Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We haven’t planted anything out in the allotment yet really. This time last year we had sweetcorn, peas, peppers, courgettes and all sorts growing already, I’d had my first crop of green beans!

potatoes are looking good though
D2CFA05F-C066-433B-B676-07E79F23FC74.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Currently growing: Mint, Dill, Parsley, Coriander, Basil, spinach, rocket and bell peppers.

I’ve got a little hydrangea bush with pansies round it, some sweet pea plants, cat grass for my gal and I’ve chucked down some wild flower bombs to help the 🐝 as well as last Christmas’ tree and a mini Xmas tree I’ve kept alive from b&q for like 2 years now.

I’m also attempting to grow lavender, bonsai and cacti from a seed. My favourite experiment/seeds I had were from the desert in Nevada. I was successfully growing a Joshua tree on my balcony in London. It was tiny but I was proud. One evening I was really drunk and smoking and knocked it off 💔

I’m not much of a designer and don’t know where things are placed to look good, but I do manage to keep things alive and growing which is super satisfying for me 🙂

Thank you for the lovely thread topic. wholesome AF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
C3175198-FE6B-4D6B-ADFC-E1537BE1958A.jpeg

There’s a bit of green bloom growing on the compost at the moment. I think it’s become too moist so I will take the propagator lid off and see if it can dry out a bit.

EA437185-11E6-4806-99FF-378FCD039854.jpeg
This is one of the baby lemon trees. The seedling has come out of its shell at a crooked angle and is now growing like this.. 😳 we’ll have to see how it turns out!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Some of our recent plantings seem to be surviving this unseasonably cold spell.
Made some makeshift tripods for the Sweet Pea plugs to climb up, out of some bbq skewer sticks 😀
View attachment 562130
Also put a Geranium, an Alpine, a Sea Lavender & a n other (can't recall the name) into a large tub.
View attachment 562133
Removed 5 Dogwoods which had got out of hand & actually burst through parts of the back fence, tidied fence up, collected some large stones from the local riverbank & stuck down bark chips & some shrubs in pots, maybe pick up another couple of pots to fill more space.
Just need to stop our dog piddling on every new plant pot 🙄🐶
View attachment 562139
You will need to protect your Geranium from frost at night. I don’t know which part of the country you live in, but if there is any chance of frost, that Geranium won’t survive.

Reactions: 2
You will need to protect your Geranium from frost at night. I don’t know which part of the country you live in, but if there is any chance of frost, that Geranium won’t survive.
Yes, thanks, we've been ok for frosts lately, weather has been quite mild & damp.
I've noticed some small buds/flowers appearing on the Geranium.
My Clematis is also going well in another part of the garden, when I get a chance I'll get a pic of it.
Thanks 👍

Reactions: 3
Yes, thanks, we've been ok for frosts lately, weather has been quite mild & damp.
I've noticed some small buds/flowers appearing on the Geranium.
My Clematis is also going well in another part of the garden, when I get a chance I'll get a pic of it.
Thanks 👍
Planted these Clematis about 6 years ago, nothing happened for about 3 years then they started appearing, quite strange.
I just put a cane behind & off they go, cut them back later in the year.
They seem to be going well this year again, fingers crossed.
20210518_123232.jpg

20210518_123315.jpg

Really happy with how my clematis is looking. We had our beds replanted with a few extra bits last month and this is thriving.
That type of fencing looks perfect for the clematis to climb over! I planted mine in front of a wall and now have to find some trellis and start drilling 😳

Reactions: 1
hi guys! Hope you don't mind me jumping in but has anyone ever successfully grown an avocado tree? I'm attempting to do it now but I think I'm gonna need a lot of patience 🥑

hi guys! Hope you don't mind me jumping in but has anyone ever successfully grown an avocado tree? I'm attempting to do it now but I think I'm gonna need a lot of patience 🥑
Never tried that, believe you can just put an avocado stone into a pot of moist compost though, and hopefully a shoot appears?
Would think that they'd need to be grown indoors for warmth, being South American.
Good luck with it 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Never tried that, believe you can just put an avocado stone into a pot of moist compost though, and hopefully a shoot appears?
Would think that they'd need to be grown indoors for warmth, being South American.
Good luck with it 👍
thank you! 😊

Reactions: 1
so we ended up building a raised bed for the balcony from palets, painting it and painting some buckets and it turned out pretty nice:

C42AD4CC-1050-456E-94EB-235C380965D6.jpeg

we have tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, mint, basil, dill, lavender, radish, spring onions...

and yesterday i noticed the first baby tomato 🍅😄

F654392F-44E8-43E4-BF97-8E5FC6D6F615.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 14
so we ended up building a raised bed for the balcony from palets, painting it and painting some buckets and it turned out pretty nice:

View attachment 580022

we have tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, mint, basil, dill, lavender, radish, spring onions...

and yesterday i noticed the first baby tomato 🍅😄
Where do you live? What a lovely view! I have been trying with spring onions but I planted them out as that's what it suggested on the seed packet for the time of year, but I've only got one wilted sprout. I read they like well drained soil and the weather here hasn't allowed for that! I'll try again next month.

Edit: just seen you have replied above about your lovely view

• Heart
I have two avocado stones I’m trying to grow and it really is taking patience! One I started in November, after a few weeks it grew a pretty decent root but it’s only started a leafy shoot out of the top this week. And the other I started last month, I hope it might be quicker than the first one seeing as it’s not over winter. I’ve done them using the method of having some toothpicks holding them in water (like this link here). Good luck!🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Well today it didn’t rain so after all of our seedlings getting blown over in the flimsy plastic greenhouse thanks to the wind, we decided to just go and plant everything out and hope for the the best!
So green beans, courgettes and beetroot went in today, fingers crossed!!
also how jealous am I of our neighbours rhubarb, it’s massive!
*edit - just cropped my photo cos didn’t realise bf was half in it - not that you can probably identify someone from their leg but you never know 😂
A893343C-535A-4AD3-821F-B03EC25A74B5.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 8