Michael & David Kay #8 Farewell to the Disney Dream

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
January is not a non-busy time. I've been going to WDW in January-March since 1999. Very, very busy always. Our trip in January of this year was not a disaster because we knew what was going to be there based on 20+ years of diminishing experience. I posted the experience here real time.

Arrival Day--Arrive MCO and stay at the Airport Hyatt, our usual approach to WDW.
First full day: No parks, spend $$$$ at Wine Bar George, Lyft back to Beach Club, chill, then walk a nice dinner Via Napoli (I know it's in a park!).

Days 2 thru 5--got hosed every morning by Genie+ after paying $60 (for four peeps) each day. Day 6 our last day Genie+ worked, PTL (at Epcot).
No ride times available, app not loading, app not connecting, time reserved app. crashed it doesn't remember where you were in the process, ride times assigned during meals when the program should know our dining schedule, etc.

Great lunches and dinners every day. That's why we go now. To get away, to eat, to drink, to walk around get exercise. It's still a great place, but we long ago stopped going to WDW to "be in the parks."

It's not what it used to be park-wise, it's not even remotely close. There used to be a lot of random interaction with cast members, now it's idiotic programmed times with who-knows-who in a costume. Many non-pay park entertainment features are long gone, like the hoop-dee-do revue type of show that used to be at the Diamond Horseshoe in MK. Not Disney's fault, but I gotta say that getting sniffed for bombs before I enter a park is a severe dose of reality before entering the second happiest place on Earth (Disneyland is the first?). Way too many people, way too few attractions.

This is not the ignorant whining of a novice, these comments are based upon two decades of experience as owners of 2000+ DVC points. Conservatively speaking, I bet overtime we have spent half-million on "the vacation of a lifetime" (the points alone are about 1/4 million). Some years we went three times, one year four times. Most years at least twice. One year we went to Busch Gardens in VA and then scheduled a "cleansing" WDW trip because BG paled in comparison (now it looks pretty good by comparison). A bigger fan of WDW would be hard (not impossible) to find. The pandemic gave WDW and opportunity to reassess. It also gave us an opportunity to reassess and the result was a mutli-year review of the declining experience at our beloved vacation spot. It's sad.😭

@Claude: Michael has my beer gut on his neck!
We do Disney very similar to you. The mouse has hit me for $250k plus over the years but who gives a duck. wife and I love getting hammered at hoop de do, via Napoli, nine dragons, rose and crown, chefs de France and on and on.
happy Thursday Dave troll. duck you kelly Wertz.

Randall Martel
8 hours ago
Learn how to edit…this video should be 3 minutes at most.

Hide reply

8HhoPCwgdBbbEiH4GU4upIS3=s88-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj.jpg

Thelma Johnson
19 minutes ago
Ease up. 481 of his 10,700 subs watched. I get that that includes a majority of hate watchers.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
It wasn't that busy when we went in January, so I don't know what to tell you? I guess I'm just confused why people keep going if they're having so many issues with it?

Reactions: 1
It wasn't that busy when we went in January, so I don't know what to tell you? I guess I'm just confused why people keep going if they're having so many issues with it?
My guess is that your confusion is also WDW's confusion. I think that eventually WDW is going to realize the same thing: people are not repeating visits as often or spending as much $$$$$. BUT it seems to me that WDW has turned into a place geared for a one time experience and it might not care about repeat business (at this time). That Star Wars Cruiser disaster in the works is Exhibit A of a one time experience. Not sure what your January experience is or what the crowd was like on the particular days you were there, but it was years ago that you could walk onto any ride in MK in January in the AM. That ship sailed years ago. Now it's huge lines every day even in the AM.

While I'm at it, I forgot to whine about the recently implemented 1/2 hour early park opening for hotel guests. It's a complete waste of time. First, a half hour is nothing, it used to be an hour at rotating parks AND the smart thing to do was go to one of the other parks because the first time visiting noobs would ALL go to the early opening park leaving the other parks open. Now ALL parks are crowded at rope drop. Ridiculous for the guests, but lucrative for WDW (for now). At Magic Kingdom only two of the five (six) lands open early (Fantasy and Tomorrow, three if you count merch on Main Street as a land). Our personal interest is Adventureland, so for us, early opening is worthless, but having only two lands opens ensure maximum crowding in those areas. Not a good guest experience IMO.

Reactions: 2
I mean, I told you what my experience was and told you it wasn't that crowded. Hence my confusion.

