New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looking for some advice please! My little girl is 6 weeks and she’s got dry skin on her forehead and some spots on her face (I’ve googled and it looks like baby acne). Should I just leave it or would you recommend to use any products on it?
My baby had exactly the same around 5 weeks. Health visitor said they were milk spots.
She had so many.

Ladies, I think this is one of those “am I being unreasonable?” questions. So obviously we’ve not long had a baby, he is our fourth, and it’s definitely true that the more babies you have the fewer cards & gifts you get on their arrival. That doesn’t bother me in general, I don’t expect other people to really bother or be overly interested. However, I have realised that my MIL & FIL didn’t give us a card or a present this time. They are lovely people, great grandparents, and are generous people. They usually just send a card and a little cuddly toy- nothing major (they live 500 miles away) but just a little token. I thought they hadn’t this time and they’d bring it when they came to visit, but they never did. Not even a card. Now my SIL (their daughter) is about to have a baby and she lives elsewhere, and there has already been talk of what they are sending her. So we get nothing at all, and she will. I feel like it’s really unfair and I’m (irrationally?) annoyed that our baby wasn’t really acknowledged by them. Am I being silly?

Looking for some advice please! My little girl is 6 weeks and she’s got dry skin on her forehead and some spots on her face (I’ve googled and it looks like baby acne). Should I just leave it or would you recommend to use any products on it?
Dry skin I would maybe pop some moisturiser on, baby acne just leave. Usually starts at 6 weeks and is gone in 2-3 weeks 😊 all mine had them, some pretty badly, but they totally disappear

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Ladies, I think this is one of those “am I being unreasonable?” questions. So obviously we’ve not long had a baby, he is our fourth, and it’s definitely true that the more babies you have the fewer cards & gifts you get on their arrival. That doesn’t bother me in general, I don’t expect other people to really bother or be overly interested. However, I have realised that my MIL & FIL didn’t give us a card or a present this time. They are lovely people, great grandparents, and are generous people. They usually just send a card and a little cuddly toy- nothing major (they live 500 miles away) but just a little token. I thought they hadn’t this time and they’d bring it when they came to visit, but they never did. Not even a card. Now my SIL (their daughter) is about to have a baby and she lives elsewhere, and there has already been talk of what they are sending her. So we get nothing at all, and she will. I feel like it’s really unfair and I’m (irrationally?) annoyed that our baby wasn’t really acknowledged by them. Am I being silly?

Dry skin I would maybe pop some moisturiser on, baby acne just leave. Usually starts at 6 weeks and is gone in 2-3 weeks 😊 all mine had them, some pretty badly, but they totally disappear
No I don’t think your being silly. Personally I think all grandchildren should be treated equally whatever number they are as it’s just not fair.

my fil didn’t bother for our second not even seen her, my husband asked him about it last week and the response was he’s over grandkids now (she’s #16) that’s not herfault and it’s not fair.

easier said than done by try not to take it personally

• Heart

No, not at all. 4th child or not, you’ve gone through a major life event. I’d expect a card at least from MIL and FIL!

MIL hasn’t bought a card or a gift for my boy yet she’s just bought herself a boat! 🙄 So that’s pissed me off. She also kicked up a fuss that she wasn’t the first to know he was born, we had much bigger things to think about since I had a very traumatic birth where we both could have died, so maybe she’s still pissed off about that!

I’ve kept tabs on who’s bought what, and generally just been there for support, sorry if that makes me sound entitled 😂 but I’m keeping all cards for his keepsake box and I always go out my way to buy people I’m close to cards and gifts when there’s a new baby.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
No I don’t think your being silly. Personally I think all grandchildren should be treated equally whatever number they are as it’s just not fair.

my fil didn’t bother for our second not even seen her, my husband asked him about it last week and the response was he’s over grandkids now (she’s #16) that’s not herfault and it’s not fair.

easier said than done by try not to take it personally
Oh my gosh that’s awful 😨

No, not at all. 4th child or not, you’ve gone through a major life event. I’d expect a card at least from MIL and FIL!

