Jack Monroe #90 Freezer of lies in a house of extravagant buys

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's a lot bigger than the price of the tins etc in the supermarkets. To keep the prices down many people growing packing and distribution and selling are being underpaid. Tinned tomatoes from southern Europe for example.

Answering myself- found it. And its modern slavery today. Or rather anti. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/20/tomatoes-italy-mafia-migrant-labour-modern-slavery
Exactly! The way she sees this issue is so simplistic. I saw ridiculously cheap pine nuts in Aldi recently - my first thought was that pine nuts are expensive because they have to be hand picked, so somewhere down the line people must be being underpaid to enable them to be sold for 2 quid a bag. I understand that not everyone has the ability to shop ethically but jack absolutely does have the financial freedom to make better choices! She'd just rather spend her money on sideboards and sentient mirrors and renting an unnecessarily large house.

She just doesn't bleeping care at all yet has this insatiable need for everyone to think she is some kind of activist hero when she is actually worse than a lot of us regular non-famous people who don't feel the need to shout about how much more morally superior we are? I dislike her

• Heart
Reactions: 44
When I read between the lines here, what she's really saying is:

'I can't believe everyone is praising Marcus Rashford, how dare they forget that it was ME that was doing this first so give some bleeping attention to ME now. wah wah wah I'm a big spoiled baby with freakishly oversized adenoids'

View attachment 279423
So Jack would rather food producers and their employees were paid a pittance so she can still buy beans for 9p? 🙄

I wish I got paid for saving receipts, going by the bottom of my handbag I'd be a rather well off frau by now.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Oooh make it make sense! Jack you've forgotten your lie, you humpty. You make 2 trips because you know the exact minute your yellow stickers are available. It's nothing to do with the weight of your backpack.

If you want someone to give you a trolley, can you just ask for it?
I wonder how courteous she is when the staff are reducing stuff .I lifted a joint of meat after it was yellow stickered and a member of staff said let me price it down again some cheeky bugger grabbed it out of her hands ☹She soon got told by her that it was already for the "lady" me 😂.She said the woman does it all the time !Think you should think of yellow stickered as a wee bonus that stop's stuff going to waste and don't be greedy and take everything

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 39
It's seems to me that she only cares about herself. She should really be leaving the yellow stickers for the actual skint people and dipping into her savings in my opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Reactions: 30
Just counted the radishes in the bag in my fridge, there's 15. If I eat the whole bag by dipping them into swamp sardine swill how many will i have left? Enough to feed myself for several days apparently. Who knew radishes were self replicating.
(Whispers) Well, they do repeat on me like anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Those maize snacks are foul they taste out of date and are soft. You can buy normal crisps for something like 20 for 2.99 they last us weeks.
But there’s always the chance that normal crisps might be crunchy, or, you know, “crisp”, and that would never do @Lanie — fear of taste and texture extends even to snacks. She definitely has issues with texture/ouchy mouth...

here’s tonight’s nightmare for you Jackie, if you’re reading 😉 —crispy crunchy and strong wafts of cheese and onion coming your way;

1603027669821.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
She really gets on my (34A) tits on a Sunday so I had a go at a little creative writing. Please be KIND dear hearts, I'm feeling very SHY about it.
It was a perishingly cold day in Southend on Sea and Jack knew her double denim wouldn't cut it. She dug out her trusty Burberry coat and scarf and fingered her tip jar. A £50 note fell out. "I'll use £20 for my food shop so that's £30 I've saved already" she mused.

Her kitchen cupboards were stripped bare, apart from the last few jars of lemon curd and anchoïade. "I won't just throw those away", she chuckled to herself.

Jack checked her Seamaster. There was just time to read 3 books and whip up 33 ready meals before she would have to quietly take the wheelbarrow to Asda.

She started making a list of all the food that had been vanishing for the last 20 years and wailed. How would she be able to afford baked beans now, the bastards? "Greedy goblins!" She wailed and she opened her door for her Ocado delivery.

