Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any tips for getting rid of caterpillar box blight? I have a hedge in my front garden that’s seems to have fallen victim to it. It’s the first time it’s happened and it’s been there for around 10 years. Don’t really want to pull it up as it’s taken ages to grow!
There is a product on the market now to get rid of it, you'll have to go to the garden centre though. Here it's sold under the name of Solabiol.

Reactions: 2
Look at the difference!

what are you growing? I think I spy tates and broad beans
Yes, both of those. I was only going to do one batch of potatoes but some were sprouting in the fridge so I put them in the bed and they have gone mad.

I also have carrots, onions, garlic, brussels. radishes, lettuce, beetroot, cabbages, runnerbeans and tomatoes in the greenhouse.

Yes, both of those. I was only going to do one batch of potatoes but some were sprouting in the fridge so I put them in the bed and they have gone mad.

I also have carrots, onions, garlic, brussels. radishes, lettuce, beetroot, cabbages, runnerbeans and tomatoes in the greenhouse.
My potatoes have also gone mad! Luckily we have lots of family nearby who drop in the have some of our produce!

Im growing garlic and onions for the first time this year, have you grown them before?

My potatoes have also gone mad! Luckily we have lots of family nearby who drop in the have some of our produce!

Im growing garlic and onions for the first time this year, have you grown them before?
I have grown garlic before, most of it growing is cloves i left in the veg bed, they are like another weed and will just spread if you leave them. I also have some elephant garlic I am trying for the first time. Most of it doesn't look much bigger than regular garlic but one plant is enormous.

Not tried onions before, I have mixed them with carrots as I understand the smell hides the carrot smell from carrot fly.

I have a great book called Veg in One Bed which tells you what to plant, when and what to replace with to cycle in a bed. it is by Huw Richards who is also on YouTube.

Reactions: 5
I have grown garlic before, most of it growing is cloves i left in the veg bed, they are like another weed and will just spread if you leave them. I also have some elephant garlic I am trying for the first time. Most of it doesn't look much bigger than regular garlic but one plant is enormous.

Not tried onions before, I have mixed them with carrots as I understand the smell hides the carrot smell from carrot fly.

I have a great book called Veg in One Bed which tells you what to plant, when and what to replace with to cycle in a bed. it is by Huw Richards who is also on YouTube.
Ahh that’s interesting to know. I might try elephant garlic too.

I have the veg in one bed book, it’s really helpful isn’t it? I’m looking at doing a compost heap as advised by the book but we don’t get many leaves in our garden which seems to make up the bulk of it.

Any compost heap experts on here with advice?

What should I grow for some aesthetic height to my veg bed? Realised everything I've got is low growing and last year I have broad beans, the plant was lovely, but I didn't make use of the beans for some reason.

What should I grow for some aesthetic height to my veg bed? Realised everything I've got is low growing and last year I have broad beans, the plant was lovely, but I didn't make use of the beans for some reason.
Peas climbing up a frame?
Sweetcorn?
Sprouts?

Reactions: 1

What about french beans, would you use them? Or even borlotti beans, which you can use as a substitute for kidney beans in cooking.

Thanks I’ve just borrowed it from my online library.
If I like it, I’ll but a hard copy.
Off to check out his YouTube…

Went to a garden centre today and, continuing the “buy a perennial/hardy shrub in flower each month of the year” theme, I bought a geum.
In the garden, I took some salvia cuttings. I also potted on some Nemesia cuttings that I had taken earlier this month.
I planted up 2 large pots with Nemesia, fuchsias and geranium/pelargonium so that they can become established before they go in my front garden.

April’s plant was a Glandora:

27549AC6-59AF-4100-8FC5-F804C86BEC2B.jpeg

Plant for May: Geum

F0759589-8F21-4EB9-B7F6-0C2CED72518F.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have what look like fruit coming on the b&m store apple tree, that I put in a large tub last year.
There must be a couple of dozen baby apples showing :oops:
It's already flowered a few weeks ago, which looked really nice, the growth in a year is incredible.
20220528_121621.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My potatoes have gone wild! Not sure as to when I should dig them up
I agree with @Moongirl69 , topping up the soil will help getting a bigger harvest. I always leave mine in until the foliage has died, no harm in leaving them in since it will be too cold by then anyway for them to start growing.

Also can I just rant about slugs? bleeping hate them, they've made a mess of my spinach and radishes. I don't want to use poison but at this rate I might not have any more options. Ffs.

I agree with @Moongirl69 , topping up the soil will help getting a bigger harvest. I always leave mine in until the foliage has died, no harm in leaving them in since it will be too cold by then anyway for them to start growing.

Also can I just rant about slugs? bleeping hate them, they've made a mess of my spinach and radishes. I don't want to use poison but at this rate I might not have any more options. Ffs.
My slug traps don't work very well. I may have to upgrade from £1 for 4 cans of Sainsburys larger. They may have better taste :ROFLMAO:

I normally go out about 9ish with a torch and lob the ones I find into the field which backs onto my garden.

• Haha