MIL hasn’t bought a card or a gift for my boy yet she’s just bought herself a boat! 🙄 So that’s pissed me off. She also kicked up a fuss that she wasn’t the first to know he was born, we had much bigger things to think about since I had a very traumatic birth where we both could have died, so maybe she’s still pissed off about that!

I’ve kept tabs on who’s bought what, and generally just been there for support, sorry if that makes me sound entitled 😂 but I’m keeping all cards for his keepsake box and I always go out my way to buy people I’m close to cards and gifts when there’s a new baby.
Ahhh has to save her money for her boat instead 🙄🙄🙄

Thanks ladies, glad I’m not being OTT by being offended. But also sorry that so many others are being treated badly too 😒

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I would definitely be annoyed if my in laws did this! Surely they'd want to buy the baby something! Maybe when you next talk to them and they ask what you've been up to, you could say you've been writing thank-you cards to everyone that bought baby something ;)

• Haha

No I don’t think your being silly I’d be miffed too. I just had my first baby in March and usually everyone that has their first baby in our family everyone would buy a present or at least give a card, everyone gave us a card/present besides one of my cousins, barely even got a congratulations which I think is rude, not as bad as grandparents though, but I always buy a present for the 1st baby any babies after that I usually don’t but always will for the first one

• Heart
I would definitely be annoyed if my in laws did this! Surely they'd want to buy the baby something! Maybe when you next talk to them and they ask what you've been up to, you could say you've been writing thank-you cards to everyone that bought baby something ;)
Love it!!! I may well do!

No I don’t think your being silly I’d be miffed too. I just had my first baby in March and usually everyone that has their first baby in our family everyone would buy a present or at least give a card, everyone gave us a card/present besides one of my cousins, barely even got a congratulations which I think is rude, not as bad as grandparents though, but I always buy a present for the 1st baby any babies after that I usually don’t but always will for the first one
Oh that’s so strange of your cousin, I wonder why sometimes people just decide they aren’t gonna bother? What makes the difference that one time?

My Mum didn't with this baby either. I don't expect gifts but the other 2 she was constantly wanting to see them, buying cute outfits, everything.(until the baby stage ended that is)
This time, she only sees her every few weeks, if that and that's only if I lug all 3 kids round there by myself

• Sad
  • Heart

This would piss me off too. We are on baby 2 and already notable how many people not bothered or have met her once and then dropped off the radar.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Deffo not being silly. My partners sister didn’t even send us a card when we had our baby in January. Yes we were in a lockdown but she works in a supermarket so no excuse for not being able to buy one. Wouldn’t expect a present off them as this is our 3rd child and they don’t have any yet. But I was disappointed to not even get a card.

I kept a list of who’d sent what so I could send out thank you cards and knew I wouldn’t remember when it came to writing them. I’ve got a little box for each child with cards and stuff in.

• Heart
Well; that’s £250 down on a Joie swivel car seat! Thank you for the advice the other day. Wondering why I didn’t just buy this in the first place as it has a newborn insert 🧐
I’ve downloaded a couple of baby weaning books tonight, for future reference. I’m not nervous really, I’m just confused about when and where I reduce his milk feeds. Saying that, I thought that about when I was trying to get baby into a routine and it kind of just gradually happened 🤷🏻‍♀️
one thing I will say,and I hope I don’t offend anyone but I can’t get over the stuff that is marketed for weaning. I saw this thing earlier by a company called “Beaba”(?) oh mygoodness it’s so expensive!!! Like £160 for a steamer and blender 😳😳😳 I’ve added a steamer and a blender into my Amazon basket and it’s come to about 30 quid!

Well; that’s £250 down on a Joie swivel car seat! Thank you for the advice the other day. Wondering why I didn’t just buy this in the first place as it has a newborn insert 🧐
I’ve downloaded a couple of baby weaning books tonight, for future reference. I’m not nervous really, I’m just confused about when and where I reduce his milk feeds. Saying that, I thought that about when I was trying to get baby into a routine and it kind of just gradually happened 🤷🏻‍♀️
one thing I will say,and I hope I don’t offend anyone but I can’t get over the stuff that is marketed for weaning. I saw this thing earlier by a company called “Beaba”(?) oh mygoodness it’s so expensive!!! Like £160 for a steamer and blender 😳😳😳 I’ve added a steamer and a blender into my Amazon basket and it’s come to about 30 quid!
I wish we’d used the spin seat from newborn too! That’s one baby hear regret I have.

