Ruby Granger #37 You can still get one while you can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good for her and all that, but I’m finding her videos increasingly unwatchable, even for the comedy content. Her ‘serious and thoughtful’ narration just reminds me of trying to bull**it the way through answer to a question in a meeting that you tuned out of shortly after it started …

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I only half watched the video bloody small humans is she going to be living on campus or hiding at mommy and daddy's house

• Haha
Reactions: 11
View attachment 2055902

Someone in the comments says they are a lecturer who finds Ruby 's content truly inspirational... How have they not seen the glaring errors, bad poetry, bad advice etc?!
This guy must work at a uni with even lower standards than Exetah, which is saying something.
---
I only half watched the video bloody small humans is she going to be living on campus or hiding at mommy and daddy's house
Oxford has a rule that you have to live within six miles of campus iirc whereas Exeter couldn't care less if you live on the moon during your degree, as long as you submit your assignments. So she's going to have to live (and stay) on campus this time

• Haha
Reactions: 22
She'll be at Jesus right? Postgraduates at Jesus live in either the 17th century ship street house or a building opened in 2022. Can you imagine her outrage if she has to live in the modern building rather than the aesthetic "Victorian" (which is definitely not Victorian but she'll call it that anyway) rooms that will remind her of mummy and daddys country manor?
---
She might have already mentioned this, I can't get through her videos and I'm still catching up on the thread. Anyway I'm excited to watch this trainwreck with all of you x

Reactions: 28
not going to lie, as someone from a (very) working class background who had to struggle really hard for my own academic achievements I am envious but I guess that's life.

also, why are the palm of her hands so red?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
No comments from Jack or Jade on Ruby’s Instagram announcement …. 🤭
---
View attachment 2055747
Also, the acceptance rate for her course is incredibly high. I believe the average admission rate for postgraduate courses at Oxford is 20-30%.
I know the acceptance email will be automated and say the same thing to everyone, but I did get a good laugh seeing this immediately after watching her read the email that said “our graduate admission cycle is highly competitive” 🤣

I wonder if this will be a theology repeat? in the sense that she’s gone against her true interests. I don’t think she’ll fail but she’d certainly have a better time studying the victorians.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Her main interest has always been the Victorian period, but looking at the acceptance rate on her course (shared by @yeya upthread), I'm assuming she chose it for the likelihood of getting a place. If Ruby's feeling uncertain about her offer, maybe it's because she's prioritising Oxford over the course content, i.e. she's just not that interested in Early Modern lit.

Her subdued response might be due to the delay between receiving the news and uploading the video. She seemed extremely happy before going to Italy imo. This is when she was posting all of those upbeat TikToks and Wes Anderson clips. Maybe she's just had time to calm down.
Yeah she defnitely looked at the acceptance rates on the website and picked the master's with the highest acceptance rate and it's just hilarious to me because that's so spineless and so completely in character for Ruby xD It's just so blatantly obvious that she doesn't give a duck about the content but just wanted to go to Oxford lmao. Her interest is not in early modern manuscripts, everyone who even just takes a fleeting glance at her videos and her posts will know that she had a focus on Victorian lit.

So she just pivoted in order to get in, which is just so... calculated and strategic, the same way that her padding her CV with ""impressive jobs"" during her gap year was strategic. Which is just super funny cause it blatantly contradicts her "I am just so, so genuinely passionate about literature uwu" persona. She's not. She's not on a mission to contribute to scholarship on early modern manuscripts, she's on a mission to satisfy her ego and that's all there is to it.

Reactions: 27
No comments from Jack or Jade on Ruby’s Instagram announcement …. 🤭
---
View attachment 2055747
Also, the acceptance rate for her course is incredibly high. I believe the average admission rate for postgraduate courses at Oxford is 20-30%.
Looking at the admissions pages, you’ve cropped out where it mentions that the c. 65 figure is actually the combined number of places for all English Mst courses (see the asterisk below the box) that’s 65 students across 5 different periods of English literature! So it’s actually quite a bit more competitive than your screenshot suggests, and much more in keeping with the statistic of 20%-30% acceptance you mentioned, perhaps even a little lower. This one below is Ruby’s course.
8909577F-0A71-490E-AEDA-96524B2B5177.jpeg

These are the 5 different Mst courses that make up 65 places between them. The 1900 onwards one has 200 applicants per year so that’s by far the most popular but the others seem very similar in terms of number of applicants.
9F77CEF5-5F97-4514-88B9-32CF1E03708D.jpeg

all of this information is available on https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/humanities/english

• Wow
Reactions: 15
Looking at the admissions pages, you’ve cropped out where it mentions that the c. 65 figure is actually the combined number of places for all English Mst courses (see the asterisk below the box) that’s 65 students across 5 different periods of English literature! So it’s actually quite a bit more competitive than your screenshot suggests, and much more in keeping with the statistic of 20%-30% acceptance you mentioned, perhaps even a little lower. This one below is Ruby’s course.View attachment 2056227
These are the 5 different Mst courses that make up 65 places between them. The 1900 onwards one has 200 applicants per year so that’s by far the most popular but the others seem very similar in terms of number of applicants.
View attachment 2056234
all of this information is available on https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/humanities/english
That makes it even worse she got in tbh, some poor medievalist from an underfunded state school is feeling sad right now :(

