New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nothing fucks me off more than other mums smugly & gleefully saying ‘just you wait….’ Like they’re revealing in my naivety. None of the ‘just you waits’ have happened yet and while I fully understand there will be hard times, let me enjoy my ‘easy’ baby without constantly waiting and watching for some terrible next stage. It’s honestly like a competition over who has it the worst.

Regarding family not really being interested… my cousin is a crypto millionaire. In the recent high high they cashed out £10m, got 2 properties and two cars at £150k each. They didn’t bother to visit to meet the baby or even send flowers but managed bring the new car round to show it off. When I Wasn’t interested I was accused of being jealous. I honestly DGAF, I’m really happy for them, I love that they are successful, but send some bleeping flowers at least!!
Ugh I have a family member who has to have the fanciest cars etc and I know they think we are jealous when we aren’t interested/ but we just don’t care about their cars/boats/house!

Reactions: 2
And don’t even get me started on the amount of judgement you get if you’ve had a few extra minutes in the morning to run a brush through your hair and throw on a bit of makeup 1 day out of your whole week 😂 your seen as looking after yourself more than your child, no either my child was having a nap and I’d a bit of extra time or she stayed at her granny’s the night before so I had the morning to myself lol

Reactions: 7
When i had my first daughter and hear about people saying they haven’t showered or eaten or whatever and I had managed to do all that, I used to feel guilty because I thought it meant I had neglected my daughter and that’s why i could shower, when in reality she would have been asleep when i did all those thing lol

Reactions: 5
Baby is only just under 2 weeks so it’s still very early days, but now we’ve sorted out her latch and top her up with a little formula at about 11, she’s a very chilled content baby. She sleeps for 2-3 hours at a time, with the odd evening cluster feed and at the moment doesn’t cry loads. I can still shower and brush my hair and teeth. I hate being made to feel like I’m somehow neglecting her because I’m still able to (just about) take care of myself 😂 Of course it has its moments, she’s a baby - it’s not supposed to be easy! And of course I’m tired, but I’m not going to sit and complain endlessly about it for social media likes! Don’t get me wrong, it’s very early days so it may well all change but telling me that and making me feel bad for her being quite contented at the moment isn’t helpful at all?!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
When i had my first daughter and hear about people saying they haven’t showered or eaten or whatever and I had managed to do all that, I used to feel guilty because I thought it meant I had neglected my daughter and that’s why i could shower, when in reality she would have been asleep when i did all those thing lol
Exactly this I don’t understand how people don’t have the time to shower etc, can understand a bit more if your a single parent but my husband works 12 hr shifts 5/6 days a week and I still managed to get the time to shower it’s usually in the evening when my daughters asleep 🤷‍♀️ Of course your baby comes first and if your childs needs have been met there’s nothing wrong with taking a bit of time for yourself whether that’s to eat or shower you have to look after yourself too. I think that’s why so many feel like they’ve lost themselves after they’ve had a baby cause they never make time for themselves even if it’s only half an hr out of the day I’m sure you can get half a hr at some point like does your child never sleep lol

Reactions: 3
Exactly this I don’t understand how people don’t have the time to shower etc, can understand a bit more if your a single parent but my husband works 12 hr shifts 5/6 days a week and I still managed to get the time to shower it’s usually in the evening when my daughters asleep 🤷‍♀️ Of course your baby comes first and if your childs needs have been met there’s nothing wrong with taking a bit of time for yourself whether that’s to eat or shower you have to look after yourself too. I think that’s why so many feel like they’ve lost themselves after they’ve had a baby cause they never make time for themselves even if it’s only half an hr out of the day I’m sure you can get half a hr at some point like does your child never sleep lol
I’ve been feeling this, baby is now 7 weeks and I’m starting to feel physically ok after my section and want to go back to the gym (obvs still taking it slow) as I used to go almost everyday even in my last week of pregnancy and I’m starting to feel a bit down about myself and want to shift some fluff.

My partner says it’s totally fine and he has the baby covered but I feel really bad for some reason about doing something for myself even though it will make me feel 100x better!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve been feeling this, baby is now 7 weeks and I’m starting to feel physically ok after my section and want to go back to the gym (obvs still taking it slow) as I used to go almost everyday even in my last week of pregnancy and I’m starting to feel a bit down about myself and want to shift some fluff.

My partner says it’s totally fine and he has the baby covered but I feel really bad for some reason about doing something for myself even though it will make me feel 100x better!
I have a hobby I attend and it started up again when my daughter was 4 weeks old.
It's only once a week, sometimes only once every couple of weeks.
And I got questioned by so many people being there like.. Don't you have a baby?
Where's your baby? And kids?
Um? At home.. With their Dad?
It's literally 2 maybe 3 hours a week.
I always make sure the other 2 are in bed before I leave, even though he'd be fine otherwise.
But I get questioned about it by everyone as if I shouldn't have a few hours on my own every week or 2!

