Kate Lawler #4 Baby being a baby making her tired, time for the Night Nanny to be re-hired!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I see she is regretting taking hardly any may leave, I’d imagine its more likely she will miss laying in the sun banging on about oysters then actually looking after her child!
I reckon she took short leave because she didn’t want to become irrelevant. You’re soon forgotten about and a ‘has been’ (if she ever even ‘was’) in entertainment. Perhaps she is realising the enormity of Noa being a real little person and not a content maker you can put back in a box, the conclusion to a podcast. Perhaps she’s regretting not taking time to recover and get to know her daughter because she was too busy getting her figure back and acting the fool on IG.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Really? I would never be able to tell if someone was on antidepressants just by looking at them. And why would they make her manic?

There’s enough of a stigma around antidepressants as it is, I really don’t think it’s helpful to make unsubstantiated comments like that.
This! I'm on antidepressants have been for years, no one can tell I am and if anything I'm more 'stable' than I have ever been. The adjustment period was hard so if Kate is going through this I sympathise greatly.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I can’t see why she needs to go back so soon. They have loads of money (I assume - certainly more than most people, judging by the night nanny/large house) so why rush back?

Reactions: 6
I can’t see why she needs to go back so soon. They have loads of money (I assume - certainly more than most people, judging by the night nanny/large house) so why rush back?
I think as someone mentioned upthread there is often a fear in tv/radio that if you're away too long you get forgotten/replaced quickly. Alex Jones from the One Show was back relatively quickly too (4 months I believe) to no doubt protect her (very well paid!) job. Apparently she does regret this though. Legally they have to keep it open I imagine no matter which industry you're in but if a new kid on the block comes in to cover and is very successful at it...

I think as someone mentioned upthread there is often a fear in tv/radio that if you're away too long you get forgotten/replaced quickly. Alex Jones from the One Show was back relatively quickly too (4 months I believe) to no doubt protect her (very well paid!) job. Apparently she does regret this though. Legally they have to keep it open I imagine no matter which industry you're in but if a new kid on the block comes in to cover and is very successful at it...
but she has alluded to the fact that she’s self employed rather than an employee. I only know that your job is protected when you’re employed. No idea on rights when you’re self employed. I’d suspect there are none. Hence the need to come back quickly.

Reactions: 5
but she has alluded to the fact that she’s self employed rather than an employee. I only know that your job is protected when you’re employed. No idea on rights when you’re self employed. I’d suspect there are none. Hence the need to come back quickly.
Fair point I didn't realise that. She also said she thought she'd feel differently about returning to work. She grinds my gears with her carry on but I do feel a bit sorry for her as she sounds so terribly conflicted in general since becoming a mum. She did seem to have a huge u-turn from declaring publicly she never wanted kids and I'm not sure the driver for that change of heart was entirely authentic for her let's say.

Reactions: 4
She has asked the question now as to whether you get yourself back once you return to work ?! Does she honestly think it is this simple? No, I don't believe you ever do fully. I had a career then I had kids. I then went back to my career but it wasn't the same. I was tired in meetings due to lack of sleep, I had to go quicky (to fetch from nursery/school when poorly/accidents), I had to leave dead on 5pm and then face constant judgment for doing so (because I seemed 'less committed) and I spent most of the working day either wishing it would end or just wondering what they were doing and had they eaten/slept etc. I very rarely thought about ME. Such is life with motherhood and it gets a bit harder with toddlers before it starts to get a bit easier when they are at school. But then you have school runs to contend with - not easy when you work.........

• Heart
Reactions: 28
She has asked the question now as to whether you get yourself back once you return to work ?! Does she honestly think it is this simple? No, I don't believe you ever do fully. I had a career then I had kids. I then went back to my career but it wasn't the same. I was tired in meetings due to lack of sleep, I had to go quicky (to fetch from nursery/school when poorly/accidents), I had to leave dead on 5pm and then face constant judgment for doing so (because I seemed 'less committed) and I spent most of the working day either wishing it would end or just wondering what they were doing and had they eaten/slept etc. I very rarely thought about ME. Such is life with motherhood and it gets a bit harder with toddlers before it starts to get a bit easier when they are at school. But then you have school runs to contend with - not easy when you work.........
It's very much a new way of life once you work as a parent. I felt (feel!) you are constantly chasing your tail for drop off/pick up, commute, home, cook, bedtime routine etc. You adjust to it and working again did make me feel more like myself again as work was always a big part of my life but it is never the same as before. I agree she is clutching desperately to feel like her old self. I genuinely hope for her she does come out of the fog (to put it mildly) that she is clearly in to feel more herself again but it is naive to think it is all the same as before. As you say there absolutely is a judgement about mums and childcare duties at work.

