Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Boring story but I had to tell someone and felt only fellow enthusiasts would get it!

I'm always trying to do as much as I can on a budget in the garden so always looking on Freecycle etc for plants/garden bits in need of a new home or plant swaps etc.

A few weeks ago I picked up a load of free planters (some with soil and lots of weeds) and with illness in the house I hadn't got round to emptying out and cleaning them all.

I've just gone out to hang some washing and have noticed that under the weeds in one of the long planters there are daffodils starting to sprout. I thought it was maybe one or two but on a closer inspection it looks like they fill the whole planter so maybe 20-30. I'm so thrilled! Hoping I can enjoy them in the planter this year and then move the bulbs into the ground. Easily pleased 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Just ordered a Desdemona potted shrub Rose from David Austin and it should arrive within 5 days. I have a large pot for it however it's full of tulip bulbs currently, will the Rose last in its current plastic pot until ready to pot up once the tulips have finished in around May? I ordered it quite early because I wanted it last year but it sold out by April

Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any recommendations for a shaded border? Ideally with some height but takes care of itself.

Just ordered a Desdemona potted shrub Rose from David Austin and it should arrive within 5 days. I have a large pot for it however it's full of tulip bulbs currently, will the Rose last in its current plastic pot until ready to pot up once the tulips have finished in around May? I ordered it quite early because I wanted it last year but it sold out by April
I’ve bought a few from David Austin, funnily enough the new brochure arrived today. March until May is quite a long time to leave it in its pot, although roses are very hardy. You could always email customer services and see what they say.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I do all my veg in planters and pots, I didn't managed a clear out pre-winter last year due to a bad accident (broke my back). My husband hates gardening so I did a shout out to my road's WhatsApp for kids wanting pocket money. I had such a fun day on Saturday with a lovely 11 year old girl who is such a grafter! She was really happy with the £10 an hour, and keeps the husband happy! She is coming back at the end of March to plant my spuds and onions as I cannot bend.

I have some spare extra large rectangular pots so she is going to have her own to take home with her. I'd rather pay and spend time with a lovely and enthusiastic kid than a grumpy husband! He would help me, but I now have a little apprentice.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’ve bought a few from David Austin, funnily enough the new brochure arrived today. March until May is quite a long time to leave it in its pot, although roses are very hardy. You could always email customer services and see what they say.
Agreed. Customer services are really good over at DA too they’ll be able to advise
---
Does anyone have any recommendations for a shaded border? Ideally with some height but takes care of itself.
I have a shaded border/area but things aren’t fully grown yet. I’ve had success with a holly bush transferred from elsewhere. Had a problem with the soil for a good while. Hardy Geranium Rozanne has done very well there, they’re lovely but not tall. What about some ferns? I got a fatsia japionica last year for a shaded area but it’s potted at the moment good in shade.

Lovely sun this afternoon, I have planted some tomato and cucumber seeds. Really need it to stay dry to cut the grass!

Reactions: 4
So excited to jet wash the patio this week and then it's all systems go! Got so many seedlings but they all look so tiny I'm panicking a little 😬

Do you think once we get a bit of sunshine things will start to take off?

Cut my grass last Thursday and need to do lots of other jobs but it hasn’t stopped raining. Forecast looks slightly better next few days. My driveway needs a jet wash too! I have a few lupins to plant in the ground too.

Reactions: 4
I'm so looking forward to getting going with the garden 🙂 Ive only been gardening a couple of years but I find it such a satisfying and rewarding hobby. Our local homebase has just closed down which is really sad as I used to love buying the reduced plants from there and nurturing them back to life.

Reactions: 7
I'm so looking forward to getting going with the garden 🙂 Ive only been gardening a couple of years but I find it such a satisfying and rewarding hobby. Our local homebase has just closed down which is really sad as I used to love buying the reduced plants from there and nurturing them back to life.
Love the corner of doom in the garden centre 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Sowed some seeds yesterday I normally do wildflowers and sunflowers all in pots. I did some poppies but I've never done them before, think I sprinkled way too many seeds as it just looked like dust when it came out. Lavender growing, rose growing, first flower on my anemone. Last of the daffs in flower. Tulips doing good. I need to order some.soil though as lots of potting up to do

Reactions: 8
My little apple & cherry trees have started flowering, we got about 20 small apples last year but only 1 solitary cherry fruit (which a blackbird promptly stole) 😁
Cherry
20230420_155424.jpg

Apple
20230420_155355.jpg

• Heart
Our cherry tree has finally bloomed as well despite the best efforts of two fat arse pigeons trying to strip the buds. We lose the majority of the fruit to birds as well 😭 the blackbirds just come in and throw them on the floor and the fat pigeon pair land on the branches and knock the cherries off!

Reactions: 1
Ive planted potatoes, onions, lettuce, courgettes so far. Tje rest of my garden is low maintenance so a quick tidy up and Mr will cut the grass later today.

Wish the temperature would hurry up and get warmer, everything is so slow in my greenhouse 😭

Wish the temperature would hurry up and get warmer, everything is so slow in my greenhouse 😭
Same, I have resorted to putting warm water in plastic bottles in my cold frame. I’ve tried looking for the heater lamps but they all need mains electricity.

I have sweetcorn, courgettes, tomatoes, cucumber, onions and earlies that are all doing ok. I now have seconds in. My peas, lettuce and swede got destroyed by the dogs digging up to eat the chicken manure so they’ve gone in again.