Ruby Granger #33 Goes on a boat, dresses like Captain Birdseye

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Again. I am not a Native Speaker. 90% of my time I don't know what she is talking about
I'm not a native speaker either so I'm usually hesitant to bring up grammar (because usually it's more likely that I make mistakes rather than a native speaker lol) but that sentence is just horrendous. It definitely sounds like a non-native speaker wrote it, and one who is not very good at English at that. Had I written something like that in an English exam it would have been marked down.
She either forgot how questions work in English, namely that you need to invert subject and verb when it's an independent clause, or she doesn't know how to use commas. And the position of the "and cucumbers" part sounds very unnatural too

Reactions: 10
"Tell me, how the rocks in this cove are similar and cucumbers?"

Tell me, how are cucumbers similar to the rocks in this cove?
Tell me how the rocks in this cove are similar to cucumbers.

I'm not a native speaker either so I'm usually hesitant to bring up grammar (because usually it's more likely that I make mistakes rather than a native speaker lol)
Your grammar's better than mine tbh. 😅😬

• Heart
Your grammar's better than mine tbh. 😅😬

Yeah. Mines too. I don't like to judge people on grammar or spelling. I do a lot of mistakes. But I am aware of it. And I think Ruby is not. And still thinks she is the new Emily.

And the whole trip was of course only for this interships. Wouldnt be surprised if we see another intern marked as holiday and I had a wonderful time.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
She's probably using this 'work' / 'internship' at the museum to put something on her CV that is related to her degree in order to give herself better chances when she applies for an MA.
I can totally see she went there as a tourist but works/volunteers/interns on that visa. Given that she hasn't travelled much, I'm not surprised if she's idiotically ignorant that it's not allowed.
It's impossible to be so ignorant when you have protective parents and American followers or online friends. I think some people told her about the risks, but she decided to ignore them because that's easier and she is used to getting away with stuff anyway.

Reactions: 2
She's probably using this 'work' / 'internship' at the museum to put something on her CV that is related to her degree in order to give herself better chances when she applies for an MA.
I can totally see she went there as a tourist but works/volunteers/interns on that visa. Given that she hasn't travelled much, I'm not surprised if she's idiotically ignorant that it's not allowed.
When she applies for the MA, she's going to make it sound more official for sure (internship, work) while she plays it down now for Youtube. She just adapts it to the audience.
I suppose it depends upon the course she is applying for, but if it's Literature, I don't see that this experience would really add anything to her application. Even if she's applying for something like Museum Studies or Archives, she would need better experience than walking around a museum and reciting poetry on their TikTok account. But maybe this is giving us a hint of her next steps. I hope if that's the case that she's ready for how competitive the sector is 🙃

But also, what a shame. She is living at home and earning a decent income for not doing very much, so could volunteer long-term at any local (or not even that local!) museum to get some substantial, practical experience - an opportunity that many, many people don't have.

Reactions: 12
Ruby never makes sense because she has no idea what she's trying to say - the whole rocks and cucumbers thing makes no sense. Cucumbers aren't "found in fragments" unless someone chops them. In what way are rocks "best enjoyed on warm afternoons"?

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I think that as long as she wasn't paid in cash, and the total estimated cash value of the freebies was below a certain amount, she'd be fine doing this "work" on a tourist visa. As for ad declarations, etc. I suspect the UK and Europe have much tighter regulations on influencers than the US does. I know even traditional media over here can play fast and loose with some of that stuff, so I'm sure it's the Wild West when it comes to influencer media. When I worked in magazine publishing, our advertisers expected editorial integrations that were not marked as advertisements. The editors had a right to refuse these requests if the advertiser's product or service was way off-brand or couldn't be worked into editorial content relatively seamlessly, but that didn't happen very often.

Of course, Ruby's business is based in the UK, so she's supposed to play by those rules. But at what point can an influencer just claim something is "editorial" content that she is creating because she believes it to be of interest to her audience, and not an advertisement for which she was compensated in some way? Again going back to the magazine comparison, editors have always been showered with free stuff, free meals, free trips. An editor for something like Conde Nast Traveler will almost certainly receive free accommodations wherever she stays, unless she's deliberately traveling incognito. If she stays for free at a resort and then writes an article about it, she doesn't have to disclose that her trip was free, and the article is not considered advertising.

