Michael & David Kay #8 Farewell to the Disney Dream

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Michael is delusional. He’s pontificating again about all that irritates him. The first three examples he gave were situations where Disney in essence sold out the maximum tickets = maximized their profit and irritated Michael. He says lighting lane is not sustainable (aka he doesn’t like it). I’m not a fan either but in Disney’s most recent quarterly report it said that 30% of vacationing families used genie+ at least once on their trip which means it isn’t going away. I rope dropped MK yesterday and we left by noon because if was a bleeping mad house. Disney is printing money right now.
If Disney’s core demographic was failed YouTubers who were single, unemployed men in their early 30’s living with their mom who rarely go to the parks, and spend almost no money when they do, there would be massive panic in the boardroom this morning.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
ahahaha the irony of saying that Disney has lost the magic, how often has Michael even been in Disney recently with all his cruises and lazyness?

Saying that Genie+ and LL is ruining the magic is also stupid. Nothing magical about waiting in line for hours, and the new LL just takes the capacity from the old FP system. My only gripe with Genie and LL is that I have to spend so much time looking at my phone all the time, and slots are too limited on Genie+ - starting the morning by booking an evening slot basically makes your + payment useless for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
If Disney’s core demographic was failed YouTubers who were single, unemployed men in their early 30’s living with their mom who rarely go to the parks, and spend almost no money when they do, there would be massive panic in the boardroom this morning.
The great irony of Michael’s life is that he ruined his favorite thing FOR HIMSELF. Yes, the pandemic has had real effects on the way Disney operates. Yes, they’ve made some unpopular changes. But how many times did we see Michael chatter to himself about his fear of “losing the magic” before he moved to Florida? He knew this was a possibility and he made the choice anyway to go this hard and not make any effort to pace himself. He burned himself out and he knew what he was doing, he just assumed — as he often does — that he would be immune, that he would be the exception. Turns out the permanent vacation lifestyle gets old after awhile, and now he’s attempting to save face by pretending it’s somehow Disney’s fault that he’s crashed and burned. Passing the blame, another Michael Kay specialty. He chose to relocate his life and quit his day job to basically live in a theme park, and when that choice wasn’t as profitable or comfortable as he wanted, it’s somehow a mega-corporation’s fault and not his own.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Saying that Genie+ and LL is ruining the magic is also stupid. Nothing magical about waiting in line for hours, and the new LL just takes the capacity from the old FP system. My only gripe with Genie and LL is that I have to spend so much time looking at my phone all the time, and slots are too limited on Genie+ - starting the morning by booking an evening slot basically makes your + payment useless for the rest of the day.
The other bit is that it basically functions exactly like the original FP (pre-magic band) system did. If they limited the number of purchases, and did a little more equal boarding of LL and stand by guests, it would probably increase capacity.

Dave's new Las Vegas video is again him walking around reading signs. The funniest part is how manic he gets after consuming a lavish milkshake with a slice of cake on top. Giving an ADHD kid sugar. What a great idea!

Deleted alert. Not me so duck you kelly.

Ian
10 minutes ago
In my opinion your vlogs have not been as magical since you moved to Orlando. Not sure if that is a Michael thing, a Disney thing or both. BTW you never had an issue refreshing FastPass back in the day.

Reactions: 6
There is a significant difference between LL/Genie+ and FP+--With FP+ you could set up a ride schedule 2 months in advance, generally pick the times you wanted (not always possible), and plan your meals around those attractions. I used to be able to program a counterclockwise Magic Kingdom morning visit, have lunch, do 1 or 2 more rides/attractions and get back to the hotel for some important afternoon tippling. With LL/Genie+ every morning it's survival of the fittest as you compete against every guest at the same time, you don't get the times you want you get the times offered, and the times offered are often during your lunch/dinner which you planned months ago. It is a disaster (when it works).

That said, the park experience has been declining for years. That michael just noticed it is telling about his lack of knowledge about WDW despite being a very frequent visitor. Skimpflation and over crowding has been a problem at WDW for at least 10 years. Another park was needed years ago, not just new rides in existing parks or, even worse, repurposed rides.
Magic Kingdom opened 10-1-71
Epcot opened 10-1-82
HS opened 5-1-89
AK opened 4-22-98
It has been 24 years since WDW substantially expanded its park capacity. All the while WDW has built many hotels and DVC rooms. To the extent Michael is suggesting that the WDW is no longer what it was, he's about 10 years late.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
With LL/Genie+ every morning it's survival of the fittest as you compete against every guest at the same time, you don't get the times you want you get the times offered, and the times offered often are often during your lunch/dinner which you planned months ago. It is a disaster (when it works).
Which is exactly the way things were before FP+

If you have a lot of time to kill, this explains why it's probably ultimately the better system, even if the money grubbing is odious.

