Jack Monroe #91 POOR (ISH)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What in the name of duck is she going on about on Twitter? About the chicken wings? It went from 0-100 real fast. “Oh I’m stripping down some chicken wi...I AM NOT HERE TO JUSTIFY MY ETHICS. YOU ARE SWIRLING OVER ME LIKE VULTURES”

• Haha
Reactions: 50
I'm aware of Jack, I know 'of' her & this thread, I've scrolled through it a few times so I have the measure of her. Whilst scrolling through Twitter when doing the night feed, she had been retweeted or liked so appeared on my timeline so I fell down the rabbit hole of reading down her feed. I hate to be 'that person' as I haven't avidly read all the posts on here - but why is she claiming to be so poor ? Wasn't she in a relationship with a fairly well known tv personality, as I would say Jack is herself ? For someone who is in her position - tv cook, published books etc, £20 a week for a food shop seems very odd.
Also, I would sell the clothes of my back & all my belongings (including my expensive smart phone & digital radios!) before I served my children a constant diet of 'cooking' bacon, cheap sausages & kidney bean curry !! I
Does her long & complex list of ailments include a personality disorder ? As this just seems attention seeking & woe is me as it just doesn't add up at all !

• Heart
Reactions: 65
I'm aware of Jack, I know 'of' her & this thread, I've scrolled through it a few times so I have the measure of her. Whilst scrolling through Twitter when doing the night feed, she had been retweeted or liked so appeared on my timeline so I fell down the rabbit hole of reading down her feed. I hate to be 'that person' as I haven't avidly read all the posts on here - but why is she claiming to be so poor ? Wasn't she in a relationship with a fairly well known tv personality, as I would say Jack is herself ? For someone who is in her position - tv cook, published books etc, £20 a week for a food shop seems very odd.
Also, I would sell the clothes of my back & all my belongings (including my expensive smart phone & digital radios!) before I served my children a constant diet of 'cooking' bacon, cheap sausages & kidney bean curry !! I
Does her long & complex list of ailments include a personality disorder ? As this just seems attention seeking & woe is me as it just doesn't add up at all !
Exactly. She lies about everything for attention. 2 plus 2 equals 79 in her world.

Reactions: 26
She was poor and now isn’t I think? And instead of using her newfound privileged platform to move on like a normal person ie buying some usual food bank staples every week (while buying duplicates to actually donate too) and showing you what you can make she just...is a massive bleeping twit. A massive bleeping twit with all her complex issues and needs and embellishments.

She could have done a lot. She could have pre COVID got a team of volunteers together to maybe cook up stuff near her house? Offer one free meal a week to local families if they fancy popping down?

• Heart
Reactions: 27
An acquaintance of mine was arguing the exact same thing recently about fast fashion, and her right to buy 3€ T-shirts. I had to walk away. There is so much human suffering so that we in the affluent parts of the West can enjoy cheap tit.

I found this old article:

Which is very very funny because it opens with There isn’t much furniture in Jack Monroe’s flat in Southend-on-Sea. How times have changed.

But also, this telling bit:

Jamie Oliver just can’t match that. She points out that in his recent book, Save With Jamie, all of his recipes call for Uncle Ben’s rice. “That’s not really a money-saver, is it? If you really cared about saving money you’d pay 40p a kilo for long-grain rice. I’ve been approached countless times by various brands like that. I wouldn’t rule it out — I do need to earn money. But I couldn’t endorse anything that wasn’t the best possible value.”

Except that it's not about value, it's purely about price. She will never, ever go, "This cheese is 30p more but has more flavour so you can use less of it." She'll go, "30p??? Where are you getting 30p from, Tory?!"

I don't think I've ever eaten Uncle Ben's rice, but it has its place. If you don't know how to cook rice and you're worried about ruining ingredients, it's a starting point. If you have a little more money but a lot less time, convenience food can help. Plus, using those ingredients at first is a good way of gradually becoming confident in the kitchen and more capable of cooking for yourself. There are always nuances. She never sees them.
"Austerity's poster girl" 🤢🤢

Also LOL

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 10.48.40.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
I honestly would be surprised if she has savings. I think a lot of them have been spunked on Cotswold Co, Edinburgh trips, various high end white goods and electronics, kitten vet appointments, Ocado deliveries, the list goes on.
I am with you. She spends her money as it rolls it, Why did she see the need to save when she had wealthy (or relatively wealthy) partners to pay for the boring stuff and plan for the future. We all know people like that, lovely homes but live with credit card debt to the max, and payday to payday.