It would be no different if an editor reaches out to a property first to explain why she wants to visit. In August, the New York Times ran an article on the re-opening of the Emily Dickinson Museum. I'm sure the editor (or freelance writer) of that piece received a free tour and VIP treatment, and probably also free accommodations at a local property. The NYT most likely also leveraged the article to try and sell ads. All the same, the article itself is not considered advertising. So in a sense, all influencers can call themselves "editors" whenever they like, and I think that may be how a lot of them get around having to declare when they receive things for free. What complicates Ruby's situation here is her claim that she was "working" with the museum on a social media campaign, but I suspect that's a lot of puffery on Ruby's part.

I'm so confused on this museum situation like why couldn't she have made it an ad for the museum so they get exposure and money. It just seems weird?

The whole Discloser and Influencer Discussion is a huge problem world wide. I think it should be clear that an Influencer should mark things ad Ad or speak open what they got gifted to stop any confussion or any discussion. And if an Influencer don't to that: Its shady.

Reactions: 3
Anyone else find both their recent stories/TikTok of "Outfits of the Day" and asking each other what coffee they ordered seem bizarre? They seemed very confused and awkward around each other, lacking conversation and just cringy overall. It is one thing to write letters to someone whom you have never met and quite another thing to meet them in person. Bella is still in college, Ruby is not. They have their own channels, thus competitors, regardless of how many one might have over the other, all of social media is competitive. They can't chat about people they know in common or incidents, because they have their own circles, or lack of in Ruby's case. I expected a more natural chat with them, but it seemed stifled and as though they really didn't know what to say to each other. They can spend hours and hours regaling themselves for having met, but in the end, it seemed forced and cool.

Bella comes across as more mature and genuine than Roobee in her content. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up not getting along as well as they thought they would.

Reactions: 8
The new tiktok they did together? Bella looks so lovely with her outfit but Ruby just looks a bit haggard. I wish this girl would cut her hair 😭 I was also watching the Paris vlog again and I don't know how she has the confidence to film without having brushed her hair first.

Reactions: 9
That Ruby and Bella TikTok is giving "my first uni group presentation" vibes. The way they're awkwardly looking at each other, waiting for their turn to say their rehearsed lines for something as simple as an outfit of the day video, it look so unnatural. I hope for their sake they loosened up around each other and had fun because that interaction looks beyond cringe.

Screenshot_20221113_204136_Chrome.jpg

Now that's the face of regret.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
She keeps ignoring questions asking her how she got the opportunity. If she really wanted to spread knowledge about Emily Dickinson, wouldn't it be better to share ways that people can do similar volunteer work for the museum or other museums? People studying English or marketing it could definitely benefit from learning how to contact and work with these places.

Reactions: 12
Now that's the face of regret.

Bella is definitely not impressed with Ruby is she. The fact that look so awkward around each other tells me that they are not comfortable within each others presence and that them meeting up has not gone in the way that they hoped for especially on Bella's part as she can't even smile in this picture either whereas Ruby is happy to have finally met her, I just hope that it was nerves on there part and that once they got talking they felt more comfortable and natural within each others presence.
1668377955654.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 3
She keeps ignoring questions asking her how she got the opportunity. If she really wanted to spread knowledge about Emily Dickinson, wouldn't it be better to share ways that people can do similar volunteer work for the museum or other museums? People studying English or marketing it could definitely benefit from learning how to contact and work with these places.
I think Ruby did showcase some of the other volunteers at the museum last week? I remember her introducing some sort of gardener? The museum has a page on their website asking people to email them with their background if they want to volunteer. I'm guessing Ruby did just this. By not mentioning that the museum seems to have a very liberal volunteering policy Ruby can make it seem like she was personally invited by the museum - which I'm guessing she was not. If she was, I'm sure she would have mentioned that.

It's pretty easy to become a volunteer in smaller museums. A lot of them are constantly looking for volunteers. The problem is that only the very wealthy or those with parental support (Like Ruby) can take on those roles. Other people have rent and bills to pay. And even entry level jobs in museums are terribly paid too - so working class people are often unable to access those jobs because mummy and daddy cant help with rent. Ruby is well aware of this, I'm sure. She just wants to avoid the topic.

In this specific case, I think its possible they asked her because of her following count, but it's probably more likely that she asked them and they agreed because of her follower count. Either way anyone her age without work experience in marketing would never be given a paid opportunity to develop a social media strategy for a museum. And 99% of people certainly couldn't jet off to another continent to spend 3 weeks helping them out for free.

Reactions: 8
Bella is definitely not impressed with Ruby is she. The fact that look so awkward around each other tells me that they are not comfortable within each others presence and that them meeting up has not gone in the way that they hoped for especially on Bella's part as she can't even smile in this picture either whereas Ruby is happy to have finally met her, I just hope that it was nerves on there part and that once they got talking they felt more comfortable and natural within each others presence.
View attachment 1728740
her hairline...

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.