But why does she want her 'old self' so much ?? I had my first baby at 39, second at 40 and I'd had a great life of partying, career, single living, lots of fun etc. Now I am in the thick of motherhood - school runs and everything else that goes with it but I wouldn't change it for the world and I don't feel I have missed out on anything as I've done it all. It's the ladies who have babies in their teens/20s who have a need to have fun and party because they have probably missed out and I get that!

I should add that I faced an infertility battle for over 4 years before I was blessed with babies and I just hope there aren't any of her 'fans' in the same situation watching these stories who would give their right arm for a maternity leave.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
But why does she want her 'old self' so much ?? I had my first baby at 39, second at 40 and I'd had a great life of partying, career, single living, lots of fun etc. Now I am in the thick of motherhood - school runs and everything else that goes with it but I wouldn't change it for the world and I don't feel I have missed out on anything as I've done it all. It's the ladies who have babies in their teens/20s who have a need to have fun and party because they have probably missed out and I get that!
This 100%. Also had mine at 39 after 4 years with losses. Don't miss partying etc because I packed all that into my prior years! I think her big u-turn on having a baby which she didn't really seem to want deep down and her evident issues with some level of depression since have made her so concerned with feeling like she was before. Hope she can start to accept her new life for her own sanity and her daughter.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I think I got a bit shot down on here before for saying that you lose a bit of yourself once you become a mother but I stand by that and it's ok for that to happen. You have to somewhat embrace the loss of your old life fully and love the new role that you are in. I much prefer cooking fishfingers and reading Biff and Chip than going for a cocktail after work these days. These times are precious to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I think I got a bit shot down on here before for saying that you lose a bit of yourself once you become a mother but I stand by that and it's ok for that to happen. You have to somewhat embrace the loss of your old life fully and love the new role that you are in. I much prefer cooking fishfingers and reading Biff and Chip than going for a cocktail after work these days. These times are precious to me.
I think I remember that comment and the response. Life is different, you lose the old life and have a new one as a parent. I'm certainly not the same as before. It doesn't mean I've had a personality transplant and am a totally different person but pre-baby me is not the same as now.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I think I remember that comment and the response. Life is different, you lose the old life and have a new one as a parent. I'm certainly not the same as before. It doesn't mean I've had a personality transplant and am a totally different person but pre-baby me is not the same as now.
Totally agree with this :)

Reactions: 6
Totally agree with this I’d say it a different in that I have different priorities and can’t be as selfish any more but I still work, go out with my husband, meet friends etc she is lucky she has her parents to help and can obv afford a baby sitter or nanny. You can’t have your old life back kate because you have a different life get over it!

Absolutely this 👋👋 spent the last 10 years caught between rushing the kids out to breakfast club to get to work then rushing out the door dead on time to get them from school. You're never the same. But I don't want to be. It's just a new season in life you have to embrace not wish for the old life.

I went back to work at 9 months and I was so jealous of my other half looking after our little girl, even though it was the harder job probably!

Im 39 and expecting my first baby after a ten (read ‘em 10) year battle with infertility. I honestly can’t wait but know the change, and particularly the lack of sleep, will hit me like a tonne of bricks 😂 Kate’s stories have filled me with terror but as me and the husband have always wanted this, I think it’ll feel different and more ‘natural’.

Seeing her stories lately, I’m worried for her. She looks gaunt, conflicted and majorly like she’s struggling. I hope she gets the support she needs.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Im 39 and expecting my first baby after a ten (read ‘em 10) year battle with infertility. I honestly can’t wait but know the change, and particularly the lack of sleep, will hit me like a tonne of bricks 😂 Kate’s stories have filled me with terror but as me and the husband have always wanted this, I think it’ll feel different and more ‘natural’.

Seeing her stories lately, I’m worried for her. She looks gaunt, conflicted and majorly like she’s struggling. I hope she gets the support she needs.
Congratulations! :) The difference here is you have wanted this a long time. Don't let her worry you in that sense, she's coming from a very different place to you having publicly stated she never wanted kids. Yes the lack of sleep is tough and hit me like a ton of bricks at 39 too but I still pinched myself every day that my baby was finally here :) Wishing you well, very exciting.

Trust me when you’ve wanted it for so long it’s amazing! Hard work but amazing. Life is never the same again though! Congratulations x

I reckon she took short leave because she didn’t want to become irrelevant. You’re soon forgotten about and a ‘has been’ (if she ever even ‘was’) in entertainment. Perhaps she is realising the enormity of Noa being a real little person and not a content maker you can put back in a box, the conclusion to a podcast. Perhaps she’s regretting not taking time to recover and get to know her daughter because she was too busy getting her figure back and acting the fool on IG.
I think the work/life balance will be really tough for her. She’s no spring chicken

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.