Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I tried to find a thread but couldn't see one so I thought maybe a thread could be started as it's coming into Spring and I've started sowing seedlings. This thread can be used to share tips?

I plant sunflowers every year and this year I'm planting Pikes Peak, Titan and Dwarf Sunflowers.

Trying to grow spinach for the first time and my son has chosen to grow pumpkins (for the pumpkins I plan to use seaweed fertiliser when they are big enough)

Also picked up a Camellia plant which is looking lovely in the garden.

Feel like I learn more each year when I plant flowers so hoping to learn more this year and hopefully share my garden when it is in full bloom.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I'm trying to do more in the garden too. Last year I did hanging baskets for the first time and I'm hoping to do them again this year.

I've also got some flower seeds to sow in the borders but I'm worried we might have another frost spell so I keep holding off!

When I've got my own place I'd like to have a little patch to grow vegetables ideally.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My husband usually does tomatoes and cucumbers i one of those plastic greenhouses that you can get in factory shop. He also does potatoes in buckets. They are really nice but we end up with too many. I keep promising myself sunflowers, i am going to do myself some this year. When am i supposed to do them please? I will have to buy a packet of seeds. By the way, what a nice thread xx

Reactions: 6
If you have a garden plant crocuses in the grass during September. It’s such a lovely sight in the Spring seeing them come into bloom.

Reactions: 11
Are they the little purple ones, i noticed some in my flowerbed this morning. Im not sure how they got there though !!

Reactions: 5
Ooh this is a great thread, this year is the first year I’ve had a garden which could sustain plant life! I’m planning on planting some vegetables. Need to do some research on where to start!

Reactions: 7
Well, you've inspired me OP!

I've just been out and put up some new solar lights, turned over the border and sprinkled a cheap butterfly garden seed box I got. I don't mind too much if it doesn't take but it'll be nice if they do!

Has anyone used those growing bags for potatoes or other root veggies? Link below. I reckon I've got a place in the communal garden I can keep them fairly concealed so would be interested if anyone has any advice. I've never grown veg before. Thanks! 😊

Amazon product

• Heart
If you have a garden plant crocuses in the grass during September. It’s such a lovely sight in the Spring seeing them come into bloom.
I planted some crocus, tulips and muscari in Autumn - the crocuses have appeared this week and they look lovely. Waiting for the others to appear!

Ooh yes, I'm going to make a more organised effort with veg growing this year. It's been a bit haphazard in the past.

Reactions: 4
I’ve got basil planted in my windowsill and my spring bulbs have just come out ☺ But my basil has these tiny jumping white worms in the soil, does anyone have any idea what they could be?

Reactions: 3
I have one flowerbed which is an annual, I love planting new things and seeing how they grow. I will be doing Osteospermum (African Daisy) and Dahlias for sure this year. Two of my favourites. I know not everyone likes them but I love Marigolds. So simple. Also can't wait to get hanging baskets up, I love the smell of petunias. Here where I live in Canada, spring comes very late and is short by the time the ground thaws and snow melts - late April/early May. I miss the early springs of the UK.
I have never planted Tulip bulbs but think I will this autumn.

• Heart
I do love gardening and have been doing it for years. I always create my gardens from scratch too, which is what I’m currently doing with this one. Getting a greenhouse fitted at the end of March and so I shall be sowing some vegetable seeds this year too.

I have sowed Cosmos and Nasturtium seeds for the past couple of years and have had great success with both of these. Gardening is so satisfying, nurturing plants, raising them from seed, maintaining them and seeing their beautiful flowery results.

I’ve got basil planted in my windowsill and my spring bulbs have just come out ☺ But my basil has these tiny jumping white worms in the soil, does anyone have any idea what they could be?
They sound like some kind of larvae.

Last edited:
My husband usually does tomatoes and cucumbers i one of those plastic greenhouses that you can get in factory shop. He also does potatoes in buckets. They are really nice but we end up with too many. I keep promising myself sunflowers, i am going to do myself some this year. When am i supposed to do them please? I will have to buy a packet of seeds. By the way, what a nice thread xx
Sunflowers are super easy and can grow massive! I normally start mine in late March/ early April. I've bought a plastic greenhouse and from wilko and I'm v impressed so I sowed the seeds about a week ago and the first baby has popped through♥ im normally too impatient and repot into bigger pots but this year I'll wait to repot until the roots are bursting. I normally start them inside but find they stretch to find the light and become straggly so outside is better for them and helps them acclimatise.

They can be grown in a pot or to the ground once they have established a good root ball. Small bamboo sticks are useful to help provide support and strength against winds and then bigger ones when they have thicker stalks and more strength.

I get seeds from ebay and wilko but my partner has been swaying me more towards non gm seeds which are slightly more expensive. The first lockdown was impossible to buy seeds so I started getting mine just after Christmas just incase😅

Hope you grow some beauty's x

Well, you've inspired me OP!

I've just been out and put up some new solar lights, turned over the border and sprinkled a cheap butterfly garden seed box I got. I don't mind too much if it doesn't take but it'll be nice if they do!

Has anyone used those growing bags for potatoes or other root veggies? Link below. I reckon I've got a place in the communal garden I can keep them fairly concealed so would be interested if anyone has any advice. I've never grown veg before. Thanks! 😊

Amazon product
The growing bags are great for spuds. Pop some netting over the bag to help keep pests out

They could be aphids, are you able to post a pic? If possible you can give the basil a blast of water to budge them off the plant but it's tricky as you don't want to use something harmful for your food produce.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Thankyou, i am definitely going to try some out this year, the next door neighbours little girl does them with her mum and im always jealous ! xx

Reactions: 1
I’ve got basil , parsley , mint , coriander and rosemary on the go in the garden as well as last years garlic coming through , I’ve planted more , we get through loads
I’m about to grow cress , but also on my window ledge I have , chillis, peppers and tomatoes germinating until they can go outside

Reactions: 3
I got some sunflower seeds from poundland yesterday so i will follow the advice on here. Thanks x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
If you love cut flowers that smell great but are not confident try growing sweet peas from seed. You can grow them in baskets, pots or beds The more flowers you cut off the more flowers you will get. They are only small so you need lots of small containers/ vases.
Flowers only last a couple of days but by that time you will have another lot to pick. Don't let them go to seed or they will stop flowering, if you see a seedpod start take it off ( looks like peapods) and only let them go to seed at the end of the flowering season. Then collect the seeds for next year.

• Heart
i want to do some ''gardening'' on my balcony - does maybe someone have some tips specifically for this? :)
at the moment i have 2 chinese money plants, 1 houseleek, 1 purple queen and 1 pot of chilli peppers. i'd like to have more fruit and veg!

Reactions: 4