New baby and post birth advice #28 being a mum is the best present I could have ever wished for

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You know what I'm sick of?
Pink tax.
Things costing more because they're marketed for girls or women.
A pack of three boys baby grows £6. Unisex £7. Girls? £9+
Boys megablocks £13. Girls megablocks £20 just because they're pink.
like who do I complain too, its too many individual complaints. I'm really sick of it.
I dont believe in all the blue for boys pink for girls shite. The twins have many items of clothes from the boys section, but what pisses me off is that because it's marketed toward the female market its okay to have a higher profit margin? No. Not today. I've just spent a fortune on new vests in Tescos because all the boys and unisex ones were sold out and with twins and 💩 I don't have the time nor paitentce to get rid of the stains nor have I got endless hours to spend on my washing mountain basket.
That's my rant of the day. I'm off to see where I complain to one singular person rather than a bunch of fools.
There are some good twitter accounts on this. @letclothesbe is one that springs to mind.

We didn't know what flavour baby cucumber was going to be until he was born.

However that didn't stop MiL hoarding clothes like there was no tomorrow (she showed up with two of those big laundry bags full after our 20 week scan - I think she started collecting before he was even conceived) as such he has a real mix, but what's noticeable is that super girly clothes are clearly aimed at girls whilst boys clothes are much more neutral. As such there were no dresses or frills (we have pink and flowers and cutesy animals which say girls in the label), but we'd have been fine with boy/girl.

We went to the park with a baby of a similar age a couple of weeks ago and her dress kept getting caught in the wheel of her pram she was enjoying using as a walker. Such a shame that already she was being restricted by her clothes.

Of course baby cucumber thinks all clothes are restrictive and would much rather be naked all of the time thank you very much.

Ah yes… my mum uses that one too. I mean, I have absolutely no memories of my mum until I was 12 but go off Susan tell me I’m fine 🙃

I really don’t understand this obsession with babies being ‘independent’ - sleeping by themselves, not ever needing comfort or support etc. Theyre only little for such a short period, why are we rushing them to grow up from the minute they’re born?

One mum at baby group constantly goes on about how she leaves her baby to cry unless she’s hungry because ‘she needs to learn some independence because I won’t always be there’, and I just think… imagine spending 9 months growing a baby inside you, nurturing it and keeping it safe, going through birth and then not even wanting to comfort them when they’re sad 🙁
That makes me so sad. One mum at my group was like that, baby had been in her own room since 3 months old and "started sleeping through pretty quickly". I think that's about the only time I've inwardly judged a mum

• Sad
Reactions: 7
You know what I'm sick of?
Pink tax.
Things costing more because they're marketed for girls or women.
A pack of three boys baby grows £6. Unisex £7. Girls? £9+
Boys megablocks £13. Girls megablocks £20 just because they're pink.
like who do I complain too, its too many individual complaints. I'm really sick of it.
I dont believe in all the blue for boys pink for girls shite. The twins have many items of clothes from the boys section, but what pisses me off is that because it's marketed toward the female market its okay to have a higher profit margin? No. Not today. I've just spent a fortune on new vests in Tescos because all the boys and unisex ones were sold out and with twins and 💩 I don't have the time nor paitentce to get rid of the stains nor have I got endless hours to spend on my washing mountain basket.
That's my rant of the day. I'm off to see where I complain to one singular person rather than a bunch of fools.
I noticed this earlier today. We’re looking for a swing for Baby’s birthday. Argos are selling a kids swing in pink that is £45. The exact same swing, but in blue, is £33. I honestly don’t see the thought process behind it?!

Reactions: 6
I noticed this earlier today. We’re looking for a swing for Baby’s birthday. Argos are selling a kids swing in pink that is £45. The exact same swing, but in blue, is £33. I honestly don’t see the thought process behind it?!
It's stupid isn't it! Same for us, mens razors are cheaper than the same razor that is PINK. You can bet your arse if men had periods sanitary products wouldn't be as expensive as they are.
Men's shampoo? Cheap as chips? Ours? Sell your kidney if you want soft shiney hair😡
I'm on one this week, but I'm sick of living in a world that is ruled by male privilege.

Reactions: 14
It's stupid isn't it! Same for us, mens razors are cheaper than the same razor that is PINK. You can bet your arse if men had periods sanitary products wouldn't be as expensive as they are.
Men's shampoo? Cheap as chips? Ours? Sell your kidney if you want soft shiney hair😡
I'm on one this week, but I'm sick of living in a world that is ruled by male privilege.
Bet tampax is owned by a man 🙄

Reactions: 3
Mens usually work better too 🤣 I never buy womens razors or shaving cream anymore, it works half as well for more money just so it has flowers on it? duck off

Reactions: 9
It’s owned by P&G so will most likely be because men = CEOs even if they are under qualified twats.
I hate male privilege. Mr L went to buy me some sanitary stuff the other day and came home like that’s how much it costs? He then got a very long pink tax rant in return!

