Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I only had one seed germinate each for cucumber, green courgette and yellow courgette. I think I planted 4 or 5 of each which usually gives me 3 plants of each so I have spares but no spares this year. I think many people are having poor germination this year. Don’t know if it’s the seeds or the compost.
I was reading earlier that peat free compost in particular is producing poor results this year . I will see if I can find the article.

Reactions: 1
I was reading earlier that peat free compost in particular is producing poor results this year . I will see if I can find the article.
I switched to peat free this year and a lot of my seeds either haven’t germinated, or have just taken ages to get to planting out size!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Anyone else had such heavy rain for hour after hour that their garden was flattened? I hope it bounces back

Will an apple tree grow in shade? Because of the orientation of my garden the best place for it to go is in a north facing corner 🤔

Will an apple tree grow in shade? Because of the orientation of my garden the best place for it to go is in a north facing corner 🤔
It will struggle a lot. If you do ever manage to ever get fruit they will be pretty tasteless. I think they need at least 6 hours of full sun to produce decent fruit.

I put one in a large tub last year and it's thriving in a corner of the patio, lots of fruit on it.
I feed it occasionally with a capful of plant food in water. I have it in a southeast facing spot.
Is yours in a pot/tub?

Hi all. Just found the thread and started reading - some great tips. I am getting to grips slowly but surely with my first garden. Great fun and rewarding and constantly learning! A friend told me to just get stuck in which was great advice.

Wondering if anyone has tried solarization for weeds?

Reactions: 2
is anyone growing cucumbers? 🥒

i have a problem with mine, they start growing then they go black and dry, the leaves are going yellow and falling off yet the ground doesn't seem dry at all ☹

Sorry if this has been asked before, I have a ground floor flat with a small balcony, North East facing, so I get sun in the morning until about 10/11 (in summer) are there any vegetables I could grow here? (I have a few longish plant pots I thought I could use for lettuce etc but no idea if it would be viable with the lack of all day sun) Also I live in the UK so sun is never guaranteed anyway!

is anyone growing cucumbers? 🥒

i have a problem with mine, they start growing then they go black and dry, the leaves are going yellow and falling off yet the ground doesn't seem dry at all ☹
Apparently you need to hardly water them. Mine are slowly growing

Yesterday I harvested my first strawberry! Just the one so far but it was delicious. Homegrown have so much more flavour than shop bought.
Yes, I’m the saddo who took a photo! 😆

66F1A73C-6643-404F-9988-636FB0259EEE.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Woohoo finnaly repotted the tomatoes and jalapeños today. Haven't had the time yet but now it's done! Looking good so far! Also the rhubarb has 6 huge stalks and there's still more coming but traditionally we don't harvest it after June 24th here. Gonna make some rhubarb strawberry jam this weekend!

The redcurrants are also ready and so tasty 🤤 and the raspberries are going mental, they've taken over the whole bed 😅 gonna dig them out in autum and put them in a pot as I think they'll overtake the whole garden if I let them...

The slugs those fuckers have razed my kohlrabi and one of the fennels, and my spinach and radishes. But the coffe grounds seem to be helping my cucumbers and sweet peas, so, thanks for the tip!!!

Now I just need to figure out a trellis for my grapes...

Reactions: 2
Woohoo finnaly repotted the tomatoes and jalapeños today. Haven't had the time yet but now it's done! Looking good so far! Also the rhubarb has 6 huge stalks and there's still more coming but traditionally we don't harvest it after June 24th here. Gonna make some rhubarb strawberry jam this weekend!

The redcurrants are also ready and so tasty 🤤 and the raspberries are going mental, they've taken over the whole bed 😅 gonna dig them out in autum and put them in a pot as I think they'll overtake the whole garden if I let them...

The slugs those fuckers have razed my kohlrabi and one of the fennels, and my spinach and radishes. But the coffe grounds seem to be helping my cucumbers and sweet peas, so, thanks for the tip!!!

Now I just need to figure out a trellis for my grapes...
Wow, where are you? Must be a warmer climate than the UK!

My cucumber plant snapped last week. I tried to tape it together along with a splint but alas it’s no more. It’s a shame as that plant was further along than my others. I still have one mini cucumber plant and another one that is regular sized cucumbers but not much happening with those at the moment.
My hay fever has been dreadful this week so no gardening. 😕