Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really wish there was a PM function here (totally understandable that there isn’t!) but I have a load of veg seedlings to give away. Mainly broccoli, sweetcorn and baby cucumbers. Where I live is full of keen gardeners so can’t get rid on the local gardening FB groups. I hate throwing life away!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I really wish there was a PM function here (totally understandable that there isn’t!) but I have a load of veg seedlings to give away. Mainly broccoli, sweetcorn and baby cucumbers. Where I live is full of keen gardeners so can’t get rid on the local gardening FB groups. I hate throwing life away!
See if you can leave them at a library or a food bank

Reactions: 1
Shame I'm not a bit closer I'd have them!(border of Greater Mcr and Yorks)

I just found this thread. We moved into our house at the end of January and have slowly been sorting the garden out. The former owners were very much just lawn and a horrible slate area with three ugly random leggy shrubs. So far I've planted all my trees from pots, 2 apple 2 cherry a plum and a pear plus two blueberry bushes into the area that was covered in slate. Also dug out a border and filled it with cottage garden type perennials like yarrow, pinks, delphiniums plus some lupins and hollyhocks. The delphiniums seem to have been slugged to nothingness sadly.

Husband is attempting chilis of various kinds now we have a conservatory and so far has kept them alive for 2 months which is a record. He usually over waters them and they die so he's doing well.

Next project is large raised planters in front of the kitchen windows to fill with herbs. Then the plan for next year is tomatoes and some other salad stuff. I have a 1 year 2 year and 5 year plan for the garden. I will share pictures once there is something to see!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I grew a peony!! Yes she’s droopy but I grew her!
My favourite flower!

I have three but mine have done terribly this year. One didn’t produce any buds, one produced one bud which hasn’t flowered and the other produced two buds but only one has flowered. Disappointed!

Reactions: 2
Shame I'm not a bit closer I'd have them!(border of Greater Mcr and Yorks)

I just found this thread. We moved into our house at the end of January and have slowly been sorting the garden out. The former owners were very much just lawn and a horrible slate area with three ugly random leggy shrubs. So far I've planted all my trees from pots, 2 apple 2 cherry a plum and a pear plus two blueberry bushes into the area that was covered in slate. Also dug out a border and filled it with cottage garden type perennials like yarrow, pinks, delphiniums plus some lupins and hollyhocks. The delphiniums seem to have been slugged to nothingness sadly.

Husband is attempting chilis of various kinds now we have a conservatory and so far has kept them alive for 2 months which is a record. He usually over waters them and they die so he's doing well.

Next project is large raised planters in front of the kitchen windows to fill with herbs. Then the plan for next year is tomatoes and some other salad stuff. I have a 1 year 2 year and 5 year plan for the garden. I will share pictures once there is something to see!
we are south Manchester so bit far if you are Yorkshire border!

Why not leave them outside your house (if it's a busy enough road). 'Free seedlings'

Why not leave them outside your house (if it's a busy enough road). 'Free seedlings'
I do that with herbs! See pic from last week.

That’s a good idea but I started in trays. I don’t want to re pot them all if they don’t go.

I saw on a local FB gardening group someone recommending these. Has anyone tried? Not the cheapest, but better than using pesticides. Tempted to give them a go, they are already munching my strawberries and courgette. Got loads of salad veg coming through now too.

I'm looking at an Acer tree for a large pot - the small ones I've seen in B&M, morrisons etc look weedy and straggly, do they grow fast?
I'm not really sure about how they grow in pots, I did watch Homegrown Garden on YouTube repot hers the other day but can't remember how old she said they were. I think they are quite slow-growing if you start off with a small one.

Ours was quite a big small tree IYSWIM 😂, it was planted in ground about 15 years ago and is now about 2m tall. Sadly it lost one of its 3 main branches a few years ago but it still has a lovely shape.

I'm not really sure about how they grow in pots, I did watch Homegrown Garden on YouTube repot hers the other day but can't remember how old she said they were. I think they are quite slow-growing if you start off with a small one.

Ours was quite a big small tree IYSWIM 😂, it was planted in ground about 15 years ago and is now about 2m tall. Sadly it lost one of its 3 main branches a few years ago but it still has a lovely shape.
I've put a perennial Leucanthemum "broadway lights" in the pot I had earmarked for the Acer

Screenshot 2023-06-01 8.05.57 PM.png

(Didn't come with the guy unfortunately)

Might still get an Acer at the end of summer to put in another pot once my summer annuals have finished. Unless you can recommend a differnt small tree I can put in a pot?

we are south Manchester so bit far if you are Yorkshire border!
Used to live in Chorlton many moons ago but couldn't afford to buy so moved to the hills! Now I have a garden but the soil is heavy clay so veg will still be in planters not the ground

What’s the one tip everyone would give a beginner? Please and thanks 😃
Good tools, good quality peat free compost, and google! Honestly, google was and still is my best friend. I tend to use RHS or Gardeners world for tips. For example, "How to grow xxx from seed", "When to harvest xxx".

Also, join any local facebook groups, there are usually loads of swaps, freebies, and Q&A.

• Heart
Anyone else get offended when you see a bee fly to one of your flowers, give it a sniff then fly off? Like why isn't it good enough for you

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Anyone else get offended when you see a bee fly to one of your flowers, give it a sniff then fly off? Like why isn't it good enough for you
Maybe they have a nose like Daniella Westbrook in your profile pic 😆

• Haha