Ruby Granger #25 Leaving all the books unread, chasing sponsorships instead

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The "epistolarly" made me laugh. Kind of fits her weird pronounciation, too ("e-piss-tollury, almost rhymes with scholarly").

Reactions: 9
I feel like she's spending too much time checking the logic and structure in her dissertation? I mean, usually you make a plan beforehand and you make sure it flows logically, thematically or chronologically, and then you just re-read it? She's too close to the end to be focusing on that.

Reactions: 17
True but you've got to remember that everyone has a different "natural weight." Some people are naturally very, very thin while others naturally carry more weight and are a bit softer. I mean compare the Kardashians to someone like Cara Delevingne — both (seem) healthy but they have very different body types. People are saying that Ruby's weight at the minute is unhealthy for HER body, not for anybody else's. And even if she's not underweight, I think that any weight that requires a person to eat the way she does to maintain is unhealthy. No hate against you of course! xx

OCD, anxiety etc. are often comorbid in EDs — and EDs are insidious because they often don't start AS an ED. They start as counting calories and worrying about food being unhealthy, and then before you know it it spirals into an ED.

Also I'm not armchairing Ruby's own mental health here but... I noticed in the extract of her new book Lottie displays a lot of OCD symptoms. Perfectionism, anxiety, repetitively washing her hands, intrusive thoughts... I truly hope Ruby doesn't portray it in a similar way as she usually portrays mental illness. I honestly can't help but think she fetishises the idea of a poor frail girl with cracked hands and anxious feelings. There's very few books tackling OCD in the YA genre in my opinion. Kids are so impressionable and I don't want them to read this and think Lottie is just sooo tortured and unique and interesting and they want to be like her. Idk I'm rambling
For sure I defo agree with you there, I suppose I just think we can become a bit hyperfixated on her weight here sometimes and end up thinking it’s a lot worse than it is

Reactions: 13
I feel like she's spending too much time checking the logic and structure in her dissertation? I mean, usually you make a plan beforehand and you make sure it flows logically, thematically or chronologically, and then you just re-read it? She's too close to the end to be focusing on that.
But she always starts her essays by creating a mind map. So, if true to her writing process, the structure was done first. We know she never lies about anything. Hint hint this was an ass-first dive into writing a dissertation.

Don't know about you guys, but my structure is chaotic only when:
1. I have no idea what I'm actually trying to say; or
2. Passages are cut and pasted to form the chapters/paragraphs.
3. When the content was in bullet point and then changed into sentences.
View attachment 1155739
From her latest video, 2:43. Apparently this is a snippet of her thesis, and it's about... Carroll's letters to children. I mean... interpreting Carroll's letters to children as gift-giving?
I hope the controversy surrounding Carroll and children is going to be discussed at some point?

She should really enable her spell checker. Epistolarly?!
Why though? The Victorians are perfect, and can do no wrong (Bones 2022:19). Because you know her work is just jAnuenly so groundbreaking that everyone is going to reference it and that's why the disastertation's thesis statement is kept hidden.

Also it takes some special mental gymnastics and deep denial to see Carroll's (possible) child-grooming as gift-giving.

And words are deliberately misspelled because she is waiting for that grammarly ad content.

• Haha
View attachment 1154354

Right off the bat, Ruby gifts us with a glimpse of her new literary masterpiece, Lottie Parker's Friend is Gone Girl, or whatever the duck it's called.

It looks terrible, and it's clear that:

A. Ruby still struggles with basic grammar, punctuation, capitalisation, and so on. She can't figure out where punctuation goes in dialogue and "Maths" is occasionally "maths", and possibly "mAtHS" in the next, unseen page.
B. Ruby borrowed a bunch of tired YA main character archetypal tropes from those books she borrowed from the library to skim through and shat them onto the page.

View attachment 1154639

Ruby yet again unfurls her yoga mat so carelessly and violently that the ensuing gust of air almost tears her collage of crap clean off the wall. It might not be the exact same footage as last time, but it might as well be.

She does some uncoordinated "yoga", risking 46 injuries at once.

View attachment 1154661

This pose is called 'The Time-Turner'. Legend has it, if done correctly, you can open your 117th chakra and revert back to your childhood form once more. At least that's what Ruby read in some fanfiction once.

