Ruby Granger #32 Butter Booty from Burden Blend

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah I mean where I live, over 50% of 25-29 year olds are still living with their parents and a quarter of 30-35 year olds still live with them. It’s really only in the UK and USA where it’s culturally acceptable to shove your kid out age 18. I’d say in the UK this is more of a middle class attitude as well tbh, British working class families are more likely to have young people still living at home well into their late 20s.
In many places as well until very recently there wasn't really a culture of living on your own or with a partner or friends before marriage. My mother and my boyfriend's mother both got married when they were around 26-27 (in the mid to late 90's) and they lived with their parents until then, and the same for my father.
Even if you moved away for uni like my mother did it was sort of common to then move back to your hometown to live with your family and find a job there, unless you were pursuing a more ambitious or unconventional career path.

Reactions: 6
All this talk about a new book + meetings with her literary angent… could it be that they’ve told her Dolly Lottie Parton is a non-starter and she needs to go back to the drawing board?

In that surreally out-of-touch graduate morning routine video, she spoke about her meeting with the Lit agent being “so so valuable and so so useful” (side note: repeating the word ‘so’ for emphasis is something I would ask my year 5 students to “upskill” in their writing!)

Neither of those adjectives suggest that a book deal is imminent, as it implies that the onus is on Ruby to do something (her words are ‘of use’ to our budding author).

Ps: extract from Cambridge dictionary:
Literary agent -noun
A person whose job is to help writers sell their books to companies, so that they can be published - ‘A literary agent takes care of all my book deals.’

I’ve added the bold emphasis to the key word - not write, or edit. SELL.

Reactions: 11
All this talk about a new book + meetings with her literary angent… could it be that they’ve told her Dolly Lottie Parton is a non-starter and she needs to go back to the drawing board?

In that surreally out-of-touch graduate morning routine video, she spoke about her meeting with the Lit agent being “so so valuable and so so useful” (side note: repeating the word ‘so’ for emphasis is something I would ask my year 5 students to “upskill” in their writing!)

Neither of those adjectives suggest that a book deal is imminent, as it implies that the onus is on Ruby to do something (her words are ‘of use’ to our budding author).

Ps: extract from Cambridge dictionary:
Literary agent -noun
A person whose job is to help writers sell their books to companies, so that they can be published - ‘A literary agent takes care of all my book deals.’

I’ve added the bold emphasis to the key word - not write, or edit. SELL.
Her literary agent is either a colossal moron or must've spend every single day kicking herself black and blue over the momentary lapse in sanity that caused her to sign Ruby.

She was seemingly picturing an easy, quick sale to publishers based on Ruby's influencer following alone. Instead she signed herself up to work unpaid as Ruby's sounding board for every bit of inane, nonsensical, plagiarised drivel that she craps out, with no hope of ever selling anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I used to be so much like Ruby, Covid definitely reinforced some of my bad habits. But I got therapy, and I've just got back from a solo overnight trip to London (not huge, but still.). Flying to the USA as her first EVER solo trip experience, is a disaster waiting to happen. By all accounts, she doesn't even go on solo day trips. There's jumping in at the deep end, and there's setting yourself up for failure. I know a lot of people have said she probably won't go alone, but I worry for her if she does actually make it onto the plane

Reactions: 21
I am a bit concerned for her in America especially if it is her first trip alone, especially if there is a problem, she is a good distance from her family and there is the time zone as well and it is going to be a big difference to her small trips where her parents are usually with her. I do worry that she is going to be seen as a bit of a target by the people who pry on tourists and she is going to be vulnerable, especially with it being her own trip alone. It would have been better if her trip to Scotland was her solo one. I could be projecting my own feelings on the matter as I was nervous as anything when I went to London for the first time and as much as I like it, I feel uneasy when I'm there. Plus, I doubt that she is the most street smart, especially as she does things like leave her camera out and walk away from it to film herself twirling, it's just asking to be pinched.

I'm expecting to see an appearance of her family on the trip.

