Ruby Granger #33 Goes on a boat, dresses like Captain Birdseye

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Look what you’ve done, mean hater bullies! 😂

View attachment 1726439
"I don't want this to turn into a negative space" = I don't want people to keep questioning me bc this is actually an AD but the museum and I did something shady to not have to report it as an AD and I didn't think that people would question me or find it suspicious. This whole thing is so sus.

One of you mentioned earlier that she did all this to add to her resume as an unpaid internship and make it look impressive and I'm believing it now. It looks better if this falls outside of her influencer life and aligns more with her "academic" side. If she ever wants to apply to graduate school, this will look really good and not just as another "sponsorship." So she came up with a way that this wouldn't have to qualify as an AD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

View attachment 1726439
"I was not paid for the work I did with them & it was fully voluntary."

And yet even an initial disclaimer and two "clarifications", she still hasn't said "I paid for all tours and events involved and was not gifted anything of value during my time at the museum". It's an ad, Ruby.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
everyone who studies marketing and would get an intern for social media marketing and produce videos and tiktoks like that would get fired.
unbelievable how easy your life is with money.

Reactions: 17

If she got free tours and someone to film for her videos, wouldn't she have to disclose that as an incentive to post for the museum? On her tiktok, she says that she was "given" the opportunity. This is usually a paid experience, right? Anything you get for free has to be disclosed because your viewers are influenced into paying for a service/product.

Reactions: 20

If she got free tours and someone to film for her videos, wouldn't she have to disclose that as an incentive to post for the museum? On her tiktok, she says that she was "given" the opportunity. This is usually a paid experience, right? Anything you get for free has to be disclosed because your viewers are influenced into paying for a service/product.
She wouldn't have to declare someone at the museum filming her for use in a video, but she should absolutely be declaring any free tours, events or anything gifted to her by the museum.

Guided tours have a clear cash value and so does the bedroom writing session and she was given them for free. In the eyes of the ASA, that's a payment, and she's advertising it in exchange for that.

She can't even argue that she was allowed to take the writing experience as part of her questionable role as a volunteer working on the museum's social media. She was supposedly there to film for the museum TikTok/Instagram, yet she only posted about the writing session on her own channels.

If she'd limited all her posts about the museum to their own social media, then she might be able to defend all the free tit as being part of the job to show everything the museum has to offer. But she accepted freebies in exchange for advertising them on her own channel with its 700,000 followers to drive people toward the museum, which is no different than accepting a free laptop or free snack bars in exchange for advertising them. It also makes it even more clear that she only got this opportunity because of her platform and her follower count.

It's a blatant ad and she should be declaring exactly what she got for free, but she had a proven history of posting non-stop undeclared ads for gifted products and lying about it, so she'll do everything she can to avoid being honest.

More obviously drawn on freckles again in this video. Is there any reason that she does that ?
It's all part of her attempt to look like a precocious child, like Anne Shirley or Pippi Longstocking or some tit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
Pretty sure she bought her way in, either by donation or some underhanded way. Less respect for the Dickinson Museum for allowing this. Her life and abyss of lies gets sketchier by the minute. Instead of asking her for an explanation, viewers should ask the museum itself and get the facts straight. I would be curious too. I also wouldn't be surprised if she tried this with other places in Concord and received a no, thus no cozying up in Louisa May Alcott's room scribbling away...
I'm so tempted to email the museum and ask if they offer these opportunities to students and other regular (non-influencer) people. Lol.

Reactions: 24
She's so sly. The "wholesome" twee facade and pretending to be nothing but an earnest lover of literature and learning makes her constant dishonesty even worse. She's had repercussion after repercussion following her charity stunt and she's still pulling tricks and jumping through hoops instead of being honest and open about why she's there and how she was offered this opportunity. What a liar.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

View attachment 1726439
Ruby, get your story straight lmao.
If this isn't an ad (which I very much doubt it isn't) then according to her she just let her viewers bully her into declaring it as an ad when she wasn't supposed to. Like, grow a backbone maybe? Either stick to your version and ignore the "bullies", or admit that it was an ad and be candid.
By claiming it isn't an ad but you'll still mark it as such because people have been questioning it and you can't handle it, you're just coming across as a crybaby who can't take even the slightest amount of criticism and pressure without caving in immediately.

