New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nursery chat.. how ‘big’ a room would you consider reasonable? I know the numbers are dictated by OFSTED. So each child must have so much space within a room.. but I was shocked when the lady yesterday said the baby room holds 30 babies. Size wise there’s plenty of space, but it just sounds very… overwhelming? I don’t know if I’m putting too much thought into it. I know school class sizes are probably around that size, it just seems a lot to go from at home alone/only child to a room full of 30 other kids😳
My two went to a small nursery as babies, as when I was picking for my first I liked that.
However this baby will be going to a much bigger nursery (my middle child goes there now) I don’t know how many babies are in the baby room as he hasn’t started yet but I much prefer the bigger nursery in terms of facilities and the things they do with them.
They’re often split into smaller groups to do things and so it’s not always as big groups.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I feel like bigger nursery classes tend to take
Small groups out more too, to break the numbers up a bit!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Nursery chat.. how ‘big’ a room would you consider reasonable? I know the numbers are dictated by OFSTED. So each child must have so much space within a room.. but I was shocked when the lady yesterday said the baby room holds 30 babies. Size wise there’s plenty of space, but it just sounds very… overwhelming? I don’t know if I’m putting too much thought into it. I know school class sizes are probably around that size, it just seems a lot to go from at home alone/only child to a room full of 30 other kids😳
Baby burrito starts later in the year and his nursery is small, they only take 9 babies, 12 toddlers and 16 pre-schoolers.

the ratio of staff to children is important too, ours is 1:3, 1:4 then 1:8.

Baby burrito starts later in the year and his nursery is small, they only take 9 babies, 12 toddlers and 16 pre-schoolers.

the ratio of staff to children is important too, ours is 1:3, 1:4 then 1:8.
My understanding from my visit is that the ratio is set by ofsted too as standard, as they’re exactly the same as what you’ve posted🥰
---
Thank you for the replies! I think I quite liked it so that was the only thing i came away ‘unsure’ about, however it seems to be roughly the same size rooms at all the local nurseries so he doesn’t have much choice🤣 I can always change if he hates it🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 2
Booked baby Skinny’s nursery place today and had to pay a weeks fees as a deposit to hold the place 🙃
She only starts next January but relieved to have gotten her place booked and now can forget about it until later this year.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Booked baby Skinny’s nursery place today and had to pay a weeks fees as a deposit to hold the place 🙃
She only starts next January but relieved to have gotten her place booked and now can forget about it until later this year.
That’s a lot! Don’t think I’ve ever paid more than the £200/£250 deposit. Which you then get back when they finish.
But at least you know she’s got a place as it seems hard to get right now! X

• Heart
That’s a lot! Don’t think I’ve ever paid more than the £200/£250 deposit. Which you then get back when they finish.
But at least you know she’s got a place as it seems hard to get right now! X
God, our deposit was £500 (you get it back when they leave) and a non-refundable £100 registration fee 🙃

• Wow
We paid £100 registration and £1450 (first month’s fee) before she was even born 🤦🏻‍♀️ they’re really making the most of the bun fight for nursery spaces.
When 5 was signed up for nursery we didn’t have any of this bullshit - they even waived the reg fee. SMDH.

ETA reading everyone else’s experience and just getting angrier!!! 🤦🏻‍♀️🫠🤦🏻‍♀️

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
Oh yeah I think there’s a registration fee. I swerved it with my middle one because even though I’d saved a space, they let us move the deposits across instead of getting it back as my eldest finished before he started.
I mean having done 3 years at £1500 a month, it wasn’t like we hadn’t given them enough money 😂😂

Reactions: 1
Ours is £60 registration fee, but we have to pay per hour for the settling sessions. Not sure if this is the same everywhere? That’s going to cost us probably £150 I think I worked it out to be 🫠

• Wow
Ours is £60 registration fee, but we have to pay per hour for the settling sessions. Not sure if this is the same everywhere? That’s going to cost us probably £150 I think I worked it out to be 🫠
Wow settling sessions at ours are offered free of charge 😳

• Heart
Wow settling sessions at ours are offered free of charge 😳
Yeah I thought this was the case tbh! Maybe that’s why the registration fee is low 🙃
we have our second session tomorrow, I’m not going in and I really hope it goes better than yesterdays!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
We didnt have to pay any registration fee or deposit for baby VTs nursery, all they wanted was the contract back and that secured her place. Im shocked at how much some of you had to pay!

Reactions: 6
when did you all leave your baby for a few hours for the first time? i cannot tell you how much a manicure and a root touch up would mean to me but baby frog is only 6 weeks (i’m also a single parent so dad won’t be helping) and my mum isn’t keen to take him yet as he’s ’too small’ apparently. watching him for an hour while i went to a hospital appointment was her limit it seems!
Baby fudge has been coming with me to have my nails done since he was about 2 weeks old😆 he’s either in the pram or in the sling! I left baby fudge for a few hours to go out for a meal with my friends when he was a few weeks old and at 9 weeks with my mum when I started going back to work one day a week so whenever you feel comfortable and if you have the help
It was hard for me at first but I had to go back to work and he starts nursery the week after next just one day a week so I can work another day and will only be 17 weeks old 🥺 but it will be good for him in the long run I think!
---
We didnt have to pay any registration fee or deposit for baby VTs nursery, all they wanted was the contract back and that secured her place. Im shocked at how much some of you had to pay!
Same with our nursery! And baby fudge’s settling in hour is free too

• Heart
when did you all leave your baby for a few hours for the first time? i cannot tell you how much a manicure and a root touch up would mean to me but baby frog is only 6 weeks (i’m also a single parent so dad won’t be helping) and my mum isn’t keen to take him yet as he’s ’too small’ apparently. watching him for an hour while i went to a hospital appointment was her limit it seems!
I can’t even think how hard it must be for you on your own! I left baby at 3 weeks to get my nails done. But a quick one colour gel and home. Less than an hour. We don’t have much support and so he’s 13 months and haven’t left him with anyone but my husband. I take him to hair appts because it’s easier to entertain but getting nails done is impossible now xxxx

• Heart
Have you looked to see if there’s any mobile people in your area that could come to you? Nails would probably be a lot easier to find. I normally search “mobile nails” in a local group to you on Facebook to see posts from people asking/offering or search “mobile nails (area you live)” on the actual Facebook search bar. I’m still pregnant at the moment but VERY lucky I moved house recently and found out someone on my street has a proper home salon so started going to her. Going to be super handy as I’ll either take baby or partner can hold the fort.

Trigger warning for anyone who doesn’t like this talk 🩸
10 weeks today and think I have my first period. Hoping this is all it is anyway.. Wednesday night I had a very very light flow, was almost pink in color even. Up until about 3/4 pm yesterday, I now seem to be changing my pad every hour.. I’m a big girl and had an emergency section if that makes a difference..

• Heart
Reactions: 6
10 weeks today and think I have my first period. Hoping this is all it is anyway.. Wednesday night I had a very very light flow, was almost pink in color even. Up until about 3/4 pm yesterday, I now seem to be changing my pad every hour.. I’m a big girl and had an emergency section if that makes a difference..
I have always had very light flows that only lasted 3-4 days but my first period was horrific I bled more than I did after birth and it lasted about 7 days! My second one wasn’t that heavy but still lasted longer than usual

• Wow
I’m on my third period (& 3rd baby!!!). And they’re pretty rough to start back with for me. But they do settle down after a few. Xxxx

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.