View attachment 1154335

Ruby shows herself writing bulletpoint notes for her dissertation conclusion and it's full of hilarious bullshit.

Most notably, Ruby aims to wrap up 10,000 words of tangential, labyrinthine gibberish by introducing even more nonsensical ideas instead of tying everything off.

She also insisted on writing about Lewis Carroll's letters and the correspondence of other famous writers for her dissertation, even though it's barely relevant to her degree, so passionate was she about the prospect of delving into their letters and uncovering new details that would change future scholarship forever. She dragged her mum across the country to chauffer her and hold her hand on a Dark Macdemia investigation to look at original letter manuscripts for some reason. And after all that, her conclusion is just "you cannot look too closely at letters".

View attachment 1154677

Ruby says she's reading something by "List Anley", who may or may not be a pseudonym for Liz Stanley.

Ruby announces that this person, whatever their actual name may be, is her "FAVOURITE ACADEMIC". Because Ruby's so entrenched in academia that she has to tier-rank her favourite academics, apparently, and she definitely not just trying to butter up a potential Masters supervisor for the future.

This "Lisstahhnlie" won't be too happy she's described as an "eppiss-tollury theorist", though, considering she's an uh-pistol-airy theorist, and generally academics probably aren't too impressed by faux gifted mush-minded fuckwits who can't pronounce anything right.

View attachment 1154405

Floundering, shmoundering! Ruby's doing so well at her dissertation that she's thousands of words over the word count! Nothing to see here, she's definitely going to deliver a coherent piece of First-worthy academic literature!

But the work will have to wait! Ruby's going to see her new, previously-unmentioned-in-her-entire-life, definitely-not-fictional frAnd...Venerial Valeria?

The name of this new, absolutely, 100% real person gives off massive "I need to make up a name and I'll just look around for what's in eyeshot for ideas" energy.

View attachment 1154678
View attachment 1154679

Ruby films herself grabbing library books before she leaves, and that's exactly how you want to see a book borrower treating books: Just leaving them on the filthy floor of their grimy hovel, with random coconut shavings/maggots/giant dandruff, weeds and general detritus sprinkled all over the carpet nearby.

View attachment 1154414

Ruby's a true bookworm, in the sense that there are likely worms near all her books.

View attachment 1154431

Ruby says she's walking to town, but also listening to an audiobook at the same time.

She's allegedly listening to 'The Psychology of Money'. Hopefully she also listens to the upcoming sequel, 'The Sociopathy of Stealing Charity Money'.

At this point, the video becomes harder to watch/listen to. Ruby's speeding up her narration again and the audio overlaps often, so the result is:

"ANDthanIdidthisANDthanIalsodidthisbutTHANthishappenedANDIdidallthethings -- ANDthanIdidmorethingsthananyoneelsecaneverthinkofdoing -- ANDthandidsomemoreANDthanIdidevenmore! AND!AND!AND!AND!"

View attachment 1154680

I don't know if she thinks TALKINGSUPERFASTABOUTALLTHETHINGSATONCE will somehow trick people into thinking she's being super productive because a lot of non-information is being thrown out far too quickly and overloading people's brains, the same way she thinks sped-up time-lapse footage will fool people into believing she's being VARRY busy and productive even though she's just aimlessly pacing her room.

Or maybe it's just a cacophony of incompetence (which should be the title of her biography).

Either way, it's excruciating to sit through.

View attachment 1154499

Ruby's out to prove Tattlers wrong yet again; she forced herself to study in a library for the first time ever, instead of taking up space in public cafés and not buying anything. Naturally, she claims to have done SYO MOCH dissertation WAHRK.

View attachment 1154511

Ruby: "I'm just gyowing tyoo wahrk some mooore on my dissertation."
Ruby, two seconds later: "I acshually did some more wahrk on my dissertation."

Thrilling content, Ruby. Just riveting stuff. Twists, turns, suspense, intrigue. It's got it all. And this slosh-minded dipshit aspires to be a successful author of a mystery book.