Reactions: 19
I'm wondering if all of this "not an ad" nonsense is down to her immigration status? I don't know much about this and I know someone mentioned it before, but she won't be able to work on a visitor visa (and the museum would presumably never sponsor her for a work visa), so she's emphasised it's voluntary. Except she is receiving something in return for her 'work', so it could be construed as employment. If she was to just openly declare it as an ad, that would publicly confirm that they have some kind of arrangement and she received something in return. Again, not an expert, but this seems shady to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
What. Does This. Even. Mean.
I assumed she made a mistake and originally meant that the room was luxuriously decorated. Her explanation now makes no sense since it seemed she was talking about the aesthetics of the room 🤷‍♀️

Also, at one point she said Dickinson's work has been digitalised. She means digitised as that is the term refers to documents being changed from paper into a digital image. The MLIS student in me immediately spotted that one, they are terms that easily confused though so I'm being picky in pointing it out.

Reactions: 13
Ruby clearly thinks that just by offering to volunteer, she's done something "SYO KOIND" that she deserves lots of things for free in return by showing what a nice girl she is! Pretending to be selfless isn't a sneaky way to get rewards of things you just don't want to pay for, Ruby. She has no idea what actual volunteering looks like.

Reactions: 10
I'm wondering if all of this "not an ad" nonsense is down to her immigration status? I don't know much about this and I know someone mentioned it before, but she won't be able to work on a visitor visa (and the museum would presumably never sponsor her for a work visa), so she's emphasised it's voluntary. Except she is receiving something in return for her 'work', so it could be construed as employment. If she was to just openly declare it as an ad, that would publicly confirm that they have some kind of arrangement and she received something in return. Again, not an expert, but this seems shady to me.
Well if that’s true, now she has put it as an AD she has fucked up and basically admitted she was doing paid work over there.
I wonder if there may be a rule though which allows certain work to be carried out over there regardless of visas, like for example I know in Spain they basically allow DJs to come and work for a certain period of time with no visa required (obviously bc there’s big music scenes in places like ibiza) and I don’t think it gets taxed either. I think there are other countries who have this sort of rule on very short term remote work as well, so maybe the US allows the same thing for like influencer work from visitors? idk

Reactions: 9
Well if that’s true, now she has put it as an AD she has fucked up and basically admitted she was doing paid work over there.
I wonder if there may be a rule though which allows certain work to be carried out over there regardless of visas, like for example I know in Spain they basically allow DJs to come and work for a certain period of time with no visa required (obviously bc there’s big music scenes in places like ibiza) and I don’t think it gets taxed either. I think there are other countries who have this sort of rule on very short term remote work as well, so maybe the US allows the same thing for like influencer work from visitors? idk
Yeah I thought about this too. The US embassy website seems to make it pretty clear though:

If you wish to work in the United States for a temporary period you will require a nonimmigrant work visa. It is not possible to work on a visitor or business visa, or under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).​
Unlike some countries, the United States government does not issue work visas for casual employment. In general, work visas are based on a specific offer of employment. In most cases, a petition must be filed and approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before applying for the visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.​
Edited to add: She doesn't appear to meet any of the criteria for a petition-based visa either.

Reactions: 3
I could be wrong, but I think you're allowed to do volunteer work on a standard visa as long as you're not being paid for your services (other than general expenses like a lunch allowance, etc.). As far as immigration are concerned, Ruby getting a free tour of the museum while volunteering there won't be considered payment, and I don't believe they'll have paid her in cash, just given her free tours and sessions.

It will be considered payment by the ASA/CAP though, since it's a service with a cash value that the museum offers for sale and Ruby has been gifted for the purposes of advertising it as an influencer.

The ASA/CAP rules are really clear:

"When a brand gives an influencer a payment, any posts then promoting or endorsing the brand or its products/services become subject to consumer protection law. Payment means any form of monetary payment; commission; a free loan of a product/ service; a free product/service (whether requested or received out of the blue); or any other incentive.

Obviously, if you’re paid a specified amount of money to create and/or post a particular piece of content, this counts as ‘payment’. But this isn’t the only type of arrangement that counts. If you have any sort of commercial relationship with the brand, such as being paid to be an ambassador, or you’re given products, gifts, services, trips, hotel stays etc. for free, this is all likely to qualify as ‘a payment [or other reciprocal arrangement]’. There’s nothing wrong with getting paid to create content, but you need to be upfront about this with your audience.
"

She got free services which she is advertising on her personal YouTube channel. It's a payment, which she is supposed to declare. She knows it. She even claims she checked the ASA rules when she uploaded. Why would you even check the ASA rules if you weren't gifted anything or paid in any way? After 7 years of being an influencer, she's very familiar with the rules. Anyone who remembers the On The Edge Conservation fiasco will probably remember that she just lies outright about ASA rules to try to cover her ass, or ignores them entirely because she thinks it endears her more to the brand and makes her endorsements more convincing. She's lying her ass off.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.