Jack Monroe #90 Freezer of lies in a house of extravagant buys

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember buying a can of coke a chocolate bar and crisps with a quid on the 90s those days are long gone, but guess what I moved on.
Yeah, I remember drinking 47 vodka lime sodas, taking party drugs and clubbing for 16 hours in the 90s, DOESN'T HAPPEN ANYMORE JUST SAYING.

• Haha
Reactions: 51
I don't know anything about the area in which she lives but how far is too far and what else is she doing today they she couldn't walk it.
Aldi is about a 14 minute car ride, or an hour 20 minute walk, fair enough. Could get the bus though I suppose for the journey back.
It's a shame she doesn't have any family that could do a click collect pick up for her though. Oh, wait...........

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Back from my walk and 7 pages to Gunka, but I wanted to comment on her getting on her high horse about Smart pice items disappearing from the shops. Well as far as I am concerned that is not necessarily a bad thing. They tasted awful, full of salt and sugar to make them palatable, and are just not a healthy choice for anyone. I am one in her target demographic, but I would rather make something from seasonal cheap ingredients that eat that rubbish.

Back to IncyGunka, thankfully not too many pages.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Don’t these fools (her included OBVS) realise that these bean prices were loss leaders due to a price war between Tesco, Aldi, Lidl etc? Those prices weren’t sustainable forever. Tesco still do value beans at 23p a can but it’s under the Stockwell brand. Sainsbury’s hubbard’s at 22p and Asda smart price at 23p. A lot of the own brand value ranges have been rebranded by supermarkets to look like regular brands, probably to make it’s offering as a whole look more upmarket and also probably to reduce the stigma of a basket full of “blue stripe shite” as the Tesco stuff was called by some wags back in the day.
I didnt want to be seen with value range stuff. I knew I shouldnt have been embarassed but I still was. She treats it like a novelty and a tool for her cosplay. Supermarket rebranding it like Stockwells was a good idea, imo. Its a cheaper option without having it so blatent. When I used the food bank, I felt crappy when it would be all value stuff. You can have nicer things ffs.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
I don't know anything about the area in which she lives but how far is too far and what else is she doing today they she couldn't walk it.
And let's remember this is Jack "I average 25k steps (11 miles) a day indoors" Monroe, she should be used to walking, no?

• Haha
Reactions: 43
The next thread title doesn't need any tweaking, it's direct from our little spaghetti hoop: #91 This is happening FAST

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
But that's a WHOLE £1. What if I didn't have a whole £1??!

(I did have a whole £1, just channelling my inner Jack. Thank(space)you for the tip!)
It's mix and match with tins of kidney beans, chick peas, etc, so you could get all the ingredients for a big batch of slop for £1, Professor! Alternatively I think they're about 35p per single tin.

Reactions: 26
Doesn't anyone live near enough to be at Asda when she says she's going ...you could check and see if she actually arrives there.

Too stalkerish?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
True - the longer you think about it the weirder it gets. I'm just sitting here wondering why going to the supermarket on a Sunday and then cooking meals with what you bought is presented like Homer's Odyssey and not A TOTALLY NORMAL THING TO DO.
And why does she consider it to be a job? One that she pretends to work at 80 hours a week, while reading a book a day, whilst never relaxing, whilst taking dinosaur naps, whilst..........Oh I give up.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Has she bothered to contact Asda or any retailer to find out their views and arm herself with the full facts?

No, sure why would you do that when you can whip up online fury and direct it their way, upping your engagement and profile in the process. Easy!

As other posters have pointed out, there's a bleeping global pandemic on in case she hasn't noticed. My local supermarket is Tesco and I am actually grateful to them for keeping going and keeping food on the shelves during all this and wouldn't want to add to their workload at this critical time by inciting a social media pile on?

I am very far from the south east of England, so well down the pecking order in terms of food supply. Likely to be severely impacted by Brexit also.

She is a dick.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
It's mix and match with tins of kidney beans, chick peas, etc, so you could get all the ingredients for a big batch of slop for £1, Professor! Alternatively I think they're about 35p per single tin.
This begs the question of why Jack doesn't know this and promote it, since they are all things she uses regularly. That would seem to me to be a great tip for value shopping in order to make a few meals.

• Sick
Reactions: 24
When I read between the lines here, what she's really saying is:

'I can't believe everyone is praising Marcus Rashford, how dare they forget that it was ME that was doing this first so give some bleeping attention to ME now. wah wah wah I'm a big spoiled baby with freakishly oversized adenoids'

Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 1.38.05 pm.png

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.