Reactions: 2

If you have a lot of time to kill, this explains why it's probably ultimately the better system, even if the money grubbing is odious.
I watched VincentVision's video on how the Universal system works better, and when you hear someone break it down, point by point, it is amazing that Disney is getting away with it.

Reactions: 3
Michael is delusional. He’s pontificating again about all that irritates him. The first three examples he gave were situations where Disney in essence sold out the maximum tickets = maximized their profit and irritated Michael. He says lighting lane is not sustainable (aka he doesn’t like it). I’m not a fan either but in Disney’s most recent quarterly report it said that 30% of vacationing families used genie+ at least once on their trip which means it isn’t going away. I rope dropped MK yesterday and we left by noon because if was a bleeping mad house. Disney is printing money right now.
This!! Disney is making money and they're not going to get rid of anything that would jeopardize that. Look at the Food and Wine Festival, it grew into all the festivals having food booths - technically all but a few months are the Food and Wine Festival just with different names.

Reactions: 5
Oh good, Michael is complaining again and offering suggestions that Disney will never in a million dollars listen to

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Oh good, Michael is complaining again and offering suggestions that Disney will never in a million dollars listen to
But he thinks they will listen. And he puts a photo in the background of that couple from Switzerland that arrived without tickets and reservations, and stood in the parking lot with a sign, kinda like people do at concerts and sporting events. And while I'm not entirely happy with all of the changes at Disney, it's hard to sympathize with people who do no research and just expect things to go their way. The reservation policy has been in effect for almost 2 years. I'm not even sure that tickets are transferable? I've never bought tickets at the booth, as our AP's are attached to MDE. I know I can transfer an unused ticket to another friend or family member that's attached to my account, but I'm not sure if it is doable otherwise. Then, are the reservations transferable? I've not tried to do that, but I know you just can't modify a reservation. You have to cancel one and make other, which is annoying AF.
1650477890242.png

How about a Dave in Las Vegas troll? put the donut down Kelly Wertz.
Eli Jamison
1 hour ago
Dave the world traveler wish I could do what you do waking all over Vegas without a plan and eating at fine dining establishments Hawaiian adventures redux 👍

G8xsG5FQzpb2JtqnRE0f4byE=s88-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj.jpg

Dave The Researcher

Don’t forget about all the research he does and how much we learn by watching. TBD.

• Haha
Exactly correct. FP+ was a big improvement over FP because you didn't have to get involved in survival of the fittest grabbing fast passes at the park, you could schedule FP+ from home 2 months in advance. Disney has gone backwards in time in its level of service, it's ridiculous.
That video you posted is really good. As I recall Kevin P. essentially concludes that the fastpass system could never work at WDW, too few attractions, too many people, but it can be a money maker. And here we are today, worse experience that costs more.

I really noticed the FP a few years ago when we went to some MK after hours event. It was pretty crowded. No fast passes, the line for Pirates of the Carib. was going out the entrance, but it loaded fast. We got off and I was thinking "get rid of fast passes." I guess I should have been more specific with my wish.

Reactions: 1
He couldn’t even run walk the 5K, how the hell will he be able to do the Dopey challenge which is the 5K, 10K, a half-marathon and a marathon?
Well, from my experience he'd only really have to "run" the last event, the marathon. His bib would notate the Dopey challenge and he'd just walk through that medal line. They don't actually check to see if you completed the other events. Now, that's a really big assumption because he would still need to complete a full 26 mile marathon.

I will honestly be very surprised if he participates in runDisney next season. The next race isn't until November and registration was last month, and it's sold out. The WDW Marathon (January 2023) just had registration yesterday and it was AWFUL. The site was down for 2 1/2 hours and those (like me) who jumped in the queue early/on time and were told by runDisney to STAY THERE, didn't get registered. They put newer web sessions ahead when they rebooted the site, and this was proven. Guess Disney just saved me a boat load of money since I didn't get in.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Did Disney lose the magic or is Michael mad he's off the media list?
Disney parks have lost the magic, WDW deluxe hotels are still good based upon my recent stays, Michael has lost the magic, Michael is still mad at Disney.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.