Ruby Granger #25 Leaving all the books unread, chasing sponsorships instead

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ruby says she's reading something by "List Anley", who may or may not be a pseudonym for Liz Stanley.

Ruby announces that this person, whatever their actual name may be, is her "FAVOURITE ACADEMIC". Because Ruby's so entrenched in academia that she has to tier-rank her favourite academics, apparently, and she definitely not just trying to butter up a potential Masters supervisor for the future.

This "Lisstahhnlie" won't be too happy she's described as an "eppiss-tollury theorist", though, considering she's an uh-pistol-airy theorist, and generally academics probably aren't too impressed by faux gifted mush-minded fuckwits who can't pronounce anything right.
I researched "Lisstahhnlie" and I definitely believe that Roo-roo-bos is lying when she says names her as her favourite researcher.

Screenshot_20220327_213153.jpg

She's Scottish. Very international, Ruby. Jade should take notes.
Screenshot_20220327_213212.jpg

Feminism, not Ruby! And, shocking! South Africa?! One of the colonies. How very primitive. Ruby would never even think about something so dirty. And inequality. What's that, Ruby thought.
Screenshot_20220327_213229.jpg

Again, Africa. Who wants do do anything with Africa?! Not Ruby.
Screenshot_20220327_213249.jpg

Sorry, @gossip_guy, I don't believe Ruby is brown nosing to old Lizzy to have her be Roob's master thesis supervisor, because it would force Roob to be in contact with people from the colony and she would need to go to dark Africa.

She can't even pronounce "Rooibos", very South African, how will she survive there.

Ruby does not understand the word "coloniality" and "decolonization". She would never willingly write about it.

Screenshot_20220327_213307.jpg

White Africans? How does that happen, Ruby does not understand
Screenshot_20220327_213434.jpg

Screenshot_20220327_213509.jpg

British concentration camps targeting women and children. Setting farms, houses and livestock on fire. No. That neveeer happened! Ruby's perfect Victorians are saints! They can do no wrong.

Screenshot_20220327_213528.jpg

This is a lie: almost 30 000 women and children DID NOT die due to the British invasion. And the British DID NOT target the women and children to force the men to surrender. Ruby is aghast at this misinformation.

Screenshot_20220327_213551.jpg

This is fake! The British did not commit a genocide! We know how diligently Ruby researches.

The Victorians are perfect! Look at Ruby. She is the perfect Victorian child.

Please note: I'm actually South African, and have come across prof. Stanley's research. It's really interesting. Ruby has no idea of anything that happens outside her childhood bedroom window. It's laughable if it weren't so sad.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
The fact that she acknowledges that there are other intelligent people in existence who aren't teachers or herself is the most growth we can expect from Ruby as a writer, and even then it was probably her agent who suggested it.
I'm not sure if it's that much growth. It reminded me of the prologue (the part you can get for free if you're a glutton for punishment) where Erimentha is obsessing over the fact that other girls might have studied more than her in the summer.

“Really, Erimentha, you’re the most hard-working eleven-year-old I know," Mum says. “I am positive that you’ve got no reason to be worried about your academics”. I look down at my spinach and broccoli pasta, feeling marginally better. Now that I think about it, Eleanor, despite being older, did nowhere near as much work as I did this summer. The other girls in my class might very well have done more than me, but I suppose I’ll just have to work extra hard if that’s the case.
The only "growth" might be that Lottie/Erimentha/Ruby apparently realizes she is a "Bad Friend" as per the title...which would be growth indeed! Which is something I suggested on an earlier thread - I said the only way Erimentha could be salvaged to be made half-decent (aside from crossing out half the descriptives) would be if Ruby changed the plot to give Erimentha growth and make her realize how wrongly she herself had behaved to others, a little like Emma. Then Jane-Austen-hating Ruby put reading Emma as one of her goals. I am hoping that is just a coincidence. No doubt I'm reading too much into the title, because it's not likely that Ruby could manage to give her self-insert character a real, genuine flaw.

Reactions: 14
Exactly...You would think in the writing courses she's taken and 3 years of being an English Literature student she would learn to be a little more original. Looks like Lottie is another 'smart', perfectionist character. Unnecessary descriptions of hairstyles, scaly hands. This looks to be Erimentha 2.0 with a little slice of murder mystery. To be fair it is her first draft and she's busy with her 20,000 word disastertation that should really be 10,000, but still.

Reactions: 19
I'm not sure if it's that much growth. It reminded me of the prologue (the part you can get for free if you're a glutton for punishment) where Erimentha is obsessing over the fact that other girls might have studied more than her in the summer.