Reactions: 13
"I was gyowing tyoo bee leaving moiy paahrents and gyowing on moiy trip tyoo Amarricka alyone straight after moiy trip tyo Greece with moiy family, but thaahr was a mix-opp with thee planes and instahd of mum and dad's plane gyowing from Greece tyoo Heathrow, the poiylot accidantally flyew to Amarrickuh instadd! 🙈 Syo they wahhr alsyo in Amahricahhr complyetely boiy accidant! Haha!

I was varry moch locking fworewahhrd tyo a syolo trip, and yat since we'd all arroiyved in the Unoiyted Styates saparattely tyogather, we thought we'd myake the myost of the situation and just spand the holiday tyoogather all tyogather as a family!

P.S. Oiy JANUINELY would've loiyked for moiy wonnderfohl sister Marsha to have joined us, boht moiy invite latter tyoo hahhr mohst have been lost in the pyost. Parhaps naxt toiyme!"

• Haha
Reactions: 34
In many places as well until very recently there wasn't really a culture of living on your own or with a partner or friends before marriage. My mother and my boyfriend's mother both got married when they were around 26-27 (in the mid to late 90's) and they lived with their parents until then, and the same for my father.
Even if you moved away for uni like my mother did it was sort of common to then move back to your hometown to live with your family and find a job there, unless you were pursuing a more ambitious or unconventional career path.
There wasn't, but it used to be a lot easier to afford things and pay bills.
Now the cost of everything has gone up, higher paying jobs out of uni are more scarce. Ruby makes decent income from scamming people and stealing charity money, she could move out on her own if she really wanted to. She's on a gap year after graduating, which is a luxury most people don't have.
I used to be so much like Ruby, Covid definitely reinforced some of my bad habits. But I got therapy, and I've just got back from a solo overnight trip to London (not huge, but still.). Flying to the USA as her first EVER solo trip experience, is a disaster waiting to happen. By all accounts, she doesn't even go on solo day trips. There's jumping in at the deep end, and there's setting yourself up for failure. I know a lot of people have said she probably won't go alone, but I worry for her if she does actually make it onto the plane
I very much it will be solo, the woman can barely be away from her parents when she's three hours away from them, let alone halfway across the world. I can't picture her on a plane on her own, in a country she's never been.

Reactions: 4
I don’t have a problem with Ruby living at home as such because fair enough, not many young people can afford to live in their own place. But theres a massive difference between living at home independently as a young adult, and doing what Ruby’s doing which is still living at home as a child. Maybe it’s her parents, perhaps she is paying rent (although I doubt it), and perhaps she is taking on some of the responsibility of running the house (although again, I doubt it - as a adult you take on some responsibility for cleaning the house, not just your own room …) She‘s living the kind of version of adulthood that you imagined you’d have when you were about twelve - where you’d imagine yourself with the big house, being able to go on endless shopping trips and holidays and do what you want with plenty of money without any interference from the humdrum of real-life. I’m sure it‘s all wildly attractive to her tweeny audience but it’s all very odd.

Reactions: 22
If she was solo travelling she could easily pay for her sister and her or a friend to go somewhere in Europe by themselves but America...I don't think she will be alone, maybe with her management lot.

Also, it's ridiculously hard to get a literary agent which is why so many people self publish on kindle first (correct me if I'm wrong hahaha) so I truly believe her management are doing everything in their power to make her stay relevant and appeal to her target audience.

Reactions: 5
If she was solo travelling she could easily pay for her sister and her or a friend to go somewhere in Europe by themselves but America...I don't think she will be alone, maybe with her management lot.

Also, it's ridiculously hard to get a literary agent which is why so many people self publish on kindle first (correct me if I'm wrong hahaha) so I truly believe her management are doing everything in their power to make her stay relevant and appeal to her target audience.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the meetings with her agent. I think what's going to happen (and I'd love to be wrong but this seems common for a lot of influencers who "write" books) is that her management is just going to hire a ghostwriter to make it more palatable to her target audience. Ruby might meet with them a few times to discuss the basics of what she wants the plot to be and throw out ideas, but she's not going to be the one really doing the brunt of the writing. The difference this time is she isn't self-publishing and I can't imagine they're not aware of Erimenthawful turned out. No amount of youtube popularity can turn a poor book into a good one.

