Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean, she was still doing basic initial “research” (i.e. printing out pages from Wikipedia ffs) a few days ago. I doubt she’s even sketched out a structure/outline for this book. And she has less than a fortnight left.
Actually she's got a couple of days left, if her twitter postings to Liz Jones are accurate.
Omg thank you for sourcing this! That thing is bleeping huge?!

I don’t understand why you’d buy such a mammoth piece of furniture, this is nothing to do with the price / renting / whatever, but it’s bleeping ginormous?! It’s not the type of thing every home would have somewhere sensible to put it so seems like a ridiculous item to buy unless you are indeed 60 and unlikely to move again?
It kind of makes sense that it would come in 2 pieces because who could get the whole thing through their front door HOWEVER I'm kind of shocked that the top bit is just perched on the bottom bit? What if it falls over? It's a potential death trap!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
She owns a ton of status symbol tit. She pretends most of it is gifted, found in mud, or bought from a charity shop for 2p.
Yep it’s so weird. I like nice things and love to get good quality things from secondhand shops if I can but having a $500+ (or whatever it was) scarf is of 0 interest to me and I would just feel weird wearing it. Plus even though she’s quickly losing followers she is a public figure and by wearing Burberry she is actually promoting that lifestyle.

Reactions: 19
I'm not even sure if its on purpose - it seems practically impossible for Jack to pose anywhere in her house without a piece of Cotswold furniture being somewhere in the background! My 60 year old mother would be very jealous.
i am pretty jealous of the amount she has spent of flash furniture, and the sideboards are lovely but 4 is more than enough you are going to put up with them for quite a while if you save spent £4k on them. Unless you rake in £100k+ per year for mostly twatting about on twitter.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Actually I find the best place for bargains is my Sainsbury’s local. When I was in this morning there was loads of vegan stuff (nobody wants it). I regularly get their meatballs in the bargain section and pop in then in the freezer.
I can recommend the reduced section in Lidl they seem to reduce early mornings. I live about 3 mins from one and around 7.30am is a good time for 70p and 20p bargains on a lucky day.

Reactions: 15
Actually she's got a couple of days left, if her twitter postings to Liz Jones are accurate.

It kind of makes sense that it would come in 2 pieces because who could get the whole thing through their front door HOWEVER I'm kind of shocked that the top bit is just perched on the bottom bit? What if it falls over? It's a potential death trap!
Be awful if it just, I don’t know, fell over

• Haha
Reactions: 21
i am pretty jealous of the amount she has spent of flash furniture, and the sideboards are lovely but 4 is more than enough you are going to put up with them for quite a while if you save spent £4k on them. Unless you rake in £100k+ per year for mostly twatting about on twitter.

nah, she found them in a skip behind wilkos, lugged them home with the 36 litres of paint

• Haha
Reactions: 33

Don’t give her ideas! We know she has a pattern of sustaining “injuries” just before important deadlines. I foresee a catastrophic sideboard-related accident in the next day or two ...

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Thankfully all the Denby & Le Crueset only cost 40 pence.

Agreed it’s a death trap, I do hope it’s been secured to the wall? And properly, with super long screws, not by our death trap DIYer!
Screwed to the wall? SHE RENTS!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 46
You've already won the "spookiest halloween icon" and its only September 😄

Hells bells, JM must have at least 5K in cotswold furniture alone. I hope she doesnt have to resort to turning it to kindling as she shivers in the eaves of her big cold empty bedroom(s), in her bloody huge crappy little bungalow.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
For me a successful meal plan factors in that it's hard to predict exactly how the week pans out. I'm a big fan of having ingredients ready prepped in the fridge so I can assemble meals quickly. I'm vegan, so for me that means I have one or two types of pulses ready cooked in the fridge (they keep for around five days either in water or dressed), vegetables ready sliced or diced (root veg in airtight containers in water, other veg just sliced or chopped in airtight containers), some veg is great steamed and ready to go (sweet potatoes, butternut squash).I also gave one or two grains that takes longer than 10 minutes to cook (brown rice, quinoa, etc) ready in the fridge. I typically prep on sundays, but I'm not religious about it.
I then have several meals in mind for the week, depending on exactly what I've got in.
For example, I can make a quick lentil loaf (sautee onion, garlic and carrots with rosemary, add cooked lentils, oats, some stock and mustard, mix, put in loaf ton, bake) and put some veggies on a roasting tray alongside it.
Next day I might have stir fry of my ready prepped veg with rice noodles and a satay sauce.
The following day veggie burgers made out of the quinoa, some steamed sweet potatoes and beans. Served with a salad and potato wedges.
And then perhaps a veggie chilli with some brown rice.

But there are lots of meals you could create from those ingredients and that's the point. Maybe it gets hot and you just want a big salad with beans,steamed veggies and a nice dressing. Or you want a hearty soup. You can go either way, which means you aren't ridgedly stuck to a meal that no one fancies at that moment.

Home cooking is about being flexible within a structure. I'd hate to start each evening completely new. But I also dont want to eateftovers all the time. Prepping ingredients is a good compromise.
This is all so delicious and reasonable, thank you! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.