or shakespeare in great detail whilst she's made countless Victorian content

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.