I like the 1/2 hour opening for hotel guests. The first thing we do is Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (which is always a must do) so we don't have to wait longer during the day or get LL. We didn't buy LL at all during our trip and rode everything we wanted. I think our longest wait the whole trip was 30 minutes. I'm sorry you keep having a bad time but we don't and we plan on going some more. If we decide "the magic is gone" then we'll stop going.

Sorry to derail the WDW debate, but I gotta jump in here and say that I finally watched Dave’s Vegas videos (what can I say, I’m adjusting from a time zone shift and needed a way to fall asleep last night). Watching Dave “explore” is simultaneously the most boring and most chaotic thing I’ve ever seen. As someone just a few years older than Dave who solo travels regularly, it makes me deeply sad that anyone would watch his vlogs and think that this is what solo travel is like. What a completely depressing time he has. He spends more time wondering aloud than he does actually seeking out information. He is constantly saying “that place looks cool, maybe I’ll come back and check it out later, TBD,” but he never does. Again and again, what very minimal plans he makes are thwarted by his refusal to do even the most basic level of research on things like the opening hours of restaurants or whether or not you need a reservation. He claims to be on a budget and avoids things he thinks he can’t afford, yet he’s not getting particularly good deals on the things he does buy. You just want to shake him and make him understand that if he would just spend a few more minutes on Google, he would have an exponentially better experience. Then again, I don’t think he seems to mind having a terrible experience because to him it’s all an “adventure” and content for his vlogs. Listen, I’m all about doing things the way you want to do them. But watching this guy dither aimlessly around shopping malls and call it “exploring” makes me want to scream. Also, let the record show that this man just came from the GRAND CANYON and then sat in a VEGAS SHOPPING CENTER and talked about the “incredible views.” Truly unhinged.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My guess is that your confusion is also WDW's confusion. I think that eventually WDW is going to realize the same thing: people are not repeating visits as often or spending as much $$$$$. BUT it seems to me that WDW has turned into a place geared for a one time experience and it might not care about repeat business (at this time). That Star Wars Cruiser disaster in the works is Exhibit A of a one time experience. Not sure what your January experience is or what the crowd was like on the particular days you were there, but it was years ago that you could walk onto any ride in MK in January in the AM. That ship sailed years ago. Now it's huge lines every day even in the AM.

While I'm at it, I forgot to whine about the recently implemented 1/2 hour early park opening for hotel guests. It's a complete waste of time. First, a half hour is nothing, it used to be an hour at rotating parks AND the smart thing to do was go to one of the other parks because the first time visiting noobs would ALL go to the early opening park leaving the other parks open. Now ALL parks are crowded at rope drop. Ridiculous for the guests, but lucrative for WDW (for now). At Magic Kingdom only two of the five (six) lands open early (Fantasy and Tomorrow, three if you count merch on Main Street as a land). Our personal interest is Adventureland, so for us, early opening is worthless, but having only two lands opens ensure maximum crowding in those areas. Not a good guest experience IMO.
I agree with your points. But, it's also subjective - what I may think as crowded, you may think is manageable and normal. We were at the reopening back in July of 2020, and yes, MK, Epcot, and AK were unbelievably empty by typical standards, but HS was packed. There were over 2 hour waits for MMRR and Slinky Dog. I realize there were cleaning protocols in place, but it just seemed very crowded everywhere. However, some friends were there on the same day and raved about the low crowds. Go figure.

I was just there a few weeks ago and it was packed everywhere. We've adjusted and it's the new norm. But since my kids are older now, and we've been SOOOOO many times over the years, we don't feel compelled to do everything and see everything on every trip. We do enjoy just hanging out, taking photos, resort and pool days, and some of the other unique experiences and tours. It's a mistake for us if we put so much pressure on the rides and park days.

Reactions: 4
@T-Rexx Yeah 2012 was rough. Our first magic band trip was “I know it’s not working but can you try it a 4th time please.” That Yeah I can see being the gradual downfall of the park experience. However I didn’t start going heavily until 2012 because that’s when we bought DVC, but I’d go once a year from 2006-2012. Like I said we eventually may sell DVC. Magic isn’t gone but it’s more expensive and less fun overall compared to other trips.

@ArielC Glad you still had a good time. January ime is a mixed bag. I’ve had slow trips and busier trips! Overall though I feel the parks have been quite crowded since 2021 with very few slow times. Doesn’t mean a bad time or anything but the wait times (in general) are up. EasyWDW’s analysis would be great, he’s going to be missed.

