Northern Ireland #22 The Good Friday Arraignment

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finished Year 14 in 2020 (abruptly), and went to an all girls Belfast Catholic school. I want to say our RSE education was a lot better than others but had so many gaps.

I think my school was a lot different in terms of accepting different viewpoints, but still lacked in some places.

My biggest issue was around the lack of education on periods. I was ravaged with migraines as a teenager every time I had a period and I was sick for days when I was menstruating. We weren't given any sort of idea on how to control it or that you shouldn't feel insane pain during it. The only birth control that existed was condoms and the pill, but nothing on the coil or implant or anything similar. Had I been informed of these options years ago, I could've prevented myself from getting sick as much as I did. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 3
I'm all for good sex and relationship education at school. I was at a mixed Catholic grammar in the 90s in Belfast and (think I posted about this before) our RSE was atrocious and we were taught outright lies like it was impossible to get pregnant through rape as the trauma would cause your body to reject the pregnancy.

I believed this for years and felt really angry when I discovered we'd been taught lies. The reasoning behind teaching this was so that if you did get raped and went to the hospital, the doctors would tell us to take a small white pill to stop pregnancy and we should refuse to take it as it wasn't needed. I vividly remember this being explained. We were taught never to use contraception and to use the rhythm method after we got married.

We were also forced to watch traumatising videos about abortion.

I know friends at other Catholic schools had a very different experience and had much better education, even from nuns as teachers.

So I do think giving schools leeway is dangerous.
You’ve mentioned before you were taught by a priests .I’d never heard of that before in NI only the Christian Brothers from way back in the 50’s how on earth were they teaching SE like that in modern day NI 🙄 we weren’t even taught about rape let alone how to get rid of a pregnancy, that school seems like something from the dark ages hopefully it’s been closed down or brought into this century.
---
I finished Year 14 in 2020 (abruptly), and went to an all girls Belfast Catholic school. I want to say our RSE education was a lot better than others but had so many gaps.

I think my school was a lot different in terms of accepting different viewpoints, but still lacked in some places.

My biggest issue was around the lack of education on periods. I was ravaged with migraines as a teenager every time I had a period and I was sick for days when I was menstruating. We weren't given any sort of idea on how to control it or that you shouldn't feel insane pain during it. The only birth control that existed was condoms and the pill, but nothing on the coil or implant or anything similar. Had I been informed of these options years ago, I could've prevented myself from getting sick as much as I did. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Isn’t that a medical thing as opposed SE ? We were taught the basics of fertilisation and how body changes occur etc, nothing about PMT or hormonal side effects, certainly weren’t made to watch abortion vids like the person above.
---

---
I just think being so vague is the issue and surprised alliance are jumping on this as their priority given that it has been so controversial elsewhere.

I remember back when I was in school- probs just under 25 years ago I think our biology teacher was doing one of those type of classes. Girl said something like you can’t say no if a boy was interested. He was horrified and so were half the class and we all said yes you can. And that was before any official consent training, we knew what was right and wrong.
I think school is a source of information as opposed a guiding light, all families are different.
---
I don’t know anything about Alliance or their views on social issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
So does he to be fair. I would still.
---

Wondering how this will play out. If I was her…. And I have no idea of the actual specifics I would be distancing myself completely. This is another case where I am going to have to time potential jury duty with a holiday so I don’t get near it.
He looks better than her tbf…When I was on jury duty a person had to prove their mother had passed away to be excused.

Last edited:
He looks better than her tbf…When I was on jury duty a person had to prove their mother had passed away to be excused.
Wild. I always liked the ide of jury duty but lately there are so many very controversial things due to social media it would be a nightmare.

Wild. I always liked the ide of jury duty but lately there are so many very controversial things due to social media it would be a nightmare.
It’s very boring tbh😫…The courtroom is the highlight but that’s after long days being locked in a room and having a guard follow you to the toilet.

I'm all for good sex and relationship education at school. I was at a mixed Catholic grammar in the 90s in Belfast and (think I posted about this before) our RSE was atrocious and we were taught outright lies like it was impossible to get pregnant through rape as the trauma would cause your body to reject the pregnancy.

I believed this for years and felt really angry when I discovered we'd been taught lies. The reasoning behind teaching this was so that if you did get raped and went to the hospital, the doctors would tell us to take a small white pill to stop pregnancy and we should refuse to take it as it wasn't needed. I vividly remember this being explained. We were taught never to use contraception and to use the rhythm method after we got married.

We were also forced to watch traumatising videos about abortion.

I know friends at other Catholic schools had a very different experience and had much better education, even from nuns as teachers.

So I do think giving schools leeway is dangerous.
That is absolutely shocking! 🫤

So does he to be fair. I would still.
---

Wondering how this will play out. If I was her…. And I have no idea of the actual specifics I would be distancing myself completely. This is another case where I am going to have to time potential jury duty with a holiday so I don’t get near it.
What do you mean? This kind of makes it sound like you think she should distance herself because he’s accused of heinous crimes and she’s done nothing wrong. The accusation is that she’s complicit (aiding and abetting 🤢). If I were her I’d be searching my conscience and doing the right thing by the (alleged) victims, albeit too little too late.

Reactions: 2
What do you mean? This kind of makes it sound like you think she should distance herself because he’s accused of heinous crimes and she’s done nothing wrong. The accusation is that she’s complicit (aiding and abetting 🤢). If I were her I’d be searching my conscience and doing the right thing by the (alleged) victims, albeit too little too late.
Yeah, sorry that wasn’t how it was meant to come across. What I mean is we don’t know the specifics of her involvement. There could potentially be an element of coercion? What I mean is her legal team (assuming she has separate ones than him) should be saying no to it.
it’s this week when they actually do the court thing isn’t it? I assume there will be more specifics about the charges and the involvement.

Yeah, sorry that wasn’t how it was meant to come across. What I mean is we don’t know the specifics of her involvement. There could potentially be an element of coercion? What I mean is her legal team (assuming she has separate ones than him) should be saying no to it.
it’s this week when they actually do the court thing isn’t it? I assume there will be more specifics about the charges and the involvement.
Wednesday but I think there could be a reporting ban because of the high profile nature of it? I guess there’s nothing to say there wasn’t coercion but as a mother I just know that nothing and nobody could make me stay with an (alleged) rapist and abuser. It’s not like he was a stay at home type and there was no opportunity to get the children into the car and flee. I think her defence (and his) will be absolute denial.

Reactions: 5
Wednesday but I think there could be a reporting ban because of the high profile nature of it? I guess there’s nothing to say there wasn’t coercion but as a mother I just know that nothing and nobody could make me stay with an (alleged) rapist and abuser. It’s not like he was a stay at home type and there was no opportunity to get the children into the car and flee. I think her defence (and his) will be absolute denial.
Yeah. I suppose I don’t want to believe a mother was actively involved. I think you are right about reporting ban as he is so high profile and it is unfair on the alleged victims too. I really wasn’t expecting this story to appear this year tbh.

Reactions: 2