Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
Bulb update, this is my first year having any outside space at all and I always dreamt of growing tulips so I'm particularly proud of the red tulips

20220414_093101.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 22

tyrellsg

I tried to find a thread but couldn't see one so I thought maybe a thread could be started as it's coming into Spring and I've started sowing seedlings. This thread can be used to share tips?

I plant sunflowers every year and this year I'm planting Pikes Peak, Titan and Dwarf Sunflowers.

Trying to grow spinach for the first time and my son has chosen to grow pumpkins (for the pumpkins I plan to use seaweed fertiliser when they are big enough)

Also picked up a Camellia plant which is looking lovely in the garden.

Feel like I learn more each year when I plant flowers so hoping to learn more this year and hopefully share my garden when it is in full bloom.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Irry345

First time posting here- I really enjoy reading this thread as I don't know many people who like gardening.
I started growing veg/flowers in lockdown
Today I harvested my first cauliflower 🤩

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 18

esoes

Boring story but I had to tell someone and felt only fellow enthusiasts would get it!

I'm always trying to do as much as I can on a budget in the garden so always looking on Freecycle etc for plants/garden bits in need of a new home or plant swaps etc.

A few weeks ago I picked up a load of free planters (some with soil and lots of weeds) and with illness in the house I hadn't got round to emptying out and cleaning them all.

I've just gone out to hang some washing and have noticed that under the weeds in one of the long planters there are daffodils starting to sprout. I thought it was maybe one or two but on a closer inspection it looks like they fill the whole planter so maybe 20-30. I'm so thrilled! Hoping I can enjoy them in the planter this year and then move the bulbs into the ground. Easily pleased 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 16

50sGirl

VIP Member
A gardening thread! Fantastic!

Really pleased with our Annabelle Hydrangeas this year. It’s hard to tell the scale in the photo, but the flower heads are huge. I love hydrangeas.

61591BC1-30E3-4C66-A97B-BDECCAFE03CB.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 15

bolimepipi

VIP Member
so we ended up building a raised bed for the balcony from palets, painting it and painting some buckets and it turned out pretty nice:

C42AD4CC-1050-456E-94EB-235C380965D6.jpeg

we have tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, mint, basil, dill, lavender, radish, spring onions...

and yesterday i noticed the first baby tomato 🍅😄

F654392F-44E8-43E4-BF97-8E5FC6D6F615.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Bereb45

Been gardening the past 2-3 years. Never thought i’d enjoy it but now i’m obsessed. I find it so good for my mental health. I turned the front garden into a veg and cut flower garden. My tomatoes have done so well this year. They seem to be an early variety which has helped.
The raised beds are surrounded by eucalyptus (coppiced to keep short), lavender, grasses, alliums, verbena.
I’m going to buy some bare root fruit trees at the end of the year and espalier them at the back of my raised beds closest to the house. (6x1.2x1.2m).
C432F99C-523B-4E4C-85B8-621044772347.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 14

PumpkinKing

Chatty Member
Coming away from my dads with plenty of cherry tomatoes and apples, plus we picked loads of blackberries on the way here
5B429FD5-AB3B-4367-BE3F-A349DEE472F8.jpeg
D7FF95DA-D5EB-4FD3-BD55-8DF632279409.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Some of our recent plantings seem to be surviving this unseasonably cold spell.
Made some makeshift tripods for the Sweet Pea plugs to climb up, out of some bbq skewer sticks 😀
20210506_162749.jpg

Also put a Geranium, an Alpine, a Sea Lavender & a n other (can't recall the name) into a large tub.
20210506_162652.jpg

Removed 5 Dogwoods which had got out of hand & actually burst through parts of the back fence, tidied fence up, collected some large stones from the local riverbank & stuck down bark chips & some shrubs in pots, maybe pick up another couple of pots to fill more space.
Just need to stop our dog piddling on every new plant pot 🙄🐶
20210506_162717.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 12