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Totally random but I've been on the Dakota Warren thread on Tattle. I wonder if Roob sold her extracted tooth to Dakota... 🤣 (Im sure a lot of you are aware that Dakota collects teeth)

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Looking at the admissions pages, you’ve cropped out where it mentions that the c. 65 figure is actually the combined number of places for all English Mst courses (see the asterisk below the box) that’s 65 students across 5 different periods of English literature! So it’s actually quite a bit more competitive than your screenshot suggests, and much more in keeping with the statistic of 20%-30% acceptance you mentioned, perhaps even a little lower. This one below is Ruby’s course.View attachment 2056227
View attachment 2056234
Here is the up to date acceptance rate for her course. It's 36% https://www.admissionreport.com/university-of-oxford/mst-english/1550-1700 ! It's not the least competitive of the English MSts but it also doesn't have as low of an acceptance rate as other programmes! I think Jack Edwards applied to 1900-present and that has a 14% acceptance rate which I guess makes him being rejected twice not that bad cause it's actually super competitive.

Anyways, I really wish her the best. It is intense and I really hope she actually branches out and doesn't JUSt work. Oxbridge social life can be really fun with formals, bops and just being surrounded by (generally) really passionate and interesting people, so I really hope she doesn't spend all her time in her room

Reactions: 19
I really hope Oxford humbles her. I did an MA at UCL right after undergrad and let me tell you it humbled me. Mostly because everyone who was on the MA with we were older and professional individuals who worked in the field/working full time or just had a lot more life experience than me. Since I was the youngest I felt incredibly intimidated and it was a wake up call for me.

I would assume a similar thing will happen to Ruby. But instead of seeing it as an opportunity to learn from her peers she'll just pretend that she's smarter than them when she has no other experience in the field besides her undergraduate degree. Shes going to get grilled by her lectures/tutors/peers/etc. She'll no longer be the big fish in a small pond and we all know how well she copes with that so it's going to be fun to watch

Reactions: 15
also, why are the palm of her hands so red?
She's been giving herself a round of applause for weeks straight.

Totally random but I've been on the Dakota Warren thread on Tattle. I wonder if Roob sold her extracted tooth to Dakota... 🤣 (Im sure a lot of you are aware that Dakota collects teeth)
She's TWALVE, so she definitely put it under her pillow for the tooth fairy.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
It's a personal view of the Oxford tea but I don't think it's a "good" thing for her to go there. At least not now. Let's be honest: despite pretending she was over her initial Oxford rejection, she never fully was. Here, what you see and hear isn't an adult who sees new opportunities to learn, make new contacts, discover and build a new life, it's still an angry child who was waiting for it and finally be able to put the name "Oxford" in bold letters on all her social medias and resume.

Now she will be able to run at her old school and tell her former teachers ( if they aren't retired already) she's still their little best student. Not even because she truly likes them as persons, but just to seek compliments from persons she remembers as authority figures. I guess the next step will be trying to find her old "school bullies" ( aka victims of her pathetic snobbish attitude who's only crime was being a regular kid and not a Hermione Granger cheap copy) and make fun of them for not being in uni, for having random jobs and not being able to afford a life twirling, all clad in ass-thetic Miss Patina clothes, in the corridors of a prestigious university.

Because that's all Ruby is at the end, a child who never get away from the fact not everyone was liking her and who's still seeking for validation. Therapy was the only thing she needed during that year. It's sad that we have tons of influencers but never influencers who give a good example.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
View attachment 2056234
It’s so counterintuitive to present it that way though

She said in her video she found out in ”early February”. She posted this on February 15.

301CB5F3-6BD2-4D5D-A1F3-7EE56297337C.jpeg

She’s ”struggled to see light and positivity” in the week after she got accepted into Oxford?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
She’ll try and transfer to Victorian lit within a few months. It does sometimes work!

Reactions: 23
If she has a hard time at Oxford, she'll blame it on doing the wrong course again.
She wrote her BA thesis on Lewis Caroll, looked at his manuscripts (not early modern ones), did that volunteer job at the Emily Dickinson museum and reads mostly Victorian literature. How did she get placed on the early modern course? Surely the tutors would have seen a discrepancy there.

Reactions: 29
She’ll try and transfer to Victorian lit within a few months. It does sometimes work!
I don't even think she'll try that. I think she'll keep that back as an excuse for if/when she fails and bails.

"Oiy only stroggled becozz oiy wasn't following moiy tryoo passion! Oiy shodd have trossted moiy instincts and apployed for theee Victorian cwourse! That way oiy could've recycled awl moiy old Nyotion nyotes about Victorian attikat--uhh, I mean, been stoddying something oiy was JANUINELY passionate about. JANUINELY."

• Haha
Reactions: 22
View attachment 2056234
Apologies! I didn’t mean to mislead everyone - I didn’t actually notice that myself. But yes very counterintuitive as @missmina said.

Edit: I have found these much more in-depth statistics from this FOI request https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/english_mst_admissions_statistic

814CD6E5-8AD9-4CEB-A979-7E9DC82C8F96.jpeg

2BF29893-DD99-41CC-9890-C63BC257D91B.jpeg

Hers is surprisingly enough not the course with the highest admission rate. The 1700-1830 one actually has a higher admission rate and seems more like the kind of literature she likes so it’s all very confusing tbh

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.