Names You Can't Stand #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Of course, I had to Google him and omg you're right! Randy Mantooth...what a name. 😂 😂
He had a pretty good excuse for the surname though seeing as he was Native American - but Randy???? I suppose in USA it does not bear the same connotation as it does in UK, rather like them calling someone "Spunky". You'd get a fist in the face over this side of the Big Pond for it! :)

Reactions: 1
just saw an article about parents who loved the name Bear, but didn't want to name their kid Bear "spelled like the animal", so they anmed him Bair - which people naturally interpret as a mispelling of the name Blair. regardless of what people think about using names like Bear, Fox and Wolf for kids, they're a hell of a lot better than deciding to use one of those names but lumber the poor kid with a KrEaTiVe spelling, so that they will be forever correcting people. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 7
I saw a Randy Dong on LinkedIn. Make of that what you will...😆
Chinese I guess. The place I used to work did a lot of business with China so a lot of the managers we dealt with gave themselves Westernised names - we had a Micheal Jackson Wong amongst others :)
I think theres a road in Hong Kong called Wan King Road too which is rather unfortunate :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Chinese I guess. The place I used to work did a lot of business with China so a lot of the managers we dealt with gave themselves Westernised names - we had a Micheal Jackson Wong amongst others :)
I think theres a road in Hong Kong called Wan King Road too which is rather unfortunate :LOL:
Michael Jackson Wong! brilliant! 👌🏻

yeahi went to uni with a guy called Dong - which presumably wasn't an issue until he decided to study in the UK. tbh, there must be loads of names like that which are interpreted entirely differently in different cultures. there are undoubtedly some incredibly standard name in the UK which have hilarious meanings to people who speak different languages! 🤣

My favourite Hong Kong streets are Fuk On Road and Man Fuk Road.

• Haha
There’s a vlogging family whose surname starts with W and ends in worth, but they go for a shortened version as their online handle. They have 4 kids, 3 girls and a boy. The girls have perfectly decent names ( lets call them Ava, Ellen and Mary, which are close enough to their real names). The little boy has a name that starts with W and ends in worth too, which is pretty terrible on its own but even worse when paired with that surname! Mum is expecting again, from what she has said, I think it’s a girl, thank goodness, as parents’ name choices are way better for girls than boys.

Oh, and one of my best friends from uni can actually claim to be related to Michael Jackson, as her dad’s brother bears that name too!

i just discovered that Ronan Keating's youngest daughter is called Coco Knox. little bit too similar to coconut for my liking! 🥥🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
There’s a vlogging family whose surname starts with W and ends in worth, but they go for a shortened version as their online handle. They have 4 kids, 3 girls and a boy. The girls have perfectly decent names ( lets call them Ava, Ellen and Mary, which are close enough to their real names). The little boy has a name that starts with W and ends in worth too, which is pretty terrible on its own but even worse when paired with that surname! Mum is expecting again, from what she has said, I think it’s a girl, thank goodness, as parents’ name choices are way better for girls than boys.

Oh, and one of my best friends from uni can actually claim to be related to Michael Jackson, as her dad’s brother bears that name too!
If they’re on YouTube you might as well just reveal the actual name 😄

Reactions: 5
Just seen a Teighlor on Facebook. I read it as Teeg-lor but I'm guessing it's just a younique spelling of Taylor, which, incidentally, is also a ridiculous first name!

Sounds like a cereal to me
🎶I'd rather have a bowl of Coco Knox🎶

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Can’t remember if I wrote it on here or Reddit, but I had an interaction with a Sharlet recently.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
In the village where I once taught there was a family with the surname Wall. They had children named Brick and Stone. I too thought it was a joke. It was not.

• Haha
Ok I'm fairly sure I haven't said this one before but if I have apologies 🙃 Ghislaine. Now I know it's what, a French name? Whatever it is. But I've always been someone who could read & spell a word perfectly, but my pronunciation has always been questionable 😂(I'd often see words for the first time on the page of a book) so for me to say her name, I say it like Jizzlane. Which if your anywhere in the UK at least, you'll understand Jizz Lane sounds a bit like an orgy in an alleyway. So there u have it. 🤣

Reactions: 4
Ok I'm fairly sure I haven't said this one before but if I have apologies 🙃 Ghislaine. Now I know it's what, a French name? Whatever it is. But I've always been someone who could read & spell a word perfectly, but my pronunciation has always been questionable 😂(I'd often see words for the first time on the page of a book) so for me to say her name, I say it like Jizzlane. Which if your anywhere in the UK at least, you'll understand Jizz Lane sounds a bit like an orgy in an alleyway. So there u have it. 🤣
how actually IS the name Ghislaine pronounced?! i usually pride myself on actively learning how to pronounce names when i'm unsure of the correct pronounciation, but Ghislaine - for some reason - has stuck in my head as Griss-Laine, and that's how I hear it in my head when I read it. just reminds me of the word gristle, which is kinda gross - but in reality I have no idea how of the correct pronounciation! 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: 3
There was a girl in the year below me at school (I must have been 15/16 at this point) called.....

Temptress

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sick
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.