Ruby Granger #33 Goes on a boat, dresses like Captain Birdseye

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am still genuinely really confused by this whole thing. It's not an AD, but would anyone else just get this access and welcoming by just emailing the museum and asking? Did they contact her or did she contact them? Who recorded her? Why is the museum allowing a YouTuber from England to come up with a social media strategy (for free) for a museum in the US for an American writer? Did she give them a donation?

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Is Ruby actually being serious in her latest video she said that she went out to get a coffee but didn't end up getting one because the time was 5:20 and in her opinion that is too late for a coffee.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Is Ruby actually being serious in her latest video she said that she went out to get a coffee but didn't end up getting one because the time was 5:20 and in her opinion that is too late for a coffee.
Does Ruby not realise that decaff coffee exists too, if it was caffeine she was concerned about?

Reactions: 7
Does Ruby not realise that decaff coffee exists too, if it was caffeine she was concerned about?
She said in the video that she was very tired every night that week and on the Friday after doing various bits of work at the Emily Dickinson Museum she came back to the B&B and said that she was exhausted.

Reactions: 1
Ruby Granger #33: I am an Englishman who is suddenly obsessed with Dickinson

Reactions: 4
Pretty sure she bought her way in, either by donation or some underhanded way. Less respect for the Dickinson Museum for allowing this. Her life and abyss of lies gets sketchier by the minute. Instead of asking her for an explanation, viewers should ask the museum itself and get the facts straight. I would be curious too. I also wouldn't be surprised if she tried this with other places in Concord and received a no, thus no cozying up in Louisa May Alcott's room scribbling away...

Reactions: 19
I have asked her on youtube and she answered. I quotet @berkeleymoon87 b/c English is not my first languages and I found the question perfekt. Hope it was ok

View attachment 1726124
Yeahh, she's lying.

Notice how, despite her passive-aggressive video description full of protesting, she still doesn't clearly say "I paid for all tours and museum experiences featured on this video and nothing was gifted".

Untitle7478989549898]d.png

(From the ASA website.)

Ruby, if you were gifted things in exchange for advertising them on social media, then it's an ad. The museum do not allow this kind of access to just anyone. You were given special treatment, free tours and a free $200 writing session in Emily's bedroom in exchange for showing off the museum to your hundreds of thousands of followers. It's an ad. The fact that you're refusing to clarify that shows just how aware of that you are. You know the rules, you just keep intentionally breaking them.

This is no different from every other undeclared ad for snack bars and "RAMMADEE KYOMBYOOCHAS" that you keep proclaiming are your favourite in almost every single video while refusing to mention that they were gifted products. They're ads. You know that. Protesting and gaslighting does not make that any less of a fact.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I still don't believe that a museum would allow an influencer to film and post so much content about them and even take over their socials without some sort of collaboration agreement in place, with or without compensation (other than the gifted tour and writing session and whatever else she did there).
She's making it sound like she just walked in like everyone else and was like "I love your museum so much, can one of you guys follow me around with a camera as I make content for my Youtube channel and use a service that you normally charge $200 for?" And they were like "Oh of course Ruby, you're such a kind special girl, here's the password to our Instagram account, you can borrow it for a week, please help us reach more studious, recluse bookworms like you out of the kindness of your heart".
Like, this isn't how the real world works lol. This is obviously a planned collab with the museum that imo was the whole reason why she went to Boston in the first place. She was tasked with creating content showcasing the museum for both her own and the museum's socials.

To me her explanation sounds like if someone went to work in an office everyday, sat at a desk and everything, but insisted that they're not an employee nor a trainee with some sort of contract, and they're just hanging out there because they're friends with the manager and want to help reduce their workload.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
More obviously drawn on freckles again in this video. Is there any reason that she does that ? Also I just get annoyed by her hair when it's loose as it's so scraggly, I just always feel the need to cut it at the moment.

I'm being picky but the scrunchie as a bracelet is annoying me so much. Is the audio sped up as I couldn't tell if she was just excited or that with how fast she was speaking.
I'm so confused by the video. It felt like an ad for the museum with the room tours and the mention of the social media accounts, but she's saying it's not. Did it feel like an add to anyone else?

Reactions: 9
So I'm not sure if there are any differences between the US & UK with ad declarations for influencers but I have seen other YTers / their agencies from the US be like "thank you (insert place here) for giving me this, this is not an ad but they sent me this so i can review it honestly bla bla bla" (mostly I see this with beauty YTers though)

Maybe the museum is going by US ad policies rather than UK ones? I know the FTC says you only have to disclose who she is working for in this (which she is doing) if she is in the US.

Though I would assume Ruby would have to still consider this as an ad declaration if she is getting taxed / income is under the UK etc though.