Reactions: 8
Also, because this riled me up, I dress the baby in girls clothes, but often in blue rather than pink (groundbreaking I know). Today she was wearing a pale blue T shirt with green/blue flowery dungarees, and FIVE separate people called her a boy (at this stage I should point out she now waves at everyone and says “iyaaaaa” so it takes us hours to get anywhere and everyone then wants to chat - I’m fundamentally v anti social so this is hell). Anyways, why is it so inconceivable that a girl can wear blue?!?!?

It’s owned by P&G so will most likely be because men = CEOs even if they are under qualified twats.
I hate male privilege. Mr L went to buy me some sanitary stuff the other day and came home like that’s how much it costs? He then got a very long pink tax rant in return!
Ahh I figured it would be part of something like Unilever or P&G, so defo run by men!

Baby c woke up crying (nothing new there), he's got a temperature and is now quite placid/drowsy. We've given him some Calpol and put him in something lighter. So tonight's lack of sleep will most likely be due to an anxious brain rather than a grumpy baby.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
It’s owned by Procter &Gamble which is a listed company so technically owned by shareholders which typically largely will be made up by private equity firms/funds etc. The board is relatively good compared to other listed companies as it seems to be 50% female.

Generally listed companies are notorious for being run by male dominated boards (there continues to be a concerted push to change this for women to make up at least 30% of such boards…) and the boards of the aforementioned majority shareholders be also likely to be male dominated. It’s a man’s world sadly.

Sorry for the boring post-knowing this sort of stuff is part of my job…

Yup!😂 It honestly baffles & amazes me when folk want to have a pop at me about just holding my baby. I’ll just keep on doing what we are doing with my little bub whilst she lets me hold her

Has anyone noticed if you get more unsolicited “advice” when your baby is in the pushchair part of the pram but facing outwards rather than towards you? Little miss is still facing towards me atm but just wondered if the amount of nosey Nellies increases when people can actually see more of your baby in the pram?
I tried to hold my 5yo in the same position that she used to contact nap on me. She was huge & she got bored very quickly and got up 🤣. I am grateful for the time we had having such lovely cuddles in this early days.
I’m doing exactly the same with my littlest, who is 1 tomorrow. It goes too quick just cuddle your baby 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Also, because this riled me up, I dress the baby in girls clothes, but often in blue rather than pink (groundbreaking I know). Today she was wearing a pale blue T shirt with green/blue flowery dungarees, and FIVE separate people called her a boy (at this stage I should point out she now waves at everyone and says “iyaaaaa” so it takes us hours to get anywhere and everyone then wants to chat - I’m fundamentally v anti social so this is hell). Anyways, why is it so inconceivable that a girl can wear blue?!?!?

Ahh I figured it would be part of something like Unilever or P&G, so defo run by men!
I buy alot of the twins clothes from the boys section simply because I haven't the time for tights and dresses and all the buttons on a flowery top, & its cheaper because theyre in them about 3 weeks, but they don't look like "boys" it's just usually creams and nice blues etc I may throw on a light "girl coloured top" if I'm out with all 3 of the kids it's guaranteed someone will stop me ask if they're twins and then say its unfortunate I didn't get a girl🙄

• Wow
It’s owned by Procter &Gamble which is a listed company so technically owned by shareholders which typically largely will be made up by private equity firms/funds etc. The board is relatively good compared to other listed companies as it seems to be 50% female.

Generally listed companies are notorious for being run by male dominated boards (there continues to be a concerted push to change this for women to make up at least 30% of such boards…) and the boards of the aforementioned majority shareholders be also likely to be male dominated. It’s a man’s world sadly.

Sorry for the boring post-knowing this sort of stuff is part of my job…
Didn’t they say in about 2015 there were more CEOs called John than women?
Like you say, yay on P&G for being slightly ahead of the curve at 50% (although we shouldn’t need to applaud this); my experience of equity funds is that they tend to be male dominant (frequently get asked if I’m taking minutes to pass to the male lawyer 🙃)

I buy alot of the twins clothes from the boys section simply because I haven't the time for tights and dresses and all the buttons on a flowery top, & its cheaper because theyre in them about 3 weeks, but they don't look like "boys" it's just usually creams and nice blues etc I may throw on a light "girl coloured top" if I'm out with all 3 of the kids it's guaranteed someone will stop me ask if they're twins and then say its unfortunate I didn't get a girl🙄
Do boys clothes not have the ridiculously impractical buttons on the back of stuff?!?