The only "growth" might be that Lottie/Erimentha/Ruby apparently realizes she is a "Bad Friend" as per the title...which would be growth indeed! Which is something I suggested on an earlier thread - I said the only way Erimentha could be salvaged to be made half-decent (aside from crossing out half the descriptives) would be if Ruby changed the plot to give Erimentha growth and make her realize how wrongly she herself had behaved to others, a little like Emma. Then Jane-Austen-hating Ruby put reading Emma as one of her goals. I am hoping that is just a coincidence. No doubt I'm reading too much into the title, because it's not likely that Ruby could manage to give her self-insert character a real, genuine flaw.
I'm totally expecting the "Bad Friend" title to be misleading and Lottie's missing friend will actually have disappeared herself for attention, and after a whole book of beating herself up, Lottie will realise that nothing was her fault and she's JANuinely an amazing friend to all.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I'm totally expecting the "Bad Friend" title to be misleading and Lottie's missing friend will actually have disappeared herself for attention, and after a whole book of beating herself up, Lottie will realise that nothing was her fault and she's JANuinely an amazing friend to all.
My thoughts exactly. The Ruby, sorry, Lottie character will not be the bad friend, but the maligned, misunderstood heroine. And everyone else will quite right realise how horrible they’ve been to Ruby, sorry, Lottie and will feel suitably guilty. The end.

Reactions: 16
I researched "Lisstahhnlie" and I definitely believe that Roo-roo-bos is lying when she says names her as her favourite researcher.

View attachment 1154814
She's Scottish. Very international, Ruby. Jade should take notes.
View attachment 1154816
Feminism, not Ruby! And, shocking! South Africa?! One of the colonies. How very primitive. Ruby would never even think about something so dirty. And inequality. What's that, Ruby thought.
View attachment 1154821
Again, Africa. Who wants do do anything with Africa?! Not Ruby.
View attachment 1154825
Sorry, @gossip_guy, I don't believe Ruby is brown nosing to old Lizzy to have her be Roob's master thesis supervisor, because it would force Roob to be in contact with people from the colony and she would need to go to dark Africa.

She can't even pronounce "Rooibos", very South African, how will she survive there.

Ruby does not understand the word "coloniality" and "decolonization". She would never willingly write about it.

View attachment 1154831
White Africans? How does that happen, Ruby does not understand
View attachment 1154847

View attachment 1154852
British concentration camps targeting women and children. Setting farms, houses and livestock on fire. No. That neveeer happened! Ruby's perfect Victorians are saints! They can do no wrong.

View attachment 1154854
This is a lie: almost 30 000 women and children DID NOT die due to the British invasion. And the British DID NOT target the women and children to force the men to surrender. Ruby is aghast at this misinformation.

View attachment 1154863
This is fake! The British did not commit a genocide! We know how diligently Ruby researches.

The Victorians are perfect! Look at Ruby. She is the perfect Victorian child.

Please note: I'm actually South African, and have come across prof. Stanley's research. It's really interesting. Ruby has no idea of anything that happens outside her childhood bedroom window. It's laughable if it weren't so sad.
But... her candle literally (and very assthetically) says "Colony-Made in England." How can you doubt her sincere interest in the issue??

1648421015384.png

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Not that anyone's noticed, but I've been MIA since Thursday/Friday and decided to check on Ruby's videos. Saw the video she posted today... Her legs are so scrawny her shoes look huge. I agree with what someone said here, that her and Blakeney probably 'compete' with each other, kinda like those twins who had ED's, to see who can eat the least amount and lose the most amount of weight in x amount of days/weeks/months. It's a shame. By 2023 will have a British Eugenia Cooney on Youtube.

Attachments

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Not that anyone's noticed, but I've been MIA since Thursday/Friday and decided to check on Ruby's videos. Saw the video she posted today... Her legs are so scrawny her shoes look huge. I agree with what someone said here, that her and Blakeney probably 'compete' with each other, kinda like those twins who had ED's, to see who can eat the least amount and lose the most amount of weight in x amount of days/weeks/months. It's a shame. By 2023 will have a British Eugenia Cooney on Youtube.
I think her legs look more than normal? Mine are skinnier, and I like wearing "big" booted shoes too. And I definitely don't have an ED.

Reactions: 12
Ruby acting like her titles are in any way indicative of the complete horseshit she fills her videos with.

I mean, if that were true, her "daily routine" videos wouldn't contain the events of several weeks combined. We also wouldn't be subjected to numerous undeclared ads that weren't mentioned in the title.

I only watched a few minutes of this video, and the "day" it depicted was full of the most ridiculously tiny servings of food and meals that Ruby claimed to eat off-screen that absolutely never happened.

All or nothing, Ruby. Either show everything you eat, or avoid showing food altogether. Showing tiny servings as though your dangerously small, nutritionally stunted meals are aspirational for your viewers while cramming undeclared snack bar ads, recommending they drink all the water and no food and never attempting to encourage healthy eating is reprehensible bullshit.

