New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey, I have had both! Pessary for my first and recently had a balloon with my second. Pessary worked straight away for me (though I know that's not always the case) but the contractions were so intense and felt like they were constant, so bad compared to the contractions I had with my second.
The balloon didn't actually work, it took two lots of the gel to get things going but I am glad I took the gentler option to begin with!
Oh thanks, I was leaning more towards the balloon if it comes to it, worth a try I suppose!

Every so often boots do £10 off points for every £50 you spend that and the points you gain make the swivel car seats really cheap it’s how I bought our joie 360 for my son. We always shop at boots so it’s easy to spend the points on nappies or Christmas presents etc

Reactions: 1
Already buying a new car seat, we’ve been using the one that came with the mamas and papas ocarro pram (cybex atom 5 I believe) and Jesus it’s a nightmare getting baba into it now 😳
I’m going to get a swivel chair - currently looking at the maxi cosi 360 but happy for any recommendations.
Also; anyone just find themselves shoving EVERYTHING in the loft lol? We won’t start trying for another baby for a couple of years but Im like hmm this will surely save a lot of money not having to buy all this again 😆
We have a cybex sirona whcih turns 360. At the time of buying it was the safest on the market.

Reactions: 2
Yep my little one is 4 months next week! He fits ok into it for now, but we just leave the car seat in the car, rather than carrying him in the car seat back into the house like we did when he was tiny. It’s soooo difficult getting him in and out 😩
loads of people have recommended the swivel ones! I’m going to look at mama’s and papas tomorrow as there is £80 off the swivel seat. Will let you know how I get on!
That would be great thank you so much! What age do the swivel seats go up to do you know?

Posted this in the pregnancy thread but figured you guys might have some more recent experience too!
Had the midwife today, getting offered a sweep in 2 weeks time 😬 also got given leaflets about induction, either an at home one (balloon) or the in patient one (pessary). Has anyone ever had either of them? Is one better than the other? Hopefully it won't come to that but I'd like to be prepared 😬
I had a pessary induction in January. This was baby number 3 for me but it was very quick. Induction started at 10pm, contractions started around 1am, baby born just after 4am.

I was really really nervous about being induced as most stories when you google are horror stories, but I did find quite a lot of positive stories too ☺

Already buying a new car seat, we’ve been using the one that came with the mamas and papas ocarro pram (cybex atom 5 I believe) and Jesus it’s a nightmare getting baba into it now 😳
I’m going to get a swivel chair - currently looking at the maxi cosi 360 but happy for any recommendations.
Also; anyone just find themselves shoving EVERYTHING in the loft lol? We won’t start trying for another baby for a couple of years but Im like hmm this will surely save a lot of money not having to buy all this again 😆
Another vote for the joke 360, I love ours, and I know lots of people who have it and never have heard a complaint.

stuff in the attic…we are now going the other way 😱 as this is our last and my sister is pregnant all of it is now slowly moving across to her house, never to return 😭😭😭😭😭 I keep thinking "I wonder should we get it back and save it for the grandkids?" 😂

Posted this in the pregnancy thread but figured you guys might have some more recent experience too!
Had the midwife today, getting offered a sweep in 2 weeks time 😬 also got given leaflets about induction, either an at home one (balloon) or the in patient one (pessary). Has anyone ever had either of them? Is one better than the other? Hopefully it won't come to that but I'd like to be prepared 😬
I had the pessary twice. It was fine, i have no complaints about it! It didn’t work with my first but did with my second.

That would be great thank you so much! What age do the swivel seats go up to do you know?
it's usually weight or height based, rather than age, they use age as a general reference but it’s not as accurate as the weight or height measurements they’ll give. I believe our joie 360 is up to 18kg. My 5.5yo son is only 19kg for reference (he is on the smaller side though). My 2y9mo is in our joie 360 now and will be until she is at least 4 as she is very petite, just 13kg atm.

I really recommend these guys if you have one locally, or else I believe they give advice over the phone. They also only sell top quality, super safe seats.

Last edited:
I had a pessary induction in January. This was baby number 3 for me but it was very quick. Induction started at 10pm, contractions started around 1am, baby born just after 4am.

I was really really nervous about being induced as most stories when you google are horror stories, but I did find quite a lot of positive stories too ☺
Yeah I'm quite scared to Google it 🙈 I'm really hoping she will come before then but it will be just my luck I need induced 🤣 can only hope its a quick one like yours!

I had the pessary twice. It was fine, i have no complaints about it! It didn’t work with my first but did with my second.
Glad to hear another positive, makes me less nervous about that being a possibility!

Yeah I'm quite scared to Google it 🙈 I'm really hoping she will come before then but it will be just my luck I need induced 🤣 can only hope its a quick one like yours!