• Wow

Its defiantly hard not to feel guilty I understand, at the beginning the guilt ate me alive anytime I did something for myself, I still do feel guilty tbh but you need to look after your own mental health too, even if it’s only half an hr or an hr a day. I just started thinking/looking at it as I want to be in the best place mentally for my child happy mum happy baby ❤

Don’t feel bad, you need time for yourself, doing things that make you happy will make you a better happier mum in the long run, it will be a couple of hours of your day and will be good for your husband to have bonding time

• Heart
I follow an account on Instagram where the new mum posted about there being a terrible smell in her house, her and her husband spent ages going through the bin, cupboards etc to figure out what it was when they realised it was the mum!! She admitted to 50k followers she was absolutely buzzing as she hadn’t had time to shower in days! I’ve never understood it. My baby is 8 weeks old and I shower daily sometimes twice and do my make up every day. Spending 10 mins on myself everyday makes me feel really put together and more productive. Yes it’s hard and busy with a newborn but come on seriously.

Reactions: 6
I follow an account on Instagram where the new mum posted about there being a terrible smell in her house, her and her husband spent ages going through the bin, cupboards etc to figure out what it was when they realised it was the mum!! She admitted to 50k followers she was absolutely buzzing as she hadn’t had time to shower in days! I’ve never understood it. My baby is 8 weeks old and I shower daily sometimes twice and do my make up every day. Spending 10 mins on myself everyday makes me feel really put together and more productive. Yes it’s hard and busy with a newborn but come on seriously.
Was that OhInfertileMe? If not, they did the same, I couldn’t believe it! Especially as her husband is home all day with her so how does she not find time to shower?

Reactions: 1
I don’t understand it at all either, it takes 10 minutes if even to get a quick shower. I usually shower in the evening when my baby is asleep but if I decide I want a shower in the morning and my baby isn’t sleeping I put her in her bouncer and bring her into the bathroom with me and literally jump in and out it’s not hard 🤷‍♀️ I will say I don’t wear makeup everyday as I can’t be bothered doing it every single day tbh, I maybe wear makeup 2/3 days out of the week but my baby is usually either napping or I put her in the sling on me and she falls asleep usually so I just do my makeup, but I do get what you mean it does make you feel put together

I am a bit of a loser and don’t really have any hobbies except reading (and eating 🤣) but even if I think I need to bio to b&m I feel bad leaving my kids, I feel so guilty about it. Which is just so stupid! I am at home with them all the time, and I know nobody begrudges me an hour out (or longer) especially as it’s usually to get stuff for the bloody kids anyway 🤣 but mum guilt is so real.

Go to the gym and make that time for you. It’s obviously a hugely important part of your life, you don’t need to compromise on that just because you’ve had a baby x

• Heart
I agree with you all. I’ve had a really rough time this time round but mainly because of covid and my dad dying. Even amongst that and a newborn I manage to shower every morning and a bath most evenings. I have a 5 month old and 3 yr old and find quiet moments to myself. It helps I have a husband who despite being pretty useless can be left alone with them both for a little while or helps me by tag teaming them with me!

• Heart
Was that OhInfertileMe? If not, they did the same, I couldn’t believe it! Especially as her husband is home all day with her so how does she not find time to shower?
That’s the one. Actually turned me sick at the thought of it 🤢

Off topic but has anyone got any ideas of good ways to store baby stuff away so it doesn’t get mould on it or anything like anything to wrap it in etc? We stupidly didn’t keep the boxes for anything 🙈🙈 my girls gonna be too big for the likes of her swing/bouncer/next to me crib soon and I dunno how to store them so they don’t get damaged, hoping to have another baby in a few years time so will obviously reuse it all but didn’t think about that and threw out the boxes for everything 🙈🙈

Off topic but has anyone got any ideas of good ways to store baby stuff away so it doesn’t get mould on it or anything like anything to wrap it in etc? We stupidly didn’t keep the boxes for anything 🙈🙈 my girls gonna be too big for the likes of her swing/bouncer/next to me crib soon and I dunno how to store them so they don’t get damaged, hoping to have another baby in a few years time so will obviously reuse it all but didn’t think about that and threw out the boxes for everything 🙈🙈
Do you have an attic? We always have just stored things in there, never had an issue. We put larger items (like a bouncer) in a big black bin liner to keep it dust free.

That’s the one. Actually turned me sick at the thought of it 🤢
Yes the way she described it was pretty gross!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
We put all newish clothes we wanted to keep in those vacuum packs, all small toys in the plastic storages boxes and bigger stuff in bin bags, and then just made sure everything was throughly cleaned and washed when down from the attic.

^^ we also use vacuum bags for clothes.

I have a wee system whereby at the change of season (older kids) or as they outgrow them (younger ones/babies) I pop clothes out of their dressers and in to a big storage box under the bed in my daughter’s room. When it’s full, i decant it all in to the right vacuum bags (store by age, and by gender if applicable!) and they go up in to the attic.

^^ we also use vacuum bags for clothes.

I have a wee system whereby at the change of season (older kids) or as they outgrow them (younger ones/babies) I pop clothes out of their dressers and in to a big storage box under the bed in my daughter’s room. When it’s full, i decant it all in to the right vacuum bags (store by age, and by gender if applicable!) and they go up in to the attic.
The vacuum bags are a good idea for clothes I just ordered some off Amazon cause all her clothes that are currently too small are just sitting in our back room in a bin bag 😅 it’s mad how much of it they barely wear as well 😅

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.