Reactions: 15
Almost certainly. I have a degree in creative writing which is no guarantee of anything and if I'm able to sign with an agent after finishing my master's program (or during), I'm anticipating that I won't be able to sell my first novel, at least not without radical changes. It seems like Ruby tried to model this Lottie Parton book after trends in the YA market, if I had to guess I'd say it's probably a sloppy manuscript with no hint of character or story. It likely screams 'amateur'. Nothing wrong with that but it's not going to get you traditionally published. She needs to put in more work to hone her craft. It sort of seems like she prefers poetry, anyway. I'm sure that would actually be an easier sell, a book of flowery prose poems by Ruby Granger. If I were her agent I might raise that as a potential direction.

Reactions: 9
To be fair to Ruby at least she’s confident enough to be different. I hate all that love island nonsense and it really dumbs down society, at least she prioritises learning, dressing smartly etc and makes me feel inspired :)
1664643760181.png
haha she didn't like this one :)
1664643795880.png
aw nice reply to this one :)

• Haha
Reactions: 12
1664643976940.png
haha this came up in my thumbnails- I thought it was Ruby for a sec, does look a little like her! :)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I'm waiting for her to make Classics/Ancient Greece her new personality.

When she went to Italy she read Call Me By Your Name. Now she's reading The Secret History in Greece (which is ironic because those characters & plot shouldn't be romanticized. Tartt wrote it specifically to bring attention to the elitism and general problems within academia.)

Now she's going to "study" Homer and Greek mythology and claim she's an expert.
I will gatekeep classics from her and if I need to slap her about from both sides with a copy of The Iliad and The Odyssey in each hand, I will do it. Sod off with your performative "research".

Tired of her fake interests. There is nothing wrong with not being into something. Nobody has to tick all the boxes of "How To Be Well-Read 101". She needs to stop using academia or literature to make up for her lack of personality and she needs to stop lying about books she doesn't read or subjects she doesn't like. She makes me unreasonably angry. bleeping go clean your room and stop pretending to read just so you can make your underage viewers think you're smart. Ridiculous girl.

Reactions: 18
I wish that more studytubers were honest about post-graduation depression, the inability to find a well-paying job and move out, the toxic world of academia and how success is not always determined by getting good grades. I've been going through a lot of that since I graduated last year and missed out on the last two years of university bc of the pandemic. I've felt lost and I did regress a lot as well. I'm broke because I keep applying to jobs and no one calls me back. Even a Target warehouse denied me recently lmao.

But I have recently decided to pursue a law degree and set aside my PhD in Anthropology dreams. There was a time when I wanted to be a writer as well. As I've grown older, I've realized that it's OKAY to change your original goals and that there will be so many setbacks along the way.

The thing about YouTubers is that they're just trying to sell you something. A lot of them don't want to admit that their motivation behind creating content is making money. I wish Ruby was honest about her version of "unemployment" and post-graduation life is so unrealistic for most young people. She can go months without working bc of sponsorships and her family's support. Her fans see her do silly little tasks and find it inspiring, but it's not REAL. Like of course you're gonna have time to write a bunch of nonsense and read whatever ("read").

• Heart
Reactions: 28
(First time posting images so hopefully I’ve done it right)
97751A12-47F9-47E1-B4E7-82EA8FC48281.jpeg
0CE3CC7C-9F04-482A-8552-CAED29CCD57E.jpeg

I don’t know why I found it so funny that the first photo in Ruby’s Greece photo dump was actually her in Paris. Could be a genuine mistake but, when I checked the vlog, the day the photo was taken was her birthday, so you’d think she’d realise she’s posting photos from different holidays and claiming them as the same one. Either way it made me laugh that’s she’s been on so many of the same style holidays with her family she’s getting them mixed up.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 47
I haven't caught up with this thread yet, so apologies if this has been posted.

*I don't think needs a spoiler because it's just a picture of some food & there's no overt ED content. Correct me if that's wrong though.*

Anyway, I love how she writes 'Greek cuisine is one of my favourites' but then shows a photo of gross-looking leftovers (I'm sure it looked fine before she ate it lol).

1664663644999.png

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.