Like you say, you’ll fall in to the routine of feeding and reducing milk feeds, it will all come together naturally for you when you see him changing his patterns. I honestly wouldn’t worry at all. It’s easy to say though, I remember how worried I was about weaning, but it actually isn’t a big deal at all when you do it, afterwards k remember thinking “what was I so worried about?!”

I wish we’d used the spin seat from newborn too! That’s one baby hear regret I have.

Like you say, you’ll fall in to the routine of feeding and reducing milk feeds, it will all come together naturally for you when you see him changing his patterns. I honestly wouldn’t worry at all. It’s easy to say though, I remember how worried I was about weaning, but it actually isn’t a big deal at all when you do it, afterwards k remember thinking “what was I so worried about?!”
From what I see/hear I get the impression that a lot of parents worry about choking hazards.. which I totally get! It’s more the mess that I’m going to have to just cope with 😂 I’ve got visions of spaghetti being thrown down my walls ahaha

Reactions: 1
From what I see/hear I get the impression that a lot of parents worry about choking hazards.. which I totally get! It’s more the mess that I’m going to have to just cope with 😂 I’ve got visions of spaghetti being thrown down my walls ahaha
🤣 yes I think that spaghetti worry is a big one, I dunno why we all have that?! But I can’t honestly say we’ve never had any food down the walls - not by a child anyway. I’ve splatted them a fair few times 🙈 rice is one of my least faves for mess. It just goes everywhere 😩

🤣 yes I think that spaghetti worry is a big one, I dunno why we all have that?! But I can’t honestly say we’ve never had any food down the walls - not by a child anyway. I’ve splatted them a fair few times 🙈 rice is one of my least faves for mess. It just goes everywhere 😩
I’ll remember that about rice 😂

I get what you mean we’re onto week 2 of weaning! It’s like you’re given all this knowledge for looking after a newborn and then you’re just on your own 🤣
But I think we’re getting somewhere we kind of work like this roughly too give you a gage.. it’s working for us for now god knows if we’re doing it “right” 🤣 baby is on 7oz and sometimes she eats food sometimes she doesn’t, sometimes she wants an extra bottle in there too!
7am bottle
8:15 baby porridge
11.30 bottle
3:30 bottle
5pm puréed veggies of sorts
7:15 bed bottle

• Heart
This is random but did anybody buy any baby stuff based on recommendations from people and it ended up being crap and it now it just sits there and feels like a complete waste of money 😂 I was recommended the dr browns bottles spent £40 on the set and the steriliser, steriliser doesn’t fit in the microwave and the bottles where decent but where a pain in the ass to clean so I ended up switching to MAM bottles about 2 and a half months in and wish I’d have just gotten them from the start so much easier to clean and my daughter has reflux and she hasn’t been anywhere near as bad since we switched her bottles just feel like we’ve wasted so much money on stuff 😅😅 my friend also bought us a £40 nappy bin and I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but we’ve never once used it it’s just unnecessary 🙈🙈

This is random but did anybody buy any baby stuff based on recommendations from people and it ended up being crap and it now it just sits there and feels like a complete waste of money 😂 I was recommended the dr browns bottles spent £40 on the set and the steriliser, steriliser doesn’t fit in the microwave and the bottles where decent but where a pain in the ass to clean so I ended up switching to MAM bottles about 2 and a half months in and wish I’d have just gotten them from the start so much easier to clean and my daughter has reflux and she hasn’t been anywhere near as bad since we switched her bottles just feel like we’ve wasted so much money on stuff 😅😅 my friend also bought us a £40 nappy bin and I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but we’ve never once used it it’s just unnecessary 🙈🙈
I think we’ve probably all been there. With my first we had so much stuff we thought we needed and realistically we didn’t use half of it. The Bumbo is an example - absolutely stupid piece of kit that was all the rage when I had my first. Some people loved them but i did not 😬

I got given a nappy bin with my second and so many people told me how useful it was.
Never used it.
So much easier to grab a nappy bag and throw it in the bin!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.