Reactions: 3
whatever the law is and whatever law you should use: you can't say it that its not an ad when you work for free for over a week with this museum together

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
whatever the law is and whatever the law you should use: you can't say it that its not an ad when you work for free for over a week with this museum together
I agree 100% I don't know why she is jumping through hoops but I have a feeling it's both Ruby & the museum being shady. Shadiness as in that it might have something to do w/ it being a nonprofit (Amherst College owns it) & Ruby declaring it as a "collab" rather than an "ad". Again, since she's technically collabing w/ Amherst it could be because the college isn't "hiring" her but using her as an "unpaid intern w/ a stipend" or a "volunteer" etc (but they're paying for her traveling, etc)

Attachments

Reactions: 9
I am disappointed. Ruby shady? All right. We knew that bevor. But a prestigious museum like this? With this reputation?

Reactions: 5
I am disappointed. Ruby shady? All right. We knew that bevor. But a prestigious museum like this? With this reputation?
Unfortunately, it's probably because US colleges (esp prestigious ones) are so money hungry & this is operated by the most money-hungry of them all (the board of trustees)

Reactions: 1
gosh. no christmas presents for me. i was naughty and turned her wonderful space into a negative space

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Speaking of desperate denial, protest and lies, she starts the video with the Ruby classic cliché: "HONNASTLY, this HAS been a point of pilgrimage for me!"

Remember, kids: If Ruby says "HONNASTLY", "JANNUINELY", "OIY PROMMASE YOO" or "OIY'M NYOT LOIYING WHAN OIY SAY...", then you can bet your bottom dollar that she's lying her ass off. She doesn't love AMMILY DICKINSUN any more than she loves literature in general.

Has she ever once mentioned why she supposedly loves AMMILY DICKINSUN, what she loves about her writing, or talked about her work in anything other than the most superficial, aesthetic "HAHHR HANDWROTING HAD LYOTS OF DASHES!" sense? Hmm.

But it must be nice to be able to waste £4,000+ on yet another dull, pointless holiday centred around your fake interests.

This whole video is yet another parade of stupidity, incompetence, privilege and staged lies.

Untitle79898]d.png

Self-proclaimed gifted child, life-long learner and pursuer of wisdom Ruby still can't figure out how capital letters work and just tries them a new way in every video title.

She also still can't figure out how 95% of the English language works. Apparently "vlog" = "flog", "young" = "yonng", "Tuesday" = "CHEESEday", "project" = "PRODJACKT", "world" = "WHARHLDD", "direction" = "darrackshun", "desk" = "DASK", "guest" = "GHAST", "best" = "burst", "Ralph Waldo Emerson" = "RALFWHORLDYO Ammersun", "Austin" = "Arse-tin", "Mabel Loomis Todd" = "MAYBOORLYUMISS TARD", "niece" = "KNEES", "epicentre" = "AH-pee-santa" and "bureau" = "bwurrow".

She's trying harder than ever to sound intelligent and cultured with her faker-than-fake Emma Watson accent, but everything she says is hilariously stupid, if not entirely nonsensical, full of incoherence, malapropisms (she describes a room as "lucratively decorated" and says "digitalised" instead of "digitised") and redundancies ("cohrrently this area is clyosed at the myoment". Always a great start for a video intended to professionally advertise something.

Once again, Ruby visits somewhere interesting but makes it look as dull as dishwater and refuses to let any of the professional experts speak on camera because Ruby's narcissistic ego won't ever let her show someone else knowing more than her.

When getting a tour of the grounds by someone whose job it is to know all about the place, Ruby mutes the audio and just parrots everything the experts told her in narration, just like she did on the BARD 'N' BLAND tour, to make it sound like Ruby's the imparter of knowledge.

Ruby also made sure to set up the camera and wildly and dramatically wave her hands about when talking to the tour guide (who, judging by the body language, already appears absolutely done with Ruby's tit after knowing her for 5 minutes), attempting to give the visual impression that Ruby was the one giving the tour.

After that, Ruby just straight-up takes over and starts giving the tour herself for some reason.

She gets the poor museum professional to hold the camera while she slowly and awkwardly lumbers around around like a dead-eyed, soulless robot, giving her usual, unconvincing 'stare at everything in fake wonder' performance.

f60c9cbabe813c95e3c5b7099c72984df65f35e0&rid=giphy.gif

b55d5be5a712190ce3b2e6d95d1dbc9ff15c1b39&rid=giphy.gif

13222561ad605ead15a020e8f8c9f5d5fd68d263&rid=giphy.gif

This is, Ruby claims, the place she's wanted to visit since she was 12. A "place of pilgrimage". And yet she can't even muster a moment's genuine enthusiasm or interest. She's just joylessly and robotically pacing around like a merciless Terminator programmed to hunt down charity money to keep for herself.

4d18c6fc37b6bc0f4a0e1035fe388f2399b01d05&rid=giphy.gif

Yes, this is definitely how normal human beings look at things that interest them...

While she's in the library, she engages in one of her favourite pastimes: Reaching for things on high shelves to appear more childlike.

Untitle74549898]d.png

image (1) copy.png

Inbetween bouts of stalking around like Frankenstein's monster and pretending to be a child, she starts reciting factoids about the house with her usual charisma-free, obnoxious "OIY'M GIVING A VARRY ADJOOKAYSHANUL PRESANTAYSHON" tone and the same overdramatic limb-flailing as before.