• Haha
Mens usually work better too 🤣 I never buy womens razors or shaving cream anymore, it works half as well for more money just so it has flowers on it? duck off
I just use Mr TYs🤣
I leave him wondering why he's no shower gel left when he goes for a shower🤣

• Haha
At what point do people stop telling me because I can’t put the baby down that she’s spoilt? Every single time I see my mum, she makes a point repeatedly telling me she’s spoilt. I don’t know how I’ve kept my cool so long. But it’s really starting to bother me. If she isn’t saying how spoilt she is, she’s constantly commenting on how she looks, she never says anything bad but it almost comes across negative to me? It all could be hormones but it bothers me so much
God, I hate this so much! I will literally hug my baby all day long if she needs me, she is a little baby and we are all they know! 🥺
I’m also not keen on it when people say ‘has she been a good girl’ like yeh? She’s four months old, she can’t be naughty can she? She’s always good!!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Didn’t they say in about 2015 there were more CEOs called John than women?
Like you say, yay on P&G for being slightly ahead of the curve at 50% (although we shouldn’t need to applaud this); my experience of equity funds is that they tend to be male dominant (frequently get asked if I’m taking minutes to pass to the male lawyer 🙃)
Yes, I remember that report 🤦🏻‍♀️

Applauding things that should just be status quo is super depressing, and sadly I fear it will be another generation until proper equality starts to creep through (keeping fingers crossed for all the baby girls on this thread!). I’m a fellow lawyer so recognise the ‘mistaken identity’ comments as they wait for someone male to join the meeting or to ‘supervise’ me (my fave was when my male trainee was assumed to be leading a meeting- sure let’s trust the baby faced 25year old male newbie over the 30 something female with over a decade of experience…) 😡

Rant over- it’s a topic close to my heart which riles me up all the time!

Also, so far none of baby authors boy baby clotheshave any impractical buttons, or anything that would be uncomfortable on the back (only experienced newborn and 0-3month so far). Dread to think what you are referring to on girls clothes!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
God, I hate this so much! I will literally hug my baby all day long if she needs me, she is a little baby and we are all they know! 🥺
I’m also not keen on it when people say ‘has she been a good girl’ like yeh? She’s four months old, she can’t be naughty can she? She’s always good!!!!
This one I don’t mind, Tommys always a baby terrorist 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Yes, I remember that report 🤦🏻‍♀️

Applauding things that should just be status quo is super depressing, and sadly I fear it will be another generation until proper equality starts to creep through (keeping fingers crossed for all the baby girls on this thread!). I’m a fellow lawyer so recognise the ‘mistaken identity’ comments as they wait for someone male to join the meeting or to ‘supervise’ me (my fave was when my male trainee was assumed to be leading a meeting- sure let’s trust the baby faced 25year old male newbie over the 30 something female with over a decade of experience…) 😡

Rant over- it’s a topic close to my heart which riles me up all the time!

Also, so far none of baby authors boy baby clotheshave any impractical buttons, or anything that would be uncomfortable on the back (only experienced newborn and 0-3month so far). Dread to think what you are referring to on girls clothes!
Will have to look in the boys section because I’m fed up of trying to wrestle her into clothes with buttons, hideously impractical!

Haha well I’m relatively young and baby faced, so I can see to an extent why someone *could* assume that, but funnily enough they never assume the equally young and baby faced male lawyer is a trainee. Personal fave was a meeting with a client last week, acted for him on loads of stuff, and he said “oh I thought you were just a secretary”. Offensive on so many levels, as if women can’t do anything else, but also offensive to secretaries! Found out the hard way my cases tick over just fine if I take a weeks annual leave, if my secretary is off all hell breaks loose 🤦🏼‍♀️ It’s also a topic that riles me up completely!

At what point do people stop telling me because I can’t put the baby down that she’s spoilt? Every single time I see my mum, she makes a point repeatedly telling me she’s spoilt. I don’t know how I’ve kept my cool so long. But it’s really starting to bother me. If she isn’t saying how spoilt she is, she’s constantly commenting on how she looks, she never says anything bad but it almost comes across negative to me? It all could be hormones but it bothers me so much
I still cuddle orange to sleep it’s a load of tit and you know what they deserve to be spoilt they used to live inside us people chat absolute tit give them all the cuddles 🥰

This one I don’t mind, Tommys always a baby terrorist 🤣🤣🤣
Mine is actually a terrorist think of the worst birthday related to this and that’s oranges 😵💫

Reactions: 2
Eurgh I’ve been sick tonight. Can’t remember the last time I was sick and it wasn’t alcohol related 😂🤢
Not sure if it’s a bug or I’m stressing about starting work on Monday but this is not what I need 😭
Kw has had the shits today so I’m hoping little one doesn’t catch anything if it is a bug!

• Sad
  • Heart
Ahhh. It's like having a newborn again. Even cosleeping isn't good enough, only my chest is. Remind me how I did this before? Also phone at 14% battery. Pray for me. Counting down the minutes until 2am when we can give more Calpol

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.