Reactions: 3
@T-Rexx Yeah 2012 was rough. Our first magic band trip was “I know it’s not working but can you try it a 4th time please.” That Yeah I can see being the gradual downfall of the park experience. However I didn’t start going heavily until 2012 because that’s when we bought DVC, but I’d go once a year from 2006-2012. Like I said we eventually may sell DVC. Magic isn’t gone but it’s more expensive and less fun overall compared to other trips.

@ArielC Glad you still had a good time. January ime is a mixed bag. I’ve had slow trips and busier trips! Overall though I feel the parks have been quite crowded since 2021 with very few slow times. Doesn’t mean a bad time or anything but the wait times (in general) are up. EasyWDW’s analysis would be great, he’s going to be missed.
I think it might be expected to be a little more crowded than usual with the 50th and the Pandemic mandates being more lifted? We have to remember, the 50th just started in October and people are taking trips they had planned in 2019 and 2020 that has to be canceled. And of course the holidays and spring break. I think this should've been expected but people seem shocked and angry

Reactions: 2
I wonder if Michael will be able to afford to live in his house after Reedy Creek is dissolved? I am guessing he is barely holding on right now.

Looks like property taxes will go up 20+%.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Sorry to derail the WDW debate, but I gotta jump in here and say that I finally watched Dave’s Vegas videos (what can I say, I’m adjusting from a time zone shift and needed a way to fall asleep last night). Watching Dave “explore” is simultaneously the most boring and most chaotic thing I’ve ever seen. As someone just a few years older than Dave who solo travels regularly, it makes me deeply sad that anyone would watch his vlogs and think that this is what solo travel is like. What a completely depressing time he has. He spends more time wondering aloud than he does actually seeking out information. He is constantly saying “that place looks cool, maybe I’ll come back and check it out later, TBD,” but he never does. Again and again, what very minimal plans he makes are thwarted by his refusal to do even the most basic level of research on things like the opening hours of restaurants or whether or not you need a reservation. He claims to be on a budget and avoids things he thinks he can’t afford, yet he’s not getting particularly good deals on the things he does buy. You just want to shake him and make him understand that if he would just spend a few more minutes on Google, he would have an exponentially better experience. Then again, I don’t think he seems to mind having a terrible experience because to him it’s all an “adventure” and content for his vlogs. Listen, I’m all about doing things the way you want to do them. But watching this guy dither aimlessly around shopping malls and call it “exploring” makes me want to scream. Also, let the record show that this man just came from the GRAND CANYON and then sat in a VEGAS SHOPPING CENTER and talked about the “incredible views.” Truly unhinged.
Dave is a monumental idiot! It's one thing to be aware that you're not the brightest bulb. But he's too dumb to even realize his own stupidity. It's so infuriating to watch him stumble all over himself and try to pass off the dumbest things as some kind of twisted humor or weird personality quirk. I can't watch him for longer than a minute without wanting to scream.

Reactions: 7
Disney is probably not too upset by this development. Reedy Creek has $1 billion in debt that they would no longer be responsible for and instead would go to the residents. They also pay fees to Reedy Creek they would no longer have to pay.

On the flip side, permitting etc would be more difficult.

Disney is probably not too upset by this development. Reedy Creek has $1 billion in debt that they would no longer be responsible for and instead would go to the residents. They also pay fees to Reedy Creek they would no longer have to pay.

On the flip side, permitting etc would be more difficult.
I can't figure out if Disney even cares. Let the county take over the infrastructure hassle, roads, power, water, sewage. I'm not sure how that shakes out. What IS certain is that the Governor was pretty clear that this is punishment for Disney's political speech. Seems like a slam dunk case to me, especially since the idiot legislature just rubber stamped the legislation without any debate providing some other grounds rather than an objective to impair political speech. There's even a bill of attainder issue. But like you say, Disney might take the speech hit to saddle the county with a lot of expense. $$$$ To keep this on topic: michael's videos are horrible.

Last edited:
Of course Mikey had to run to the soft opening of Connections Cafe today. He got himself a burger, fries and *shocker* what looks like a milkshake.

Reactions: 6
Of course Mikey had to run to the soft opening of Connections Cafe today. He got himself a burger, fries and *shocker* what looks like a milkshake.
There needs to be a rehab for him, Dim and Ginn Tracker & PMM. I’m shocked they’re all not larger than they are currently tbh.

Only good thing about his video today was his big giant head was only on the screen 10% of the time.

He also says that Epcot needed something like Connections Cafe with the tons of seating, etc. Dude, I guess you've never been to Sunshine Seasons??

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.