Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What’s the one tip everyone would give a beginner? Please and thanks 😃
Mine would be:
Really work on improving the quality of your soil. Digging over and adding compost, well rotted manure and mulch will make a huge difference.
Collect any leaves from trees in the autumn to make leaf mould / mulch
Level areas before you start creating the garden if it's a bit undulating

Reactions: 1
Aww, I have lots of berries but all still green. One of our cats is always in our garden, so ours are generally protected.
It's the only berry I had so far on four plants, the rest are tiny green things or flowers. Not sure how this one got on so quick.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Bloody ants have completely stripped my red currant bush for the second year in a row.

Why do they leave 1 currant to tease me?

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Finally got my first strawberry. I gave a plant to one of my neighbours with a little watering can for her toddler and theirs has loads! And she thought she would kill it. They are putting me to shame. Apparently he always asks to water it, and has kept all the strawberries for himself 😂

🍓

Attachments

Reactions: 6
Nipped out for a post work glass of wine. Ended up having to stay, keep trying to leave. I fear my young seedlings won’t do well with this rain.

Tried adding a video but it’s too large. Mega fat rain and hail.

Still blue skies up north and nothing forecast either so about to do my even pot watering ritual xx

Reactions: 2
I really need to get out into my greenhouse and sort it out. I’ve got flowers on one cucumber but everything is still in a tiny pot and I haven’t put my tomatoes in the ground yet either!

Going on holiday on Saturday for 10 days. I feel like everything in my garden is just about to peak and I'm going to miss the best of it 😢 almost makes me not want to go away. Plus I'll be worried about my container plants though we are forecast rain next week

• Heart
Going on holiday on Saturday for 10 days. I feel like everything in my garden is just about to peak and I'm going to miss the best of it 😢 almost makes me not want to go away. Plus I'll be worried about my container plants though we are forecast rain next week
Any chance you could move your pots into a more shaded area of the garden?
Give everything a good watering before you go. Do you have a neighbour that could pop over and water every few days for you if this hot weather continues?
Enjoy your holiday. 🙂

I am really lucky with going away. I have a few neighbours that grow a lot of veg like me, we swap seeds and plants, then take care of each others gardens (and cats!) whenever we are away.

We've had hardly any rain here (East Anglia) 😔 A couple of light showers earlier today and that's the first bit of rain for a couple of weeks. It was supposed to be thunderstorms but somehow we missed it again. My plants are in desperate need of a good bit of rain, I try to minimise how much I water the garden as it feels very indulgent in what is effectively a drought.

Our waterbutts are nearly all empty - two standard-sized ones are completely empty, we have another standard one and a huge tank that are getting there.

My statice are sending up their flower stems now!

Got my little helper from up the road coming tomorrow to help with weeding and repotting tomorrow. I had a telling off from my surgeon this week for doing too much. She started as a help out to me after I did a shout out to our roads What's App and now she is like my little apprentice with her own veg patch at home. She is only 11 bless her and lovely company.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I harvested my Red Onions yesterday, I planted 12 and ended up with 7, all no bigger than when I planted them 😂

Where did I go wrong?? 😩