Jack Monroe #76 £300 mirror mirror on the wall, who’s the poorest of us all?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What has she got against having parts of the meal seperate on the plate? You know, like here's the potaoes (mash or chips or boiled), here's the meat (or fish) and here's the veg, with a bit of gravy (or parsley sauce on fish) if you're being fancy. Why does everything have to be one congealed mass? I love a winter stew, one pot pasta bake or a casserole, but wouldn't want the same style of meal every night.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
I’d be raging if I was SB’s stepmother. Jack claims to have stalkers and have had CPS (lol) called on her etc, she really should not be randomly bringing up anyone else’s kids

The point could have been made by using a hypothetical child, like many other people have. She doesn’t realise that other people mention their child/grandchild/niece/nephew because it’s emotive - it makes you think “poor X’s child, and poor X too for feeling crap about it”. Saying her son’s sister (stepsister? I can’t remember) implies little personal connection, she may as well have just said “a child”. But of course, narcs gotta narc and she had to fit herself in there somewhere

• Heart
Reactions: 35
if she sticks with the poll it's Baked Tuna, Courgette, Mushroom & Cheese Gratin

sounds wet
🤣🤣🤣
The first meal that I had after the birth of my son (in a Canadian-run missionary hospital*) was tuna casserole. I had never had such a thing before and couldn't believe how tasty it was. The basic ingredients were tinned tuna, Campbell's condensed mushroom soup, macaroni, topped with crushed up crisps and grated cheese, so the topping was crunchy and golden. My four year old daughter tucked in and declared it delicious and so it became a regular on the family menu for quite a long time (alongside homemade steak pie, roasts, curries, proper dinners, etc). She got a craving for it when she was pregnant and so I had to make it exactly the same way. Sometimes storecupboard makeshift dinners like that can make warm feels in your heart (like my mum's Vesta curries, even though she could make a brilliant authentic Goan curry) that you carry with you. I doubt that the SB will have the same sentimental attachment to Mackie's mucky dinners.

*incidentally, that's the first place where I ever ate PB and J together.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Correct me if I’m wrong fraus, however wouldn’t it have been more beneficial for her to do like a homemade pizza?

So when Covid first hit, you may all remember I did some volunteering in a food bank. And as part of that we put together a pack for adults and children with a ‘create your own pizza’. A fun activity where parents can spend time with their children creating their own pizza and putting toppings on and having a chat over what’s the best flavours. They went down a treat, the feedback was great and it cost on average about £1.50 per pack and that was with juice cartons for children - all using donations from the local supermarkets. We’d put the cheese and tomato and pepperoni and ham in little containers for them to do it themselves and some pizza dough.

Now considering the fact JM apparently spends her evenings with her son, wouldn’t it be great for him to have an input on the foods he eats, coupled with some time with Mama and discussion. Oh and something that isn’t a bake or slop?! This sort of thing would be great to go to her jackolytes with, but I think it requires far too much brainpower for her.
She can’t because she can’t use that #gifted pizza oven because she’s lost the use of her hands since she carried it all the way to her friend’s house that time

• Haha
Reactions: 51
Cant find the original post about scaremongering, but 100% that. It’s all very well and good using the fear of vulnerable pregnant women to make a point, but there are people who will be distressed about their upcoming labours reading these tweets. I feel the same about black cab drivers and their sudden interest in rape culture that begins & ends with uber drivers who just happen to be cannibalising their trade 🥴 If your activism begins & ends at alarming people to further your ends then it’s trash and you’re a bleep.

Also wouldn’t it be sufficient to just say siblings birthday or family birthdays, why has she got to doxx a child? She’s grotesque. I’d pay to be in step mum’s girls WhatsApp groups she must go bleeping IN 😂
I would pay many, many Bitcoin to see those messages!!
Can you imagine? Or to be a fly on the wall at one of their Mums' nights out!
Oh please Vlad, make it happen.....

• Haha
Reactions: 24
" Moonshine Mash first appeared in Cooking On A Bootstrap, a bootleg riff on polenta made with potatoes and corn. I so named it because ‘hooch’, or moonshine, is typically made from potatoes or corn, and the idea of my own sneaky irreverent take on something usually considered quite special rather tickled me. "

What is she talking about? Is she referring to moonshine or actual mash as special? What???

Reactions: 7
I have never seen her recipie for corn beef hash. I know loads of people low on funds who make that. You can actually make one tin of corn beef, beans and a few spuds make a pretty decent sized filling meal. Also colcannon is another good way to use up leftover food and also is quite fashionable ( weirdly) at the moment.
My father's speciality dish of corned beef hash (saved for those luxury camping holidays) play a major part in why I am now vegetarian.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Correct me if I’m wrong fraus, however wouldn’t it have been more beneficial for her to do like a homemade pizza?

So when Covid first hit, you may all remember I did some volunteering in a food bank. And as part of that we put together a pack for adults and children with a ‘create your own pizza’. A fun activity where parents can spend time with their children creating their own pizza and putting toppings on and having a chat over what’s the best flavours. They went down a treat, the feedback was great and it cost on average about £1.50 per pack and that was with juice cartons for children - all using donations from the local supermarkets. We’d put the cheese and tomato and pepperoni and ham in little containers for them to do it themselves and some pizza dough.

Now considering the fact JM apparently spends her evenings with her son, wouldn’t it be great for him to have an input on the foods he eats, coupled with some time with Mama and discussion. Oh and something that isn’t a bake or slop?! This sort of thing would be great to go to her jackolytes with, but I think it requires far too much brainpower for her.
That sounds lovely. If only Jack had a pizza oven!

