Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Wetmyplants

VIP Member
Yes, both of those. I was only going to do one batch of potatoes but some were sprouting in the fridge so I put them in the bed and they have gone mad.

I also have carrots, onions, garlic, brussels. radishes, lettuce, beetroot, cabbages, runnerbeans and tomatoes in the greenhouse.
My potatoes have also gone mad! Luckily we have lots of family nearby who drop in the have some of our produce!

Im growing garlic and onions for the first time this year, have you grown them before?

50sGirl

VIP Member
Just had a Google and you can eat them. None of my courgettes grew this year so no flowers for me.

I ate the tips off my broad beans. There were so many it was nearly a salad by themselves.
I only had one seed germinate each for cucumber, green courgette and yellow courgette. I think I planted 4 or 5 of each which usually gives me 3 plants of each so I have spares but no spares this year. I think many people are having poor germination this year. Don’t know if it’s the seeds or the compost.

JoJo76

VIP Member
Why not leave them outside your house (if it's a busy enough road). 'Free seedlings'
I do that with herbs! See pic from last week.

That’s a good idea but I started in trays. I don’t want to re pot them all if they don’t go.

50sGirl

VIP Member
Has anyone had any problems with aphids this year? My courgettes and potatoes have quite a few on some of the flowers. I’ve tried a drop of washing up liquid with water sprayed on them but this didn’t work when my lupins were invaded by them a couple of years ago, so I’m not feeling too optimistic.

Any tips?
I’ve heard diluted Neem oil is supposed to help. I think I saw it on Beechgrove. She made a washing up liquid and Neem oil mix diluted with water and sprayed it like an insecticide. She said it doesn’t smell very nice though.

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Slugs - you can try wide copper tape around pots & the base of plants, they don't like to pass over that apparently.
I tried a beer trap one time but it only attracts slugs within a few feet to it.
Having plenty of birds around your garden will help or you just go nuclear and put salt on them when you see one, salt will also kill grass though and some might not like that idea, understandably.
I read somewhere that slugs love Bran and sprinkling it around plants they will gorge on it, leaving them bloated/dehydrated & the birds will pick them off.

Merpedy

VIP Member
This is the best thread I have found for my question and I hope someone can help me 😭

I got a Pink Quill a while ago and since then it has flowered and is slowly starting to brown. There seems to be a smaller pup growing to the side of it (though it has not yet emerged as a pink 'flower') and I'm just wondering if I should cut the parent plant off or wait for it to brown completely?

Also, if a pup does emerge when should I cut that off?

There's so much conflicting information online about the plant's care in general so any advice is welcome

50sGirl

VIP Member
Woohoo finnaly repotted the tomatoes and jalapeños today. Haven't had the time yet but now it's done! Looking good so far! Also the rhubarb has 6 huge stalks and there's still more coming but traditionally we don't harvest it after June 24th here. Gonna make some rhubarb strawberry jam this weekend!

The redcurrants are also ready and so tasty 🤤 and the raspberries are going mental, they've taken over the whole bed 😅 gonna dig them out in autum and put them in a pot as I think they'll overtake the whole garden if I let them...

The slugs those fuckers have razed my kohlrabi and one of the fennels, and my spinach and radishes. But the coffe grounds seem to be helping my cucumbers and sweet peas, so, thanks for the tip!!!

Now I just need to figure out a trellis for my grapes...
Wow, where are you? Must be a warmer climate than the UK!

My cucumber plant snapped last week. I tried to tape it together along with a splint but alas it’s no more. It’s a shame as that plant was further along than my others. I still have one mini cucumber plant and another one that is regular sized cucumbers but not much happening with those at the moment.
My hay fever has been dreadful this week so no gardening. 😕

or JusRollWithIt

VIP Member
Has anybody planted fruit trees this year? I saw some pear and plum trees in Wilko yesterday. Would love a cherry tree but will the birds eat them all?
A family member has cherry trees. They put netting up to prevent birds from eating them. The birds still get some but if they don’t use netting, few cherries would remain. Obviously wait until after pollination to put the nets up.

liddynz

Chatty Member
I’ve done my planters but I’ve still got lots to put in the ground. Hoping it will be dry this weekend to get them in.
Oh my legs were aching so much the next day from all the kneeling! Makes me want to invest in one of those long handled bulb planters, I’ve just recovered 😂 We had a dry couple of days here so I spent a couple of hours clearing some things up and getting bulbs in, back to rain for a week or so now.

Eurgh

VIP Member
Has anybody planted fruit trees this year? I saw some pear and plum trees in Wilko yesterday. Would love a cherry tree but will the birds eat them all?

emm

VIP Member
Sorry if this has been asked before, I have a ground floor flat with a small balcony, North East facing, so I get sun in the morning until about 10/11 (in summer) are there any vegetables I could grow here? (I have a few longish plant pots I thought I could use for lettuce etc but no idea if it would be viable with the lack of all day sun) Also I live in the UK so sun is never guaranteed anyway!

soymilk

VIP Member
hi everyone! I'm after some suggestions please, what are relatively low maintenance-easy to keep indoor plants? thank you 🪴

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
Anyone have any suggestions for an evergreen shrub/small tree I can grow in a pot, that ideally flowers in the spring summer? That i can purchase and plant now? I have a small courtyard garden and the only perrenials/evergreen I have are a fern and some ivy.

esoes

Has anyone had any problems with aphids this year? My courgettes and potatoes have quite a few on some of the flowers. I’ve tried a drop of washing up liquid with water sprayed on them but this didn’t work when my lupins were invaded by them a couple of years ago, so I’m not feeling too optimistic.

Any tips?

I've just made a mix of washing up liquid and olive/veg oil. I then dilute it and spray it on and it has really made a big difference (to pumpkins and succulents so I understand not exactly the same).

Bletchley

Just ordered some naice bulbs off Farmer Gracy ready for planting in the Autumn - Some tulips, narcissi, iris reticulata and some anenomes. Will top up the tulips from Lidl as I'm assuming they will start selling in the couple of week x
I’m totally joining you on this. Got a gardening voucher for my birthday last month and I love tulips aesthetically. I also enjoy how they mark the start of the season when I know that the days are getting longer and weather is getting better! Which types did you get, any interesting colours/breeds?