91baecab5ef7809a209b64de82c5d691bb0e4072&rid=giphy.gif

Ruby sets the record straight about AMMILY DICKINSUN: "We have this image of HAAHR beingg a socklyooded poet ONYLEE in hahr ryoom," Ruby says, "BOHT!" she also left her room and interacted with other people or eavesdropped on conversations! "She KNEW what was going on!"

"It feels like thaahr's a prassance - thahrr are ghyosts hyahhr."

Yes, Ruby, the ghost of Emily Dickinson is there and she would love for you to get the duck out of her house.

Ruby agitatedly moans that there were many workers and kitchen staff who worked at the Dickinson house and so many stories that people neglect to tell - it's impworetant that we tal these stwories! And then Ruby cuts to a new day without telling any of those stories.

It's shoddily and lazily tossed together in the same way all Ruby's videos are. The audio's as awful as ever, narration is chopped and clipped terribly, cut too early or running into the next sentence. Middle sections of sentences are awkwardly cut, leaving abrupt and sloppy jump-cuts. Source audio is terrible - Ruby could waste £4,000 on a one big performative trip devoted to her fake bookworm persona, but she couldn't spend £50 on a lavalier mic or a few quid on a windscreen even though filmmaking is her primary source of income.

Half the audio is echoey as duck or drowned out by wind and ambient background noise, the rest is full of Ruby's usual incompetence and incoherent, sped-up, fake accent. Huge sections of footage are recycled from her last video.

Ruby often complains about suffering from perfectionism, but that lie is never more hilarious than when every single video is full of lazy ineptitude of staggering proportions.

Untitle7478989549980980898]d.jpg

All the usual, transparent lies rear their heads. Ruby shoehorns in an ad for the PONKY PLODDITY PLANNAH and includes a note that "as per usual", she used this to plan her day. Only she clearly never uses it. It looks pristine and unused, and the previous day is conspicuously blank, despite being her first full day in Amherst and apparently full of events and activities to plan. She just needed to pretend she uses this cheap and crappy waste of money because she's got another one coming out in a few weeks and is back on the grift.

It's presented as a weekly vlog but it's exclusively an ad for the museum. As an introduction to Emily Dickinson, it's useless; Ruby doesn't even say who the duck Emily is for the unfamiliar. And even if you know who Emily is, you might not know about her family or her life. Ruby introduces none of it, and just starts talking about "SYUE", "LAVINIAHHHR", "ADDWAHD'S DASK", and so on. She describes Mabel Loomis Todd as "a controvarrshal figure" and says nothing more. Who is this video for? If you know nothing about Emily Dickinson, it tells you nothing. If you know anything about Emily Dickinson, you already know more than Ruby.

As an ad for the museum, it's just as bad. She makes it look incredibly dull, does a terrible job at showcasing the buildings and features. Ruby says certain things are closed, but doesn't mention when visitors will be able to see them reopen. She again brags that she had a session writing in Emily's bedroom but doesn't specify that general visitors can do this, too, if they pay $200 (undoubtedly because it'd make it clear that Ruby got a $200 session, among other things, as a gift in exchange for advertising the museum).

As a vlog depicting a week in Ruby's life, it's just as worthless because it's full of all the same lies, omissions and her "...AND THAN OIY..." off-screen, fabricated accomplishments - she did hours and hours of tireless work, meticulous editing and wrote books and journaled, etc.. She claims she spent her whole week working with/for the museum, but there's no real evidence of any actual work. She certainly didn't do the same work expected of other volunteers - gardening, weeding, manual labour, setting up arts and crafts, or preparing for visitors and tours.

Untitle74789567560898]d.jpg

She says she was there to plan and implement a social media strategy, but she seems to have done nothing beyond suggest that the museum create a TikTok account. Y'know, painfully obvious advice that any business or public-facing place would already be aware of. She also claims to have filmed and edited 2 months of videos for TikTok to be uploaded, but is seems like the rest of the staff did almost all the filming and presenting themselves.

What did Ruby actually do, besides just get free VIP tours and vlog them for her own channel, then guest-post a couple of half-assed posts full of errors on the museum's social media? Edited a few of the museum's incredibly short TikToks for them, with her own amateurish brand of incompetence?

What qualifications or experience does Ruby have to be given this opportunity? She can't convince 300 of her followers to buy a washi tape from her, she's had to buy her way to success on TikTok, and the technical quality of her videos are universally terrible. No other volunteer would've been allowed to do this, especially with this damning body of shoddy work. Ruby has zero talent or ability, but she has a lot of followers. It seems painfully clear that this was an ad opportunity like any other.

Ruby no doubt reached out to the museum, leveraged her follower count and said "Hey, let me come tour everything and I can film it for my 700,000 followers! I can post on your social media too and boost your following!" and has spun this advertisement collab as volunteer work without clarifying what she got for free.

This is a weekly vlog, apparently, so I don't know why you'd avoid showing the most interesting parts of that week where she interacted with other human beings, did interesting things and accomplished impressive stuff, unless (like with Ruby never showing what she does with PONKIN' PODTIVTEA because she has no involvement with the company) you were conspicuously avoiding showing any work because none happened and you were just an influencer guest exclusively granted access there to advertise things.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.