A sample from her novel, if this video is anything to go by:

"We got a call from a jogger out on a morning walk," Detective Inspector Quaffleby-Smythe said. "He said there's a dead body next to the canal."
Detective Chief Inspector Bombleton considered his colleague's words. He looked down at the dead body next to the canal.
"There's a dead body next to the canal," he concluded.
As the two policemen studied the dead body next to the canal, which was definitely a dead body next to a canal, a cyclist sped by them on the canal path, shouting something as she passed.
"Officers!" she shrieked, pointing at the dead body at their feet, which was next to the canal. "There's a dead body next to the canal!"

Quaffleby-Smythe looked down. "She's right, you know."

View attachment 1154554

After doing "lyots of waahrk" on the dissertation, which would've been written 50 times over if she was actually doing all the work she claimed to, she's broken the seal on lies and even more spill forth.

Ruby claims she did hours of work for "PONKIN' PRODOCKTIVVITEA", the stationery company she's again claiming she "runs", even though her involvement is almost non-existent and her management company owns and runs it.

She claims she's been working on the final edits for the next planner, implying that any work or changes go into those flimsy, cheaply-designed and produced wastes of paper other than a minor colour-swap and a date change. She's also under the illusion that people will buy another of her planners considering the previous disaster and the abundance of stock she's struggling to sells from last time.

View attachment 1154695

And after a single minute that included five more instances of her saying "and THAN I did wahhrk on moiyyy dissertationnn..." , Ruby saying "JANuiely", her shoehorning in snack bar ads, pretending she cleans the kitchen and filming herself walking back and forth in the street, I dipped out.

It's all just the same tit over and over, which is nothing new, but even in the same video she's so repetitive. This tit is twenty minutes long, and so far nothing has happened besides the headache it gave me.

View attachment 1154681

View attachment 1154627
Shame you tapped out early, you missed the best bits! She left in footage where she runs back to pick up her camera after filming herself walking away--twice! It's the most animated she appears in the whole video.

• Haha
And here we have a classic Rooboid interpretation of what it means to be consistent: sometimes 1 hour, sometimes 6
7D7345C5-D476-4397-A4B4-5A709A89A6B2.jpeg
🤦‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
View attachment 1156031

The other trick is to just lie about everything.
Oh that's such toxic advice - implying that you not only have to be super productive all the time, but you also have to enjoy your work. Now I'm just picturing all those teenagers who idolize her reading this and then beating themselves up for not always enjoying their school work... The way she even puts "work" in quotation marks, ugh.

I don't believe in this myth that if you "love what you do", work doesn't feel like work. Work is work no matter how much you like your degree. Btw the same toxic bullshit is often used by companies/start-ups to justify overworking their employees.

And apart from that it's also just a recipe for unclear boundaries between work and relaxation, increased stress, and eventual burnout. Not that Ruby is exhibiting any of that, of course - Ruby is clearly doing just wonderful mental health-wise. No red flags at all 🙃

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Also I'm not armchairing Ruby's own mental health here but... I noticed in the extract of her new book Lottie displays a lot of OCD symptoms. Perfectionism, anxiety, repetitively washing her hands, intrusive thoughts... I truly hope Ruby doesn't portray it in a similar way as she usually portrays mental illness. I honestly can't help but think she fetishises the idea of a poor frail girl with cracked hands and anxious feelings. There's very few books tackling OCD in the YA genre in my opinion. Kids are so impressionable and I don't want them to read this and think Lottie is just sooo tortured and unique and interesting and they want to be like her. Idk I'm rambling
It was mentioned upthread that Ruby describes her book as Am I Normal Yet? meets another book I can't remember. AINY is an absolute banger of a book - the main character, Evie, isn't particularly focused on academics, but she does have OCD and anxiety; the book shows her journey through overwhelming intrusive thoughts incredibly well. In particular, she struggles with compulsive hand-washing; the narrative often comes back to the worsening of her hands as an externalisation of the decline in her mental state. It's hard-hitting, but not romanticising anxiety at all. One of Evie's two best friends is Lottie (!), a burned-out gifted kid who struggles with perfectionism.