Very many emails arrived....Grey Goose, Lambs, Famous Grouse...Were they not familiar with her body of work?! "This cannot be even 90% vegan!" She typed back furiously. Relentlessly campaigning for animal welfare, Jack stuffed another devilled egg into her famished mouth and gleefully defrosted some cheap wet ham.

"The shelves will almost be stripped bare by the local peasant people" Jack fretted, while placing another Ocado order. She checked her Seamaster again. Yes, she could definitely fit in a quick Grunka first.

THE END.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 104
Looks like the Rebus comments worked and she’s hooked lovely Ian Rankin. She loves a Blue Ticker.

I wonder what he thinks of Jack’s remarks about the death of David Cameron‘s son, Ivan. He has a son with special needs himself and spoke movingly of his sorrow at not being able to see his son during the pandemic.

Oooh - how about someone scampering about the country after claiming to be immunocompromised, jollies to Edinburgh on the sleeper just as we started to come out of lockdown not to mention her poverty cosplaying.

Perhaps he sees her as research!
He's probably just a very nice person who hasn't really paid much attention to Jack other than knowing her name vaguely and her mentioning Rebus umpty billion times on Twitter. He's not exactly part of the London wahwah artyfarty hole crowd.

It might be 🔺️ but my claim to fame is once sharing a staff lift with Ian Rankin at a previous workplace 😁. I got in a back area lift at the Royal Museum in Edinburgh and so did someone from the PR department together with a quiet dark man who looked vaguely familiar and who smiled at me in greeting. I chatted to my colleague until we got to my office floor and I got out. I only found out in the evening paper that Ian Rankin had been there to launch his new book next to the Arthur's Seat miniature coffins! I also ran a youth group for years in his home town with people who'd grown up alongside him. All said that he was the same person as before with no side to him whatsoever.

And, unlike Twak, I doubt that he ever has to - or ever would - ask whether people are familiar with his body of work 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Oh my god.

First, she doesn't understand anything about food prices. She genuinely can't look past "cheaper is better", which ignores all the workers behind that price tag. I've mentioned before that I have friends in agriculture; this is a big problem in a lot of countries (here we kind of venerate the noble peasant as a cultural symbol, the traditional farmer's hat is a big part of the national dress etc...but we stick our fingers in our ears when it comes to paying them a fair wage). It's gross that an "influencer" shows so little interest.

Second, yes to all who said that supermarkets are rebranding value food. Growing up in South Africa, the value range in the supermarket was literally called "No Name Brand". Buying that tit is humiliating - I would much rather go to Lidl and buy a normal-looking Harvest Moon tin, you know?

Third, why does she think poor people should survive on the cheapest, nastiest muck? Shopping on a budget should never mean filling your basket with value spaghetti hoops (or any spaghetti hoops for that matter. They are an abomination!). It should be about stretching ingredients and avoiding waste. It should also be about exploring which value stuff is fine, and which is not.

For example, those sausages? No. They should not be recommended to man or beast. Some things - flour, frozen fruit and veg, yogurt etc - are perfectly fine cheap. Buy cheap plain yogurt and mix with fruit, rather than Muller Corners or whatever (this may seem obvious, but it's clear from a lot of online commentary that there are people who benefit from this type of advice). She should be comparing loose veg prices with packaged veg, looking at BOGOFs and 2x3s to see if they're really worthwhile, etc. Instead she just thinks poor = cheapest tit around.

Finally, my Lidl is 3km away, a 40-minute walk (no good bus connections). I go every couple of weeks, and I actually have a job. Give it a go, Jack. The fresh air will be good for you!

ETA: She is convinced that Brexit will make her relevant again. Remember peeky_mink predicting food riots? She can't wait for it, the selfish twit.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
I remember my first rent being £17 a month, and Mars Bars being 21/2p (6d old money). My parent's first rent was 19 shillings a week. What has that got to do with prices today?
My mum likes to tell me she could go to the cinema and get a toffee for a penny. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Did we ever hear any more about the fan mail she begged people to write to her via some poor fecker at her publishers?
Surely that should have been flooding in by the sackful by now.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.