I now see why her partners all leave, they too are the target of her grifting. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she never paid when they went out for meals, never paid for her (never been on) holidays, never paid for clothes, or never paid for the weekly shop. Once a leach, always a leach.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
I don’t have an issue with a Patreon as people who sign up are paying to receive something (it’s a different story should they not receive what they signed up for). A tip jar is a different kettle of fish and I’ve just sat here feeling completely saddened for the person who parted with her £20. I run a small business and it’s hard but when someone buys something you create - it makes you feel a sense of pride. I’d feel revolting if I was just given money - more so if the person giving was clearly a lot worse off then myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
I don’t know a whole lot about her as a person other than I really don’t like her. Does she by any chance have any “chronic illnesses”? I say “chronic illnesses” because there’s two types of people in this world. People with chronic illnesses and people with “chronic illnesses” and my god I’ve known a few. She seems the type to have a Tumblr and list all her ailments in her bio. “GERD WARRIOR” I get wild heartburn too hun. Survivor.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Truth three: a lifestyle that prioritises excessive material consumption over food quality is fucked up, and this is exactly what Jack represents, and why she winds us up quite so much.
Very true and I think most of us are probably guilty of that to some extent. We've had such a huge shift in what we value in our society over a relatively short space of time. We might want airpods and sideboards and Vivienne Westwood dresses, but we don't need any of that stuff.

We all should have a right to quality food in appropriate quantities to meet our dietary needs. That should not be a luxury but very sadly right now for many people it is.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
I don’t know a whole lot about her as a person other than I really don’t like her. Does she by any chance have any “chronic illnesses”? I say “chronic illnesses” because there’s two types of people in this world. People with chronic illnesses and people with “chronic illnesses” and my god I’ve known a few. She seems the type to have a Tumblr and list all her ailments in her bio. “GERD WARRIOR” I get wild heartburn too hun. Survivor.
Yes she does. Whenever anyone criticises her she throws the ADHD back at people and in the process reinforces negative stereo types about ADHD behaviours. Several posters here actually have ADHD and often highlight how Jack is making a mockery of the condition and the genuine people who have it.

Jack goes through weekly cycles of chaotic attention seeking and then when an ounce of scrutiny comes her way she gets very defensive and lists the reasons "self diagnosed illnesses" as a reason she can't be criticised. She ends up doing twitter rants telling everyone to get off her back, essentially. Even in the aftermath of George Floyd's death she had the audacity to say she couldn't breathe for all the 'scrutiny'.

She constantly lies and contradicts them, yet people still fawn all over her.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
Did a 2 week shop for £42 the other day (family of 4! Skills!!)
Real life on universal credit
Non perishable frozen food
Lots of frozen veg
One ready meal of curry for example and a bag of rice / naan breads and veg on the side.

But no jack thinks people on benefits want to eat like people at the groucho

Nah jack.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
Exactly this. As a freelancer in any capacity, by the time you reach your 30s you should have this mentality of saving when the going is good down pat.

I've mentioned before my upbringing isn't anywhere near Jack's (my Dad is a postman, Mum worked at Tesco most of her life) but I've learnt that saving when the money is coming in is essential because you can suddenly be without work for a month or four. I was a dick in my 20s and had nothing saved so it took a while to learn but I also don't have a child who depends on me.

If Jack is genuinely 'poor' by whatever standards she judges it, it isn't our fault she can't budget for tit. Jack's not the only freelancer in the world but she is the only freelancer I know who would take money from those poorer than herself in exchange for unkept promises.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
And why are none of her followers shouting "how are you going to afford a dog when you can barely afford to feed your son?" !!

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 54
What in the name of duck is she going on about on Twitter? About the chicken wings? It went from 0-100 real fast. “Oh I’m stripping down some chicken wi...I AM NOT HERE TO JUSTIFY MY ETHICS. YOU ARE SWIRLING OVER ME LIKE VULTURES”
I would imagine what happened is that she caught up on here, and read us all condemning her for her crappy meat ethics 😏

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Is there any way to send the person who sent her money something in return? I'm so upset about that

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Sorry 🥺 despite much stomping I am stil 😤🤯
#Writer takes money from winter allowance recipient.

google jack Monroe tattle

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I am willing to take the hit and make this mushroom soup exactly as how she has written the recipe later this week! I will report back.
I did this with her lentil thing last week.. I had to add so much just to make it edible.
In the interests of honesty, I have the senses of smell and taste, don't hate food and enjoy cooking but still... Jaysus, her stuff is nasty.

Reactions: 16
Also Jack would roll her eyes and say we don't eat healthily

This is our 2 week meal plan (both weeks are the same!) until my husband gets paid. End of the month we're always slightly skint.
We eat more homely meals start of month.

Notepad_202010191109_44170.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 38
That's a Weber bbq as well = I have one the same size but slightly older / cheaper version. They go for £299 upwards - depending on the exact model: https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIptHmu7TA7AIVirHtCh2XtQmGEAAYASAAEgKdhvD_BwE

I'm just on a grunk to catch up since last night - I share everyone's anger :( with the grifting going on here...it's absolutely shameful.

View attachment 280242View attachment 280241

I think it may actually be one from Aldi. Pretty good value at £150. Well, it would be if you actually used it. I doubt she ever has time to relax in it because she's BUSY.
[/QUOTE]

• Wow
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.