Jack Monroe #90 Freezer of lies in a house of extravagant buys

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I live somewhere that sounds similar to those. The only shop in my town is a tiiiiiiiny Co op and it's prohibitively expensive. We have a fairly large population of elderly and financially vulnerable people. The nearest big Tesco is 50 minutes away in the car (there's a smaller one closer, but that's still a good thirty minutes away and isn't ideal for a varied shop on a budget.) I'm lucky because a) I have a car and b) my workplace is near the big Tesco so I don't even have to make a separate journey, but when the buses stopped over lockdown, a lot of people were very reliant on others in the community, or found their grocery bills went up if they chose instead to shop at the Co op. I was shopping for four people, not including myself, over lockdown. Feel guilty for not doing more but I began to feel like I was living at Tesco 🙃

For that matter, the bus service is notoriously unreliable (rural area, out in the sticks) and people are now petitioning the council to provide an alternative.

I still think people here have it easier than in other places (that don't have a Co op fairly central to the town), but seeing how people have struggled through lockdown, and presumably before lockdown too (Covid has been a real eye opener) it really puts Jack's whinging about a 20 minute walk to ASDA into perspective.
The place you live sounds almost exactly the same as where I live. Co Op does seem to set up shop in food desert type places; a few rural towns in my area have them as the main or only grocery shop. Not saying they have nefarious intentions but it’s odd and very hard on the pockets as they are so expensive! Sure they are supposedly pretty ethical but it doesn’t sit right with me that they are the only option for people who don’t have much (they have also recently downgraded their loyalty scheme from 5% back on own brand to 2%... yes I noticed, where’s my book deal?)

Jack is so lucky to have several supermarkets within walking distance, plus more by bus distance, and her parents to drive her shopping back if need be

Also on a random note @Cuileann I love your username because it reminds me of a cute kids’ show on BBC Alba (Piseag agus Cuilean). Different word I know but makes me smile anyway!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
With wishing to triangulate myself and the industry I work in, have a look at Polly Neate's account who is the CEO of Shelter.

• Wow
Reactions: 23
He's probably just a very nice person who hasn't really paid much attention to Jack other than knowing her name vaguely and her mentioning Rebus umpty billion times on Twitter. He's not exactly part of the London wahwah artyfarty hole crowd.
I've met him a few times in different places for different things, and he's always friendly on Twitter. He's a genuinely lovely person to spend time with and the only way he's even remotely like Jack is that he's so busy doing other stuff all the time I do wonder how he manages to fit in the day job. It's all good stuff he's up to though, you wouldn't catch him pissing about with yellow sticker wet chicken in St Andrews Square Sainsburys.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Swooping in during a massive grunk to add this. Jack maybe you need to chill out a bit!
CAC28876-A92A-4459-B16C-C218CD9EFD64.jpeg

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 36
And the odd box veg delivery.

I too am really sad/angry.

There is so much uncertainty at the moment about where people are going to get their next paycheck from and she messes around with £20 as though it is all she has in the world. We know what fortune she has in the form of expensive goods she has at home that she could easily marketplace or eBay if the rent is too high.

it might have been fun and games for her as Brexit loomed a year ago, but with the shadow of a second lockdown on the horizon and numerous professions wiped out, no one seems to be laughing anymore.

like others, I have reached peak Jack today.
And of course the milkman who delivers a wide range, not just milk 🥛

Reactions: 36
I've met him a few times in different places for different things, and he's always friendly on Twitter. He's a genuinely lovely person to spend time with and the only way he's even remotely like Jack is that he's so busy doing other stuff all the time I do wonder how he manages to fit in the day job. It's all good stuff he's up to though, you wouldn't catch him pissing about with yellow sticker wet chicken in St Andrews Square Sainsburys.
They named a street after him in his home town and he felt that having his first name as well was a bit too pretentious and would have preferred just Rankin Close. No side at all and happily unveiled the sign. Can you imagine Twatface if Southend council had a brainfart and decided on Jack Monroe Towerblock for povos?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
This is the hill I may die on. I think I am going to have to rewatch the Home Edit just so I don’t wade in on this.

How can an ex-vegan talk like this? I thought I had reached peakdom thirty minutes ago, but she is like one of those mountains you climb where you keep getting false summits. This is my new peak Jack.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
This is the hill I may die on. I think I am going to have to rewatch the Home Edit just so I don’t wade in on this.

How can an ex-vegan talk like this? I thought I had reached peakdom thirty minutes ago, but she is like one of those mountains you climb where you keep getting false summits. This is my new peak Jack.
She was never vegan. Just another cosplay.

Reactions: 40
@MrsOgre your profile picture 😂

Ive avoided today as she’s proving time and time again why nobody should feel sorry for her. She has an lie excuse ready for everything and just look at the way someone was jumped on for stating the obvious truth. What a vile woman. I’ve never hated anyone before but she’s coming very close with the damage she’s doing to genuine souls in distress and poverty.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Out of interest, could this weeks shop create anchioade? Because I can’t wait for the word being used constantly for the next week.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
She’s a bodybuilder now. Ok then. Because walking a mile is too hard but you want lift with the best of them.

I need to go and make some donut scarves ( spelling is deliberately incorrect 😏).

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.