Northern Ireland #22 The Good Friday Arraignment

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Saw that earlier, same type of ritual as the soldier.
---
Like what ? Is what I’d like to know, don’t see how SE has anything to do with relationships? That’s something you have to build with your partner.
What are they specifically asking for?

Don’t know? Hopefully not starting that woke nonsense in our schools.
That's not what woke means.

And given DUP have the education brief I doubt kids will be given the benefit of being taught about sexuality and consent. Not enough fire, brimstone, or creationism.

Reactions: 3
That's not what woke means.

And given DUP have the education brief I doubt kids will be given the benefit of being taught about sexuality and consent. Not enough fire, brimstone, or creationism.
What do you mean taught about sexuality? Don’t people develop their own preferences? What can they teach them?

Reactions: 2
Right somebody help me get up to speed with big Maureen. So the “bonkers crew” 🙄 ditched him because he posted a video of one of them parked in a disabled bay while he was in the barbers. Anyone know which one? Now they’ve recruited Black Paddy for their raft race and given Big Mo the shove so he made a racist comment about Black Paddy and the bonkers crew posted to Facebook to say they’ve washed their hands of him/want nothing to do with him.

I see all the comments have been deleted off MrChangs page, it was madness lastnight 😂

Maybe they are going to teach about healthy relationships using the famous ebook from Sinead Hegarty

Jokes aside, that kind of education could be good, to learn that people shouldn’t control you etc etc

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Maybe they are going to teach about healthy relationships using the famous ebook from Sinead Hegarty

Jokes aside, that kind of education could be good, to learn that people shouldn’t control you etc etc
Maybe I’m on my own but I instil those type of things into my children, I’d never rely on the school to teach them right from wrong.

Reactions: 5
Maybe I’m on my own but I instil those type of things into my children, I’d never rely on the school to teach them right from wrong.
I get your point but unfortunately not every child has caring, responsible parents at home.

Reactions: 7
I get your point but unfortunately not every child has caring, responsible parents at home.
No they don’t ,but shouldn’t that be separate to SE ? In what way would it change how you form relationships/ preferences?

Agree with this, not every child will get that parental guidance. And hopefully if there is a focus on important issues of consent it can only have a positive impact. SexEd has always been taught in school, though in our school (all girls) there was a heavy focus around menstruation and just the biological side of things.

I don’t think it needs to go into topics about gender changes or even sexuality but education around respect, consent and education about how online videos are not real life is important. Also online safety for what you share online around sex too.

The world has changed so much since I was a teen - anything in school that normalises an open dialogue around sex and online safety is only a good thing in my eyes. There has been a strong shame associated with discussion of it in this country and that only adds to the mystique of the topics

I have nephews & nieces who are early teens and it is shocking what some of them are already being exposed to in school via friends showing them videos or images on their phones.

Reactions: 7
I wasn’t given any guidance at home, the lack made a big impact on my choices and what I thought was acceptable or my fault

Its complicated for sure but some education could help, if it’s done right

Reactions: 5
It depends what the education is? That was my original point. What do they mean by inclusive?

Reactions: 1
I went to an all girls catholic grammar and we did the science bit in biology class then in RE we did all the relationships, love etc part. I think the two definitely go hand in hand and many children don’t come from healthy backgrounds so they have no idea what a relationship should be like.

Reactions: 3
I just think being so vague is the issue and surprised alliance are jumping on this as their priority given that it has been so controversial elsewhere.

I remember back when I was in school- probs just under 25 years ago I think our biology teacher was doing one of those type of classes. Girl said something like you can’t say no if a boy was interested. He was horrified and so were half the class and we all said yes you can. And that was before any official consent training, we knew what was right and wrong.

I'm all for good sex and relationship education at school. I was at a mixed Catholic grammar in the 90s in Belfast and (think I posted about this before) our RSE was atrocious and we were taught outright lies like it was impossible to get pregnant through rape as the trauma would cause your body to reject the pregnancy.

I believed this for years and felt really angry when I discovered we'd been taught lies. The reasoning behind teaching this was so that if you did get raped and went to the hospital, the doctors would tell us to take a small white pill to stop pregnancy and we should refuse to take it as it wasn't needed. I vividly remember this being explained. We were taught never to use contraception and to use the rhythm method after we got married.

We were also forced to watch traumatising videos about abortion.

I know friends at other Catholic schools had a very different experience and had much better education, even from nuns as teachers.

So I do think giving schools leeway is dangerous.

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 8