Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Xales

VIP Member
My tomato plants are struggling with the weight. I keep having to tie them up. I have put some to sun dry as too many were ripe at the same time.

signal-2022-08-15-191918_002.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11

Moe

VIP Member
If you have a garden plant crocuses in the grass during September. It’s such a lovely sight in the Spring seeing them come into bloom.

Xales

VIP Member
My last broadband harvest. I don't think they will survive but my lemon and oranges.
20220707_202014.jpg

20220707_202304.jpg
20220707_202341.jpg

• Heart

JoJo76

VIP Member
I do all my veg in planters and pots, I didn't managed a clear out pre-winter last year due to a bad accident (broke my back). My husband hates gardening so I did a shout out to my road's WhatsApp for kids wanting pocket money. I had such a fun day on Saturday with a lovely 11 year old girl who is such a grafter! She was really happy with the £10 an hour, and keeps the husband happy! She is coming back at the end of March to plant my spuds and onions as I cannot bend.

I have some spare extra large rectangular pots so she is going to have her own to take home with her. I'd rather pay and spend time with a lovely and enthusiastic kid than a grumpy husband! He would help me, but I now have a little apprentice.

• Heart

Ginlover92

Anyone here for a new year of seeds, planting and gardening?

I've got some seeds going and the raised beds are ready!

• Heart

50sGirl

VIP Member
How much sun do Tulips really need to flower? I've just moved into my first house with any outdoor space, at the moment I can see there isn't any spot in the yard that gets more than a couple hours direct sunlight, though I guess in March/April it will get a lot more
Tulips do best in full sun but can be grown in partial shade too.

I’m going to try bulb lasagne this year. I’ve never done it before but I’ve inherited so many pots from my Dad that I’m going to try to fill a few. I don’t think they will be as good as his displays but I’ll try my best. I’ve also not touched 4 of his bulb planters and I’m hoping they will come up again in spring so that he sends me flowers again. 🥰
Pic below is from March. It was sad that he never saw the fruits of his labour but they gave me so much joy.

3B713928-C6DC-49DB-BA4C-4374A61BC3A3.jpeg

I’ve planted lots of his daffodil bulbs in my garden this week. I’ve lots of his tulip bulbs to plant too but I’ve read you should wait until November to plant in the ground in order to avoid a disease called tulip fire.

I’ve got a bulb order coming from the Netherlands (where else?!) with some more daffodils, tulips, crocus and alliums. I’ve never grown alliums before so I’m looking forward to trying those.
I didn’t realise that not all varieties of tulip are perennials, and they may not flower every year, so I’ve made sure I’ve ordered perennial varieties.

At the weekend I sowed some sweet peas in root trainers in my new greenhouse. Hopefully it will mean an earlier and longer display in the garden next year.

I’ve also sown some winter lettuce and rocket in the greenhouse. They look a bit leggy at the moment though so we shall see…

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
My seedlings are doing well, still just a bit frosty to be outside. Need to buy more compost this weekend and plant my sweet peas and courgettes
16192664324532726542000833829943.jpg

• Heart

JoJo76

VIP Member
Love this thread. We only have a small back and front garden so I don't really have the space for growing much veg. I do have a ton of herbs though, rosemary, thyme, mint, parsley, marjoram and a bay tree.

We live on a really social street and we have a what's app group. A few of us are going to start some planting in the front of herbs and bits of vegs that people from the road can help themselves to. I love the idea of someone needing a sprig of something and just taking what they need, rather than buying from the supermarket and having wastage as there is always too much.

• Heart
ADD25674-D1DF-4DE4-88BC-68CD63520212.jpeg

My pumpkin flower!! I’ve noticed they seem to bloom very briefly for a few hours early in the morning then by lunch time they’ve died back to nothing. Aren’t plants insane!?

• Heart