*Oh poo, @Alansbigplate beat me to the pizza oven funny 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Just had a mini-Grunka - I cannot read the name Brenda without immediately thinking of this:

Jack Monroe #77 Brenda's Beaver Needs A Sausage

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45

She even has mozzarella and mushrooms and tomato puree (stocktake!). She would just need to make the dough.

She could even put bacon and sliced sausage on it!

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Now considering the fact JM apparently spends her evenings with her son, wouldn’t it be great for him to have an input on the foods he eats, coupled with some time with Mama and discussion.
Why’s she making dinner now?

This is purely a nagging instinct, but I am not sure that he is even with her this week. All this cooking at strange times, well before the meal is required, makes me think that she is just churning out content for her £20 a week output. Wildly speculative, but I can't shake this thought that she is cooking when convenient between Twitter and erratic daytime sleeps, splitting the cheap stuff between the fox and the bin (à la Edinburgh) whilst heating up the Ocado ready meals when hungry. The occasions when he has been needlessly photographed in previous weeks just jarred as intermittent parenting broadcasts.

• Wow
  • Heart
I strongly suspect she's read "A Very Brief Introduction to Marx" and thinks that banging on about agency makes her sound clever.

What she's missing is that agents generally only act within the bounds of structures or systems, and the micro-system that she's created for SB is so fucked it doesn't matter whether he feels he has "agency" over his sandwich shape, the poor little sod is being brought up (up to 50% of the time, anyway) by a narcissist. That'll leave him disempowered no matter whether he's eating bollock sausages on square or rectangular bread.

I also wonder whether she's making a bit of a dig at her own parents by making out that she's so free and easy and allowing SB to make all these Very Important Choices. Can you imagine the rage when she was told no? Still simmering away two decades later.
I know what has its own agency in her household.
The mirror 😳

B2AB0EEE-9D9F-413E-9DD7-32A4EA340E17.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 58
She really is the laziest and most irrelevant "activist", isn't she?

Firstly, her whole schtick about paying nurses more is, IMO, drastically outdated. The majority of nurses are paid a liveable wage (ok it's not amazing for the importance of their existence but it's commensurate with teachers salary, who do just as vital work - the issue here is that traditionally female work is paid badly), with well-delineated banding, decent pensions, and the opportunity to work bank shifts which are pretty lucrative. Yes, nursing unions are asking for a 12.5% payrise, and rightfully, but actually this should be a general strike in which all traditionally underpaid professions should be campaigning to receive what is deserved for their labour. But Jackie is, at heart, a populist. Nurses win hearts and minds, so she can clap back if anyone questions it. She couldn't bear a chunk of the population to get a raise if she didn't benefit.

Secondly, what the duck is her beef with Michelin restaurants? Not everyone who eats at them is rich, they couldn't possibly be sustained if that was the case. One of my greatest joys is eating out at posh restaurants: we save for it as a real treat. And even if their clientele were exclusively wealthy, they employ kitchen hands and pot washers and waiting staff who almost certainly aren't - what are they supposed to do without jobs?

Finally... she's very happy to be a shouty little bleep snarking about government policies on her locked Twitter, like a big brave girl, but I bet she's an absolute arse kisser in any other circumstance, seeking as she does to work with the government in her "advisory capacity".
Agreed
People quite rightly champion Nurses as public servants but are strangely reticent to big up people like council workers or Prison guards.
Nurses are amazing and completely deserving of a pay rise, but so are all public sector workers.
Not to ⚠ myself but workwise I have a lot to do with Local Authorities and those poor sods work hard. They don't earn much, get abused by the public and shat on by bosses. However I don't see the likes of Jackie giving mere 'office workers' the same misty eyed rhetoric as NHS and of course her previous comrades in the Fire Service🙄
That wouldn't be crusade worthy for Melissa......

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Why the duck is she even mentioning the little girl and her age. If I was that child’s mum she would be getting a cease and desist letter ASAP. Like literally do not ever ever ever bleeping ever talk about my kid you toxic bleep. Sorry, I’ve gone all Lock Stock Vinnie Jones. I have a 100% success rate of people not talking about my kids on Twitter 💅

I do wonder if some of her ‘I’m fake poor’ tit when her son was about one... was a narcissistic dig at the dad and his new baby/wife? Can you imagine her as your partners ex? He’d be like “My ex is a psycho” yeah course she is mate, we’ve all heard that before, oh wait....
I have missed where she talks about his sibling, that's naughty to be doing that

• Heart
Reactions: 16
It is like she doesn't notice a trend until it is nearly over.
I imagine she waits until she knows exactly what the general consensus on a situation is, and everyone else has had their say so she can rehash the same stuff as if it's her original thoughts

• Heart
Reactions: 37
This is purely a nagging instinct, but I am not sure that he is even with her this week. All this cooking at strange times, well before the meal is required, makes me think that she is just churning out content for her £20 a week output. Wildly speculative, but I can't shake this thought that she is cooking when convenient between Twitter and erratic daytime sleeps, splitting the cheap stuff between the fox and the bin (à la Edinburgh) whilst heating up the Ocado ready meals when hungry. The occasions when he has been needlessly photographed in previous weeks just jarred as intermittent parenting broadcasts.
Am I right in saying the sausage & tiny veg dish appeared on the ‘Autumn collage’ beforehand, so she didn’t actually make it for tea on the night she said she did? She said SB ‘loved it’ but if she was lying about even making it that night then that could fit your theory.

ETA: I honestly couldn’t care less if SB is with her or with his father, and I don’t particularly think that we or her followers should be privy to that information either. I just find lying about small things strange - she could just post recipes and not lie about when they were made, what difference does it make?!

• Heart
It is like she doesn't notice a trend until it is nearly over.
Yup, I'm surprised she's not tweeted about bubble tea or (even further back) those god awful shopping centre stalls where you put your feet in a bowl of leeches 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.