Glad to hear another positive, makes me less nervous about that being a possibility!
I ended up on a drip with my first as the pessary wasn’t shifting her, and again it was fine. I mean, labour hurts 😂, but I managed it and my pain threshold is very low!! Don’t worry about induction at all, you hear awful things about how bad it is, and while I have no "natural" labour to compare it to, it really wasn’t so horrific. (Both actual births were a bit dodgy, but I think that was more due to the position of the babies - my son was back to back- rather than the induction)

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My contractions with my second natural labour were more painful than the induced contractions.

Good look, hopefully you won’t need it 💓 I was offered induction at 39 weeks which I declined so was booked in for when I was 40+2, went in a day late but I just wanted to not be pregnant anymore 🙈

Another vote for the joke 360, I love ours, and I know lots of people who have it and never have heard a complaint.

stuff in the attic…we are now going the other way 😱 as this is our last and my sister is pregnant all of it is now slowly moving across to her house, never to return 😭😭😭😭😭 I keep thinking "I wonder should we get it back and save it for the grandkids?" 😂

it's usually weight or height based, rather than age, they use age as a general reference but it’s not as accurate as the weight or height measurements they’ll give. I believe our joie 360 is up to 18kg. My 5.5yo son is only 19kg for reference (he is on the smaller side though). My 2y9mo is in our joie 360 now and will be until she is at least 4 as she is very petite, just 13kg atm.

I really recommend these guys if you have one locally, or else I believe they give advice over the phone. They also only sell top quality, super safe seats.
They all go by weight rather than age as @Definitelyme says.
My 3.5 year old hit the weight limit a few months ago as she's always been bigger! So it all depends 😊 usually between 3 and 4 though!

Just realised I replied to the wrong one but oh well 😂

• Haha
Oh thanks, I was leaning more towards the balloon if it comes to it, worth a try I suppose!
I had the balloon induction last month. I’d recommend it. It was a long process but with worked well considering I was a FTM at 37 weeks and my body really was not ready to go into labour.

The balloon was inserted (a bit uncomfortable) and removed (completely painless) 24 hours later. I was 4-5cm dilated by that point and ready for my waters to be broken.

It definitely did the job and I’d have it again if induction was required. Good luck!

• Heart
Hi ladies, I like to read here as well as be on the pregnancy thread. I've not heard of this balloon induction. I'm too scared to google but it's made me realise I need to up my research game as I feel clueless!

Hi ladies, I like to read here as well as be on the pregnancy thread. I've not heard of this balloon induction. I'm too scared to google but it's made me realise I need to up my research game as I feel clueless!
I asked my midwife about the balloon induction as hadn't heard of it until recently and was never discussed with me, she said it's mainly an option for people who have previously had a c-section. I hadn't at the time, so wasn't an option for me. 🤷‍♀️

I asked my midwife about the balloon induction as hadn't heard of it until recently and was never discussed with me, she said it's mainly an option for people who have previously had a c-section. I hadn't at the time, so wasn't an option for me. 🤷‍♀️
Oh that’s weird, I know a few people who have had it and never had a section. I suppose different trusts have different rules. Makes it hard for pregnant ladies to get good info sometimes

I know everybody says to stay positive and only read positive birth stories etc, which I do get, but honestly I read up on eveything, forceps, c sections, tears, inductions etc and ended up with a forceps delivery with a 4th degree tear and I honestly think if I hadn’t read up on it prior it would have been much more traumatic, it was a difficult experience dont get me wrong but because I knew what it was I feel like I was able to accept it a bit more, for me the more I knew the better

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I know everybody says to stay positive and only read positive birth stories etc, which I do get, but honestly I read up on eveything, forceps, c sections, tears, inductions etc and ended up with a forceps delivery with a 4th degree tear and I honestly think if I hadn’t read up on it prior it would have been much more traumatic, it was a difficult experience dont get me wrong but because I knew what it was I feel like I was able to accept it a bit more, for me the more I knew the better
I second this! When I was pregnant with my first, everyone told me to avoid the bad ones. But I wanted to know what things could happen!
It was better for myself reading it all!

Reactions: 4
I second this! When I was pregnant with my first, everyone told me to avoid the bad ones. But I wanted to know what things could happen!
It was better for myself reading it all!
Ok as soon as I've got my growth scan out the way this afternoon, I'm going searching for realistic stories! Thanks ladies x

Looking for some advice please! My little girl is 6 weeks and she’s got dry skin on her forehead and some spots on her face (I’ve googled and it looks like baby acne). Should I just leave it or would you recommend to use any products on it?

Looking for some advice please! My little girl is 6 weeks and she’s got dry skin on her forehead and some spots on her face (I’ve googled and it looks like baby acne). Should I just leave it or would you recommend to use any products on it?
A lot of people I know whose baby had that put some breast milk on it -that's an option if you're breastfeeding. We've used coconut oil and that's worked for us dry skin wise.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.