One thing I noticed in the extract of Ruby's book was that each of the intrusive thoughts address Lottie by name - 'you're going to fail, Lottie' etc. This kind of repetition is used to great effect in Am I Normal Yet? It feels like Ruby's just Frankensteining a book out of a self-insert character and some good YA literature.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
It was mentioned upthread that Ruby describes her book as Am I Normal Yet? meets another book I can't remember. AINY is an absolute banger of a book - the main character, Evie, isn't particularly focused on academics, but she does have OCD and anxiety; the book shows her journey through overwhelming intrusive thoughts incredibly well. In particular, she struggles with compulsive hand-washing; the narrative often comes back to the worsening of her hands as an externalisation of the decline in her mental state. It's hard-hitting, but not romanticising anxiety at all. One of Evie's two best friends is Lottie (!), a burned-out gifted kid who struggles with perfectionism.

One thing I noticed in the extract of Ruby's book was that each of the intrusive thoughts address Lottie by name - 'you're going to fail, Lottie' etc. This kind of repetition is used to great effect in Am I Normal Yet? It feels like Ruby's just Frankensteining a book out of a self-insert character and some good YA literature.
I’m thinking that’s one of the books that should be kept handy for purposes of comparison if Roobee ever does find a publisher, I smell another Opal Mehta debacle heading our way. (And I can’t wait 😁)
p.s. you’re going to fail, Roobee

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13

Ruby is just shameless in everything she does. I'll have a look at AINY though! I've been wanting to read that one for ages.

Reactions: 6

Oh wow and here I was getting ready to write a post about how I think Ruby's writing has improved cause I found that excerpt pretty strong. I specifically wanted to say I liked her use of repetition! So much for trusting Ruby to do anything by herself I guess.

Reactions: 6

Wow, she even stole the name for her character. Is there a less imaginative person than Roob with an E? I think part of the struggle for Ruby isn't the writing itself, but knowing enough about people to write convincing characters. Good writers are usually observant when it comes to other people: they notice details about behaviour, describe inner thoughts and feelings accurately and in a way that's relatable to their readers; plus they're good at portraying relationships between different characters.

I think Ruby takes a formulaic/rigid approach to the writing process and semi-plagiarises, not because she's a fraud, but because she's not capable of producing those kinds of observations on her own. She doesn't have the social awareness, imagination or direct experience. I feel like this comes across as really harsh & it would be nice if she could prove us wrong, but so far I haven't seen any evidence that Ruby can do anything other than copy.

Reactions: 23
Again, taking up a whole table and ordering one cup of tea.
It was reported across various news outlets today that Debrett’s have created an etiquette (pronounced AT-ti-quattay, obvs) guide for working from cafes. Two of the major faux pas are table hogging and not ordering food and/or drinks at regular intervals. Oh dear …

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
She got her food for the week (probably)
In her defense (lol I know, just indulge me this once), she’s going back home to mummy and daddy this week and may have odds and ends to use up before she leaves AXEter. Like, that’s what a normal person would do.

However, she’s sharing this right after being called out on her food account and her most recent youtube comments for promoting harmful eating behaviours, so it’s just as likely that she hasn’t had her full feed of ”omg Roobee y u so frail and elfin 🥺💫✨” yet and wants to milk every drop of attention she can.

Reactions: 14
I think her legs look more than normal? Mine are skinnier, and I like wearing "big" booted shoes too. And I definitely don't have an ED.
Maybe so. But you're probably naturally slim whereas Ruby isn't; as evident from her older videos. I'm just showing my concern and her negative influence on younger viewers, that's all.

This is probably going to be a mega unpopular opinion but I must admit, I’ve gotta disagree on this one. Regardless of ED (and yes before anyone boots off, you can have an ED at any size and weight is not always an indicator of recovery etc etc that’s not the point I’m going to make) weight wise I really don’t think she looks particularly unhealthy here at all, if I’m honest I’m probably slimmer than her and am a perfectly healthy weight for my age and height. There was a time where Ruby did lose a dangerous amount of weight about a year / 6 months ago, but since then she hasn’t really continued, despite still posting her horrible meals.. idk
Definitely. An ED has no weight and I'm not trying to say everyone who is slim has an ED, but like I said in another reply, I'm just talking about Ruby. She used to be bigger, and she never was big or phat. I'm just saying she looks unhealthy in my opinion, when comparing her figure to her older videos. That's all.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.