Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 257783View attachment 257784

Pictures from Beyond Baked Beans Budget by Fiona Beckett. There were three books in the BBB series of student cookbooks, and I still have them now (I graduated in 2011). As you can see, she goes into a lot of detail (4 pages) about where to shop for what, and provides logical meal plans and recipes - for example, there's a bit on stretching a chicken over 5 days, or a pack of mince over 4. There's also a recipe for sweet and sour sauce that doesn't involve opening a jar.

These are really great books for anyone on a budget and/or new to cooking, and Beyond Baked Beans Green is all vegetarian and has a lot of vegan recipes too (not 90%). No pictures, but simple, clear recipes that have clearly been tried and tested. Seriously, look for them on Amazon if you want to help any students or similar become confident cooks.

Having said all that, Fiona Beckett led me to discover Jack, thanks to a blog post back in the day...oh well, nobody's perfect.
Thank you very much, this looks excellent!

And thank you to everyone for all the meal planning and recipe suggestions - there's so much gold in these threads but they move so fast 😅 I'm a fairly chaotic, wasteful cook and I find it tough to stick to meal plans so I probably could do with starting from scratch 🤦‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Fraus, I was shocked to discover last week that my local Asda has entirely got rid of its reduced section (🔺), probably due to the covid-y rugby scrum of people always lurking around it. Is it terrible of me to hope that Southend Asda follows suit?
Did you ask what happens to the reduced food?
My local Marks and Spencer x 2 stopped reducing in the fresh bakery section a long time ago, nothing to do with Covid. They said they donate to a homeless charity. However, one day I wanted to buy some very bruised bananas for cake making and they said they couldn’t sell them to me and would be dumping them in the bin. 🤦‍♀️

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
Actually I find the best place for bargains is my Sainsbury’s local. When I was in this morning there was loads of vegan stuff (nobody wants it). I regularly get their meatballs in the bargain section and pop in then in the freezer.

Reactions: 13
More triangulation details. Thought you were concerned for your safety Jack?🙄 I wonder if she’ll use the new Aldi in Shoebury when that opens.
I like how she gets a mention of trains in too. Sainsburys is in town, you can get a bus from TB. It’s just up the road from Wilkos ffs.

@Alansbigplate amazing photoshop and brilliant avatar for @Emmapism!

Loads of people in her mentions (on facebook and twitter) have been telling her about the Too Good To Go etc apps - you know, the ones which alert you to the deals from local supermarkets / shops / restaurants at the end of the day, where you can pick up a box of wonky veg etc for, like £3 or whatever. I wonder why she hasn't mentioned them yet.
I have that app and hardly anything shows up around here. If it doesn’t benefit her she won’t bother tweeting about it! (Watch her tweet about it now😂)

• Haha
Reactions: 19
This is better than the mona lisa alan! your photoshops always make me laugh so much 🤣 imagine this popping up on your pc though *shudder*

"It looks like you're trying to access Microsoft word. Get to absolute duck. Heres the link to my patreon"
It looks like you’re lying about writing a book, need some help? 😐😐😐😐

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Actually I find the best place for bargains is my Sainsbury’s local. When I was in this morning there was loads of vegan stuff (nobody wants it). I regularly get their meatballs in the bargain section and pop in then in the freezer.
I’ve found one main Sainsbury’s is a lot better for reductions than the one closest to me. It’s also quieter.

Reactions: 10
5 pages behind so someone has already said this but sadly she’s been outshined by that massive bleeping Cotswold number!! Look at the size of it?! I’m off to see how much that beast would set a frau back x

It looks like an Extra Large Dresser Top sat upon a Grand Sideboard, totalling a rather modest £1499. Appears staged especially for Frauen Eyes Only.

And the best bit is ....... wait for it conspiracy wankers ..... the Grand Sideboard alone weighs ..... 92 Kgs ..... plus 1 kg of packaging for the beast!! 💪

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 61
I'm not even sure if its on purpose - it seems practically impossible for Jack to pose anywhere in her house without a piece of Cotswold furniture being somewhere in the background! My 60 year old mother would be very jealous.

• Haha
Reactions: 49
How many cotswold pieces in total then? It's got to the point where I can't tell if these are repeats or not?!

• Haha
Reactions: 25
What a Serious Writer she is, the Brontës have nothing on the Bard of Southend!

View attachment 257912
Revisiting this image I’ve clocked - she’s cosplaying as the the Prosecco huns / Fiat 500 Twitter that come to central to do their Christmas shopping and Winter Wonderland. Each year there’s a different uniform but generous dashings of faux fur and designer accessories are their omnipresent truth.

Not digging them out at all, but has anyone checked on Megan Barton-Hanson recently as this is all v single white female 😱

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
This ridiculous woman! Does she know how lucky she is to have a book deal at all? It’s an opportunity plenty of people would give their right arm for. And yet here she is, moaning and whinging about this massive privilege as if she is a sulky kid that’s not done their homework.
If it’s such hard work to squeeze the thing out, what makes you think we’ll want to read it??
Can you imagine other writers carrying on like this? Nigella, Jamie, Nigel, Yotam, Chetna? FFS. And what makes it worse is that this is her “important and serious” poverty book.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 32
Babe, same. Textbook same! I feel like my hair is shrinking at the moment - not falling out, but thinner and just generally magically less of it. Lil' baby fluff at the temples. Ill-advised fringe receding into oblivion. Flash photography, between the thin spots and the hirsutism, is my nemesis. Chest bumps another soul cyster

In terms of foodstuffs, I am a slimy mushroom atop a radiator.
Babes, same. Can recommend root touch up spray to make it look thicker. My hair is dark so it really shows up where it’s thin.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Liz Jones makes me physically sick with her attitude to money and her absolute lack of self-reflection. Says it all that Jack entertains communication with her.

• Angry
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.