Reactions: 11
No need to fret about her seemingly dangerously low food intake, Ruby gets all of her nutrition by photosynthesizing it from Youtube videos. See these three on her Youtube Home Page!
8EE2CA49-13FB-4740-8E53-970E535CA97B.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
”If I give three different answers to the same question, no one can say I’m lying!”

DBDD5870-A9D1-40B4-9234-CF7B4B09C393.jpeg

B26B6576-2103-48BE-A033-C421B9A81816.jpeg

9499DE92-E25F-4657-AA01-B3872D25CE79.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
This is probably going to be a mega unpopular opinion but I must admit, I’ve gotta disagree on this one. Regardless of ED (and yes before anyone boots off, you can have an ED at any size and weight is not always an indicator of recovery etc etc that’s not the point I’m going to make) weight wise I really don’t think she looks particularly unhealthy here at all, if I’m honest I’m probably slimmer than her and am a perfectly healthy weight for my age and height. There was a time where Ruby did lose a dangerous amount of weight about a year / 6 months ago, but since then she hasn’t really continued, despite still posting her horrible meals.. idk

Reactions: 13
This is probably going to be a mega unpopular opinion but I must admit, I’ve gotta disagree on this one. Regardless of ED (and yes before anyone boots off, you can have an ED at any size and weight is not always an indicator of recovery etc etc that’s not the point I’m going to make) weight wise I really don’t think she looks particularly unhealthy here at all, if I’m honest I’m probably slimmer than her and am a perfectly healthy weight for my age and height. There was a time where Ruby did lose a dangerous amount of weight about a year / 6 months ago, but since then she hasn’t really continued, despite still posting her horrible meals.. idk
I honestly think she’s just looking for attention at this point. People have pointed out time and time again how triggering her pr0-ana content is, and she keeps posting this bs, particularly if her comments go a few days without anybody talking about her weight.

Reactions: 18
I think regardless of Ruby's actions it's not really fair to comment on Blakeney and speculate that she has an ED. Don't know if it's just me but it feels icky to comment on anyone's body, let alone someone who hasn't chosen to be in the public eye.

Reactions: 32
I don't recall me ever commenting on ED here because I honestly know nothing of it (and take my words with a grain of salt, having that in consideration), but I honestly don't think that Ruby is as much of a showcase of ED as sometimes it is made to believe here. Now, that's not to say that she's healthy, she's absolutely not. I just don't think that her relationship with food is a problem in it of itself but it is much more a symptom of something else. One can only imagine what that might be, and no one's going to be able to type out a clinical diagnostic here, but my two cents are that she suffers from anxiety and similar issues to that of OCD. Either that or she really is just healthy but a dumb "academic". Nah scratch that, they're not mutually exclusive. Or she might just as well have an ED.

This is a ramble and I'm just trying to add a bit of thought into the discussion, I'm by no means reaching new conclusions

Reactions: 9
This is probably going to be a mega unpopular opinion but I must admit, I’ve gotta disagree on this one. Regardless of ED weight wise I really don’t think she looks particularly unhealthy here at all, if I’m honest I’m probably slimmer than her and am a perfectly healthy weight for my age and height.
True but you've got to remember that everyone has a different "natural weight." Some people are naturally very, very thin while others naturally carry more weight and are a bit softer. I mean compare the Kardashians to someone like Cara Delevingne — both (seem) healthy but they have very different body types. People are saying that Ruby's weight at the minute is unhealthy for HER body, not for anybody else's. And even if she's not underweight, I think that any weight that requires a person to eat the way she does to maintain is unhealthy. No hate against you of course! xx

I just don't think that her relationship with food is a problem in it of itself but it is much more a symptom of something else. One can only imagine what that might be, and no one's going to be able to type out a clinical diagnostic here, but my two cents are that she suffers from anxiety and similar issues to that of OCD.
OCD, anxiety etc. are often comorbid in EDs — and EDs are insidious because they often don't start AS an ED. They start as counting calories and worrying about food being unhealthy, and then before you know it it spirals into an ED.

Also I'm not armchairing Ruby's own mental health here but... I noticed in the extract of her new book Lottie displays a lot of OCD symptoms. Perfectionism, anxiety, repetitively washing her hands, intrusive thoughts... I truly hope Ruby doesn't portray it in a similar way as she usually portrays mental illness. I honestly can't help but think she fetishises the idea of a poor frail girl with cracked hands and anxious feelings. There's very few books tackling OCD in the YA genre in my opinion. Kids are so impressionable and I don't want them to read this and think Lottie is just sooo tortured and unique and interesting and they want to be like her. Idk I'm rambling

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
dissertation cut ruby.jpg

From her latest video, 2:43. Apparently this is a snippet of her thesis, and it's about... Carroll's letters to children. I mean... interpreting Carroll's letters to children as gift-giving?
I hope the controversy surrounding Carroll and children is going to be discussed at some point?

She should really enable her spell checker. Epistolarly?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.